One Chance, One Moment

No Letting Go

After the unexpected encounter at the lift, the two just found themselves in the rooftop of the hotel – at the top most floor of the building where the intriguing expanse of Manila Bay dominates the hypnotizing view. There were no lights around, just the glimmering stars and bright moon above their heads. It was quite an isolated place, after all. Only those with VIP keycards can access this part of the establishment; and of course, Lee Jonghyun has that.

 

Jo walked towards the edge of the building, placing her bag on the floor. She had gone back to get her belongings from the room she shared with another staff the other night. There’s no need to wait for the production heads to tell her what to do. For her, she had enough humiliation for the day, being demoted just because she couldn’t follow one single rule. She couldn’t afford any more addition.

 

She leaned forward and rested her elbows on the concrete railing as she breathed in the not-so-fresh yet alluring air of Manila. It’s different from Davao, but why would she deny that it has its own charm that captivated her? Add the beautiful cityscape before her and somehow – just somehow – it relaxed her.

 

But as if she had found herself in the dead end, the thoughts of reality knocked on her reverie. Noiseless and as subtle as possible, she heaved a deep sigh. She had accepted her fate – that there’s no more continuation to a story that started that morning. It was nothing but a spur of the moment, a severe and cruel distraction from reality. It was a dream that died as fast as it was conceived.

 

As bitter as she may sound, she and Jonghyun could never happen.

 

Yet why is this happening? She asked no one.

 

When Jonghyun pushed her back to the elevator as she was about to step out and quickly pushed the button to the top-most floor, she knew fate had meddled.

 

“Did they fire you?”

 

The sweetest of all sweet voices rang clear through her ears. She looked beside her and saw the idol leaning forward, imitating her position, towards the concrete fence. She immediately looked away.

 

She shook her head. “No,” she mumbled. “I was demoted to the merchandises.”

 

The sentence was simple enough for Jonghyun to understand, but was definitely essential to make him let out a sigh of relief. At least, he told himself.

 

“W-were…” The girl nervously began, unsure if she should ask the question. The man looked at her encouragingly. “Were you looking for me?” She finally asked.

 

“I was,” he whispered.

 

Heat began creeping on Jo’s cheeks at the idol’s admission. Sparks of hope suddenly appeared in her head. Was it possible that he had feeling the same? She needed to know. It’s now or never.

 

“Why?”

 

There was a few moments of silence, a few seconds of hesitation. The idol shrugged his shoulders, focusing on the majestic view of the ocean in front of them.

 

As she waited, Jo’s gaze finally drifted to the gorgeous human being beside her. His sharp nose, his chiseled face, his enchanting eyes, his luscious lips – all these looked a thousand times more beautiful against the teasing moonlight. Somehow, seeing him like this made her heart prick again. Insecurities dominated her insides, insisting they cannot be together.

 

Suddenly, Jonghyun turned and caught her staring. Even before she could tear her gaze off him, his soft palms cupped her cheeks and softly forced her to look at him.

 

She wanted to; but the fear of falling for all the wrong reasons was stronger.

 

“Look at me,” she heard him whisper in the painful silence. “Please,” he pleaded.

 

Somehow, his begging convinced the girl to take the risk and obey. Setting aside the possibility of her emotions to spiral down with one look, she bravely fixed her gaze on the idol’s eyes.

 

“I don’t understand,” Jonghyun muttered as his intense look pierce through the soul of the woman he’s holding.

 

Jo trembled. “What can’t you understand?”

 

The idol felt cold shivers coming from the woman but he chose not to let go. Instead, he tightened his hold, not caring whether she’s feeling uncomfortable or whatever. He just needed not to let go.

 

“Us,” he muttered as his eyes flickered against the dark. “What are we?”

 

With the question, the girl chuckled humorlessly. As polite as possible, she slipped away from the man’s hold. The latter didn’t like it, obvious by the sudden frown painted in his beautiful face. He tried to keep his hands on her cheeks, but what Jo said made his arms fall to his sides all of a sudden.

 

“We’re heaven and hell.”

 

Jonghyun’s eyes widened at the comparison Jo carelessly did. Had she been thinking that way all this time? Was she really convinced that they’re two different persons living in two different worlds and there’s no chance for them to meet halfway?

 

He wanted to retort, to tell her it’s not that way, to cut her off before she could tell more things that would hurt him – and hurt her more; but the girl was adamant as she continued. “I’m stuck in the Philippines as an ordinary person while the world demands for you. You are the Lee Jonghyun and I am no one. What do you think we are?”

 

Jo didn’t notice that her faltering voice raised an octave higher. Her frustration slipped out without her knowing. As she realized it, she took a step back, trembling; her eyes burning but she tried to blink back the waterworks. There’s no point crying over something.

 

But the surprise etched on the idol’s face due to her sudden outburst tugged on her guilt. Upon realizing what she did, she immediately reached for his arm to ask for an apology.

 

“H-hey, I-I’m sorry. I d-didn’t mean to—“

 

It all happened so fast. Her words were muffled as shock transported through her every nerve. Her eyes widened as she realized what was happening.

 

Lee Jonghyun was kissing her. Again.

 

As her lips were being caressed, she felt hands snaking around her waist. Softly and cautiously, she felt her body being pulled into his. Her heart thumped violently across her chest. She hasn’t finished her statements yet. Is this his answer?

 

“This isn’t time to be logical,” a small voice in Jo’s mind spoke to her.

 

And so without question, she gave in.

 

Under the dark carpet of stars reflecting its glimmers on the vast expanse of Manila Bay, it all felt so right. Jo tilter her head a little to the right and let her eyes fall close. Her lips began to move, returning the favor in the same heated passion. She got another chance, another moment. She’d be very stupid not to enjoy this.

 

Jonghyun smiled into the kiss as he felt her returning it. As if he heard a go signal, he instinctively pulled the girl closer (if it’s even possible) and let their bodies touch. The way she tilted her head provoked him more to tell her without words his reply.

 

As he deepened the kiss, the idol felt her fingers entangling themselves in his hair. This ignited his desire to be closer. Slowly, he brought his hands up to her shoulder, then let it crawl to her neck, until it rested on the crook of her jaws.

 

She’s like an authentic piece of Chinese porcelain – fragile, priceless. She’s the treasure that one aims to find at the end of the rainbow. She’s that dream one always dreams of. She’s a miracle that happens once in a lifetime.

 

And Jonghyun feels like the luckiest man in the world to be able to notice her at once.

 

When they pulled away, no one spoke. All that is heard are the sounds of their breathing, the sounds of their heart beating.

 

Needing to be close once more, the idol pulled her into a hug.

 

“We’ll make it work,” he promised. “I swear we’ll make it work.”

 

For the second time that night, Jo decided to let go of her emotions and give in. As she finally let her tears fall freely from her eyes, her arms s around the man’s thin waist.

 

“Promise?” She asked, looking for another sincere confirmation because she needed that.

 

Jo felt that the hug tightened.

 

“Promise,” she heard him whisper.  

 


One last chapter and we're done! ♥