The One That Got Away

Fiction Collection

Two figures crouched down behind a black rectangular crate in the seemingly non-threatening warehouse.

 
"Red or pink roses?" Kevin asked, eyes glimmering with excitement in the light-limited building.
 
Kibum loaded his gun skilfully, bracing himself. "Later, Kevin."
 
"Why are you not interested!" Kevin pouted, placing his gun on the floor and then folding his arms. "Are you not concerned about our wedding?"
 
Scanning the place with great difficulty, Kibum replied, "I am, baby. But don't you think it's a bad timing to talk about this now?"
 
"How is it a bad timing?" Kevin squeaked, "Our wedding is in a week's time and we're not even through picking the colour of our roses for the decoration!"
 
"Kevin, please!" Kibum tried to shush his boyfriend.
 
From the reflective surface opposite Kibum, he saw a small beam of red laser on Kevin's shoulder. Further scrutinizing it, he noticed a vague figure at a far distance. Realizing the danger, he immediate shouted, "Kevin, behind you!"
 
With a swift movement, Kevin picked up his gun with his left hand. Turning his head to the side, he aimed and pulled the trigger. A gun shot sound was heard, followed by a thud. Raising his arm with the gun, another shot was was fired. A man who was positioned on top of a crate a distance away, fell from it painfully.
 
From the corner of his eye, Kibum saw man flash pass in the dark. Quickly standing up and chasing after him, he shot his calf, causing the man to fall, dropping the black bag he was clutching to.
 
As Kibum handcuffed the man, Kevin leisurely strolled towards the bag, checking its contents. An affirming nod from Kevin and Kibum pulled the man up from the ground, walking towards the exit.
 
"So," Kevin followed closely beside Kibum, carrying the bag. "Red or pink roses?"
 
Kibum could only sigh as they returned to the police car.
 
---------
 
A pouted fixated on Kevin's lips as he looked at Kibum with his sad puppy dog eyes. "Must you go? Can't you take leave on that day?"
 
"I can't," Kibum sighed, "I'm in-charge this time. Besides, I used up all my leaves."
 
"Can't believe it's two nights before our wedding and you're going out on a mission." Kevin reluctantly helped to pack a couple of clothing into Kibum's bag. "I took a week leave and you can't." 
 
Stopping in his actions, Kibum took Kevin's hands and gazed at him assuringly. "Don't worry, I'll make it back before our wedding. You think I'm going to bail on you and elope with some other chick?" 
 
Seeing Kevin's frightened look, Kibum quickly added on. "I don't like chicks." 
 
A sigh of relief escaped Kevin's lips. "Fine. Be back soon, take care of yourself." He gave quick peck on Kibum's cheek. 
 
"I will, love you, baby." A smile before Kibum left the house, leaving Kevin alone in the bedroom.     
 
---------
 
Kibum waited patiently for a particular phone call as he did his paperwork in his office. When the phone did rang at 2 am the next day, he gathered his colleagues, briefing them about the soon to happen operation.
 
On the side of the country, Kevin tossed and turned in the spacious bed meant for two. When he had phoned his going-to-be spouse, the other simply told him the mission was not over, or rather started and continued to assure him, comforting him gently. 
 
Kevin didn't buy it though, his worries and concerns were far too many to be countered by mere words. He tried to sleep, but not without imagining varying scenarios in his mind and so it was only hours later, before the sun shone did he fall asleep. 
 
---------
 
Two group of men appeared in the dense forest and as their transaction began, the operation started. 
 
Gun shots, snapping of tree branches, groans and bloodshed were messed up in the chaos. After what seemed like a gruelling eternity, the mission finally ended. With his colleagues, Kibum arrested the two parties and successfully recovered drugs worth more than tens of millions. 
 
With a victorious smile, he looked up to the sky, noting the sun rising in the far horizon. Then he sighed regretfully, glancing at the canopy of vegetation beside him - the direction where one lucky fellow had escaped from. 
 
"We'll handle the rest." A voice broke him from his thoughts. Blinking, he realized it was his assistant speaking. "You still have your wedding, remember? Leave before you're late. Congratulations, by the way." His assistant, Soohyun, smiled. 
 
---------
 
A pair of hands coiled themselves around Kevin's sleeping figure, effectively waking him up. 
 
"H-honey? You're back?" Kevin's voice was soft and muffled as he wearily rubbed his eyes. 
 
Kibum nodded, before gently kissing his forehead. 
 
After scanning Kibum's attire, Kevin guessed that he came back not too long ago. "You haven't slept the whole night? Quickly lie down and take a nap." He pushed Kibum's shoulder down, trying to make the other sleep. 
 
Chuckling, he ruffled Kevin's hair before replying, "I'm not tired. Thinking of our wedding gives me sufficient energy. Come on, let's get ready." 
 
---------
 
Music from the organ resounded throughout the humble church while a pretty male walked into the church, accompanied by his father. His hair was pulled back into a short ponytail and he wore a blinding white suit with the cutting slightly more feminine. 
 
Slowly, he walked up to another male dressed smartly in a grey suit, hair styled perfectly. The two held hands, bliss apparent in both their eyes as they said their vows, eyes not once leaving each other. 
 
The crowd cheered as the couple finished their vows, diving in for a passionate and sweet kiss. 
 
As they pulled apart, a bullet was fired from the window of the church. The cheers immediately turned into gasps and yelps, panic rising from the guests. 
 
The one that got away.
 
Almost instantly, another gun shot was heard and this time, the man outside the window fell dead. 
 
"Kevin!" Tears whelming in Kibum's eyes as he looked at his love, horrified. 
 
Kevin weakly dropped the gun to the floor, sinking into Kibum's embrace. The white suit was soon stained into an ugly shade of red as he clutched onto his left chest. 
 
"Call the ambulance!" Kibum desperately screamed to the guests. He returned his vision to the man in his embrace, "Kevin, Kevin. You'll be fine, okay? Stay with me, just stay with me." 
 
Smiling, Kevin nodded weakly as tears rolled down Kibum's cheeks furiously. 
 
"That bullet was for me, why did you take it?" 
 
---------   
 
Hours passed and Kibum waited outside surgery room quietly with his head down low, clutching onto a small velvet box - one that contained their wedding rings. Anxiety, despair and grief building up in his flustered self. 
 
"You can't leave me now, our wedding isn't complete yet. You still have to put on the ring for me." He muttered, choking on the tears he was holding back.    
 
The red light above the surgery room went off as he stared at the door with a hopeful heart. 
 
---------
Note: Guess your own ending, but I'm a positive person so... ^0^