Waiting Time

N.A.P Oneshot Compilation

It was a lovely morning and Niel woke up with a smile on his face. "Ah, another day." He stretched his long limbs before climbing out of bed and invading the bathroom right across. He leisurely took a bath before putting on a neat pair of pants, a comfortable shirt fit for the humid weather outside, and his favorite sneakers. He run his fingers on his hair, tousled it a bit before smiling at his reflection on the mirror. He bid his house goodbye and look forward to the the day ahead.

 

"Good morning!" He happily greeted everyone he come across when he stepped in the office. He's working as a graphic designer in an ad agency and he's loving every bit of it. 

 

"Good morning, Niel!" His co-workers greeted him back, Niel's happiness and cheerful disposition always make them smile too.

 

"So, another day closer, huh?" One of his officemates said as they meet at the pantry. Niel is filling his tumblr with water and the other poured hot water on his coffee.

 

"You got that right!" Niel answered, the smile never leaving his face.

 

While this scenario is common for regular employees - those who have worked with Niel for the past three years, one man has always been curious why Niel always smiles, and why Niel always say that "It's another day."

 

L.Joe just entered the company and the first thing he noticed is the smiling Niel. How bright the other boy always looked. As though no worries could ever wipe that smile away from his face. Being the natural curious that he is, he asked one officemate about this.

 

"What do you mean?" Asked the woman sitting beside him in their work area.

 

"There's nothing bad with it. But how come he's always smiling and telling people that "It's another day"? I think our other officemates have copied him and were also saying, "It's another day, huh?" What's with the "other day?"

 

The officemate laughed before answering. "You're cute. Seems like you've given this much thought already, huh?" She continue to laugh.

 

"Will you please just tell me?" 

 

"Chill, man! You should learn from Niel. Just smile."

 

"Will you tell me or not?"

 

"Okay. Okay." She said, a smile still playing on her lips. "Niel has a boyfriend. He's away but Niel's going to go where he is soon. He's excited, counting the days when he would be with his boyfriend again. So romantic, no?" The lady giggled and L.Joe just sat there.

 

Niel sat on his work station. And, just like what has been his ritual before starting his work for the day, he looked at the photo of him and his boyfriend, Minsoo, or C.A.P, as he would like to be called and as Niel would also love calling him. At the photo, C.A.P is kissing him on the cheeks while Niel wink at the camera, smiling. They are a happy couple. C.A.P always know how to make Niel smile and that magic never falter. Niel love the way C.A.P love him. He smiled yet again before beginning on today's work.

 

That night, Niel lie on his bed thinking of the day when he and C.A.P would be together again. He just couldn't wait. And, as inevitable as it is, Niel reminisced those times when C.A.P would share this bed with him, and he's always at arm's length.

 

"Good morning!" Automatically, a smile crept on Niel's face as he was greeted with the handsome face of his boyfriend, running the back of his index finger on his nose bridge. "Why do you always do that?" Niel asked, now widely awake.

 

"You're so beautiful when you're sleeping."

 

"I am?"

 

"You know you do." C.A.P responded, now taking Niel inside his arms and inhaling the scent of his hair, a whiff of the shampoo he used the night before still there.

 

They would make love when they feel like it before getting up from bed. C.A.P would prepare breakfast while Niel takes a bath. C.A.P would then take a quick shower before joining Niel at the dining table. Together, they will leave for work.

 

The next morning, Niel walked out of the house, imagining C.A.P doing the same, walking that familiar street with him.

 

"You're happy again today." L.Joe noted.

 

"I am happy everyday." Niel responded with a bright smile.

 

"Another day, huh?"

 

"Yup." And Niel walked to his work station.

 

"Another day closer to being with you again." Niel sighed as he look at the photo of him and C.A.P placed on top of his work table.

 

"Where is Niel's boyfriend, by the way? And why don't he just go there so they'd be together?" L.Joe asked when he couldn't stop himself anymore.

 

"Ah, so what, you're infected with Niel's "in love air" now?" Says the lady beside him.

 

"How come when I always ask you things, you always respond differently?" L.Joe asked, irrate.

 

The lady rolled her eyes but still responded. "He's abroad. His family migrated. Niel is waiting for his visa to be approved so he can fly to where his boyfriend is."

 

L.Joe could only nod.

 

Niel was having dinner that night and couldn't stop himself from missing his beloved one. He bit his lower lip to stop the tears threatening to fall. He promised C.A.P he wouldn't cry the entire time that they're apart. He promised him he would wait patiently until they meet again. He kept that promise for as much as he can. 

 

"Please don't me mad at me. I'll cry only this time, okay? I miss you so much."

"I understand. But please make it quick. I don't want to see you cry."

Niel cried his eyes out and wished that time would fly fast. He badly wish to see C.A.P again. To feel his arms around him again. To feel his kisses again. To hear him say those three words to his ear again, so close C.A.P's breath would tickle his ear and he would giggle.

 

"Just so you know, I would have been happiest if you were beside me right now."

"I know, and I'm sorry for leaving  you alone there. But we made, right? Just a few more days, right?"

Niel smiled at this. That's right. The long wait has ended. Just a few more days and he would be happiest with C.A.P again. He didn't stop the smile that lit up his whole face.

"I love you."

"You know I love you more."

 

"Today is the day!" Niel happily announced as he entered the office.

