11

The Chicken Case
11.
 
Minsuk opened his eyes and smiled. He knew that feeling, the feeling of something that was in the air. The air was filled with one word.
Friday.
 
Most of the people loved Friday because there wasn’t school, work, after this day. But Minsuk was little different. Friday was always the day when people stopped being normal. Minsuk saw them, they turned to their own selves. It was best, because he could observe their hidden nature.
He laughed as he went to the bathroom and cleaned his teeth and did the morning routine. From the moment he turned 16 he started being obsessive about his beard. Claiming that he had some hair he bought the razor and used it.
 
Now he had some beard showing, but not too much. To make his skin soft he needed to shave just once a week, and he enjoyed that day.
Ran was always secretly thinking that he feels more like man, when he shaves.
 
When he realised that his sister was probably at work again, he found the note on the kitchen table saying.
 
“Dear brother,  please take the food to BAP. Remind them to come to dinner at seven. Say hey to Ran and tell her that I thank you for the information she gave me yesterday. Have nice Friday and don’t be a burden to anyone, please,” he rolled his eyes, watching the paper.
“How am I burden to anyone?” he opened the fridge and took milk from it, without pouring it to the glass he drank from the box.
In that moment the doorbell rang. He paced to it not knowing who it can be.
 
“Hello Minsuk,” the man standing in front of the door greeted him. He had his blue cap and blue suit on. This was a postman that was working for the post almost for twenty years nonstop. Probably there wasn’t anyone who wouldn’t know him.
 
“Ajjushi! What do you need so soon?”
“I have something for your sister,” he said and from the basket on his bike he took a box.
“Can I take it?”
“Yeah, I know you, so it’s fine, sign it here,” ajjushi showed him the space where he should put his signature, while high-schooler was signing ajjushi continued with his questions “ So, does your sister have a boyfriend?”
“Not one that I know of,”
“Your sister is so pretty and smart and she is also very kind and is good in housework, so I was wondering, I have son,” ajjushi started but Minsuk cut him off “ If you want to discuss blind date ajjushi, you have to ask my sister and not me, I can’t help you with that,”
“Ok, I will,” ajjushi said and sat again on the bike.
 
Minsuk closed the door and sighed. Everybody knew post ajjushi’s son. He was thirty-three and didn’t do anything, just stayed at home and ate.
“What’s this?” he asked turning the small box in hand. There was definitely something inside, but Minsuk wasn’t sure about what it was. He didn’t know if his sister ordered something.
 
Then the door bell rang again, he opened it, only to find his girlfriend with a cheeky smile “Hello! Oppa!” she said and jumped at her boyfriend with joy.
Minsuk forgot about the box immediately and placed a kiss on the top of her hair, hugging her tightly.
“You missed me sooosooo much?”
 
Ran let him go and said “ No! You missed me more, I can see it in your eyes,”
“Whatever,” Minsuk said and went inside to take boxes from the kitchen.
“By the way, did you do your little research? About those people who send us e-mails?” Rannie wanted to know very troubled with everything.
“Yeah, I did, but we are going to talk about it later, and Mss. Kwon, did you by any chance tell my sister that I was eating at my room?”
“I didn’t! How can you think that?”
 
“Because you have too good relations with Minhee, “ said Minsuk and locked the house.
“You see, you should also have some good relations with MY sister, I wonder why you don’t have! Show some work,” Ran , although she knew that it would take a lot more than just to show Minsuk’s good sides, to make Sumi accept him.
 
“Do you really mean that?” he asked raising is eyebrow “ By the way what are you doing tonight?”
Ran chuckled “ I have dinner with someone REALLY important,”
Minsuk frowned “ Who is that someone?! Is he from our school?”
Ran as ananswer just nodded her head.
 
In that moment they already reached the police station and saw Jongup running from it in jogging attire “ Hi! You two!”
“Hyung, Oppa!” both of them chimed at once ad Jongup chuckled.
Youngjae soon came from the house out and helped them with the boxes with food.
“Hyungs, Minhee is telling you to not forget about the dinner tonight, she is going to kick my if you don’t come, “ Minsuk said and glanced at them.
 
“Of course we are coming, we wouldn’t miss the opportunity to eat your sister’s delicious cooking, right Jongup?” Youngjae turned to younger man and Jongup nodded happily.
“ By the way, I heard that you are coming too,” said Youngjae and Rannie nodded, her lips forming a smile.
“By the way Minsuk, today you will be with Zelo, although I don’t know what is he going to teach you,” Jongup said and moved to the house.
“Fine, have nice day, see you,” both teenagers  cried and Minsuk glanced at his girlfriend with piercing eyes.
“Somebody REALLY important,”
 
She smiled knowing that that cheesy comment is going to come out “ I meant you,”
 

 

Minsuk walked and surprised his girlfriend from behind. They were waiting in  the queue to get the food and Ran was chatting with her friends.
“Yah!” she jumped when she felt hand on her back.
 
Her best friends saw Minsuk and sighed “ Minsuk, are you trying to steal your girlfriend from us again?”
“I am not stealing something when it’s mine, do I?”
Ran blushed and her friends said at once “ So cheesy,”
 
“Come,” Minsuk just ignored them and without any words grabbed the waiter with her food and headed to the farthest  table in the cafeteria.
Ran just turned to her friends and with apologetic face mouthed “ Sorry,”
 
Minsuk placed her food on the table and sat down. Observing what she bought for her dinner he smiled “ Just this? Are you trying to look like skeleton?”
Ran took a spoon of her soup and told him “ Not everyone has an appetite of elephant and Minhee as a sister,  I am not lucky like you, I don’t have anyone who would make me food,”
“ So why don’t you do your food?”
 
“Did you forget? Even a coffee that I do is salty, I am terrible,” Ran reminded him and Minsuk chuckled. He remembered last time she tried to make him fried rice. It tasted like mud with rocks.
 
Minsuk took his mess-tin from his backpack and opened it. Ran smelled the fresh rice and vegetables, kimbab and all the things he got mixed in that.
“Sometimes I wish that your sister would make me food too,” Ran said and continued eating her tasteless lunch.
 
“ You look so miserable, here,” Minsuk said and gallantly changed their food. Ran joined her hands together and bowed “ Gomawo, oppa!”
“That’s nothing, just eat and leave me something please,” he asked trying to don’t mind the taste of Ran’s soup.
Taking a paper and pen from her backpack Ran started thinking out loud “ We should write down those who were interesting from the e-mails and from the things we know,” 
 
“Then, we start with those who were already known. So there is you, so write Kwon family,” Minsuk said.
Ran nodded and wrote it down “ Then there is Choi family, that boy Changjo, you remember right?”
Minsuk nodded and ate one of the Gyeran Mari that he had in the mess-tin “ Then Junho,” he said with very unpleasant tone.
“Why so serious?” Ran asked being playful and almost sang it like GD.
Minsuk growled making Ran smile in content “ There is family Byun and also Minnie, I think she Is Park,” Minsuk said and  Ran wrote it down.
“That’s five, now what about your e-mails?”
 
“ I have got one from Changjo, so that is written,” he continued and tried to remember the names of others “ There was one with name Kim and one with name Song,”
Ran nodded and said “ That’s seven than, I have one more. His name was Lee,”
 
“That’s eight, Minsuk said. That can’t be a coincidence, show me those names,” he said and Ran passed him the paper.
“Somehow, they are very familiar to me, but I don’t know why,” he said as he went from one to another.
Junho walked pass their table and without asking sat down “ Hello Ran, Minsuk,” he nodded to his side, but smiled at Ran.
 
“I want to ask you, what will you do with those who joined your little club? I am not stupid and I realised what you wanted to do, but you know you can’t just play it like that,”
Minsuk was angry, he knew that Junho was somehow right, but what he could do with that? He glanced at Ran who said “ What do you mean with that? We are going to go with it, it’s more funny that you think,”
“If you say so,” Junho said and stood up “ I will be watching you,” he did the eyeing gesture and left them both.
“ I thought that he liked you,” Minsuk said and Ran shrugged her shoulders “ I thought that you would be the one to answer him,”
“I was going to, but I…..”
 
Ran took a piece of carrot and stuffed  it to Minsuk’s mouth “ Of course, you were going to,”
Minsuk just gulped it down and grimed.
 
The school bell rang and people immediately started being in chaos. Ran and Minsuk stood up in distaste. They had another hour with teacher Spicy. And their last class was terrible.
 

 

Minhee was on her way home when her phone rang. She opened her handbag and found it there.
“No, please, no,” she said and roughly turned the call off.
There was this sudden noise coming from behind her and she turned around.
 
“Yonguk oppa!” she called at the tall man.
“Och, hello Minhee,” he quickly ran to her and smiled “ Are you finally getting off the work?”
“Yeah, finally,” Minhee nodded and asked him “ And what were you doing oppa?”
“ I went to buy something,” he answered and showed her the carry bag in his hand.
 
“And you went that way, to the store that belongs to Mr. Liang?” she asked and Yonguk nodded. He really went to buy something but on his way he purposely waited for Minhee.
“Let me tell you that his groceries are more expensive than those which is  Mrs. Cho selling, her store is about km from here, that way,” she showed him the way and Yonguk smiled “ Really? I will be taking that as a note,”
In that moment Minhee’s phone rang again and she angrily glanced at surprised Yonguk. He had never seen that look in her eyes.
 
“Sorry, I need to take care of this,” Minhee said and took the phone call “ Yeah, what do you need from me?” she asked angrily. Yonguk wasn’t able to tell who was she talking with but he saw that her face was getting more and more red.
“No, I didn’t get anything from you,” she sighed “ and even if I got it, I would not take it,”
Yonguk was walking by her side and didn’t really know what he could do. Minhee looked more than frustrated and angry,
“Please, stop it, you really shouldn’t do this, I know what you are up to, just stop!” she said and turned the call off.
 
“ Is everything ok?” Yonguk asked and looked at Minhee, again he had some hunch about who called her.  Minhee had that feeling that she could tell him what was the matter. He had the father feeling around him.
 
“Well, I am fine. But that was my ex-boyfriend,” she said and Yonguk nodded. He had realised that from the way she talked before.
“Can I ask what happened between you two?”
 
“Well, you can. It’s nothing  to be ashamed for,” she smiled sadly “ We have been dating for two months when he told me that I am not the one for him. I am apparently too simple for girlfriend of a city boy. You know here I may be known for the truth that I am studying in Seoul, but there I am known as a village girl that was lucky to get to that school, that’s all,”
“Do they treat you badly?” Yonguk asked and Minhee glanced at him and smiled “ No, they don’t, people who go to this kind of university are wise and cultivated,  they are not bullies. But you can’t erase prejudice,”
 
“ Ach, I understand, so he…..?” Yonguk asked and tried to be very careful about the words he was choosing “ He dumped me, yeah,”
“ But why is he calling you now then?”
“Because he wants to get me back, apparently,” she smiled and Yonguk asked “ And you?”
 
“ I am not stupid I know everything, and I had already forgotten about him,” said Minhee and answered the non-given question “ His parents want him to marry quickly, they have their standards and according to what I heard I would be the perfect candidate,”
“Bastard,” Yonguk said without realising it and apologised “ Sorry,”
 
“Don’t worry oppa, he is bastard. He said that he sent me something, I hope that Minsuk hadn’t accepted it already, I don’t want anything from him anymore,”
They reached Minhee’s door and Yonguk nodded at her and charmingly smiled “ I will not say goodbye because we will see each other today, so see you,”
Minhee nodded and walked into the house leaving captain Bang behind. Although she talked about her ex with apparent nonchalance, she was hurt.
Who wouldn’t be, knowing that she is not good enough for someone, just because she was raised in the village, and she had to understand the city life.
 
First year that she spent in the city was more than just hard. She didn’t know anything about the people in the city. When she had lived in the village all her life, where everyone knew everyone she was surprised with the way people lived in the city. Not just the number of people, buildings, or places to go out with friends.
No, it was also because of the way people didn’t care. People in the city didn’t care about those who were homeless, or about those who had no money or, place to study.
 
It was the real world and for someone with good heart as Minhee, something unbelievable. She spent almost half of a year playing the  “satisfied student” when she came back home.
Luckily, because she was already in the town, she prepared everything for Ran and Minsuk when they would come to start their studies.
 
Of course, not all this stuff, but more than half Yonguk had already known. With every other conversation he had with Minhee he realised more.
And of course, he liked her more.
 

 

“ I am going to help your sister, ok?” Ran said and waved at Minsuk who stopped in front of police office to visit Zelo and get to know something else.
“Fine, Minhee is going to be more than happy, and your sister knows that you are going to come to dinner?”
Ran smiled “ It’s not that my sister has a full power over me, there are also my parents you know,” when she had finished, she felt that she said something wrong and immediately ran to her boyfriend.
 
She hugged him tightly whispering apologetically “Sorry, I didn’t meant to be mean …I didn’t meant something like that, sorry,” she sobbed and tears started running down her cheeks.
Minsuk was surprised, he knew what she was pointing on but he didn’t think about it like she did.
 
Wrapping his arms around her small body he sighed and kissed the top of her head “Rannie, don’t cry, it’s ok, “ he said and she stopped sobbing so much.
She pulled off from him little bit and glanced at his face. Minsuk smiled at her with reassuring nod and she said “ I am so sorry,”
“It’s fine, go,” he smiled at her and she nodded. Minsuk wanted to wipe her tears with handkerchief but he realised he didn’t have one.
So he just pulled his sleeve little bit and he wiped her cheeks with that.
 
Ran smiled and her heart jumped immediately. For those clumsy moments when he forgot to pull out his jerkish style, she could do anything.
Sometimes it’s slipped from that she had parents and Minsuk not. And when that had happened she wanted to slap herself.
Minsuk and Minhee started living in the town when their parents died. Because when you are 6 or 7, you don’t talk with students of another gender, Ran and Minsuk started to talk when they turned 13. They talked just when Minhee came with him to Sumi and Rannie’s house.
 
And after they started to go to the same class in high-school, they talked more and more. Minsuk liked Ran from the moment he turned 16. And Ran waited for his confession, for  almost two years.
Minsuk smiled at her disappearing body and knocked on the door.
 
“Hello,” Himchan opened the door for him and smiled “ I can see that Friday written on your face,” Himchan said and Minsuk smiled.
“ Yeah, Friday is the best day,” Minsuk walked in and found old slippers prepared on the floor for him.
“So, are you exercising, what I have told you before?” Himchan asked although based from his appearance he knew the truth. He just wanted to test his honesty and character.
“Let’s say that not everyday,” Minsuk said and it was truth. Twice he exercised before he went to bed.
 
Himchan nodded in content.
 
“It’s your choice, if you want to be detective and in police, you are going to train. Zelo is waiting for you,” Himchan said and walked away smiling. Minsuk was definitely not going to be in police. He had to tell Bang that he was again right.
 
With the way Minsuk was handling his training, he wasn’t going to be able to go trough everything.
Minsuk walked to the Zelo’s room. It wasn’t a room where Zelo slept, it was that room, where he had all of his equipment for work.
Everything that had to do something with technology, was after Zelo’s command. From cameras to computers, headphones, microchips and phones.
“Hyung, hello,” Minsuk smiled at his hyung who was engulfed in doing something, that he couldn’t associate with anything.
“Shoot,” Zelo said when the thing he had on the table sizzled and white smoke was released.
 
Just then he took his special spectacles from his eyes and glanced at Minsuk who was there standing with surprised face.
“Och, Minsuk, you came,” Zelo cried and smiled at him.
“Yeah, how was your day¸ am I interrupting you in something?” Minsuk asked and  Zelo quickly shook his head.
“Why are you asking? Because of this?” Zelo asked and pointed on the small electronic box he had on the table.
Boy nodded, his hyung looked pissed with the truth that it sizzled in his hands before. But Zelo just waved his hand and said “ Don’t worry, that is not important right now, for anything,”
 
Truthfully, Zelo was little startled with the whole training part. He wasn’t like his hyungs, not at all. When you look at it, he was the only one who wasn’t trained to be soldier. No, he attended normal classes, and his skills were lacking. That’s why he wasn’t sure what he was supposed to teach him now.
But the day before, the one he secretly looked up to, Yonguk, told him something that helped him to prepare for today.
 
“Come on,” he said. Zelo took his jacket and shoes and smiled at surprised Minsuk.
“Where are we going?” Boy was not prepared to go out at all. It was something new for him. His almost same tall hyung smiled and said “ I am going to let you see things you didn’t see before,”
They closed the door after themselves and walked few meters from the house. The street was almost empty. Kids were free from school already, and their parents hadn’t come from work yet. Minsuk was seriously curious what was this all about.
On the bigger surprise, Zelo stopped in front of the house with brown fence. Minsuk new that the person who lived there was an old lawyer who came to spent his retirement here.
 
“What’s this Minsuk?” Zelo showed him the bell.
Minsuk wasn’t sure what he thought with what  it was , when it definitely was a bell.
 “Bell?!”
“And? Does your bell look like this?” Zelo asked again, making Minsuk’s curiosity burn. Boy looked at the small button better and he saw, that there was bright blue light on the corner of it.
“No, what is that?”  Minsuk pointed on in.
“There is a support electricity line coming from it. It’s to give you an electricity shock,” Zelo said nonchalantly.
 
“But why would someone do something like that on his bell? I mean…” Minsuk questioned, but Zelo was already on the leave “ Because, he wants to be sure who is going to come to his house, it’s illegal way of protecting yourself. How long is he living here?”
Minsuk said with widely opened mouth “ Around four years,”
His hyung nodded “ See, he is running from something,”
From that moment Zelo took Minsuk around the town. Boy was really surprised with the amount of things he didn’t see before.
 
 
 
 

Hello:D So this is my last update before going to work, maybe On Saturday I will upload something,.....but I am not sure..

Have a nice week children and feel free!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to music and forget the scandals...those are not important:P Love you