Chapter 6 - Something's Off

Bittersweet Symphony

“Fine. Then make one for me.”

Yuna feels that she wanted to die right now as she heard Jonghyun’s words. Oh my God! He is right! I’M REALLY STUPID!! I sacrifice myself without no one asking for it!!! Oh I really hate myself right now!!! She sighed. “I—I’m afraid it won’t be that delicious…”

“Make one first so I can give a score.” Jonghyun said while putting his usual expression—no expression. “B—but sunbae—“

“Why? You wanna take your words back?” Jonghyun stared at her with his profound eyes.

“N—No, sunbae.” Yuna stuttered. It looks like if I said yes, I might turn into pieces...

Jonghyun looks satisfied—although he only showed it only for a few miliseconds before he changes back his expression into a cold one. “Well. I guess we’re done for now.”

Yuna finally got back her sense and realized that it’s time for her to go home. Without saying anything, she took her bag and bowed to Jonghyun in a hurry while mumbling, “Thank you very much for today.” Since she really wanted to leave that place right now after the unlucky situation which just happened to her. But before she even managed to walk to the front door, Jonghyun already blocked her way. “Anything else, sunbae?” she asked. Oh cmon, I really have to leave this place as soon as possible.

“Where’s your home?”

“Huh?”

“Your home, girl!”

“Wae—umm, around Yongsan...” Yuna was about to ask ‘why’ but she changed it in a hurry since Jonghyun already gave him a scary glare.

“Then, you’ll go by car. I have some business around that district.”

WHY??? WHY??? Oh My God, please help me! Why I should be in the same car again with him??? Yuna tried to maintain her calm expression although she was yelling panicky in her mind. “I’m okay with bus, sunbae...” she tried to escape from the situation.

Jonghyun stared at her once again with his profound eyes. “You’re okay as long as I’m not with you, is that what you mean?”

“Anii. Anii. No, it’s not like that.” Yuna shook her head in a hurry. Screwed me, how could he guess what’s on my mind right now!

“Then, take your things. I’m waiting on the basement two. F3 parking lot.”

God... there’s no other way to escape from this apartment? Oh, there is! Just jump out from here and I’ll surely escape from him... and also from world, stupid... Yuna sighed despairly. As usual, there’s no other choice. Fighting!

 

* * *

The Next Day

Jonghyun went out from his car leisurely when he figured out that there’s a familiar person was approaching him. That person was holding a small paperbag and he had to admit that right now, he’s trying hard not to show any movement of his lips, since his lips really wanted to create a smile right now as he figured what makes that person is walking towards him. But since, he really didnt like to show his kind act in front of women, so he just maintained his cold poker face.

“Annyeonghaseyo, sunbae.” Yuna bowed to him in a hurry. “Forgive me for appear so early like this.”

“And what is this about?” Jonghyun asked, always in his cold tone, while taking out his bag from the car seat.

“I... uhm... I’ve promised you yesterday, sunbae.” Yuna hardly to let out the words. Well actually it likes I was being tricked yesterday. She offered the paperbag to Jonghyun. “I apologize if it doesn’t suit your taste.” She muttered while trying not to stare at the guy in front of him. Please, just take it, ppalli!

“What’s inside the paperbag? You’re not poisoned me, right?” Jonghyun squinted.

Calm down, Yuna. If you show your emotion, it means you’re going to fail for your mid exam. “No, sunbae.” She tried to answer it patiently.

Jonghyun stared at the paperbag for a while, even makes Yuna thought that he wont take it, but in the end, he finally took the paperbag. “I’ll give your number to my doctor, in case something worst happened to me when I eat this.” He said before he walked to his faculty building. “Should I return the box?”

“No, sunbae.” Yuna shook her head in a hurry. No, please. Because it means I have to meet him again. Meet him when practicing together is already enough.

“Arasseo.” Jonghyun said nonchalantly and left her. Without even saying thank you. But somehow it’s good for Yuna, she doesnt need to spend another scary minutes with him.

“What a very polite guy…” Yuna grumbled softly and left the area. “How I wish I can put the poison there…”

 

 

 

“Having a good day?” Yonghwa asked when three of them were having a leisure time before the first class started. “It’s been a century since I saw your face is a bit lively…”

“Don’t exaggerate too much.” Jonghyun responded nonchalantly while strumming his guitar.

“But Yonghwa is true. At least, right now you look like a real human.” Jonghoon butted in.

“Excuse me? I am a human since I was born.”

“You heard that, Donghae? He said he is human, heol.” Yonghwa made a funny expression and laughed along with Jonghoon. “So, tell me, what’s that?”

“What’s what?” Jonghyun asked back while his eyes are still on the music sheet.

“Your progress?”

“What progress?”

“You with that piano girl.”

Jonghyun stopped his finger from strumming the guitar strings and gazed at Yonghwa. “She is still alive, as far as I know.”

Yonghwa chuckled along with Jonghoon. “But seems like she didn’t annoy you as much as the other girls. I mean, she is quite acceptable, right?” he turned to Jonghoon. “Why that girl is afraid of us?”

“No, not us. She’s afraid of male.” Jonghoon answered. “Hyejeong said that she has some male-phobia, I thought she was joking that time, but it’s true.”

“Did something happen with her in the past? Usually you won’t experience strange phobia if you didn’t have bad experience before…” Yonghwa glanced at Jonghyun. “Or she probably as strange as our Jonghyun…”

“No idea.” Jonghoon shook his head. “Jonghyun?” he turned to Jonghyun who just listened to them without let out any words.

Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. “No idea.”

“Your father will perform a concert??” Jonghoon suddenly changed the topic as he stared on his phonescreen, and in next second, he showed the screen to Jonghyun and Yonghwa, which has an article in it, with big fonts as the headline; The Genius Pianist, Lee Harry, to hold a piano concerto this fall in Korea.

“Wow, finally! I remembered last time he performed in Korea was three years ago…” Yonghwa looks excited. “Will you join, Jong?”

Jonghyun stared at Yonghwa with ‘are-you-crazy’ looks. “Not interest at all. I’m not majoring piano, also.” He said with flat tone. “I’m leaving first. Practicing time.” He said as he stood up and went out from the practice room.

“Things aren’t going better…” Jonghoon muttered when Jonghyun left. “Should we force him to attend the concert?”

“Of course. We already promised to his father to make him attend the concert no matter what.”

 

 

 

 

“We have to stand by in front of the PC tomorrow as soon as the ticket sale started. I remembered three years ago, all the tickets already sold out in 30 minutes.” Hyejeong commented as three of them read the article about Lee Harry’s upcoming piano concert.

“I never attend his live concert before, although I’m dying to. I always envy to people who can watch it, because they always said, it was like seeing and listening a beautiful magic.” Yuna mumbled. “Even when I watched it via youtube, he never failed to make me amazed.”

“Me too. I was late to join the ticket sale, when I logged in, it already sold out.” Mina grimaced. “My cousin watched the concert three years ago and she said it was perfect, watching Lee Harry’s live performance should be in the list of ‘things that we should do before we die.”

“How if we couldn’t get the ticket???” Hyejeong started to worry. “Are you sure you really can’t ask Lee Jonghyun sunbae to reserve some tickets for us??”

“This is the third time you’ve asked the same question and the answer is no, Hyejeong. We’re not even close!!” Yuna shook her head helplessly. “Hey, how’s about Seolhyun???? We can ask if she has any privilege or not, right??” something suddenly came across her mind.

“Omo! How can I forgot that Jonghyun sunbae is not the only one child of pianist Lee Harry??” Hyejeong facepalmed herself and dialed Seolhyun’s number in a hurry but she ended it as soon as she saw the person that she’s going to call is approaching them.

“Unnie!” Seolhyun approached them with her bright smile. “I was passing by on my way to class and I saw you three are here, unnie! Nice timing, because I actually have something… if unnie don’t mind…” she opened up her bag and search something. “I’m wondering if unnie wanted to watch this…” she took out a few tickets, which for Yuna, Hyejeong and Mina, she looks like pulling out a treasure.

“Oh my GOD!!! How did you know that we’re dying to get those things????” Hyejeong almost screamed out loud while Yuna and Mina squealed. “Are those for us???”

“Yes.Omo glad that you like it, unnie.” Seolhyun grinned and handed out three tickets for them. “The rest is for me, Jungshin, Yonghwa oppa, and Jonghoon oppa.” She showed the other tickets that left.

“Wait… you, Jungshin, Jonghoon sunbae, and Yonghwa sunbae…” Mina repeated Seolhyun’s words as her fingers also counted. “How about your brother, Jonghyun sunbae?”

Seolhyun’s expression turned a bit gloomy but she covered it with a smile in a hurry. “Well, oppa has something urgent to do, that’s why he’s still not sure whether he could attend or not.” She grimaced. “Then, I’m leaving, unnie. The class is about to start very soon.” She put back the tickets into her bag and waved to them before she ran towards the building.

“Daebak…” Hyejeong commented as she stared at the tickets. “We got free ticket, and not to mention, it’s VVIP!!! Seolhyun is jjang!”

“How lucky we are, aren’t we?” Yuna responded, full of excitement. “Although I wonder what kind of important thing that Lee Jonghyun sunbae has to do which makes him may couldn’t attend his father’s concert…” she mumbled as her mind recalled her meeting with Lee Harry a few days ago. The way he talked with his father is kinda… cold? Is it the reason why he probably won’t attend the concert…?  I wonder what’s going on between them.

* * *

 

“Jonghyun, come here.”

Jonghyun stared at the woman who wearing white clothes and was sitting on the bed. He stood still, eventhough the woman called him, although the woman smiled at him. But he didn’t move even an inch.

“Jonghyun…” that woman called again.

“Jonghyun, come here.” Another voice was heard behind him. He turned his head and saw a man, who was calling him. “Let’s go.” He pulled Jonghyun’s hands and took him to leave that woman.

“What happened with her?” Jonghyun asked as he walked beside that man.

That man turned at Jonghyun and smiled. “She's fine.”

“Sunbae?”

Jonghyun frowned. Another voice suddenly was heard out of nowhere.

“Uhm… sunbae?”

Jonghyun finally opened his eyes and found a girl was standing in front of the couch. He needs a few seconds to realize that right now he’s lying on the couch. And the woman in white clothes, also the man that hold his hands… were a part of his dream. He got up in a hurry, cursed himself silently because fell asleep—even had a strange dream—while waiting for his practicing-partner, which is now standing in front of him. “You’re here…” he mumbled with his husky voice, still regaining back his sense. “Let’s practice, then.”

 

 

 

Yuna stopped her playing after they finished the Aranjuez’s piece. She stared at Jonghyun, waiting for his words.

“I think you already played it pretty smooth.” Jonghyun commented while stepping on the guitar pedal randomly. He then turned silent for a while before he continued to speak again. “I have to admit it. I made a few mistakes in the middle.” He grimaced, totally look unsatisfied with himself.

Actually Yuna also realized that, although she’s too afraid to say it out loud. Fortunately—and surprisingly—Jonghyun admit it himself. Although it’s not a major mistake, but for a perfectionist like Jonghyun, who never made a mistake in playing since the very first time, it was quite surprising for Yuna. “It’s okay, sunbae. Probably, the timing is not that good today…” she carefully spoke. Actually I also realized something is different with him today. He seems not as focus as usual. There are a few times I noticed he looks like lost in his own mind. Usually he played by ‘feeling the music’, but this is the first time I didn’t see him like that…

Jonghyun put down his guitar and massaged his temple. “Sorry…” he almost whispered but Yuna still can heard it. “My bad.”

Yuna blinked her eyes several times, totally surprised as she heard that kind of words will be spoken by Jonghyun. “N—nevermind, sunbae.” She stuttered. Actually she thought she won’t continue her saying, but somehow she couldn’t help but keep speaking, couldn’t hold her curiosity, although in the next second, she hoped that she can take back his words. “Is there something wrong… today?”

At first Yuna thought that she will get a cold reply because the question is too personal, but surprisingly not. He sighed heavily. “Bad dream.” He muttered.

“Nee?”

“Just having a bad dream a while ago. And it bothers me until now.”

“W—what kind of dream?” Yuna encouraged herself to keep asking.

“I’m not sure… I think it’s my mother…”

“Pianist Lee Ji Hyun??” Yuna spontaneously say out the name.

Jonghyun stared at her for a few seconds. “I bet you googled it after meeting my father…” he snorted weakly. “Oh, why I’m telling you these all?” seems like he suddenly got his sense back and shook his head in disbelief. “Done for today. Same place, same time, tomorrow.” He stood up in a hurry and took his bag before he left the studio.

“What a strange guy…” Yuna muttered and followed him, leaving the studio. She went out from the White Star studio a few minutes later and about to walk towards the bus shelter when suddenly a white Lamborghini Reventon stopped in front of him. The roof of the car opened in the next second, showing the person in driver seat. “Get in.”

“Huh?”

“Get in.” Jonghyun repeated his words, although Yuna couldn’t still his expression because of the sunglasses that he’s wearing right now. “I won’t get down and opened the car for you, it won’t happen, so get in!”

If only Yuna can cursed him loudly, she really wanted to do it right now. But instead of that, she opened the car’s door and entered. “Where are we going?” she asked when she saw the GPS aren’t directing them to her house.

“Dinner.”

“DINNER?? Both of us??” Yuna unconsciously raised her voice.

“As for the morning breakfast, I’m paying you back.” Jonghyun glanced at her—or that’s what Yuna thought since she couldn’t see Jonghyun’s eyes which covered with the sunglasses.

“But it’s still too early to have a dinner, though…” Yuna commented after she accepted the purpose why Jonghyun asked him to have a dinner.

“I know, I need to visit a place first.” Jonghyun answered shortly.

 

 

 

“Are you sick, sunbae?” Yuna asked when Jonghyun parked his car in the parking area of hospital, but as usual, Jonghyun didn’t even bother to answer her but just entered the hospital, and Yuna didn’t have any choice except to follow him.

Jonghyun kept walking until he stopped in front of a room which has a name sign on it; Doctor Jung Kyo Min – Internist. He knocked the door softly before he entered.

“Jonghyun! You’re here already.” a middle age man who’s wearing a white coat, greeted him. Seems like he already knew that Jonghyun will visit him. “Oh, you brought your girlfriend??” he asked in excited tone when he saw Yuna.

“No!” Yuna and Jonghyun answered in unison. “Ahjussi, this is a junior in my college who worked with me for the purpose of successfully passed the mid exam. And, this is Doctor Jung.” Jonghyun introduced them to each other.

“Ah I see.” Doctor Jung smiled at Yuna. “Nice to know you, Miss Seo.” He greeted warmly, which was also replied politely by Yuna. “What’s the matter, Jonghyun? Why you suddenly wanted to visit me? Did you miss me that much?”

“As if.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes and seated himself on the couch, along with Yuna. “Ahjussi, can you give me my mother’s medical record?”

Doctor Jung looks a bit surprised with Jonghyun’s straightforward words. He stared at him with curious expression. “Why suddenly?”

 

 

 


hello.

Woah it's been 3 years since my last update for this story.

I'm not sure whether there are still people who read this, I just suddenly wanted to update this, although no one read it anymore, it's okay~

because right now I'm trying to continue some of my stories which is still left uncompleted (well except for CB, it's a bit hard~ hehehe)

well, I apologize for leaving this story for too long. I sincerely apologize.