 

"Is it?" Asked one of his officemate. Niel nodded. "Woah! Congratulations!"

 

"So, when are you flying?" Asked another one. Everyone in the office are witnesses of Niel and C.A.P's love. And if they could, they would want the same kind of love for themselves. C.A.P never forget their anniversaries, especially Niel's birthday. For the three years that C.A.P couldn't personally be here with Niel, he would always send him roses and gifts. Even on casual days, boquet of roses would just appear out of nowhere and out of any reasonable occassion at all. C.A.P is just that in love with Niel and every girl in the office envy the jolly boy for that.

 

"Tonight." Niel announced which earned cheers from the crowd.

"Want to go to a salon with me before coming home then?"

"What salon? He would be traveling. For sure, when he gets there, all the makeup and hairstyling have gone. Besides, C.A.P love Niel the way he is."

Again, loud cheers from the crowd. Niel thank everyone for their support. 

 

Before the day's work ended, Niel treat everyone to pizza since this is also the last day that they would be working together.

 

"I'll miss you." Says one lady and hugged Niel.

"Thank you. I will miss you all too. But please don't worry about me. You know I would be happiest there." Niel responded and the girl could only nod. 

 

"Everyone, thank you for everything. These past three years, you've taken good care of me." Niel started on his farewell message.

"Don't mention it. We know C.A.P would kick our asses if we hadn't." Shouts a man from the left. Everyone laughed. The atmosphere is light and heartfelt even though one of them is saying his goodbyes.

"Did he say that? I told him not to scare any of my friends!" Niel laughed and the others laughed with him.

 

"So, you're really going? I will miss seeing your smiling face every morning." L.Joe walked up to where Niel now sat while watching their other officemates gobble down the food.

"Fancy I wasn't able to get your name."

"It's L.Joe."

"Hi L.Joe. I'm Niel."

"Yeah, I know."

"So, as I was saying.."

"Yes. C.A.P asked me to never lose my smile during the time that we're away from each other. And I know that those people," pertaining to their officemates, "would've contacted him to report if I have been sulking." Niel laughed.

"It's like magic."

"What?"

"Your love for each other. How you can communicate through distance and still keep your love for each other."

Niel looked at L.Joe, quite in awe. He knows that the two of them could've been great friends had they known each other earlier in their lives. He can even imagine C.A.P and L.Joe being best friends. He smiled at the thought.

"Bon Voyage?" L.Joe offered his hand. Niel took it and shook it, all along smiling to the other boy.

 

In front of the mirror back in the house he shared with C.A.P, Niel was tying his necktie and smoothing and suit and the undershirt beneath it. He's definitely dressed for the occassion. He just couldn't let C.A.P laugh at him if he didn't dress properly for their meeting. Niel could feel his palms getting wet from nervousness. Three years. He waited three long years for this day to come. At first he thought, he wouldn't make it. That he couldn't go on without C.A.P right beside him. But he managed. And now, as he smiled to his reflection, he imagined C.A.P's smiling face in front of him, arms wide open, waiting for him.

 

Three years ago...

 

"No! You're lying! What are you talking about? Don't lie to me!" Niel screamed at the top of his lungs. Chunji must be lying. This couldn't have happened to them.

"Niel, you have to calm down." Chunji tried his best but failed to make Niel stop from thrasing around and about. He couldn't take seeing his friend in this state.

Niel couldn't understand anything anymore. Why so suddenly? Why would this happen to them? The next thing he know, he was lying on a soft bed and everywhere he look, he see white. Is this heaven?

"You're awake." He turned to see Chunji sitting beside his bed.

"I shouldn't have."

"What are you talking about? C.A.P wouldn't like to hear you saying that."

"C.A.P is dead."

That's it. C.A.P is dead and there is no reason for him to be here anymore. He should be there where his lover is. He wanted to die.

"Yes he is." Chunji started. His voice is starting to shake. "But your promise to each other."

Niel's head spun towards Chunji's direction. He doesn't have the strength nor the will to scream or do anything at this moment. He just lay there, watching Chunji's eyes brim with tears.

"What promise?"

"Didn't you promise each other that if and when the other died, that the other would have to go on and live for the two of you? That you would enjoy life as if you were two people? That you will experience everything this world has to offer?"

"How do you know that?"

"C.A.P told me."

Niel's ears perked up.

"When?"

"He was.. still.. you know.. alive when I get here last night. Until his last breathe, he was saying your name. You have to live Niel. For C.A.P." Chunji finished. He was almost pleading because he know that Niel would definitely take his life the first chance he get. He also readied himself for another round of Niel's screaming. But the other guy remained on his bed. Unmoving.

After what seems like eternity between the two of them, Niel looked at him and said, "Okay."

 

"And I did, right, C.A.P? I kept our promise. I lived long enough without you here. Don't you think that's enough? We will be together now. You and me. Again. Forever."

Niel has that peaceful and content smile on his face as he lay down on the bed he used to share with C.A.P. The bed that turned cold since that night three years ago. Now he lay there, peaceful in his black suit and tie, a bottle of sleeping pills neatly placed on top of the side table. He swallowed all of the pills and lay there waiting for death to claim him, for C.A.P to come for him.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

A/N: Woot! How do you like this one, huh? I don't know why but I just came up with this idea. Hehe. It's been a long time since I updated this N.A.P oneshot compilation. How are you guys doing? :))