TWO

Opposites Attract

Chapter Two

Quiet and secluded. That’s why Sora enjoyed this spot more than the others. This was the only bench in courtyard that wasn’t always swarming with students since it was far from the buildings and university gates. It was her safe paradise escape on campus. She had stumbled upon it during freshman year when she was doing a self-tour of the campus and hasn’t found a better spot yet. She’s flipping through the pages of her textbook, silently absorbing the words off the page. Here, it was easy to get lost in time.

“Kang Sora, you sneaky girl!” A high-pitched voice rings in the warm air. Sora lifts her gaze from the textbook, landing it on the blonde. Song Eunhae, the campus chatterbox. Ironically, she was best friends with the campus homebody, Kang Sora. How they ended up side by side was beyond anybody’s idea, but their forever opposing personalities made for a unique friendship.

“What are you going on about now?” Sora asks with a raised brow.
“You and Mr. Hot Stuff!” Eunhae exclaims, leaning forward on her elbows as she slides her phone across the wooden tabletop. Sora’s brows furrow in confusion as she peeks at the phone screen. Her eyes notice his gray hair first, then the bright red blazer, then herself wrapped in it.
“Where’d you get this?” Sora questions as she stares at the photo. She was pretty sure taking pictures of strangers in the middle of the night was some sort of illegal, right? Eunhae snatches her phone back, safely tucking it away in her back pocket.
“It’s all over the campus social board. Officially the talk of the town.” Eunhae answers.
“If you wanted to keep your dating a secret then you should’ve been well… more secretive about it. You know, I never really pegged you for the bad boy type, but hey there you are at a nightclub with Byun Baekhyun of all bastards.” Eunhae chuckles as she incredulously gawks at her best friend.

“We’re not dating.” Sora casually denies.  
“So, this isn’t you, draped in Byun Baekhyun’s blazer?” Eunhae points out once again.
“I mean it is, but he was just being a decent human being.” Sora counters.
“Byun Baekhyun? A decent human being?” Eunhae scoffs in disbelief.
“Do you even know who he is, Sora?” No, Sora does not and her silence answers for her. Eunhae’s lips curl into a lopsided smirk.
“Poor, innocent Kang Sora always locked away in her apartment.” Eunhae clicks her tongue.

“Byun Baekhyun: one of the university’s notorious heartbreakers. He’s a first-class asshat. Complete womanizer.” Eunhae explains as if this was what she studied for a living. Should Sora be surprised? I mean, she did meet him in a nightclub, in a private room surrounded by escorts, and he’s chummy with Oh Sehun.
“I guess I should be relieved that you’re not dating him though. That would’ve been a mess.” Eunhae speaks up, breaking Sora’s train of thought.
“He would’ve hurt our little Sora and tainted you with his poison, not that you couldn’t use some excitement in your life.” She adds with a coo.
“Anyhow, what were you doing with Baekhyun?”  Eunhae asks.
“I just went to pick up an assignment from Sehun and Baekhyun followed me out to make sure I hailed a cab safely.” Sora shortly explains.
“That’s it?” Eunhae presses for more information.
“That’s it.” Sora nods. That’s all that happened, nothing more, nothing less.

A few moments skip by, no word from Eunhae. Definitely not normal. Sora looks at her friend again.
“Spit it out.” Sora commands all too knowingly.
“Huh?” Eunhae plays innocent. Sora rolls her eyes. They’ve been friends for three years and Sora knows when Eunhae has something to say, mainly because it involves the blonde going quiet.
“Okay, okay. I was wondering if just maybe you would come out tonight with me.” Eunhae’s light brown irises flood with hope.
“No.” Just like that she deflates.
“I swear you’ll like this party better than the last.” Eunhae insists. Being persistent was one of her traits and she always made sure to live up to it.
“It’s smaller and invite only so maybe only fifty people will be there.” Sora’s face contorts with distaste. Fifty? Way too many people for Sora’s comfort.
“I don’t want to go alone.” Eunhae pouts, reaching for Sora’s hand across the table.
“Just take someone else.”
“But you’re my best friend, who else would I go to an exclusive party with?” The two of them pass stares back at forth, one insisting and the other denying.

