nine

Nothing Better Than You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINAH

 

"Well, this is my house," I awkwardly said, pointing at the small house next to the bakery. "Thanks for taking me home."

 

"No problem," Kai answered. His eyes stared down at the cold cemented ground. Everything became so quiet and awkward ever since he saved me from almost getting hit by a car. We walked side by side without saying a word. 

 

I was expecting Kai to leave after taking me home, but he didn't. He stood there as if he wanted to say something to me, but he didn't; he kept his head hung low, staring at the ground. It was this awkward feeling again. But at the same time, I didn't want him to leave either. So instead I stared at the ground, wondering what was so fascinating about it that Kai couldn't get his eyes off of it. 

 

I was about to speak, but Kai beat me to it. "I need to tell you something," he says looking at me now. 

 

I looked up. "What is it?" I questioned. My heart beated quickly, waiting for his response. It wasn't like I was expecting him to say something... weird... but I was somewhat anticipating his answer. 

 

"I―" Just as Kai was about to speak, the front door of my house swung opened. It was my mother. 

 

My mom had a big, motherly smile on her face, but it wasn't because of me. She was smiling at Kai. Please do not embarrass me mom, I thought while I glared at her, hoping she noticed I was also here.

 

"Nice to meet you. I'm Minah's mother. Are you her boyfriend?" She greeted. Just when I hope she wouldn't say anything embarrassing. I facepalmed myself in shame. 

 

"Ommaaa," I whined. "He's just a ...." I was about to say friend, but the word just wouldn't escape my mouth.

 

"Friend," Kai said, finishing my sentence. "My name is Kai, but my birth name is Kim Jongin. Nice to meet you," he continues to say formally. He slightly bowed his head in respect.

 

"You're such a well mannered and handsome man. Come on in. Would you like a cup of tea?" My mother asked, opening the door wider to let us (or him) in. 

 

"Omma, I think he's busy. Right?" I jabbed his elbow, signaling him to go before he can face even more of my mother's weirdness.

 

"Yes, I would like to have a cup of tea. Thank you very much," he responded. My jaw dropped open as he walked in the house. What does he think he's doing?! 

 

"What are you doing Minah? Get in the house," my mother ordered. 

 

"Why did you invite him in?" I whispered as I stepped in the house, taking off my shoes.

 

"Well this is the first time you ever brought a friend that's a boy in the house," she said, emphasizing on the word friend.

 

"Why are you saying it like that? He really is just a friend," I said. 

 

"I don't know. He seems to be more than just a friend," my mother implied. I couldn't argue with that.

 

"Why don't you take Kai to your room while I make some tea?" my mother asked. "But no funny business." My eyes widened in surprise. Why is my mom making my life so difficult?

 

"Ommmaaaa. Stop embarrassing me," I complained. I grabbed Kai's wrist and dragged him to my room at the end of the hall before my mom continues to speak more nonsense to embarrass me.  

 

When we were both in my room, I made sure to close the door so that I wouldn't hear my mother. I gulped, realizing that I was still holding on to Kai's wrists. I cleared my throat as I slowly let go. Kai comfortably sat on my bed, viewing every aspect of my room. <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter