Chapter 7

Gone 너만 없다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyerin woke up and walked to the bathroom, leaving Minseok in bed still sleeping soundly. After washing up, she hit Minseok to wake him up before she headed downstairs to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. The television was on with the sound of the morning show playing from the living room. She happily hummed a traditional tune as she prepared the small servings of side dishes. She picked up two plates and turned to the dining table, before she jumped with a shrill and dropped the two plates.

“Young mistress, are you alright?” Butler Song looked worriedly at her. “Please forgive me for scaring you. Please stay there until I get a broom to clear up the mess,” he said hurriedly before rushing off to the broom closet.

Thuds came quickly as Minseok ran down the stairs. “NEO KWAENCHANA?” he asked with a raised voice while Hyerin stood in place and turned to look at him. “Don’t come here!” she stretched her hand out to him. “What happened?” he asked frantically.

“Forgive me, young master,” Butler Song returned with a broom, “I appeared to have surprised the young mistress when I came in.”

“Butler Song?!” Minseok was equally surprised, “What are you doing here?!”

“The madam sent me, sir,” the butler answered.

Minseok only let a sigh. “Of course she would,” he murmured.

 

After the eventful breakfast, the couple was being driven to school. Minseok was getting increasingly frustrated although it was just morning. The couple had received a new driver too, from his parents. His name was Moon Jung-hyuk. No doubt, he was related to their family driver Moon –Jung-hyuk was his son. Minseok questioned himself internally about how many spies his mother was planning to place around him. There was no way that they could escape from the watch of his mother.

Minseok was also frustrated by how quickly Driver Moon had won over HIS wife. In fact, they were chuckling over something in the car at the moment. “Wow Eric, that’s really good,” Hyerin was referring to his rapping. Looking out through the window, Minseok scowled at how Hyerin was just playing right into Driver Moon’s –Eric’s- hands. Then he felt someone touch his. He turned and saw Hyerin’s hand on his. She sent him a look of concern. He turned his hand to squeeze hers before retracting his hand. Hyerin slowly retracted her hand and placed it on her lap. Without the couple knowing, Eric had observed them through the rear view mirror.

 

The car arrived at Hyerin’s school as usual. Hyerin thanked Eric politely before getting out of the car. “Stay in the car,” Minseok said to Eric before getting out. “Hyerin-ah!” he called out to her who had already walked on. She stayed in her spot with a smile as Minseok walked over to him. “What is it?” she asked.

Putting his hands in his coat pocket, he looked around at the campus. “Try not to be too friendly to Eric or Butler Song,” he said nonchalantly. Hyerin was lost, “What?”

“You heard me,” he replied and repeated, “My mother sent them to check up on us. They’ll probably send reports back to them about us. So don’t be too open with them, especially Eric. He’s trying to win your trust.”

Hyerin’s smile faltered. “You know,” she said, patting his shoulder still smiling, “Maybe you should try to make a good report for them to give some time, instead of being such a cynic all the time!” She brushed his cheek with her hand before walking off. He stood in his spot, stunned. After seconds, he walked back into the car. “Shall I drive?” Eric asked. Minseok looked at him and said, “Let’s go.”

 

Hyerin’s fast steps and blank mind led her away from the dance building. She stopped in her tracks and looked down. Her heart was hurting. Amongst all the things that Minseok said, this had upset her the most. But, why? He hadn’t said anything particularly hurtful to her.

She started walking towards the dance building. Was it the fact that Minseok still treated their marriage like a show? Or was it that he implied a certain friendliness that she had towards Eric? She couldn’t control herself. She wanted to give up. It had only been two weeks and she felt like running away from this marriage. She pressed the floor for her classroom, but as the elevator door opened on her floor she pressed a higher floor and waited. She walked into the empty studio. Taking her bag off her shoulder, she walked to the corner near the window. She sat down, crossing her legs and leaning against the mirror. She looked up at the rays of golden light shining into the room. Her chest started getting heavy and her breathing got erratic. She whimpered as she tried to contain her tears. Putting up her knees, she buried her face into her arms and cried. She let out all her despair, knowing that there was no escape for her. She lifted up her head and tried to stop her whimpering. Leaning on the sidewall, she closed her eyes and tried to calm down.

 

 

“Jjeogiyo.”

What time was it? How long did she sleep?

“Kaenchanayo?” the man asked Hyerin with a foreign accent, squatting by her. Hyerin recognized him. He was that guy with the light auburn hair from her dance theory class last year, but he had switched it up for a darker brown. “Kwaenchanayo? You look like you cried,” he asked with concern.

She wiped her face and asked, “What time is it?” “It’s 11am,” he answered and squinted his eyes, “You’re Park Hyerin, righ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter