FOURTEEN

Opposites Attract

Chapter 14

Sora should have just bailed. That’s right. That would have been the smart decision, but now she’s stuck in a tiny cabin with her meddling best friend, her ex, and the boy she likes. The perfect combo for disaster.
“Not bad.” Baekhyun chimes as he puts his car in park. They both glance out the passenger side window, taking in the tidy rows of cabins that run up and down the resort.The wood exterior of the cabin was worn down to a grayish brown, but everything else appeared in working condition. As long as there was a fully functioning door to keep critters out, Sora was okay with it.
“There they are.” Sora points at the familiar silver vehicle pulling in from behind. Baekhyun glances in the rearview mirror, eyes ever so slightly glaring at Jongin’s ride. He clearly recalls that same vehicle from the night at the restaurant.
“We stopped by my place and still beat them.” Baekhyun snickers, taking petty pride in the little victory.
“Hurry and help me take out our bags. It’s freezing.” Sora states, ignoring the brown-haired boy’s comment.

“Isn’t it cute?” Eunhae grins as she pulls out her luggage from the backseat.
“A little dusty, don’t you think?” Jongin teases as he closes his door. His eyes can’t help but trail to Sora. Her nose was already turning slightly pink from the temperature. She never did handle cold weather well, but was strangely addicted to the season.
“Geez, it’s a weekend getaway, what did you pack?” Baekhyun’s groaning pulls at Jongin’s attention. He watches silently as Baekhyun hauls Sora’s navy suitcase out from his trunk.
“I forgot I had plans, so I had to throw in whatever.” Sora mumbles, snatching the handle from the complaining male.
“Plus, you’re one to talk.” She adds, glaring at Baekhyun’s multiple bags. Apparently, he needed a separate bag for his shoes, clothes, and skincare.
“You never seem to need all this when you’re at my place.” Sora mutters, just a bit too loudly to stay in between her and Baekhyun. Jongin clears his throat, mainly to distract himself from the duo’s quarrelling. 

“There’s only two rooms in the cabin so-”
“Great, Sora and I will room together.” Baekhyun jollily claims, immediately bringing a deep rouge across Sora’s face. Jongin shifts his weight from one leg to another, his facial expression visibly agitated by the other male’s suggestion.
“As much as I’m sure Jongin wants to share a bed with me, I think it’ll be better for the girls to take one room and you two the other.” Eunhae states. Sora silently thanks her best friend for stepping in. The tension was already becoming heavier than she’d prefer. Baekhyun throws a glance at Jongin, a bit wary of the idea of having to share a bed with the dude.

Jongin moves first, appearing by Sora’s side in just a couple strides with his long legs.
“I’ll bring this in for you since it’s heavy.” Jongin smiles, reaching for Sora’s luggage handle. Sora’s about to object, but she knows Jongin. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. Meanwhile, Baekhyun watches as the sunkissed man sends too friendly of a smile at Sora.
“I got it.” Baekhyun sternly states, moving his body into Jongin’s path, a stiff smile gracing his lips. Their eyes meet, an electric spark igniting in both of their chocolate irises, and not the nice kind. The tension sitting in the air is only shattered when Jongin cracks a grin.
“No worries, you’ve got your hands full.” Jongin chuckles, referring to Baekhyun’s pile of luggage. He slips by the irritated male without another word. 

Sora trails behind Jongin, avoiding Baekhyun’s gaze as she disappears into the cabin. Her body immediately melts with relief when the cabin’s heating hides her away from the winter cold. As much as she adores the white cast of snow and the crisp winter air, her body had the temperature tolerance of water. She simply cannot produce body heat.
“Let me just find the lights real quick!” Eunhae calls from somewhere in the shadowy darkness. Sora’s eyes can make out several small sofas, a kitchen counter, and a TV in the dark room from the bit of light spilling in through the curtained windows.
“Did you find them?” Sora calls out, her feet moving towards the window. Window lighting is better than no lighting. She shuffles through the dark, with only the window light being her guide, when her foot catches on a table leg. Sora squeezes her eyes shut, bracing herself for the fall, but it doesn’t come. She feels a firm hand grasping her elbow, protecting her from ending up in what could have been a mess of bruises.
“Someone still has two left feet.” Jongin snickers as he pulls her upright, unintentionally bringing her face just breaths away from his. The ceiling lights flicker on, just as Baekhyun saunters into the cabin. His jaw clenches, visibly disapproving of the situation playing out before him.
“Found the lights!” Eunhae exclaims as she returns from who-knows-where. A nervous grin sprawls out on her face as she takes in the atmosphere. Clearly, this was not going to be a smooth sailing weekend retreat.
“I’ll take Sora with me, your guys’ room is through that door.” Eunhae points at the room across the living space as she grabs her best friend and pulls her in the opposite direction.

As soon as Sora’s in the safety of their bedroom, she collapses on the mattress, an aggravated groan escaping form deep within. Eunhae watches with guilt as she sits at the edge of the bed.
“I didn’t think it would be this bad.” Eunhae uneasily laughs. Sora sends a pointed glare at the girl. Baekhyun was known for doing whatever he wants and this weekend was not going to be an exception. She can only pray that level-headed Jongin would just go with the flow at this point. 
“This is going to be a rough weekend.” Sora whines as she kicks the air in frustration.
“Hey, on the bright side, you apparently have a boyfriend you’ve been hiding from me! What is all this talk about Baekhyun coming over to your place?” Eunhae demands, scooting closer to Sora with excitement dripping from her irises. Sora’s face flushes, completely caught off guard by the change in topic. Really though, she should’ve expected this from Eunhae.
“B-Boyfriend? I don’t have one.” Sora replies. She doesn’t. Baekhyun wasn’t her boyfriend.
“You’re lying. He’s practically radiating jealousy every time he sees Jongin.” Eunhae chuckles.
“Baekhyun isn’t my boyfriend. He just…”
“He just what?” Eunhae crosses her arms over her chest, expecting some further explanation. What is Baekhyun? What are they? Last time she checked, they were never really friends, but people who aren’t friends don’t hangout and spend the night at each other’s places. So they’re friends then? But friends don’t kiss and confess.
“We don’t have a label?” Sora offers up. She wishes she had a definite answer for herself too. 

 

Baekhyun crashes onto the mattress, quickly claiming his side of the room. His eyes carefully watching as Jongin drags his luggage into the bedroom. He must be new around town because Baekhyun knows everyone and Jongin isn’t a familiar face. Sora seems to know the guy well enough though from what he’s gathered.
“Kim Jongin, I don’t think I’ve actually introduced myself yet.” Jongin sticks out a hand towards Baekhyun. Coolly, the brown haired boy sits up, reaching out to meet Jongin’s open palm.
“Byun Baekhyun.” He gives Jongin’s hand a firm shake, their grips unrelenting from one another’s.
“You seem to be good with Sora now. Thought y’all had a bit of a fallout that night at the restaurant.” Jongin says right away, not shying away from Baekhyun's hard gaze. Baekhyun’s lips quirk into a smirk. So that’s how he wants to play?
“Better than ever. She came here with me, not you, remember?” Baekhyun replies.
“Do you really think you’re her type?” Jongin asks him. Baekhyun rolls his eyes. He was confident that he was basically every girls’ type. He has the historical proof as evidence. Plenty of it. 
“I’ve heard alot about you. Parties, clubs, and heartbreak at every turn. You don’t know Sora at all. She likes a guy who will stay at home with her and is predictable.” Jongin explains. Baekhyun's jaw tenses as he stares him down. 
“I would know, I was her first love.” 


 

May has been hectic with graduation, moving, and family, but I punched out a short chapter for you all!