seven

Nothing Better Than You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINAH

 

8:00 pm. It was closing time for the bakery. I scurried my way towards the front door and flipped the sign from OPEN to CLOSE before another customer came in. Normally I wouldn't mind if only a few customers came in even though it was time to close the shop, but today I made sure to close on time because Hyeri and I had an important date to go to. 

 

It probably sounded weird, hearing that Hyeri and I had a date tonight. Just to clear things up, Hyeri is the one who has a date, while I'm just the sidekick who goes along in case my best friend becomes too nervous and starts talking about nonsense nonstop. And trust me, I've been there all the time. Hyeri was quite popular among the guys with her charming aegyo, funny personality... she was the whole package. And me? Well... not so much. Or maybe because I never had the time to crush on a guy or either realize that a guy is crushing on me.

 

Nonetheless, I never had a boyfriend. I never knew how it was like being loved by a guy or knew any guy who really knows me. All this time I've been working; no time to spare to look for someone to date, which was why at first I told Hyeri that I didn't want to go on a "double date," as people called it.

 

It was earlier this afternoon, when Hyeri called me after I returned the change to Kai at the boardwalk.

 

I answered to the sound of Hyeri screaming in excitement, making me hold the phone far, far away from my ear until she stopped.

 

"I hope you're done screaming because my ears hurt," I said.

 

"Mian-hae (sorry)... I have great news to tell you!" She cheerfully told me. "I have a date tonight!"

 

"That's great news! But didn't you just date a guy a month ago? What's his name...? Was it Chanyeol?" I raised an eyebrow, still trying to think of the name of Hyeri's ex-boyfriend.

 

"Yeah his name is Chanyeol... Never mind him. My date's name is Do Kyungsoo. He's amazing and great. I want to introduce him to you."

 

"That's great. I'll love to meet him."

 

"So it's a double date then!"

 

"Excuuusee me? A double date? I heard wrong right?" A double date? Since when was that arranged? Me and another guy I have never met? I don't even know what is dating.

 

"Well you see... Kyungsoo invited his friend over for dinner and wanted me to invite you as well. Come on. It'll be fine."

 

"No thank you. I guess I'll meet Kyungsoo another time." 

 

"You haven't even met the guy yet. I heard he is handsome, kind, he just came back from Korea, and he's rich," she described. "I never said you have to date him. Just meet him and support me? I'll do something for you if you come."

 

"You'll take my shift at the bakery for the rest of the week starting tomorrow?" I grinned evily. 

 

"What?!"

 

"Then I guess I'm not going..." I teased.

 

"Fine, I'll do it," Hyeri says, "Thanks Minah."

 

That's how Hyeri got me to go on the double date with her. But somehow, I felt like I was more nervous than her. Maybe because I'm not experienced at all in this dating field. 

 

"Omma, is it okay if Hyeri and I leave the bakery first?" I asked when she came out of the kitchen. Her hair was twisted in a messy side braid and her apron was dirty with flour all over it.

 

She had a tired look on her face, but she always smiled warmly at me. "Of course, there's no problem. You girls worked hard today. Is there a special occasion today?"

 

"Minah and I are going on a double date tonight," Hyeri giggled when she folded her apron and placed it in the closet.

 

"Minah's going on a date?!" My mom's eyes widened in surprise, but she smiled as if this was what she was looking forward to her whole life. Was it that surprising that I'm going on a date? I guess so, since I'm surprised myself.

 

"I wouldn't say it's so much of a double date. I'm just meeting the guy for the first time. Never said I was going to come home with a boyfriend," I said. 

 

"What are you waiting for?! Shoo shoo. Get ready for your date." My mom starts pushing me and Hyeri out the door. Before we left, she said, "I hope you come back with a boy."

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

"What should I wear? The long sleeve, white dress or the violet sleeveless dress?" Hyeri asked me as she pulled out two dresses from her closet. Why is she always asking me for advice in dressing up when she's the fashionista herself? I would say everything looks nice on her, but Hyeri would sigh and take even longer to find something to wear.

 

"Go with the violet sleeveless dress. That way when you shiver or get cold, Kyungsoo will take off his jacket and wrap it around your shoulder. Maybe he'll even wrap his arm around your shoulder to keep you warm," I winked at the end causing Hyeri to squeal. 

 

"Good thinking. You're pretty good at this aren't you? I guess you're ready to date now hmm..?" She snickered when she goes to put the dress on in the bathroom.
 

"Nah. It's all in the dramas."

 

Hyeri comes out with the dress on, twirls around, and finally approves of her apperance. She looks at me and says, "You're going out dressing like that?"

 

I looked up and down at myself. I wore a plain white tank top with a light blue jean jacket over and light blue skinny jeans to match. "What's wrong with the way I dress? Don't make me dress up even girlier because I won't."

 

"At least fix your hair and makeup," Hyeri r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter