Rainbow Part 2

N.A.P Oneshot Compilation

I wasn't able to see Minsoo yesterday because I had to leave to meet up with Byung. He's my childhood friend and he just came back from the States. We were with our other friends and we really had a great time. But I'm longing for something. Somehow, I felt like my day isn't complete without seeing Minsoo. So what, I like him now? Damn right, I do! Even though he's generally cold towards me, even though he hasn't smiled even once to me, even though we don't really talk at all except for those times that he would inquire about how his mom's health is doing, I still fell for him. Now that is a big word right there, huh? But it's the truth. I really like how he cares for his mom. And I know that men like that would really become great husbands. Men like that know how to respect women, treasure them, and love them. Now that I think about it, does Minsoo have a girlfriend? I don't think I've seen anyone visit this house in the one month that I'm here.

"Girlfriend?" His mom replied when I asked. "Why are you asking?" She turned to me with eyes fishing for a juicy news.

"Don't look at me like that, please. It's not like I like your son, I'm just curious." I defended myself. I know that asking that question would rouse suspicion but I just have to ask that, okay? I wanna know!

"Well, I can't answer for that, right? Maybe you should ask my son if you're really curious." She replied with a smile. Ah, Minsoo's mom can really be cheeky at times.

"No, it's okay. I'm really not interested." As if I can ask him that!

"Are you saying that you're not interested in my son?"

"What?" I almost choked on my saliva. What is she implying?

"You heard me, Niel. Don't you like my son?"

"No!" 


 

--------


 

I was almost on my way to mom's room when I heard them talking. I know it's bad to eavesdrop but I can't stop myself from waiting to what Niel has to answer when mom asked if Niel is interested in me. At first, I was like, what the heck, mom? You're entertaining that idea? But then again, I find myself glued to my spot, waiting for Niel's answer.


 

--------


 

I don't mean to shout but this is ridiculous! I am not admitting that I like Minsoo in front of his mom! No! Not ever! That man clearly doesn't like me. I will just make a fool out of myself if I even dream of him liking me. No. No. No.

But then, I think I bit my tongue when Minsoo barged in the room with a dark expression. Did he hear our conversation? So what if he does? He heard that I don't like him. What is that to him?

"Why, son, what are you doing here?" His mom asked him. I tried my best not to look scared. I don't know why I'm scared though. It's not like he likes me or anything for me to feel bad that he might've heard me say that I don't like him, right? Not that I don't like him. I like him. A lot. But I have to say that I don't to his mom.

"Why are you shouting at my mom?" He turned to me with that dark expression. So he didn't hear what we're talking about? Instead, he's mad that I'm shouting at his mom? He really cares about her. I felt my heart melting.

"No, he's not shouting at me. We were just talking about you."

"No, we're not.. talking about.. you." I quickly interjected. We can't tell him what you asked me!

Minsoo turned to me with that dark expression still plastered on his face. What now? Did I say something wrong?

"I don't like you shouting at my mom. Don't do that again."

"I won't." I answered but he was out the door in a flash, I don't think he ever heard me respond.

 

--------

 

Why am I mad? So what if he doesn't like me? Yeah, so what?

 

--------

 

A week has passed since the eavesdropping scene outside my mom's room and I have been doing my best to avoid Niel. I'm thinking that maybe, if I don't see him, this feelings will go away. But then, I can't keep myself too far away from him. It's like he has tied a string around my body and pulls on the other end to make me come see him. As much as I try to avoid him, I find myself craving to be near him. Man, I must be really going out of my wits.

As what my whole being craves, I found my feet walking towards my mom's room, expecting to see Niel. Just a quick glance of his smiling face and I will be okay to go on for the day. Since when has he become the my daily supplement?

I got inside my mom's room but no Niel in sight. I didn't noticed I was looking around when mom said it.

"Are you looking for Niel?" She was smiling as though enjoying my longing.

"I am looking for your nurse. Why did he leave you alone again? Don't tell me his friend came back and he has to meet that friend again? That shouldn't be tolerated, mom. He's being paid to be here with you, so he should be here and not anywhere else having fun while you're left here alone." I don't know where all of those came from. I just don't like this. I don't like that I can't see him today! Where is he?

"Don't look for him anymore."

"What?"

"I sent him away already. Look, my health is doing great, right? I don't need a nurse anymore."

My mom's words are like bombs to my ears. This can't be happening! I can't lose Niel!

"But I thought you like him? Yeah, it's true that your health greatly improved since he took care of you, but are we really sure that you're well and fine?" No, mom, no! Although I'm happy that you've recovered, you can't just send Niel away like that! Not without telling me, not without me telling him about how I feel! What do I feel? Damn, I can't even think straight right now.

"Yeah, I like him. But wouldn't it be great to know that there would be more patients he can take care of? Other patients that really need him? That he could help? That's his calling. It's in his nature to take care of people, and I think it's just right that we let him take care of more people than just one old lady." My mom laughs but I can't laugh with her. Niel is gone.

"Of course, mom. Of course." I said before hugging my mom. Although I'm not sure whether I'm comforting my mom or am I asking her to comfort me. I hugged her tighter.

 

--------

 

I think it's been a year since I last saw Niel. But I checked the calendar and it's just been a day. So, I'm being overly dramatic now? Okay, that is overly dramatic indeed. So, what to do now? I wanna see him but what excuse do I have? But seriously? I'm thinking about that now? Now that I am on my way to the hospital he's working at? Really,  Minsoo? Really?

 

--------

 

Damn, I miss Minsoo. I can't stop myself from missing him. I'm totally happy that his mom has recovered but I am sad at the same time that I won't be able to see Minsoo anymore. Be with him, even though that meant just staring at him when he's not aware that I am. I'm gonna miss those times when I could just see him when he goes in his mom's room. I will miss his cold treatment. Haha. I think I'm going insane. I even miss his cold treatment, huh? But then again, what else do I have of him but his cold treatment? I heaved a sigh.

My duty's almost over. Now, what to eat for dinner? I'm thinking of Minsoo's cooking. I won't be able to eat that anymore. Now I feel sadder and sadder the more I think about it.

Lord, you know I don't always ask for things, right? I merely ask for my family's safety always. Nothing more. Can I have a request? Just this once? Can you send Minsoo to me? I just wanna see him again. Please?

Okay, that says it, I really am going insane. Or not.

 

--------

 

I was almost into the hospital's front door when I saw Niel coming out. Suddenly, my heart started beating triple time. I took a deep breath to relax my nerves before walking up to him.

 

--------

 

Wow! That was fast! Lord! Thank you so much! I didn't stop myself from smiling widely. Minsoo is here with me! Woah! But wait, why is he here? I suddenly felt scared.

"Did something happen to your mom? Where is she? What room? I'm sorry, she was doing really great when I left her. What happened? Tell me! Don't just stand there and tell me!" 

I heard him laughing. What? Why is he laughing?

 

--------

 

I walked up to Niel and just felt really happy to see him smiling so widely at me. It makes me think that he's happy to see me. But then his face started to look sad. Then he started asking about my mom. I couldn't contain it so I laughed and laughed. He's just amazingly amusing. He thought that the reason why I'm here is because of my mom. He quickly worried about my mom. And I can see that it's genuine. I really like him. A lot.

I've always been the type to think a thousand times before deciding on something. I don't want to commit mistakes and feel bad about myself later. But this time, I know I'm making the right decision. I grabbed his arm and didn't stop myself from smiling at him. The best I can. I just hope I don't creep him out.

 

--------

 

So, Minsoo is here. But why is he laughing instead of telling me about his mom? And now he just grab my arm and pull me somewhere? No, he can't go on doing the things he like without telling me.

"Wait." I can see that he's startled. And what is that? Is he smiling? Or right, I was so worried about his mom that I forgot to note that he was laughing heartily earlier. He's laughing with genuine joy like he's really really happy. Just what is happening? I don't like how my body is reacting to his touch, to his presence, to that smile. I don't like this at all. I'm falling deeper.

He just look at me, that smile still plastered on his face.

"Where are we going? What about your mom?"

He smiled even wider. I continue to fall even deeper.

"Mom's alright."

"Huh? What? So why are you here?"

I felt relieved that his mom is alright. But why is he here?

He faced me and continue to smile. Seriously though, what has happened to this man?

 

--------

 

I am smiling nonstop. I can't help it. Being with him, seeing him, hearing him, just makes me smile. I'm a weirdo now, I know. But I just can't help it.

But can't he just walk? I don't know if I can explain what I'm trying to do right now. I don't even know. I just wanted to be with him. That's all. But I guess he wouldn't stop asking, huh? Okay. Here goes.

"Can we just walk for now and I'll explain later?"

I can see that he's not buying that. He just continue to stare at me. Ahn Daniel, if you only knew what your stares do to me. I heaved a sigh. I'm defeated.

"Okay. I was just trying to buy you dinner."

"Why?"

Because I want to spend time with you?

"Because I want to thank you for nursing my mom back to health."

"Can't we just eat in your house? I wanna see your mom too."

No! I want to be alone with you.

"Ah.. my mom is not home right now. She went to my sister's house."

"Can't we go there then?"

"No."

"Why?"

Because I want to spend time alone with you.

"Because..." I don't know what to say. I bit my lip and placed both my palms on each of his shoulders. He looked surprised that I did that but he remained standing and staring at me. I looked at him then decided to tell him something interesting.

"Can we at least sit down? I have to tell you something." 

 

--------

 

Minsoo is definitely acting strange today. Maybe he hit his head or something? But he seems fine. Just.. weird.

We sat on a bench just outside the hospital and he still have this creepily beautiful smile on his face. If only it would  be like this every day.

"Do you believe in magic?" He started that got me immediately curious.

"What do you mean?" 

He smiled again. I can get used to your  smiles, Bang Minsoo. Please smile more. To me.

"There is this one man whose mother told him to wait for 4o'clock to meet his soulmate. She told him that his soul mate will have rainbow light reflecting all over that person's body."

I don't know where he's getting at but this sounds interesting. I listened.

"The man didn't believe his mom at all but he still did what he was told. He doesn't want to make his mom sad. And so, when he walked out of the door at exactly 4o'clock and saw someone there being reflected by the rainbow light his mom told him about, he couldn't believe it. He thought that maybe it's some trick or something. Until he spend time with that person and felt within himself that, maybe, magic really exist. That it can happen to him. That, really, that rainbow light brought him his soulamte."

The way he talks about this man is so intriguing. It's like he knows this man deeply. It's such a nice story. I wonder if that can happen to me too? I was silent until I noticed him staring straight at me. I probably am blushing but I tried to hide it from talking.

"What?"

"Doesn't anything sound familiar to you?"

"About what? What do you mean?"

He heaved a sigh. The smile still on his face. Oh my, can you stay like this forever? Just smile for me and I will be the happiest man alive.

"On the first day you went to our house. Didn't you notice anything strange?" He started. I tried to think. Then it hit me. I looked at him with round shocked eyes. Could it be? And as though reading my thoughts, he smiled at me while nodding his head. "You remember now?"

So that's what that light is about? I'm speechless. I don't know what to say. Does that mean.. Minsoo.. he.. me.. us? What?

 

--------

 

I'm happy I was able to say all those. But what has happened to him? Why is he staying so still? Oh right. He doesn't like me. So what do I do now? I suddenly felt heavy. I heaved another deep sigh.

"Niel.. I.." How do I do this? He looked at me but he still wouldn't say anything.

"Okay. I know you don't like me but I think I've grown to really like you through those times that you were taking care of my mom. She really likes you, you know. And because of that, I realized that I'm beginning to like you too."

"But you're cold towards me." Finally he spoke. But why does he sound neutral? Is he preparing to reject me? Damn. I earned that though. I hasn't been good to him.

"That's just because I don't know how to act around you."

"Silly."

"What?"

This time, he smiled at me. Oh wow, I really love that smile. Can you smile more for me?

"If you only said so, then we wouldn't be having this awkward conversation."

What is he implying?

"I like you too, Bang Minsoo. I like you a lot even though I thought you don't like me at all." He said this while smiling. Could this be true?

"But you told my mom that you don't like me."

"So you heard that, huh?" He chuckled. "Well, what do you want me to do, admit it in front of her? That's kinda embarrassing you know." He laughed. I laughed with him.

"So.." I started.

"So?"

We're both being awkward. There we are, two men sitting on a hospital bench, smiling like idiots, and couldn't form words to say to one another.

"Why don't we start with that dinner?" I managed to say afterwards.

"That sounds great. I'm starving. Although, I think I want your cooking more."

"You do?"

"Yes. It's the best."

"Don't worry, you'll have more of that from now on."

He smiled at me. Sweetly. I guess I'd have to get used to this wonderful feeling, huh? I put my hand on his shoulder and pull him on me. He's startled but then I felt his body relax against mine. Side by side, we walk towards my car.

 

--------

 

"Did you tell my brother that you were expecting the new nurse to come at 4o'clock? And that nurse is always on time, right?"

"There's no need to tell him that. Is there?" Han Minseo smiled at his second daughter.

"I think you tricked Minsoo, mom. You made him believe about that soulmate thing when in fact, you just want to pair him up with my nurse, Niel."

"Why, don't you like them to be together? Look at them. They're so cute."

"Yeah. But why are we spying on them?"

Minsoo's mom just laughed before the car sped away and left Minsoo and Niel happily eating inside the restaurant.

 

_________________________________________________________________

A/N: Yay! The End! Tell me what you think, please! And, how come nobody's sending their requests? Please send them. I will run out of ideas to write soon. Please share your ideas with me. This compilation will be our joint project. Haha. Comment please. Subscribe, Upvote, and Recommend to your fellow N.A.P shippers.

N.A.P shippers UNITE!