FOUR

Opposites Attract

Chapter Four

Three peaceful days go by, much to Sora’s content. No agonizing teamwork assignments, no angry red heads, and most importantly, no Byun Baekhyun. Life felt back in place and she was thoroughly happy about it. She bathes in the comfort of her own home, a mug of steaming jasmine tea in one hand and the tv remote in the other.

Grand opening of new shopping center

The tagline in all bold letters runs across the bottom of the tv screen. The words itself aren’t what catches Sora’s attention, more of the familiar face flashing on the news above it. So, he's a rich kid, that would explain the over-the-top mansion. It seemed like even within in her own home, she couldn’t escape Byun Baekhyun’s presence. His silver dyed hair was no longer and instead replaced with a startling electric blue, starkly contrasting against his clean black and white suit. Sora can feel the hairs on her arm starting rise when Baekhyun locks his gaze with the camera, almost as if he knew Sora was on the receiving end.  

Ring!

Not taking her eyes off the TV screen, she reaches over for her phone. By habit her fingers slide across the screen to answer.

“Hello?” She nonchalantly answers the call, holding the phone between her shoulder and ears as she tries to lower the TV volume.
“I told you I’d call.” His low chuckle is husky. Sora sits up straight, now holding the phone in her hand again.
“Do you have cameras in my apartment?” Sora accidently mumbles out loud, earning another laugh from the caller. Her face erupts into lava when she realizes her thoughts were beyond her head.
“Good idea, can I?” Baekhyun playfully jests. His laughter rings through the speaker, light and careless, but Sora swears she heard him in a breath at the end, as if cringing.
“No.”
“Aw, you’re no fun, sweetheart.” Baekhyun coos. Sora rolls her eyes, definitely not amused with Baekhyun’s late night call.

“Anyhow, I need my blazer.” Baekhyun suddenly states. Sora glances at the clock on her wall.
“You do realize it’s almost a quarter to midnight, can’t you wait until tomorrow?” Sora can hear him leaning back in a chair as he deliberates a response. It doesn’t take him too long though.
“I need it right now.”
“Now!?” Sora repeats is sheer disbelief.
“Mhm.” He hums through the phone as if he isn’t calling her out in the middle of the night.
“You must be crazy if you think I’m-”
“Meet you outside the university’s pool.” Then the line goes dead.

 

She must really be crazy. What power did Byun Baekhyun hold over her that she had to abruptly leave her home in the middle of the night? None! So then, why was she sitting on the staircase to the pool entrance waiting on the fool in nothing but a tee and gym shorts? She huffs in agitation. The least he could do was show up as soon as possible. Impatiently, Sora checks the time on her phone. 12:03 A.M.

“Sorry to keep you waiting, sweetheart.” Sora nearly gets a heart attack hearing Baekhyun’s low whisper in her ear. She twirls around, giving the male a pointed glare. He only teasingly grins back at her. The smile only lasts for a quick second before a wince of pain erupts from his throat. Sora’s brows furrow, just now noticing the small cut on his bottom lip. The longer she scrutinizes him, the more damaged the kid looks. Where his lip is busted, it is also bruised a light purple. Not to mention his complexion wasn’t the usual lively one she was used to seeing. He looked tired.
“Did you get in a fight?” Sora bluntly questions the boy as he gently rubs his aching bottom lip.
“Why? Does it look like I won?” Baekhyun chuckles, eliciting another groan of pain. Sora clicks her tongue at the boy before sticking her arm out, his red blazer hanging from her hand.

“Not just yet.” Baekhyun chimes, swaying his finger at Sora like she’s a kindergartner who’d done something wrong. Baekhyun happily smiles at Sora’s confused expression before suddenly wrapping his fingers around her wrist and pulling her to the pool door.
“Cover me.” He instructs her as he bends over and begins fiddling with the lock on the door.
“What are you doing!?” Sora frantically demands in a hushed whisper with wide eyes.
“Breaking in, isn’t it obvious?” Baekhyun snickers. He was crazy, definitely. Sora was not about to be caught breaking onto university property, especially with the likes of this idiot.
“I’m leaving.” She decides, dropping his blazer on the floor and turning on her heels. She can’t move an inch though when Baekhyun yanks her back by the wrist.
“That’s an expensive blazer, sweetheart.” Baekhyun teasingly scolds her as he scoops up the red item of clothing in his other hand. He nudges the door open, a smug look of accomplishment dancing on his face.

Baekhyun leads Sora into the moist atmosphere of the natatorium. Sora had never been in here during off hours. The sensor lights must be powered down since the only thing that illuminates the room is the moonlight pooling in from the wall of windows. The water is still, the moonlight glistening off the surface in a strangely relaxing way.
“Pretty right?” Baekhyun’s voice interrupts Sora’s thoughts. She glances over to the side where said boy walked off too.
“What the hell!” Sora shrieks, her hands instantly moving to cover her eyes. Baekhyun smirks as he sets his shirt on the pool bleacher, letting the pool’s humidity cling to his bare chest.
“Byun Baekhyun, what are you doing!?” Sora demands, still refusing to open her eyes again. Was this where she was going to die? Being attacked by Byun Baekhyun and then dumped into the pool?

Splash!

Sora turns back around, watching as waves begin to ripple through the pool’s surface.
“Baekhyun?” She calls out. She peeks over the edge of the pool, her eyes searching for the blue-haired boy’s body under the water, but it’s not exactly the easiest thing to do in a badly lit room.

Splash!

Sora’s body goes rigid as the drops of cold water make contact with her skin. Immediately, her eyes fall on the mop of blue hair hanging on the edge of the pool wall in front of her.
“Byun Baekhyun!” Sora growls, glaring daggers at the boy. He only smiles at her, his eyes daring her to do something in retaliation.
“I love it when you call my name.” Baekhyun teases her with a wink. Even in the subtle moonlight, her rosy cheeks give herself away.

“Jump in, sweetheart.” Sora scoffs at him. Who did he think she was? She was Kang Sora, the homebody who liked to play safe, and this, this wasn’t safe.  

“I’m leaving.” Sora once again turns on her heels, her back facing the pool.

“I know you want some excitement in your life. Aren’t you tired of the boredom? Come on, live a little, sweetheart.” Baekhyun’s voice is like a hypnotic trance echoing in Sora’s head. He was wrong. Sora loved her quiet and simple life. She loved the peace. Right?

Splash!

The cold water sends an exhilarating amount of energy through her veins. Did she just jump? It was shocking but invigorating in a way she never experienced before. She moves, pushing herself off the pool’s tiled floor. A loud gasp breaks the natatorium silence when Sora’s head emerges, disturbing the water’s surface. The first thing her eyes lay on is the knowing grin proudly stretched across Baekhyun’s bruised lips. His eyes twinkle with unknown interest and amusement at Sora’s surprised expression.

“Feels great, huh?” Baekhyun says, beginning to swim circles around the girl.
“Cold, that’s what.” Sora retorts, not wanting to give Baekhyun the satisfaction of being right. His lopsided smirk already tells her he already knows.
“Are you a good swimmer?” Baekhyun suddenly questions her.
“Why do you need to know?” Sora counters back with her own question. She yelps when Baekhyun begins charging towards her through the water. So, that’s why.

They both swim, like cats and dogs, circling and chasing one another. Both of them forgetting the world around them as they glide through the water. Sora has never felt this carelessness and freedom from her introverted thoughts before, and she was thriving in it. There was no aches to be back at home or thoughts of leaving any time soon. She wasn’t even bothered by the fact that she was in sopping wet clothes. She liked it all. Sora lets out a hearty laugh as she pulls herself on to the pool sidelines, leaving her legs dipped in the pool.
“This is the first time I enjoyed breaking into the pool so much.” Baekhyun expresses as he pulls himself up to sit beside her.
“So, you do this often?” Sora raises a brow at his statement.
“Call it a way for me to clear my head.” Baekhyun answers with a soft smile as he shakes his head, causing water drops to fall from his blue hair.

Suddenly, a bright yellow light flickers across the back wall of the natatorium. Flashlight. Baekhyun jumps to his feet first, immediately reaching for his clothes before pulling Sora to a stand. Sora’s eyes fill with fear as she looks to Baekhyun for guidance. He puts a finger over his lips, motioning her to be silent. Before she knows it, they’re running. Barefoot, soaked, hand in hand.

The security guard is chasing them, just a few seconds behind their every step. Sora should be scared right now, right? She should be stricken with fear at the chance of being caught, but she only feels the adrenaline. It was like sweet honey on her lips. She couldn’t even feel the night’s breeze hitting her dripping body. Abruptly, she feels her weight being pulled to the side and her back collides into a brick wall. She in a breath to silence her heavy breaths as the security guard dashes past the little nook that Baekhyun pulled her into. A giggle of relief escapes from as her body finally takes a moment to relax. It’s only then when she realizes how close Baekhyun was to her. Their chests press against one another, his chin just centimeters away from her forehead. She could feel the rise and drop of his breathing, even the soft patter of his heartbeat. She lifts her face towards the sky, watching Baekhyun let out ragged breaths through his parted lips as his damp blue hair falls in front of his eyes. The eyes that are staring right back at her. She gulps.

“You just keep on surprising me, sweetheart.” Baekhyun’s low, husky voice sends electricity down the back of Sora’s spine. A smile tugs at the corners of Sora’s lips. It was decided. Byun Baekhyun made her want to live beyond the four walls of her apartment.

 


Don't we all love a mischievious Baekhyun?

I hope this chapter lived up to your expectations!