 

Sora let’s out an exasperated sigh as she pulls the edge of the black leather skirt down, attempting to cover as much skin as possible. She fidgets with the turquoise mesh sleeve of her top, trying her best not to think about how uncovered she felt. Eunhae had insisted without a break until Sora agreed to wear something other than the jeans and T-shirt she had originally showed up in.
“You look mesmerizing.” Eunhae grins as she hands over a cherry red lipstick.
“The final touch.” She adds, tapping her own lips as a sign. Reluctantly, Sora takes the lipstick and applies it.
“The things I do for you.” Sora huffs out, earning another soft smile from the blonde.

“We’re here!” Eunhae squeals as the taxi pulls up to a large house. Scratch that, it was definitely a mansion. Eunhae quickly pays the driver before pulling Sora out of the backseat. It takes a moment for Sora to stable herself in the heels that Eunhae lent her, especially while gawking at the luxurious home.
“Where are we, Eunhae?” Sora gasps in awe.
“Yeong invited me, said that this was a once in a life party invite. I couldn’t say no.” Eunhae says in a breathy voice as she ogles at the huge white marble pillars that surround the entrance. Yeong was Eunhae’s not so secret admirer. He was head over heels over the blonde, it was a constant game of chasing for him. Eunhae was no easy catch, that’s for sure.

The music was blaring, but still not deafening, which Sora was thankful for. Her eyes scan the lowly lit room, watching as the drunk college students mingled and danced with one another. To say that Sora was outside of her element was an understatement. Eunhae hooks her arm around Sora’s elbow, pulling her through the congested crowd of sweaty humans.
“We need to get you a little buzzed first.” Eunhae says as she strolls into the kitchen, Sora in tow. The kitchen was huge, even with the amount of people inside it, there was more than room to spare. Sora notices a familiar face in the crowd by the counter.
“Yeong!” Eunhae calls out, waving her hand excitedly at the tall boy.
“You made it!” Yeong grins, immediately filling a glass from the punch bowl for both of them.
“You even managed to pull Sora out.” He adds with a chuckle.
“Yes, thank you very much for inviting us. I had to leave my bed.” Sora jokes as she takes the drink from him. Yeong shrugs, a smile dancing on his lips.
“Don’t worry, she lowkey enjoys being out and about.” Eunhae laughs as she takes a gulp from her drink. Sora rolls her eyes, she would gladly choose her quiet home over this any day.

 

Sora doesn’t know how much time has gone by, she’s lost track at this point. Her body is hot, maybe it was the alcohol or the crowd of moving bodies surrounding her. Her feet hurt, aching from the seemingly endless dance floor Eunhae had dragged her onto. A lazy smile dances on her red lips as she stumbles her way out of the crowd, not so nicely shoving into people on her way out. She glances back over her shoulder, seeing Eunhae and Yeong in their own world on the dance floor. The initial buzz of alcohol was wearing off now and she was beginning to feel gross again in this place.

“You’re a new face around here.” A male’s voice pulls Sora’s attention away from watching her friend. The towering silhouette now blocks her view of Eunhae and Yeong completely. Sora can smell the strong stench of alcohol in his breath as he looms over her, getting a bit closer than she’d like. She glances up, scanning the unfamiliar face. She feels a cold shiver down her spine when she notices the way his dark eyes feast on her.
“Come here alone?” He asks, his voice laced in mischief. Sora flinches when she sees his hands reaching for her face. She feels her whole being shrink inside, as if preparing herself for whatever is to come. A surprised gasp falls from her cherry lips when she feels her body being yanked to the side. Her body freezes when she collides into something firm and a protective hand grips her waist.

“She came with me.”

Baekhyun. Her body is still in shock that she doesn’t even fight it when her rescuer begins to lead her out of the room and through the French doors. That voice. That cologne. She blinks wordlessly as the arm secured around her waist falls away. Sora stares at the boy, scrutinizing him just as much as he was her. He wasn’t drunk, in fact, he looked very well put together in his black jeans and ed dress shirt. Baekhyun’s lips suddenly curl into a smirk and Sora can’t deny the slight pinch in her chest.

“I don’t recall inviting you to my party, but I can’t say I’m bothered by it, sweetheart.”

 


So originally, I attempted to actually plan this fanfic out and started writing an outline for the first few chapters. Unfortunately, as I began writing this chapter I just went off the rail completely and so I've realized I'm not much of a planner and spontaneous writing works better.

Also, a very happy birthday to our precious Baekhyun <3
He and I are birthday twins, so you can't tell me that we're not meant to be. LOL jkjk

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter!