Chapter 9

Gone 너만 없다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun was shining down on the chilly weather. Saturday had arrived. Luhan was fondling with his hands, trying to get rid of his anxiety. After his drinking experience last night, he woke up early with a headache. His buddy Minseok was at his apartment to wake him up. Eric was sent to buy hangover soup for Luhan. After breakfast, the best friends got ready for the wedding. Luhan received his parents and they stood outside the wedding hall. The Lu family and the Park family greeted guests who were arriving. Hyerin arrived with her in-laws. The families greeted each other and congratulations were exchanged.

The Kim’s walked into the hall, and saw Minseok near the stage. Minseok saw them and waved. He unconsciously stared at Hyerin before he realized that he was analyzing what she wore. Hyerin was looking at him, confused about what he was staring at. Minseok looked at her eyes for a second before looking back at his speech. Hyerin looked away too, and sat down with her in-laws.

 

The groom was announced. Luhan walked down the aisle and stood next to his best man. Minseok pat his shoulder as Luhan heaved a sigh of relief. Next, the bride was announced. The lady in white walked down the aisle accompanied by her father. Minseok looked at Jungah and thought how everything would have been different if not for Hyerin. Luhan would be his heartbroken best man, if he would still be the best man. Minseok looked at Hyerin. She appeared to be deep in thought too, not looking at the bride at all. Hyerin, he thought. Minseok snapped out of it and stayed joyful for the joyous couple.

The best man stepped up to the podium and gave his speech. “I’ve never seen a love that has blossomed this fast before. Four weeks!” The congregation chuckled at his exclamation. “I remember when Luhan came into the lounge and told me about this dancer that he had asked out. He was so excited. You are probably his first girlfriend, Jungah-ssi,” Minseok looked to Jungah, “And may you be his last. Even before the second date, Luhan was already preparing. He wanted to impress Jungah-ssi so badly he even went for facials.”

The congregation chuckled some more as Jungah stopped Luhan from getting up and attacking Minseok. “I’ll tell you another secret, Jungah-ssi. Luhan was very scared last night about this marriage.” Luhan looked ready to get off his chair again. “He was afraid that he would hurt you and let you down. He was worried that you two would have arguments over trivial matters and have super cheesy moments the next. He wants the best for you, Jungah-ssi. And a man like that, you don’t have to worry about. He will aspire to be your hero for eternity.”

Jungah looked lovingly at Luhan. Luhan was relieved that Minseok spoke words he would never say. He was glad that his wife would know his heart even if he wouldn’t express it.

Jungah and Luhan gave their individual speeches. Jungah included Hyerin in her speech, much to the Kims’ surprise. Jungah thanked Hyerin for pushing her to follow her heart. The Kim’s, needless to say, shuffled a little in their seats. Hyerin lowered her head apologetically to her in-laws. Minseok couldn't turn to look at Hyerin. What was running through her mind?

 

After the wedding, the Hyerin’s in-laws congratulated their friends and left. Mr. Kim had a board meeting later that day. Hyerin sat in the dining hall with her classmates as they chatted. She smiled as they laughed about a memory they all shared. Minseok came and sat down next to her with a plate of food. Her classmates greeted him and he returned the greetings. “Did you eat?” he asked. “A bit,” she replied, “The duck is good.”

“Really?” he got up and left the table. He came back with another plate, on it pieces of duck. “I got some for you,” he said to her. Her female classmates cooed and Minseok smiled shyly.

“How did Eomoni and Ahbeoji react to Jungah’s speech?” Minseok asked softly. “They were uncomfortable,” she replied, “But they weren’t upset.” Minseok noticed that she was poking the duck with her chopsticks. “Eat,” he ordered. She slowly picked up the piece of duck and ate. “Are you okay?” he asked softly. She nodded slowly. “You look very pretty,” he offered and she smiled. “You should have seen Butler Song’s difficulty in picking a dress. He was uncomfortable telling me I looked prettier in one dress than another,” she replied.

He couldn’t take it anymore. “Something’s bothering you,” he let it out, “Tell me what it is.” She looked at him with pursed lips and hesitation, but she gave in, “Did you imagine what it would be like if you married Jungah-sunbaenim? I felt uncomfortable sitting in the hall knowing that could have been you next to her.”

“Are you jealous?” Minseok joked. “NO,” Hyerin said and rolled her eyes. Minseok chuckled, but his heart was racing with hesitation. His hand slowly moved towards her, and he decidedly held her hand. “I’m glad I ended up with you,” he said, “I thought about it, actually. I imagined Luhan not talking to me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter