Rainbow

N.A.P Oneshot Compilation

"Do what I told you, okay? Open this division to show the other half of the butterfly, then through these crystal-made ceiling, the sun will reflect a rainbow color that will show off the other half of the butterly, completing it. At exactly 4 o'clock, go out the door and check who is it. Whoever is standing by the gate, with the rainbow light shining on them, that's your soulmate."

 

I heard my mom saying that phrase over and over that now, I can recite it in my head. I think i can even actually recite it to another person. Who wants to hear that? I mean, we're in the 22nd century! Who would still believe things like that? But she will get sad if I don't try it. And her health's already bad, I don't want it to turn even worse just because I think this is a stupid idea. 4o'clock, huh? What to do until that time? Right, the thing I am most great at: sleeping.

 

I woke up at around 3:00 p.m. which means I slept a good 4 hours. Not bad, at least I didn't slept through until it was night. Mom will be upset. Where is she anyway? Probably in her room. Okay. Will make something to eat and share with her.

 

I made a quick afternoon snack and bring it inside her room but I found her sleeping. Although I wish to eat with her, her rest is more important. I closed the door gently and walk back to the kitchen where I gobbled down all of the food I made for two people.

 

The alarm I set on my phone perked me up. It's 4o'clock. Though skeptic about the whole thing, I still wasn't expecting anything to happen. I used the peephole on the front door that gives a complete view of the front gate and my eyes went wide. You have got to be kidding me!

 

--------

 

Man, this village is huge! I know I should've brought my car but anyways, the security guard said that the house is easy to find. And true to what he said, I was able to quickly locate the house. But what is this thing.. light? No, rainbow? Why is there a rainbow reflection on my entire body? What's with this house? I looked up and realized that there really is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. And my pot of gold included an angel standing in front of me.

 

--------

 

I walked out of the house when I saw that someone is indeed standing outside with the rainbow light reflecting on him. That's right, a him! Does my mom really believe that I am destined with a boy? I knew that I shouldn't have  believed her but his eyes.. as they stare at mine.. are inviting me to look closer and deeper. But before I could let myself be drawn in this moment of chaos, I cleared my throat to ask what he was doing here.

"I'm looking for a lady named Han Minseo. Does she live here?" He responded with such nice voice.

"She's my mom. What do you want from her?"

"Really? Great! Uhm.. I'm the new personal nurse the hospital sent to look after what she needs." He smiled. Wow, he have a nice smile and perfect set of teeth.

"How do I know that you're telling the truth?"

"Huh? Oh.. Here's my ID." He handed me his ID. I looked at it and instead of looking for the details to certify that he's really a private nurse from the hospital my mom always go to, I am staring at his photo where he was smiling that sweet smile. I inwardly smiled as well. Ahn Daniel. I hand him back his ID, opened the gate, and walked back inside the house.

 

--------

 

What's with this man? He might be drop dead gorgeous but that doesn't mean he can be a jerk! I was being all nice to him but he just stares at me like he doesn't want me there. He asked my for ID then hand it back to me without a word! What is wrong with him? He opened the gate and just walked back inside the house. He could've at least say "Come in" or something, right? Jeez!

And he didn't tell me his name.

 

--------

 

"You were really nice, Niel, I think my condition will really get better if you continue to be my nurse."

"Is that so? Wow, that's great to hear! Please get well really really soon!"

I overheard the my mom and the new nurse talking. So, he goes by Niel, huh? It's cute. But Daniel is fine as well.

"Mom, I prepared some sandwiches. Here." I handed the chicken sandwich to my mom and sat beside her on the bed, not risking one glance at Niel. I'm afraid he can tell just how nervous I get every time I'm near him. How is that possible? How can someone's presence make me uncomfortable?

"Aren't you going to give Niel some?" She turned to me before talking to Niel without waiting for anything I have to say. "You know, my son, Minsoo, can really cook! You should try some." She was smiling at him the whole time. She really likes him. I am happy about that. Not that I have something else in mind, but seeing my mom happy makes me happy as well. If it's Niel that does that, then so be it.

"It's okay. I'm full." Niel said smiling. Seriously though, he have to stop smiling. I might just... never mind.

"You can have some too. I prepared more than what mom can eat anyway." I'm happy I was able to say that without stuttering. It's been a week since Niel became mom's personal nurse and through that time, I noticed that I've been feeling strange. I feel even stranger when Niel is around.

"Really? Then I will help myself!"

"I thought you said you were full?" I tried my best not to laugh. He's so cute. He looks like a kid excited for food.

"But.."

I had to walk out of the room before I burst out laughing at his cuteness. Damn, Ahn Daniel. What are you doing to me?

 

--------

 

He walked out of the room just like that. Again. Seriously, though, what is wrong with that man? Can't he even hold a decent conversation with people? But he's so nice with his mom, always preparing her food, seeing that she gets what she need even though I'm here with her. And he does all those without making it seem like my services aren't needed here. He takes care of his mom the way a son would without meddling in my job. I can sense that he's a good man, but why is he so indifferent towards me? I don't like it. I don't like it at all. Especially now that I'm starting to really like him. A lot.

 

--------

 

Coming home from work, I quickly went to my mom's room to check on her, and partly, to see Niel. Seeing him in the house has been a part of my everyday life for a month now. I like it. I like the idea that someone really kindhearted is looking after my mom, giving her what she needs and more. For the whole month that he's been taking care of my mom, I saw that not only does she got a nurse in him, my mom also gained a friend. He's so good to my mom and I like seeing that she's happy with him. And I am also happy that he's here. Well, I'm happ that he makes my mom happy. Just that. Nothing more.

I walked to her room and find her alone. Where's Niel?

"Hi mom! Why are you alone? Where's your nurse?" I scanned the room looking for Niel, maybe he was just sitting somewhere or getting something from the house?

"Niel asked permission to have a day off today."

"What?" Why does my voice came out so loud? I wanna see him. Why isn't he here?

"Why so angry, honey? Did anything bad happen in the office?"

I quickly caught myself. I really overreacted.

"I'm sorry mom. Yeah, something happened, but it's all okay now." I lied.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes mom. How about you? Are you okay? Since when are you alone? He should've at least told me so I could've come home earlier." Yeah, he should've told me so I won't be disappointed coming home without him here.

"Oh, no worries. He just left actually. I told him that he can leave earlier but he insisted on staying until he know that you're almost on your way home." My mom smiled.

"Where is he going anyway?" I'm calmer now knowing that my mom wasn't left alone for the entire day.

"He's meeting a friend who came from the States, I guess. He says this is the only day he can meet with that friend before he go to Busan. Niel has been really good to me, I'm sure you know that, right? I would feel really bad if I didn't let him go and see his friend."

Who is this friend? A lover maybe? I don't like the way I'm feeling with that thought. I don't like it an inch. But why do I feel this way? It's not like I like Niel, right? Right. 
 

_____________________________________________________________

A/N: Part 2 will come soon. I just realized that this story is too long to put in one chapter so I'm cutting it in two! Please tell me what you think about this. This is my sort of version of those POV things. haha! Comments, Upvote, Subscribe, and Recommend to your friends. :)