Of Violins

Runaway Little Ghost

Gui Gui

I ran as fast I could along the beach. I felt sweat pouring all over my body. I could smell the sea as the wind was blowing. The sun is almost up in sky. I had decided to run since I could not sleep. My mind keeps going back to Korea. When I see the beach, I am reminded of my memories with Taec Oppa. I missed him so much. I held back the tears that are threatening to roll down my cheeks and continued running. 

"Ying Jie! My child, where have you been?" Papa called out as soon as he saw me opening the wooden gate in fornt of our house. 

"I went running," I said breathlessly as I sat down on the stairs. 

"I made you breakfast. I'm off to work now," Papa said, putting on his shoes. 

"Okay Papa. Take care. Be careful," I called out as he made his way out. 

I watched Papa waved at me and left, turning around a corner. Sighing, I took my shoes off and went inside. I washed my hands and prepared myself a cup of hot coco. I sat at the dining table and nibbled at the onigiris that Papa made. I wasnt even hungry but I forced myself to eat. I didnt want to fall sick because I didnt want Papa to be worried. 

I stared at the hot coco. It has been exactly a month since I came to Okinawa Island. Papa was surprised to see me standing at his doorway late at night. I couldnt help but cry as soon as I was in his arms. Papa knew me well not to ask why I suddenly came home. He accepted me with open arms. I still havent talked about what happened with Papa. I guess I just didnt want to worry Papa. 

I sighed yet again as I looked over my phone which I havent been able to switch on a month ago for the fear of Taec finding me. Right now I need to keep him safe. My heart ache so bad for him. At the same time Ialways try to tell myself that this is for him. I love him and I want him to live. I made myself think that either way things will never work out between us. He's from a wealthy family whilst I came from a broken family. I dont think his family would want me. At that thought, I gobbled the last onigiri and drank my hot coco until the very last drop. After washing the dishes, I lazily stepped into the bathroom and stood under the shower for a while. 

That evening I decided to cook Papa dinner. Papa was impressed the minute he set foot in the house. 

"Ying Jie, you cooking? Wahh..my daughter is all grown up now," Papa praised, patting my head. 

I smiled proudly. I was happy to see Papa smiling like this. I realized how much I miss him. And how much I regretted not being able to visit him once in a while. 

"Papa, sit down. I'll prepare everything," I said, motioning Papa to sit. 

"Hao," Papa agreed and sat down. 

"Mmm..this smells delicious. I didnt know you can cook. Did you learn to cook in Korea?" he asked, as I sat down across of him. 

I smiled sheepishly. 

"Papa, chi fan la (Papa, lets eat)," I said and he nodded. 

"Wahh! I'll gain weight in no time Ying Jie~ah!" Papa said, patting his full belly. 

I laughed at the sight. Seeing Papa this happy made me happy.

***
Gui Gui 

"Papa, can I ask you something?" I said, sitting on the couch, hugging my legs. 

We were watching the news after dinner, a thing Papa always do before retiring off to bed. 

"What is it Ying Jie?" he asked back, eyes fixed on the screen. 

"Is there any job vacancy somewhere here?" I asked. 

Papa istantly turned to look at me in surprised. He switched off the TV. 

"Why Ying Jie? You dont plan on going back to Korea?" he asked, looking at me. 

I looked down on the floor as I bit my lower lip. Oops, guess I just got caught over there. 

"What happened exactly, Ying Jie? Why did you suddenly come here?" Papa asked, curious. 

I sighed, still looking at the floor. I cant think of  a way telling Papa what actually happened. 

"Something happened?" Papa asked, concerned. 

I slowly nodded. 

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Papa asked again. 

I finally looked up to him, holding back my tears and shook my head. I didnt want Papa to worry o much over me. 

Papa sighed. Scooting over he reached for me and put his arm around my shoulder, his hand reaching up to caress my hair. 

"Whenever you feel like talking, I'm always here. Remember that," Papa said, squeezing my arm, assuring me that I was safe. I nodded weakly as I leaned y head on his shoulder. 

"So do I get the job?" I asked, trying to enlighten the mood. 

"That's totally up to you, Ying Jie. As a father, of course I would want you to finish your studies. But at the same time, I want to see my only daughter happy," Papa replied, patting my head. 

"Xie xie, Papa," I beamed despite my heart breaking. 

That night, I cried myself to sleep, dreaming and missing Taecyeon Oppa. 

***
Gui Gui 

After the morning run, I decided to sit by the beach and just enjoy the warmth of the morning sun. It must be summer in Korea already, I thought to myself. I closed my eyes as I inhaled the fresh smell of sea. 

"You must like the sea so much," I heard a familliar voice said beside me. 

My eyes snapped open and I looked to my side. 

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Henry?!" I exclaimed in surprise. 

"What it's only been a month and you cant recognise me anymore?" he joked. 

I immediately hugged him tight, almost knocking him to the ground. He kept laughing at my reaction. 

"Oh my gosh! What are you doing here? How did you..?" I asked all at once. 

Henry laughed it off. Flinging his bagpack over his shoulder, he looked at me for a long time. 

"Where can I spend the night?" he asked, smiling awkwardly. 

I beamed at him and led him back to Papa's house. 

"Wow! A guitar!" Henry exclaimed as soon as he entered the cosy living room. 

He quickly picked it up and strummed a few chords. Shaking my head, I went to the kictchen and made him coffee. I put the pot on the stove and sat on the chair near the dining table, followed by Henry. He sat down across of me, a seat belonged to Papa, carrying the guitar. 

"seoro hamkkeil ttaemyeon nunbitman bwado ara ara ara (UhUh)
jibeuro doraomyeon mworago halji molla molla molla

* ajigeun seotulleo naui modeun maldeuri
ajigeun eoryeowo neoui geu munjadeuri
sajeoneul pyeolchigo hanassik Want to know Want to know I dont know

** I’m sending 143 geuljaron ajik jeondari an dwae Woah Oh Oh
Sending 143 dansunhan sutjanoriga anya Woah Oh Oh
I love you 143 neoneun 486
Sending 143 neomu dareuji
Sending 143 ajik eoryeopji
dansunhan sutjanoriga anya 143"

"Nice voice," I praised, as I clapped my hand. 

Hnery chuckled and blushed as he put the guitar down. 

"Thank you. It's a song I wrote. Plan on singing it to Amber one day," he confessed, scratching his head sub-conciously. 

"Awww..that's sweet. I'm sure she'll love it," I said, getting up. 

"How did you know I was here, Henry?" I asked as soon as I set his coffee in front of him. Ijust had to know. 

He sipped his coffee, taking his time. He then put the cup down and looked outside. I guess he was amazed at how the view from inside always end up overlooking the beach. 

"Taec went crazy looking for you," he started, bringing his gaze back at me. 

I fell silent at the mention of Taec Oppa's name. 

"He did everything he could. He's still looking, right at this moment," he said slowly. 

"And?" I asked, braving myself. 

"It was heartbreaking seeing him. Didnt exactly turn up to school. The last time I saw him was at the cafe. He was grabbing a coffee just before starting the mission to look for you. Probably had a team researching for you," Henry sighed. 

Hearing this made my heart sank. It wasnt supposed to be like this, I thought. 

"So, why did you come?" I asked, feeling the lump in my throat growing. 

"I did my research. I still remember what you told me and Amber. Thought you would be here, so I took m chances," he explained. 

"Did you tell Taec Oppa?" I asked, my heart hanging in my throat. 

He shook his head. I sighed in relief. And then a question popped into my head. 

"Why?" I asked, curious. 

"Well, I just figured maybe you ran away because your past has something to do with it. Or maybe you just wanted to protect Taec Hyung," he answered, sipping his coffee again. 

I nodded in understanding. Henry picked up the guitar again and started strumming random chords and hummed. After a few strums, he abruptly stopped. 

"Gui Gui, why did you run away?" he asked, curiousity written all over his face. 

I stared at my cup of hot coco for a while, debating with my inner self whether or not to tell him. Seeing that I trusted with my past, I decided to confide in him. Looking up at him, I gulped before speaking up. He was intently focused on listening. 

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Taec Oppa's ex, Im Yoona, brought Aaron over and threatened to kill Taec Oppa if I choose to stay," I half-whispered, feeling th tears rolling down my cheeks.