EIGHT

Opposites Attract

Chapter Eight 

Panic. It seems that’s the feeling Sora keeps repeatedly running into today. A fleeting moment passes by as they stare at one another. She could play it off as not recognizing him, right? It was worth a shot. She forces a shaky smile on her lips, trying her best to look like a friendly stranger.
“E-Excuse me.” The words clumsily make their way out of as she scoots to the side and attempts to escape the situation. She makes it a good two steps away from the elevator when she hears him call out.
“Kang Sora.” His voice pokes at her chest and it’s not in a good way. She painfully turns around, meeting his gaze once more.
“Jongin.” His name feels familiar yet foreign on her tongue. She feels vulnerable under his gaze and she didn’t like it. Not one bit.
“It’s been a while…” His voice is quiet, yet firm and confident as always.
“Mhmm.” She hums, not exactly positive on what she should say. This was the last thing she ever expected to happen. Waking up next to Baekhyun seemed much more like reality than this scene playing out in front of her right now.
“Do you live here? I just moved in yesterday.” He asks as he points to the door at the end of the hall. The luck.
“Um… Yeah. What a coincidence.” She lets out an awkward laugh. She looks like a mess right now, of all times to run into Jongin, it had to be a morning where she was half dressed and not even properly washed up.
“I was on my way to get a drink from the café next door, did you want to join me? To you know, catch up.” He suggests, motioning towards the elevator. He’s so natural. It was unfair. How come she was the only one finding this awkward?
“Thanks, but I’m a bit busy today.” Sora lies. Her calendar was empty, the perks (or in this case disadvantage) of being a homebody.
“It’ll be just a quick stop, I promise.” His lips curl into a soft smile. That smile. Sora’s fingers have returned to fidgeting with the clothes again.

 

She must be crazy. That’s all Sora can tell herself as she sits in the small booth beside the front window. She had dropped off her clothes and hastily slid on the closest pair of bottoms she could find before running out to meet Jongin in the lobby. She should have just made up another excuse, but her panicking mind wouldn’t let her. Sora warily watches the dark-haired male thank the barista and grab the drinks from the counter. Why was he here? Why did he have to live in her apartment complex, on the same floor of all places? She frantically tears her gaze away from him when he starts to make his way back to their table. She busies her eyes with the traffic of people on the other side of the window instead.

“One small iced Americano for you, and a large for me.” Jongin’s voice almost sings as he sets Sora’s order in front of her.
“You remembered.” Sora says with a tight-lipped smile as her fingers wrap around the cold cup.
“How can I forget? You had me running to the café every morning for two years.” Jongin’s laughter is still the same and strangely, it still has the same effect on Sora.
“Thanks.” She mumbles, bringing the cup to her lips. They sit in silence, sipping away at their iced coffee. Is Sora the only one feeling awkward?

“So, anything new?” Jongin asks. His eyes flash towards the gray shirt hanging over Sora’s small frame. Anyone could tell it was a good three sizes too big, not to mention Baekhyun’s cologne was radiating off the item of clothing.
“Oh…” She murmurs, fidgeting in her seat. She was still wearing Baekhyun’s shirt since she didn’t want to make Jongin wait. The last thing she needed was to have Jongin think that she was taking a long time to get dolled up for him.
“No. I don’t have the time for that.” Sora reluctantly states. She wasn’t too keen on talking about how single she’s been for the last four years with her first love. Jongin smiles, a bit too satisfied with her answer.

“So, what else have you been up to?” Jongin questions, forcing her to lock eyes with him.
“University.” Sora answers. Was that too short of an answer? Did she come off as cold and annoyed? Well, she has the right to be, doesn’t she?
“You?” She figures if she’s going to stay stuck in this moment, she should at least make conversation.
“I’m actually doing some research at the chemistry department at the university.” Jongin eagerly responds, more than happy that the girl is at least attempting to talk to him.
“So I guess I’ll be seeing you around a lot around campus, huh?” He adds.
“Well, I’m barely in the chemistry building, so who knows?” Sora shrugs her shoulders as she takes another gulp.
“Then maybe I can give you a reason?” Jongin suggests. Sora’s throat malfunctions on her, resulting in a puddle of coffee starting from her lips to the table top. Her cheeks flush with embarrassment when she hears Jongin’s amused laughter. He hands her a napkin, which she quickly grabs. She wipes away her mess, wishing she could just wipe away her existence too.

 

Sora didn’t know that an elevator could move so slow until now. She awkwardly stands beside Jongin as they wait for the elevator to reach their floor. He’s standing quite close to her; if she swayed even a bit their shoulders would bump. She can smell his woody cologne now and immediately recognizes it as the same one from ages ago. It’s been four years since she last saw Jongin and yet somehow, he hasn’t changed a bit. His composed, yet goofy demeanor is exactly how she remembers it. For all the times that she thought of running into Jongin in the streets, she was positive she would unleash all her emotions, mainly anger and hurt, on him. Surprisingly, she wasn’t crying or yelling at the man. How could she be when he’s Kim Jongin?

“It was really nice catching up with you, Sora.” Jongin’s voice pulls her out of her thoughts. She hadn’t even realized that they had gotten off the lift and were standing at her apartment door.
“Yeah, same here.” She weakly replies. A moment of silence erupts between the two once more. He glances at the ceiling, then at the door behind her. Sora notices his signs of nervousness right away. It would be better if she just makes her exit now.
“Well, I’ll see you-“
“Sora, I’m sorry about disappearing on you that day.” His tone of voice was much more serious than the lighthearted and casual one he had been using all day. It’s like a hand is squeezing her heart at the mention of their abrupt ending. She doesn’t respond. What was she supposed to say? It’s okay that he ghosted her? Maybe throwing a dirty look and scoffing would be appropriate?

Ding!

Sora turns toward the opening elevator doors and at the familiar face that appears. A wave of relief hits her. She was saved.
“Eunhae!” She calls out the girl’s name. The timing could not be more perfect. Sora needed to escape this conversation and Eunhae was the flashing red exit sign she was searching for.
“Who’s this?” The blonde questions, taking a good look at Jongin. Sora could already tell she would be bombarded with Eunhae’s curiosity soon.
“A neighbor.” She simply answers.
“Anyway, Jongin, I’ll see you around.” Sora swiftly unlocks her apartment suite and motions Eunhae to get inside. She isn’t able to close the door before he opens his mouth again.
“Are you free tonight?” Jongin asks, his eyes pleading for a yes.
“She’s free every night!” Eunhae perkily answers from the couch inside. If Sora had eyes on the back of her head, she would be drilling holes at the blonde right about now.
“There’s this restaurant I want to try, but I don’t know anyone here yet.” He mentions, shyly scratching the back of his head.
“She’ll be there!” Eunhae exclaims, popping back up beside Sora.
“I’ll make sure of it.” She winks. Satisfied with Eunhae’s words, Jongin sends Sora one more too dreamily perfect grin before finally leaving for his own flat.

 

“I hate you.” Sora mutters, glaring at her best friend once the front door is closed and locked behind her.
“He’s cute, like extremely good looking. If Baekhyun doesn’t work out, then he will.” Eunhae giggles as she falls back onto the couch.
“By the looks of it, you’re already making good progress on the hot new neighbor train.” She adds with a sly smile as she gestures at Sora’s clothes, specifically the gray shirt. Sora rolls her eyes.
“This isn’t Jongin’s shirt, it’s Baekhyun’s.” She clarifies. Wrong move. Sora flinches at the high pitched squealing erupting from Eunhae. What did she do now?
“Holy , Sora!” Eunhae shouts in that overly loud tone of hers.
“You didn’t…” The blonde trails off, her wide eyes demanding an explanation.
“I didn’t.” Sora denies right away.
“Something happened and I had to spend the night at his place.” She shrugs her shoulders. Nothing happened. She was simply passed out and drunk and ended up back at his place. In his bed, but she wasn’t going to mention that and have Eunhae’s mind exploding with assumptions, not that it wasn’t already.
“But you spent the night at his place.” Eunhae emphasizes.
“Unknowingly.” Sora points out as if that made a huge difference. Eunhae rolls her eyes before narrowing them on her best friend.
“What the hell, Kang Sora? You can’t possibly tell me that nothing is going on between you and Baekhyun.”

 

How did she end up here? Spending the evening eating dinner at a classy restaurant with her ex was not exactly in her agenda. Sora awkwardly follows Jongin and the host through the maze of extravagantly decorated tables. Through the constant pestering of Eunhae, Sora was forced to wear one of the few dresses she owns. She had only worn it one occasion, for Eunhae’s 20th birthday. It was a dark burgundy shade and hugged her silhouette like saran wrap. Unexpectedly, Jongin had shown up at her door with a matching tie. How he knew? Only God knows. She cautiously watches as Jongin pulls her seat out for her, inviting her to sit down first with that smile of his. She manages to mumble a thanks as she takes her seat.

“You look beautiful.” Jongin says for about the sixth time since she opened her door for him an hour ago.
“Sorry, you’re probably tired of hearing that.” He nervously chuckles. He quickly attempts to change the subject, not wanting to fall prey to awkward silence.
“Don’t be so nervous, Sora.” He says when he notices her cautious look.
“We’re just two friends catching up.” He assures her with another soft smile.
“Can we even be friends?” The question slips out before she realizes it. Immediately, her gaze fills with regret.
“Of course, it’s been a long time and I’m not here to make you uncomfortable. I just don’t know many people in the area yet.” Jongin quickly replies as he pours a glass of iced water for Sora.
“Plus, I promise I’ll get out of your hair once I find some friends.” He adds with a wink.
“It’s fine.” Again, moves before her brain does. Was it fine? Was it okay to be Jongin’s friend?
“You sure?” He asks, one eyebrow raised.
“Yeah.” Sora seems to have already accepted it without consulting herself. Maybe she was completely over him now? Is that why she agreed so easily? Jongin seems to have a permanent smile glued to his lips now.

The food arrives to their table. The aroma of steak and sautéed vegetables sits right at the edges of their noses as the waiter arranges their plates for them.
“Beautiful…” Jongin murmurs under his breath in awe. Sora giggles. He had always been a lover of foods.
“I haven’t had steak in ages.” He groans, refusing to take his eyes off the prize. Before he dives into a mouthful of beef, he takes his utensils and separates all the vegetables into a lonely pile at the edge of his plate.
“Some things don’t change.” Sora chides him as she observes his pickiness. Jongin had always avoided vegetables at any cost. He would never begin a meal before making sure all the vegetables were picked out, even in fried rice.  At the mention of his picky habit, Jongin’s face flushes a deep rouge.
“Here,” Without a thought Sora roughly cuts her steak in half and plops it on to his plate, exchanging it for his neglected vegetables. It had become a habit of hers as well when they were together. Jongin’s brown irises soften at her action, a shy smile tugging at his plump lips. Noticing what she had just done, Sora clears . Her bare shoulders were feeling hot all of the sudden.
“I just don’t want the vegetables to go to waste. It’s expensive here.” Sora defends herself.
“Of course, why else?” Jongin responds with that goofy smile dancing across his face.

They continue their night, forgetting the awkwardness between them as they laugh about their high school memories. Sora’s favorite memory in particular being when Jongin was running late for class one morning (he wasn’t exactly a morning person) and she had to distract the school security guard so he could slip by unnoticed. Her heart was racing at the time with fear of him being caught, but she would do it all over again. Sora is laughing her heart out as Jongin reminds her of the time he had attempted to bake. It was for his mother and Sora unfortunately was there to witness his epic failure. Let’s just say the cake was much more like a tortilla. Somehow, some way, Jongin had managed to screw it up.

Sora’s catching her breath when she feels a chill go down her spine. Immediately, she sits up straight, throwing a glance over her shoulders. Nothing. She could only see the busy restaurant goers enjoying their night like she was. Somehow she felt a pair of eyes staring holes into her, but couldn’t find the culprit. Maybe she was just getting lightheaded from laughing so hard.
“You good?” Jongin asks, straining his neck to see what she was.
“Yeah, I think there’s just a draft.” Sora assures him.

The two of them stand idly at the front entrance of the restaurant, waiting for the valet to pull up in Jongin’s sleek silver car. They both stare blankly at the night sky above them, the silence once again enveloping the duo. Jongin anxiously fidgets with his hands in his pockets, his eyes flickering between the sky and the girl beside him.
“I’m sorry, Sora.” His voice is meek and fragile, shaking from his lips. Sora turns her head to face him. He had attempted to apologize before, but she took an escape.
“I just… I was scared.” He sheepishly admits, shamefully staring at his matte charcoal dress shoes.
“You said you loved me, and I didn’t know how to react. I wanted to come back, but I was so embarrassed, I couldn’t face you.” He continues to explain himself as Sora silently listens. Her lack of response didn’t help either of them.
“I just want to start over. A clean slate. Fate placed us in the same apartment, so I’m taking the chances.” Jongin bravely declares, bringing his milk chocolate eyes to meet hers. Her lips part, trying to form her words. A harsh, cold gust of wind brushes by them, sending its iciness along Sora’s arms. Immediately, Jongin goes to shrug off his blazer to rescue Sora from the cold.
“Here ta-”A familiar warmth envelopes Sora. A different type of warmth that makes her chest swell and her stomach do somersaults.

“Take mine, sweetheart.”