ACT # 03

Mìng yùn (Destiny)
ACT 03

--------------------------------------

FLASHBACK -  London, three months ago

"I am not going to marry her" Kris' voice echoed inside the private dining hall, his eyes glaring and emiting pure hatred towards the girl sitting beside her mother. "I am not going to marry her just because our grandparents had this stupid agreement." He was fuming with anger not only because his parents tricked him in to going with them in this trip but because his soon to be wife is staring at him with a blank expression in her eyes.

"Raising your voice will not accomplish anything Mr. Wu" said the man in suit standing behind the girl. "My client and I are here to compromise" my brows arch up, client? Kris actually thought he's her bodyguard or secretary. "I'm sure that all conditions in the contract we prepared are all in favour of you."

"Contract?" Mr. Wu asks, surprised.

"Yes, all of us here knows that this marriage is only happening because of the elders wishes from both family" he took out his briefcase and pushed a brown envelope in front of Kris. "Inside that envelope is the contract me and my client, Ms. Chou made in order to peacefully get through this arranged marriage" he carefully read every line in it and the man is right, except for the part that they cannot divorce immediately and the date is uncertain, all conditions are indeed in favor to Kris.

"And what do you gain fron this contract?" he asks, handing his parents to so they can read.

"My client just want to get this over peacefully as possible so when the time comes, both of you can have a clean break" Kris looks at the girl, she hasn't even spoke a word not touch her drink in front, she just let the lawyer do the talking.

"Does you parents know about this... contract?" Mrs. Wu asks, the girl shook her head.

"No member of the Chou family knows about this meeting" the lawyer explains, Kris' parents are obviously surprised. "Since Ms. Chou is already within her legal age, her parents consent is no longer needed in this kind of agreements."

"But wouldn't you like your parents to know about this?" Mrs. Wu asks her.

"I don't think that would be necessary Mrs. Wu, I think I'm old enough to decide on my own, I hope you respect my decision and keep this meeting secret from my family" then she stands up.

"We'll be staying here at the hotel until tomorrow, if you haven't reach your decision yet by that time, you can call me so we can sign the papers" the girl bowed and left the room. The conditions within the contract are indeed all in favor to Kris and his relationship with Soyou; he looks at his parents and he can see the concern in their eyes. As much as they want to get him off the hook, there's pretty much nothing they can do to stop the elder Wu in meddling with his grandson's life.

"Do what you must son" and with that Kris rush off to catch up with his future wife.

 

----------xxx---------xxx---------xxx---------xxx--------xxx--------

MARRIAGE CONTRACT

 

Date: **** **, 201*

 

          This contract will remain confidential and non-existent to those who are not present during the time it is signed. Both parties will be bound by this contract until the elders of both family is deceased, only then can either party can ask for legal separation or divorce. During their marriage years, Mr. Wu Yi Fan and Ms. Chou Rui are bound by the conditions stated below:

1. This contract must remain secret and confidential.

2. Unexpected circumstances may occur regarding the first condition, if so, both party are allowed to tell anyone about the existence of this contract as long as they inform the other party of the names of the people, by doing so, all people that will have any partial or full knowledge of this contract will be legally bound by law.

3. The legality of this contract extends until the elders of both familyare deceased.

- in the case which one of the elders die, the remaining elder of which family will have full authority to decide to grant their grandchildren of divorce.

3. Both parties must live in one house in order to avoid suspicions from the elders but will be staying in separate rooms.

- if necessarily needed, both parties must attend only the family gatherings that the elders will require them to attend as a husband and wife or as a couple.

4. Both are allowed to date anyone they wish during the marriage as long as the elders will not know.

5. The marriage will only be announced to the public once both parties graduated from college.

      

Additional conditions can be added in the contract as long as both party approves it.

 

Signed:

 

Mr. Wu Yi Fan                   Ms. Chou Rui

Witnessed by:

 

Mr. Wu Alexander                   Mrs. Wu Fei                    Atty. Ruan Jing-Tian

 

 

 

-nothing follows-

----------xxx---------xxx---------xxx---------xxx--------xxx--------