Chapter 3 - Something Strange

Bittersweet Symphony

Jonghyun drove the car leisurely across the road while a compilation of Beatles song were echoing smoothly inside the car. Just looks like a peaceful scene in some dramas. But actually it’s very contrasted with Yuna’s feeling right now. Up until now, almost thirty minutes after they left the campus, she still couldn’t stay calm, inside. She even can heard her heart thumped crazily because of afraid. It’s because Jonghyun, until now, still didn’t tell her about their destination. Well, actually they even didn’t exchange any words yet except when he told Yuna to keep quiet. But one thing that makes Yuna feels better is the car’s roof which was opened. At least, I can stood up and jumped from this car if he’s going to do something bad on me, such as… my blood.

“How long you’ve been waiting?” Jonghyun asked while still focusing on the road.

“Nee? Ah… maybe almost two hours…” Yuna answered, slightly surprised. Since he’s so rare to speak normally so it surprised me…

“Don’t you think you’re so stupid?”

“Huh?” Okay I got my words back. He’s seriously never talk in good manner! “I don’t know where should I find you in that building...” Yuna said. “Sunbae.” She added it half-hearted.

“Stupid…” Jonghyun muttered the words while turning the car to the left. Seems like their destination already been known by Yuna. It was the same place that they’ve practiced together last time. But before the car entered the parking zone, it stopped suddenly.

“Oh waeyo?” Yuna asked in surprised. Fortunately I’m still putting my seatbelt on. Is he trying to let my head hit the dashboard?

Damn! Why that old man’s car is there! Jonghyun cursed in his mind. Actually the reason why he suddenly did a dangerous maneuver towards his car is because he noticed his Dad’s car was parked leisurely in front of White Star Studio. And the last person that he wanted to meet in this world is him, for now. Or forever. He the car’s engine once again and left the building with a fast speed.

“Where are we going?? Why you left the studio??”

Ah! I forgot that there’s someone else here… He took a quick glance at Yuna and found that she looks scared with his sudden act. “Just practice in other place.” As long as it’s far away from that old man…

“Where??” Yuna asked back, still confused with Jonghyun’s strange act. What’s the reason? He just looks slightly surprised when we arrived in front of the building and without any warnings, he started to leave it in a dangerous speed. What happened with him???

Jonghyun didn’t answer Yuna’s question right away. Actually he, himself, didn’t know what’s the right answer. It just happened in a flash yet he still didn’t think another place for them for practice together. There must be other studios here in Seoul but it’s very hard to get one of them if they didn’t make an appointment at least an hour before.

“Jeogiyo!” Yuna almost lost her patience when she saw Jonghyun just remained silent. “Why it has to be other place? Aren’t we suppose to practice there? Just like yesterday?”

“Can you just stop for being so loud??” Jonghyun stepped the car’s brake harshly once again and looked at Yuna with annoying face—or Yuna guessed like that, because he is wearing sunglasses. “Don’t you hear me? We can’t practice there! Why you still couldnt be quiet??” he unconsciously raised his voice, and in next second, for the first time he was slightly regretting his act. Yes, for the first time. He usually didn’t care if the girls were feeling hurt because of his rude act and his harsh words. But now, he saw something different. The guilty feeling came acrossed him as he see Yuna was startled because of his voice. She looks being cornered. Her face were flashing the afraid expression and her whole body was trembling. She even couldn’t raise her head. Jonghyun looked at her cluelessly. He’s been well known as a bad guy, so he never know how to apologize to any girls. He even didn’t know how to make the girls feel better. But did I say something wrong? I mean, I’m just telling her to be quiet. It doesn’t mean that I’m going to hit her… Then Why she had such kind of reaction? Is it mean that… the thing that her friends told me about her, who’s afraid of guy, is true…? He exhaled loudly. “I have my own reason why we couldn’t practice there. And I don’t like if people keep asking my privacy. Understand? If you already understand, then it means we should find a new place for practice. Do you have a piano on your home? And guitar amplifier?” he asked, since he really didn’t know how to deal with the situation so he just acted like nothing happened. Yeah, I’m a very bad guy, don’t need to repeat it.

It takes a while until Yuna finally calmed herself. Although her expression is still so stiff. “I only have piano and keyboard…” she said with low voice. Don’t tell me we’re going to practice in my home! Maldo andwae! It’s very dangerous to invite a guy when I lived alone…Maldo andwae!

Jonghyun thought for a while. Then seems like we have no choice rather than my house?? Aish ige mwoya… For my whole life, I never let any girls to enter my house… Oh, ignoring of Jonghoon and Yonghwa who often came with their girl—ah their ex-es, which always makes me so annoying. He cleared his throat. “Then my house.”

“MWO??? Shireo!!” Yuna spontaneously responds. He told me to practice in his house??? I never visited any guys’ house for my whole life! Especially a house of vampire guy! Andwae! Andwae! I might die of fright!

“Wae?? You want the others to come???” Jonghyun gave a deadly stare at Yuna. Somehow… I feel that sometimes she stepped on my pride. I mean, usually I’m the one who always rejected all of offers from the girls. I rare—no—I never being rejected with any girls for my whole life, and she is the first!! I don’t know why but it makes me so annoying… “Then I’ll call Jonghoon and Yonghwa to come.”

Mwo?? Aish is he understand or no??? I’m already scared of just him, and now he’s going to invite two more people called GUYS???? “Can I invite my friends too?” she encouraged herself to ask. Okay I know that I might sounds so thick-skinned because I’m not the house owner, but what can I do?? Beside… I think it’ll useless… Didn’t he hate women as well? It’s impossible if he agreed…

Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows as he heard Yuna’s request. He took off his sunglasses and throwed it harshly to the dashboard. “Hey miss, did you forget that I really hate women so much??” he asked, almost lost his patience but then he realized that he gave Yuna a wrong choice too. Ah… Calling Jonghoon and Yonghwa will just make her became more depressed… Aish how frustrating! He tutted his tongue and started to think of another way. Ah! He suddenly raised his head and looked at Yuna. “I rejected your request. And I won’t call Jonghoon and Yonghwa too.”

Yuna frowned. “Then?”

“As long as there’s one or more women and less guys, then you’ll be fine, right?” Jonghyun asked back, seems like he tried to make sure of something.

Yuna wanted to say as long as THERE IS NO GUY, she’ll be fine, but she held it up, afraid if Jonghyun started to get annoying again. Moreover, she thought that it’s still bearable for her if the condition is just like Jonghyun said, so she nodded her head.

“Fine. It’s settled, then.” Jonghyun said and started to turn the car’s engine once again.

 

 

“What are we doing here? Is there a studio here?” Yuna asked as she and Jonghyun arrived in front of the biggest and the most expensive apartment in Apgeujongdong. But Jonghyun didn’t answer her. He just drove the car straightly to the entrance and stopped at the security check. At first, she thought that Jonghyun will introduce himself, but the security officer just bowed at him politely and let him to enter. It tooks few seconds for Yuna until she finally realized the situation. She turned her head at Jonghyun in surprised—almost shocked. “This is your house, sunbae????” And her jaw dropped as she saw Jonghyun just nodded nonchalantly while parking his car. Woah… he must be so rich then. Yuna thought and followed him to get down from the car while still putting a disbelief expression. Then it means he lived with his family? Aah… that’s why he asked me like that before. I bet, the other woman is of course his mom… Well… that’s a relief…

 

* * *

 

Yuna walked out from the elevator when it arrived on 21st floor. Since he and Jonghyun took different elevator, she can see Jonghyun already there. Yuna approached him in a hurry when she saw Jonghyun already input the passcode on the door.

Jonghyun entered the house as the door opened. He raised his eyebrows when he saw a pair of woman shoes already there. As expected… He’s about to enter the guest room when he realized Yuna didn’t follow him. He turned his head back and saw Yuna is still standing in front of the door. “Ah. I forgot. Come in.” he said. Since I never invited anyone—just don’t count Yonghwa and Jonghoon who always entered without being invited—so I forgot to say something like that.

Yuna nodded and entered Jonghyun’s house. She looked around the house and once again feel amazed with the elegant interior. Ah, actually there’s no so many furnitures in this house, but it’s elegant. Very elegant with white and blue color that dominated the house. But… why it feels so quiet?

“My studio is in the second floor. You can go there first. The 2nd door on your left.” Jonghyun pointed the location of his studio upstairs.

“Then where is your family, sunbae? I should greet them first.” Omma always taught me to greet the owner first when I visited their house. Beside I have to make sure that he's not lying at me...

“Huh? Who do you expect to meet? I’m the only one who lived here.” Jonghyun said nonchalantly while taking out a bottle of water then drink it.

“Mwo?? Alone?? Then what do you mean before?? That there’s other people in your house??” Yuna asked, started panicky. Eiy maldo andwae! He’s lying, right? Isn’t it even possible for a student to live alone in such a very expensive apartment???

“Oppa! OH???”

Both Jonghyun and Yuna turned their gaze at the source. Yuna raised her eyebrows when she saw a pretty girl—maybe one or two years younger than her—walked down from the second floor and approached them. That girl looks surpised when she saw Yuna. “Omo! So beautiful!!” that girl exclaimed with full of excitement while approaching Yuna.

Yuna bowed at that girl politely. Although she still didn’t know who’s that cheerful and pretty girl. She glanced at Jonghyun and found that Jonghyun’s expression is kinda stiff. “Annyeonghaseyo. Seo Yuna imnida…” she introduced herself to that girl.

“Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Seolhyun.” That girl smiled brightly. “Ah! Why I feel déjà vu when I see you… uhm… don’t tell me by any chance, are you a friend of Hyejeong unnie?”

Yuna’s face turned surprise with that girl’s question. She knew Hyejeong? “Ah yes. I’m Hyejeong’s friend.”

“Ah!!!!” Seolhyun clapped her hands loudly while still smiling. “I was right! Actually I’m Hyejeong’s hoobae in Modern Dancing department. 1st year. Ah, then can I call you unnie rather than sunbae??? Please...”

“S—sure…” Yuna nodded.

That girl clapped again and then turned at Jonghyun, who just silently watching them. “Oppa, you didn’t tell me that you have a very beautiful girlfriend!!”

“NO!” Jonghyun and Yuna answered in unison, made Seolhyun looked at them while raised her eyebrows. “Yya, you, stop talking nonsense! And why you’re here, hm?? I’m so sick for telling you every day to not come here leisurely, don’t you get it?” Jonghyun asked with his cold voice to Seolhyun.

Seolhyun pouted, but seems like Jonghyun’s words didn’t affect on her. “You didn’t come last n—“

“Do you want to shut up your mouth or being kick out from here?” Jonghyun gave her a deadly gaze, made Seolhyun shut up in a hurry. “Just stop for being so loud and bring her to the studio upstairs,” he said with firm words to Seolhyun. “I’ll go after you in a minute.” He added it while looking at Yuna and then entered one of room there.

“Cmon unnie, let’s go upstairs!” Seolhyun linked her arms to Yuna happily. And somehow it makes Yuna wondering what is Seolhyun’s relationship with Jonghyun. His family? Or friend? Or maybe girlfriend? But why Jonghyun treated her so rude like that? And why she can accept his act so nonchalantly? She kept wondering about it without realizing that they finally entered the studio. Once again, it makes Yuna feel amazed once again. Feels like she just entered the studio in White Star that she visited yesterday. The instruments, the interior, all of them is very similar. Maybe the difference is only, in this studio, there’s a recording room. Seems like he wrote songs too… oh, and about the keyboard and the piano… why they was covered with white cloth? Seems like those instrument hasn't been played for a long time…

“So unnie, what’s your major?” Seolhyun made Yuna back from her mind-talking.

“Piano-keyboard department…” Yuna answered while smiling. “Oh, waeyo? Did I say something wrong?” she asked in concerned tone when she saw Seolhyun’s expression was changed.

“Ah… anii…” Seolhyun shook her head. “I’m just surprised because as we all knew that majority of piano departments students are women. And Jonghyun oppa actually never had any girls as his friend… Unnie is the first. Ah, you and Jonghyun oppa are friends, right?”

“Uhm… I don’t think so. Actually he’s the one who will accompany me for my mid-exam next two weeks. Just it. I think it couldn’t be count as friends yet…”

“Jonghyun oppa agreed to accompany your concerto? Jeongmal? Wah… I can’t imagine that. How can it turn out like that, unnie?” Seolhyun asked curiously.

“Well… actually he was kinda being forced by his friends—Jonghoon and Yonghwa sunbae. Jonghoon sunbae is close with Hyejeong, and that’s the time when all of us met. Hyejeong talked about my problem that I still couldn’t find anyone from Guitar department to collaborate with me, and since Jonghoon and Yonghwa sunbae already have someone to collaborate with, then they told Jonghyun sunbae to do it with me…” Yuna explained. “If I can added, he agreed with half-hearted…” Just like me…

Seolhyun nodded while grinning. “No wonder you noticed it, unnie. Jonghyun oppa hate women so much. That’s why I was surprised when you told me about this. But I’m totally amazed with you, unnie. You can overcome his cold act and survived until now… well, I think you should receive a good reward… No one—or no girl—can bear his cold acts for a long time…” she smiled nicely at Yuna.

“Well. I should admit sometimes I think I couldn’t bear it too…” Yuna grimaced and laughed together with Seolhyun. This is her first meeting with Seolhyun but she feels so enjoy to talk with her. “Uhm, Seolhyun-ssi—“

“Ah unnie, why you still called me using honorific? Just call me Seolhyun.”

“Arasseo, Seolhyun. Can I ask something?” Yuna asked carefully.

“Sure, unnie. What is it?”

Yuna feels hesitant to ask for a while. “At first, forgive me if my question sound unmannered. Uhm… you… and Jonghyun sunbae… what is your... uhm…”

“I’m his dongsaeng, unnie. I mean a truly biological younger sister.” Seolhyun answered. Seems like she knew what is Yuna going to ask. “But I’m not living here with him...”

So, she’s his dongsaeng… well no wonder that she’s so beautiful like that. It must be the genes. But how can they have a very opposite personality?? She's so bright and cheerful. She can make peole around her feel s comfortable to talk with her. Sibling??? Woah... but he even acted so rude towards her… Isn’t he a bad brother? Yuna thought in her mind, couldn’t say it out. But once again, seems like Seolhyun can read her mind.

“Well. As I said before that oppa hates women so much. Even me, as his sister, is included too, unnie.” Seolhyun smiled weakly as she saw Yuna’s disbelief face. “Yes, as you saw before, that is his usual way to talk with me, unnie…”

“But you’re his dongsaeng…” Yuna said in concerned tone. “Don’t you feel hurt, Seolhyun-ah?”

“Well… at first, yes, of course. Honestly he’s been like that since long ago. Even since we’re little, he was already like that. I remembered that time, I always cried and begged in front of his room if he ignored me and just play with the other boys. And then sometimes, I yelled at him, saying that he’s a bad oppa. But, none of all my acts affected him. He’s still a cold oppa, who hates girl, even hates his own sister. But strangely, although he treated me like that, I couldn’t do the same. Whenever I yelled at him or threw my anger at him, although he didn’t respond me, but sooner or later, I always feel guilty towards him. That’s why, as I grew up, I started to understand his character. And here I am… Oppa and I might couldn’t become like the other siblings who was taking care of each other. But for me, no matter how rude he is, I’m still proud of being his younger sister…” Seolhyun grinned after the long explanation. “Because I believe that oppa has a kind heart actually. I do believe it. Even you can see it unnie. I often showed up here in his house although he always told me not to come here, sometimes he even raised his voice at me. But although I was ignoring his words, he never did something bad at me, such as kicked me out. Never. So, that’s why I think oppa is still has a kind heart, at least…”

Yuna remained silent for a moment. Actually she still couldn’t understand why Jonghyun had to be so cold towards his sister. I mean… there are so many people who wanted to have siblings… he should be thankful that he has a very nice dongsaeng who understood him so well… His sister even still have a good thought about him... Does he even have a heart??

Seolhyun chuckled as she saw Yuna’s expression. “You must be hardly to agree with me, unnie, right? Actually I was saying like that because I can feel it. Although he’s an ignorant oppa, but I remember that he’s always protected me, of course without trying to show it up. I don’t know if it’s on purpose or not but I’m happy for that… and it’s enough for me…”

Yuna still wanted to ask more but she shut up in a hurry when the door was opened and showing Jonghyun’s presence. He entered the room and walked to the guitar amplifier. He looked at Yuna, who was still standing beside Seolhyun without doing anything.

“Yya, aren’t you going to practice?” he asked coldly.

“Ah… Ye…” Yuna nodded in a hurry, but then her face became confused. “Can I use that keyboard, sunbae?” she asked carefully while pointing at the keyboard which was covered. She noticed that Seolhyun’s expression became tense and glanced at Jonghyun, while Jonghyun’s expression is still cold as usual.

“Do you think there’s another keyboard here?” he asked back and turned around to check his amplifier again, while facingback Yuna, who carefully took off the white cloth from the keyboard.

Actually It makes me so curious… why only piano and keyboard who were covered like that? And… Seolhyun’s expression… I noticed that her expression was changed too when I said that I’m from piano department… Is there something that related between Jonghyun and piano…? Come to think of it, last time when I found him was playing piano, he told me not to tell anyone about that… Yuna thought while silently glancing at Seolhyun’s expression once again. She noticed that Seolhyun was staring at the keyboard and Jonghyun with strange expression. Again… what happened here, actually?

“Uhm, since oppa and unnie are going to practice, I think I’ll leave for no—“

“No!” Jonghyun cutted his words, and it makes Seolhyun looked at him with surprised face. Seems like this is the first time that her oppa told him not to leave. Even Jonghyun looks a bit awkward after he spoke like that. He cleared his throat and tilted his head at Yuna. “Don’t get me wrong. She’s the one who needs you, not me.”

Seolhyun’s curious eyes turned at Yuna. “Yuna unnie? Waeyo?”

“Can you just ask her later? We need to practice. Let’s start then.” Jonghyun spoke out once again, made Seolhyun just pouted and sat diligently on the couch. Yuna gave him a smile before she started to play the piano, as an apologize, and her face became brightened again.

 

* * *

“Waah!! Daebaak!” Seolhyun clapped her hands vigorously as Jonghyun and Yuna finished the practice. “Ah unnie, you’re so awesome. I wish I can play Aranjuez as amazing as yours, too…” she stared at Yuna with adore eyes. “Can you teach me how to play unnie? Actually I knew how to play piano… but only the basic…”

“Seolhyun, be quiet first." Jonghyun warned his sister and looked at Yuna with his killer eyes. "Do you notice your mistake during the practice?” he asked before Yuna managed to respond Seolhyun's words.

“Yes, sunbae…” Yuna nodded, admiring her fault. “I missed the tempo in the middle first.”

“Oh jinjja? But it doesn’t affect your amazing play, un—“

“SEOLHYUN, BE QUIET!” Jonghyun glared at his sister, then turned his eyes back at Yuna. “Right. Missed the tempo especially in the middle first will reduce your point up until 20 in mid exam, did you know about that?”

“No…” Yuna shook her head weakly and looked down. “Forgive me, sunbae.”

“Another mistake?”

Yuna took a deep breath before she answered it. Feels like I was already in my mid exam and is being judged right now. “I couldnt get the two notes in third part so thats why I skipped them, sunbae…”

“And it will reduce 10 point for each notes that you’ve skipped.” Jonghyun said while putting down his guitar. “How much points that you suppose to get? 60? If you didn’t tend to improve your skill, for me you’ll only get around 30 points in your mid exam later. Do you think you can pass with 30 points? Modern keyboard class need at least 75 points to get passed.”

“Mianhamnida, sunbae. I will try hard.” Yuna said in lower voice. Somehow she thought that Jonghyun was right, that’s why she accepted all of his words, although it’s a bit harsh.

“Three days from now, I won’t tolerate any mistakes from you. If there’s still any, even one, then I’ll withdraw. Just go find another person that will collaborate with you. I dont want to embarrass myself just because your lack of practice and skills. Do I make myself clear?” Jonghyun heartlessly spoke with firm voice. He then stood up. “Done for today . And you,” he turned at Seolhyun. “You have to leave too. I want to sleep and I don’t anyone to disturb me. Don’t you dare to stay!” and with that, he left the studio.

“Humph, what a very grumpy oppa.” Seolhyun commented as Jonghyun already disappeared from their sight. “Mianhae unnie. You must be hurt because of his harsh words…” she went to Yuna’s side and hugged her.

“Aniiyo. He was right, actually so it doesn’t make me feel hurt.” Yuna shook her head and smiled. “Then, I think I’ll take my leave now.”

“Can I have a walk together with you, unnie?” Seolhyun pleaded.

“You’re going to leave too?”

Seolhyun grimaced and nodded. “Oppa might kill me if I kept make him feel annoying. Then, can I, unnie? Please…” she begged. “Beside, I want to talk so many things with you unnie…”

Yuna smiled. “Sure. Let’s go then.”

 

 

 


annyeong ^^

here's the 3rd chapter. sorry if it still didnt satisfy you T.T and sorry if I took too long to update it T.T pls forgive me

please drop ur comment if u want to suggest or critic or anything to me ^^ i'll gladly accept it ^^

WELCOME AND THANK YOU for my lovely SUBSCRIBERS, READERS, UPVOTERS, UR COMMENTS, and all of you who supported this story^^

see ya next chapt.

PS : I'm still hoping that this couple is real. Sometimes I get the feeling that there's something different with their interacts. ^^ is there anyone who feel the same? XD