2

The Chicken Case

2

Minhee found  her sleeping brother under the tree in their garden. He was good at hiding and she used to spent more than two hours trying to find him. When he came home that day he told her that he needed to think a little.
No he didn’t need to think, he was just lazy to help her with house chores.
 
Sunday  wasn’t her free day, but she spent all of her morning at home, looking after her grandma. Halmeoni wasn’t seriously ill, she was just old. So, from time to time she needed to rest whole day to function another week.
The kindergarten in village was different than the normal ones you have in your town. Because people were employed in the town, they sometimes needed to go there for four or three days and they didn’t have the money to travel every-day.
 
That’s why the kindergarten was also in night. And this Sunday was Minhee’s day. She worked in kindergarten also in Soeul, where she went to the school. To be a normal teacher for high-school students.
If you are interested why children went to school in Sunday, it's easy. They had one day off from school so they transfered all the classes to Sunday.
 
“Wake up,” she kicked Minsuk’s leg and he squealed “ Why are you always hitting me?”
“Because you are not listening to me?!” she asked irritated to the maximum level  “But today you came pretty soon from the station, what happened?”
Minsuk thought a little about what to say “ Ajjushi is not here,”
 
“And who ate all the food?” she was very suspicious of her brother “ Aliens? Don’t tell me,”
 
“No there are six guys living in there now, for three months,” he said and stuffed himself with the grapy berry that he tore on the way to the house.
“Really? That’s strange, anyways, today I see no lip-gloss on your shirt, bad day boy?”
“You don’t have to ask every little thing noona, and I figured out that you had a call with Ran, I am not stupid,” he said as he took of his shoes.
Minhee smacked his head saying “How can you forget about your girlfriend? I am surprised that girl goes with you somewhere, you are such a jerk to her,”
Boy sighed, he knew he really wasn’t good boyfriend. But considering the fact that Ran and him were going out just two months, he thought that he just wasn’t used to another person in his life.
 
“So? And what about those guys?” Minhee asked as she handed the three plates to her brother.
As a big action movie poster pictures of guys appeared in Minsuk’s mind “Well they are kind of freaky and neat,” he frowned.
“Look brother, it doesn’t mean when you and your friends like to be a dirty pack of teens every guy is like that,” Minhee said and placed the bowl with rice on the table.
 
Minsuk shrugged his shoulders; although his noona took it too lightly he was true, that it wasn’t something  to be neglected.
“By the way, because I will come at five tomorrow, tell me should I prepare food for them? What do you think?”
In that moment an old lady came to the dining room and said “ Well, they are new here so little hospitality would be on place,”
 
“Halmeoni, did you listen to us?” Minhee asked their grandma and smiled. It wasn’t a coincidence that Minsuk was so curious. Their grandparents worked for government when they were young. That’s why Minsuk wanted to be a detective, to do what his grandfather did. Their grandma was working in office on Ministry of defence, that’s how they met. She was a young secretary and he was a young detective.
 
Halmeoni answered with smirk and sat to the chair. She didn’t like the fact that Minsuk wanted to be in police. It was just plain luck that she met a man like her husband and they could have a life. Others weren’t that fortunate and ended up single all life.
But there wasn’t something she could do with it, so after a year she finally accepted Minsuk’s dream “ And with who are you going to train?” she sipped the soup and Minhee glanced at her brother with question in her eyes.
 
“Hyungs said I can come and train with them, so I will,”
“Fine, I am going to prepare the food for you tomorrow morning, say hi to them and you can also invite them for dinner on Friday, fine?”
“Arraso noona,” Minsuk said, although he was just half concentrated.

 


 

 

Next morning as Minhee had  said, Minsuk found  the food wrapped on the kitchen counter.  “Wow, noona made lot of food, I shall call Ran to help me with this,”
 
At half past seven someone knocked on the door. Minsuk opened it, and immediately stuffed the box to his girlfriend’s hands.
“Ya! You jerk!” she screamed, when he pushed her too much and she almost lost her balance.
“Mianhe,” he pronounced and took another two boxes, he bowed and gave her a quick peck on lips.
 
“Good morning,” he laughed at her irritated face and started walking.
“Why is there so much food today? Is unnie going to feed the whole school or what?” Ran asked and sniffed the delicious insides of her box.
Minsuk frowned “ See if you hadn’t ditched me yesterday you would knew what happened,”
 
Ran breathed in and out to calm her nerves “Seriously Minsuk, do you want to be ditched today too?”
“NO!” boy screamed in shock. He coughed because he wanted to maintain his image again “Fine, six new guys came, for three months to our village,”
Girl’s eyes sparkled “How old are they? Are they cute? Are they from city? Do they have girlfriends?”
 
“And how exactly would I know that? Seriously Ran, sometimes you are too much,” Minsuk shook his head upon his girlfriend.
“ You are too much Han Minsuk,” she whispered for herself, but because her curiosity won upon her anger she immediately paced to be the first to knock on the door.
“Wait, don’t run, I can’t ran with you,” Minsuk said when he saw as his girlfriend ran towards the police building.
 
“That’s why I am running, because it’s the first time you are going to lose to me,” she laughed back at him and knocked on the door.
Just when she knocked on it the last time door opened and so .
Man standing in front of her was something she had never expected. She was still in daze when her boyfriend punched her from side and smiled.
 
“Jungup hyung, “ he breathed out “ My noona is sending you food today too, and she wishes you good day too,”
That was when Ran finally got of her daze and bowed “ Annyeo! My name is Kwon Ran-ni, and I am,”
“She is my girlfriend,” Minsuk cut her of and she stared him with lasers in eyes.
“It’s nice to meet you, I am Moon Jongup,” he bowed to her and cried “ Zelo, come here and help me,”
 
Ran’s eyes widened even more when the cute tall guy walked to the door and took box from her hand he nodded before leaving “I am Zelo,”
She quickly bowed to the tall guy and smiled.
Jongup thanked them for the food and he almost closed the door, when another guy came. Minsuk saw as his girlfriend’s eyes sparkled again. “Daehyun hyung,” Minsuk nodded his head and the named guy blankly nodded.
 
“ I just wanted to say, that today after school you can start training, if you want to,”
Minsuk hesitantly nodded and bowed to Daehyung grabbing hand of his stunned girlfriend.
 
“Bye!” she excitedly waved at the young man, while her boyfriend headed to the school already.
 

 

Daehyun closed the door and walked to the kitchen. There was his dongsaeng Jongup sitting and stuffing the meat in the box to his mouth happily.
“Hyung, come eat, this is so delicious,” he smacked from pleasure. From the time they parted from their families, there hadn’t been many times they could eat the normal homemade food.
 
It was like heaven.
Youngjae paced to sit next to Jongup and opened other box with food “ This is so yummy,”
Yonguk and Himchan came too and sniffed the great scent. Daehyun was the only one who wasn’t eating at the moment and just crossed his arms.
“So who is going to teach that boy today?” Daehyun frowned. He had never been a fan of the fact that they were going to train some teen.
“I have to read papers today,” Youngjae quickly blurted, because he didn’t want to do a thing.
 
Zelo took a bowl of rice and meet from the box and said “ I have the watch today, so..” and he disappeared.
Jongup took whole box and stormed out saying “ Well, it’s mine and Zelo’s day, so..”
There were four people left in the room and Daehyun had the annoyed look on his face. Himchan was probably the only one who couldn’t really train with him that day and Bang didn’t want to be the first, he was afraid he would be too rough on that kid.
“It’s on you guys, you have to decide,” Himchan said to Youngjae and Daehyun. Both men had a staring fight.
 
“Youngjae, you are first,” Bang couldn’t take it more. Although Himchan was named leader of the team, Yonguk always had a stronger effect on them.
“As you say,” Yongjae nodded and watched how everyone left the kitchen. The question he had on his mind was what was the thing he was supposed to teach him.
 
Somehow he drifted with his mind to his training time.
 
Younjae 16 years old
 
Two men walking like there wasn’t anything creepy about them wandered around our school. How I was not supposed to find them? Absolutely normal looking elders walking in high school?
 
I knew that that wasn’t an inspection. I had already known all inspectors. And they were really easy to recognise. Nervous and trying to look normal at the same time, that’s how I could sense that was not natural.
Waiting for them in front the toilet they “disappeared to” I was humming the song that played in my mind all day.
“Why are you watching us?” one man  asked me, I smirked.
 
“Because you are fascinating and I want to know what you are,” I boldly answered. I saw that grim both men made. No I wasn’t scared at all.
“What?” they asked trying to fool me. Good actors must had trained for a lot of time, but it was nothing to my skills. I wasn’t dumb.
“Just tell me, are you some kind of officers right?” I asked and watched the change in their faces “ No, you are not the police officers, and not a detectives, what are you then? Agents?”
Man glanced at each other and nodded.
 
One of them gave me a card and said “ Come here tomorrow at eight in the morning if you are curious,”
As they said I came. I wasn’t really troubled with the fact that I was going to miss the school. It was more than obvious that they had it managed for me.
I opened the door.
Five boys were there. Most of them were younger than me, I thought. I sat up, not asking anything.
After few minutes the door opened, and boy walked out. He almost ran out to be exact. I raised eyebrow when another three sitting there stood up and walked off with him. There was just me and another one. He looked scared.
“If you are scared don’t go inside,” I “ You’ll never know if you can go back after this. Remember the Matrix movie and those pills,”
He turned white even more and I chuckled inside. I was good at this. Manipulating people, that was my thing.
When the door opened and one of the men who gave me the card waved at him he nervously stood up and ran off.
I chuckled and stood up.
 
Man was very surprised with the fact that I am the only one left there. I walked in the door and three man sat behind the desk and instructed me to sit.
“Your name?” one of them asked.
“Yoo Young Jae,” I said and smiled when they curiously looked at me. My voice wasn’t trembling at all and I was firm.
 
“So, young man. What do you think about being a part of the agency?” the one in the middle asked me and I nodded.
That was the start.
 
Youngjae 18 years old
 
I walked in to the office. My current boss, that helped me with coping with my position again called me to his office.
I was surprised when instead of his always angry and puffy face I saw two men older than me watching me closely.
They looked really scary, muscles everywhere and stood there, too stiff. Without asking I sat on the chair and waited.
 
If they wanted to say to me something they were going to. Although my “training” ended already I had just one official mission behind me. And I wasn’t even the main one. I was just helping.
It .
 
“So, you had finished,” one of them said and I nodded. They wanted something from me and I waited.
“I am Kim Himchan,” the same one spoke “And this is Bang Yonguk,” he introduced the other one who kept silence.
 
“Youngjae,” I simply said and waited. I knew that that people usually got nervous when I answered simply and quickly. But those two seemed calm even though I was on purpose trying to irritate them.
 
“I know guys like you,” Yonguk said and leaned upon me “You think that you are smart and that is what will help you go through. But let me say. That’s not enough. Not for you because I can see that you want more,” his voice took me off guard. Really deep and scary, but his presence really wasn’t.
I was surprised, honestly surprised, those guys knew some psychology and I took them as stupid muscle guys.
“And what can you offer me?” I immediately asked and they smiled at each other with silent conversation in their eyes.
 
“You can join us. We will teach you what we know,” that Himchan guy said “And you will teach us what you know,”
I nodded, it was simple offer, and looked better than to be stuck in the office whole day waiting for someone that will tell me what to do.
“Why did you choose me?”
 
“Because you are not stained,” Yonguk told me.
 
Youngjae was thinking about the last sentence. He couldn’t understand those words few years after that. But he had already known what his hyung meant.
to be stained was to be traumatized and angry with world. Youngjae knew that in this work there was the time to get stained and he now understood fully why they couldn’t have someone like that.
He was open to everything they told him, someone already stained wouldn’t have.
 

 

Ran waved at Minsuk, he was waiting for her in front of her class. Unfortunately not every subject they had together. It was not fortunate for Minsuk who wasn’t willing to leave his beautiful girlfriend alone. He wasn’t going to accept it, but he was jealous all the time, for those guys who spent their time in her presence.

That was kind of strange about him. He was very sociable but his best friends weren’t guys. Maybe because most of his free time he spent with ajjushi.
“Will you walk me home?” Ran asked and Minsuk nodded. The hell was he going to let her go with other girls again.
He quickly grabbed her hand and she smiled.
 
Although her boyfriend was a jerk she knew that he was the one. The warmness coming from their joined hands was enough.
“When are you going to run again?” Ran asked. She was sure that he was the fastest in their school and he loved it.
He shrugged his shoulders there was another thing that was disturbing him. But because of his man pride he wasn’t going to admit it to his girlfriend.
 
He was anxious and had a bad hunch that couldn’t leave him.
“You are strange today, we are here,” she said when she noticed that he wasn’t really giving her attention.
Her sister suddenly ran from the house with shocked face. I wasn’t a surprise that when her eyes landed on Minsuk she bitterly smirked “ Och, you are here too?”
That was something strange. From the perspective of Minsuk  his sister really hadn’t done anything to anger Ran’s sister. But two years ago when Minhee was admitted to the Seoul university and Ran’s sister not, she had to face her big anger and gossip.
And it wasn’t Minhee who resented Ran as a girlfriend of her brother. It was Ran’s sister not able to agree to their relationship.
But that day Kwon Sumi sister of Ran wasn’t in her angry mode. She looked more agonized than angry. “Unnie, what happened? Why are you so surprised?” Ran asked her sister who blankly stared at her.
 
“Our chicken is dead,”
The way she pronounced those words would stir up goose-bombs on everybody. Minsuk was little lost there “ So? Chicken live because they will unfortunately die to feed us,”
Ran smacked his back hardly, because she knew how her sister loved animals.
“But, come look,” she said and opened the entrance. It was the first time Minsuk walked through his girlfriend’s home doorstep. Sumi had never allowed Ran to take her boyfriend home.
 
They walked pass other cages with animals, small dog barked around Ran and she had to scratch his head to calm him down.
“What is this scent?” Ran asked. It was different from normal domestic smell of animals, it was almost sweet and bitter.
When they reached the stall that belonged to the chicken Ran covered her face in horror. The floor was painted in red. It was not the colouring, they could sense it.
It was blood, the feathers were every-where and just few bones were on the floor.
 
Minsuk tried to remember all of it, but to be sure he took his phone and made several pictures of the floor.
“You are so gross,” Sumi said and pushed him out of the house.
“But it’s not because I like it, but what if something happens?”
 
“Och, you are so like your sister. Thinking that you know everything,” Sumi screamed at him while Ran looked apologetic “ but you know nothing. It was a fox, came from hill, it’s evident, don’t put your nose into things that are not connected to you,”
 
“I’ll take you tomorrow morning, bye,” Minsuk left and headed to the police station, thinking about what he saw.
 
 

Hello:D again...so as I promised my another chapter is up. I will be more than happy when I will see the numbers of views raising.

I hope even though this story is not romantic or about your bias you will be interested.

Thanks a lot for stopping by and I wish you a good Friday!!!!!!

Enjoy.