Ch. 9

A Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A few weeks have gone by and the same still remains. Chorong and Suho have not spoken to each other since their last encounter. The members can all see the effect that it has taken on them. Their leaders are always looking tired and never in the mood. All the smiles remain for the cameras but behind the camera, neither of them puts any effort to smiling. If only there was something to smile about.. maybe it would make things a lot easier.

All the awards shows were piling on. Everyone was busy preparing for all the busy beginning of the year schedules.

Seoul Music Awards

Most of the Kpop idols were all there for the event. Seated in round tables Exo was seated directly in front of wouldn't you know it... Apink. There were even moments captured of the latter cheering for Exo as they sang their encore song. Everybody seemed to be in high spirits, at least that's what it looked like in front of the cameras. 

Things for the two leaders were a different story.

Exo's Dressing Room for photoshoot
Tuesday 5:43 P.M.

All of the guys are getting ready as Suho just sits in one of the stools staring blankly ahead. Chen noticed him from the side and took the seat next to him. 

"Hyung" Chen nudged him as he sat down

Suho blinked almost like he was woken up and looked to Chen who had a look of worry on his face.

"Hmm?" Suho said

Chen sighed and looked at Suho, "How long are you gonna keep doing this?"

"Doing what?" Suho looked at Chen confused

"How long are you gonna keep torturing yourself?" Chen said seriously, looking at Suho

Suho looked down once he heard Chen's words. He knew exactly what he was talking about. He remained silent not knowing what to say

"Hyung. You know that you're just as much at fault here." Chen spoke up

Suho told him about what happened that night backstage, so he was one of the people that understood the situation.

"But you have to stop being an and just get up and talk to her already. This isn't helping either of you and we all know that."

Suho's throat seemed to feel dry as he just sat taking in Chen's words. He didn't respond and kept staring blankly ahead.

Chen looked at Suho and shook his head in frustration from the silence. He sighed and got up, "You know one day you're gonna have to get off your high horse and talk to her. I just you hope you realize this sooner before it's too late"

As Chen walked away Suho leaned his head back looking at the ceiling and took a deep breath. He clenched his fist in frustration, but it wasn't towards Chen or anybody else... it was frustration towards himself.

After the photo shoot everybody was packing up to leave getting ready to head to the van.

Suho quickly walked towards his manager and pulled his arm before he got away.

"Hyung. Um. Can we talk?" Suho said to his manager who was now worried and looked at Suho

"What's this about?" he asked anxiously

Suho looked down and up at his manager hesitantly. "I was wondering if I could just have 2 days off just to go home. Visit my family. I just... I just really need a break to sort things out you know"

"You do realize that the Gaon Charts is coming up?" 

"I know and I promise I'll be back before then. I just... really need this break hyung"

His manager looked up at him and saw the exhaustion in Suho's eyes. He knew what Suho was going through right now and fully understood the reason behind this request. 

He sighed and bit his lip, then began to nod, "Okay.. but you have to promise me you'll be back by then."

Suho gave a small smile and nodded, "Nae. Thanks hyung"

His manager patted him on the back as he walked away.

Suho stood there, thinking things over and relieved for this long needed break. He needed to think things through.

Apink Practice Room
Wednesday 10:39 P.M.

"Come on let's get this right. 1 and 2, 3 and 4" Apink's choreographer Minji clapped to the beat as the girls danced. Chorong missed a beat, "Stop! Stop! Cut the music!"

She sighed in frustration and looked at the girls "You guys have only a few days until the awards show. Do you realize this?"

All the girls looked down with solemn faces "Nae."

Minji sighed "Okay. Again from the top"

The music came on again.  The girls began again "1 and 2, 3 and 4" In the middle of the dance Chorong missed a beat forgetting a move and quickly tried to catch up, but was not quick enough.

"Stop! Cut the music!" Minji shouted and looked at Chorong reprimandingly

Chorong knew she was at fault and didn't look up at Minji's eyes. 

"You know what. Let's just take a break. 5 minutes everyone!" Minji yelled "Chorong-ah can you come here for a second"

Chorong slowly walked towards their choreographer. Still not looking her in the eyes.

"Chorong-ah. What's going on? You're always out of it. Is there something wrong?"

Chorong still looking down spoke in a low voice, "Mianhae unnie. I'll try harder" 

Minji still looking at Chorong hoping she would just say what was on her mind. A few seconds past and she realized she wasn't going to get anything so she gave up sighing deeply, "Nae. Just go get some water" she excused Chorong.

As Chorong went to sit down on the floor, Minji walked towards Naeun.

"Naeun-ah what's going on with her?"

Naeun knew who she was referring to as they both looked at Chorong who was just sitting down against the wall holding a blank stare as she took a sip of water from her bottle. 

"We don't really know. She's been like that for a while. She won't sleep or eat much. All she does is practice and sit alone sometimes. She's been really quiet lately."

The two ladies looked at Chorong worried. A few minutes they all went back to practice. After 20 minutes they finally nailed down the whole dance perfectly.

"Great! That was great! Now just one more run through then we're done. So from the top!" Minji signaled for the music again

"1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5, 6" Minji clapped and stopped once she saw Chorong from the side.

Chorong was swaying from side to side as she held her head in throbbing pain. She was taking a few steps that seemed as thought they were in slow motion. The girls began to notice and stopped dancing as they looked at Chorong.

All of a sudden before anyone could react. Chorong slowly released her arm that was holding onto her head and closed her eyes, collapsing to the ground.

"Unnie!!" all the girls screamed and ran to catch her.

"Unnie!!"

They shook her but still no response.

Their manager quickly ran to them and picked up Chorong in his arms, "Someone call an ambulance!!" he yelled

"Unnie! Chorong Unnie!!" the members yelled with tears beginning to form. Frantically shaking her limp body in their arms.

Kim Joonmyeon's Home
Thursday 10:47 A.M.

Suho walked downstairs to find his dad who was reading a newspaper in the kitchen.

"Morning son. Breakfast?" he motioned towards the table of food, as Suho sat down across from him

Suho sighed "Nah. I'm good. Thanks" He sat looking out the window into their backyard beside the kitchen window sill.

"So... you wanna talk about it?"

"Hmm?" Suho looked at his dad whose face was hidden behind the newspaper

"There's been something bothering you since you got here" his dad said still behind the paper

"Mmm.. No I guess I've just been tired" Suho scratched the back of his head as he looked away.

"Well if you want to talk about it.. you know I'm always here right?" Suho's dad folded the paper revealing his face as he looked at Suho with an assuring grin.

Suho gave a small chuckle at his dad, "Nae. Where's omma?" he looked around the kitchen

"She's outside in the garden. I think she needs you. Why don't you go check on her."

Suho nodded and headed out to the backyard to find his mom humming a song as she was watering the plants with the water hose.

"Omma. Appa said you needed me?"  he said to her as she quickly turned around and smiled at him

She gasped and smiled at her son, "Nae. I need you to help me dig a place for these new flowers of mine" 

She took a shovel and handed it to him. She clapped her hands in excitement. Suho shook his head and smiled at the sight of his mother getting all giddy and excited from her gardening. She was always one to get happy and excited over the smallest things.

"You know you're father never likes to help me out with these things. So I finally get a helping hand with you around." She placed the prepared flower pots beside him ready to be placed into the ground.

Suho smiled and began digging with the shovel. "Yeah. I guess it's good I'm back"

His mom glanced at him as she continued watering the plants, "So you wanna talk about it?"

Suho rolled his eyes and sighed, that was it. Taking the shovel, he stuck it into the ground and turned at his mom "Why does everyone think I need to talk about something?"

"Well why else would you come home all of a sudden?" his mom looked at him raising her eyebrows

"Can't I simply miss my family?" Suho began to dig again with a look of frustration.

His mom grinned at him, "Oh son. You and I both know that's not why you came here. What's the real reason? There's something bothering you and you're not saying"

Suho was frustrated and sighed he continued digging choosing not to respond.

His mom surrendered.

"Fine then." She sighed and went back to the water hose, "Who's the girl?"

Suho immediately stopped his digging. This didn't go unnoticed by his mom. She smiled a little. 

"What?" was all Suho said.

"You heard me Kim Joonmyeon. Who's the girl that keeps running through your mind?" she looked at him with a grin

Her son scoffed and shook his head. 

"Okay. Don't say anything." his mom spoke up, "I guess I'll just have to talk about this with your father."

Suho groaned in frustration leaning his head back and looked at his mom who was still watering the plants with a smirk on her face. There was a silence for a couple minutes. Moments later he finally spoke up.

"When did you know?" Suho's voice spoke up.

His mom looked up at him "Know what?"

"That appa was the one" he looked at her seriously

His mom was a little taken back by this question. She took a few seconds and spoke, "I didn't know right away. Actually I think I realized it once he wasn't there beside me. Whenever he wasn't by my side the more I wanted to be with him. It was a scary feeling to know that someone could have that much of an effect on you, but it was amazing to know that he felt the exact same way." she smiled as she looked down at her plants

Suho absorbed his mother's words. He continued to dig still lost in thoughts.

"But wait!" his mom spoke up and looked at him with her hands on her hips, "Don't tell me you're seriously thinking about these sorts of things with someone else and you haven't even introduced them to me?!" 

Suho looked at his mom and began to chuckle, "Omma. Relax." He walked up to her embracing her.

"No! You listen to me!" she wriggled out of his embrace and pointed to him narrowing her eyes, "The next time you bring a girl here, she better be this person that has got you thinking about this stuff. I wanna meet this girl! Arasso?!"

Suho smiled and scratched the back of his head "Nae."

His mom laughed too and went back to attend to her plants.

Ring Ring

Suho pulled his phone out of his pocket.

1 New Message

From: Manager hyung

Joonmyeon-ssi. I know I shouldn't be disturbing you on your break, but I just thought you should know. Chorong's manager called me saying that Chorong collapsed and is now in the hospital.

Suho quickly put his phone away and ran towards the house. His mom looked up at him and noticed. 

"Hey! What's going on? What's wrong?!" she yelled to her son who ran inside the house.

Asan Medical Center
Thursday 2:12 P.M.

All the members and their manager are out in the hallway waiting for word from the doctor. They sat anxiously waiting for any sort of news. A man in a labcoat approached.

"Are you guys here for Park Chorong?" he said

"Nae. Is she okay?" their manager walked up

"Yes. She collapsed due to fatigue. We were also informed that she hasn't been eating lately?" 

Everyone nodded in confirmation

"Yes well we're gonna need her to start eating so we've sent up a food tray. She's gonna be okay. She just needs a lot of rest and we'll need to keep her here overnight to run some tests to make sure everything's okay."

"Yes that's fine" their manager nodded as he sighed

"Okay. Well you guys are welcome to see her now" the doctor assured them and walked away.

Once they got into the room they saw Chorong in the hospital bed looking out the window. 

"Unnie." All the girls slowly approached the bed

Chorong blinked and looked to the door and saw all of them slowly walking to her. She smiled as they all rushed to hug her.

"I'm okay guys really. I'm not dead" she joked as the choked her in hugs.

All the girls nudged her as they wiped their tears that were beginning to form "Don't say that!"

She sighed and smiled at the sight of her concerned members. "Mianhae. I shouldn't have you guys worry about me like this."

"Unnie. We're a family. We're always gonna worry." Namjoo spoke up.

Chorong sighed "Nae. Komawo."

"You better start eating or else I'm gonna shove this jello down your throat if I have to!" Bomi quickly opened the jello pack on the food tray

All the girls laughed even Chorong.

"Nae. Nae." She took out the spoon and scooped some into , "Okay?" she said with a mouthful of jello

All the girls nodded and smiled. After a few hours they all had to say goodbye and let her rest. Chorong fell asleep.

She didn't wake up when an unexpected visitor walked into the room as she was still in deep sleep.

He slowly approached her and placed a pot of orchids onto the bedside table. He sat on the chair at her bedside and stood there for a few minutes looking at her. Seeing her in this condition in a hospital bed got to him. A pang of guilt surged through him. He rose from his seat and reached his hand over her face gently brushing away a strand of hair covering her face as she was sleeping. Tears beginning to form in his eyes he inhaled and covered his mouth with his hand.

"Mianhae" he whispered as a tear drop fell "Mianhae. Mianhae." he repeated in rushed whispers as the tears refused to hold back.

He stood beside her for a few more moments and was surprised as he heard someone's voice out in the hallway. 

"Excuse me. Can you point me out to Park Chorong's room" a male voice could be heard at the nurse's station.

The visitor quickly wiped his tears and slowly approached the door to peek to see who was there. He saw Jinyoung bowing to the nurse and took that moment with Jinyoung's back face toward him, to slip out of the room and quickly walked away.

As Jinyoung smiled to the nurse to bow he turned and began to walk towards Chorong's room. He was about to enter when he noticed a familiar figure from the far end of the hallway, walking away. 

"Suho?" Jinyoung said to himself in a low voice

"Jinyoung oppa" Chorong's voice interrupted him as he looked into the room and saw her looking at him with dazed eyes that seemed to have just woken up.

Jinyoung smiled and walked to her "Annyeong"

Chorong smiled at him as he took the seat next to her bedside, "Annyeong. You really didn't have to come"

"If I didn't you'd probably be bored out of your mind" he teased as he poked her 

She chuckled, "You're probably right"

After they talked and caught up. There was a few moments of silence. 

Jinyoung sighed and looked down and then up at her, "Chorong. What are you doing here?"

Chorong looked at him confused, "Well.. the doctor said I fainted cause of-"

"No but why?" Jinyoung cut her off, with a more serious expression on his face, "Why are you doing this to yourself?"

Chorong knew what he was getting at

"I guess I just have a lot on my mind" she looked down

"And by a lot you mean Suho?" Jinyoung said straight forward

Chorong was at a loss for words, she gulped at the mention of his name. He knew what her response was because she didn't have to say anything. The silence says it all.

Jinyoung knew his place. He knew better than that.

He sighed, "Look I didn't mean to come here to get all serious on you. You just have to know that, you're not alone. I've seen him around music shows and if you guys took the chance to look up once in a while, you'd realize that you both have the same effect on each other. It's just as hard on him"

Chorong looked away. She didn't know what else there was to say.

Jinyoung left a few minutes later, Chorong layed in her bed looking out the window lost in her own thoughts yet again.

An hour later she was visited by her family who were worried to death, especially her mother who was close to fainting and crying. After a few minutes of tears and sobbing she was able to calm down.

Her little sister Sunyee looked at her bedside table and pointed, "Unnie! Those are so pretty!"

"Hmmm?" Chorong looked to where her sister pointed and saw the pink and white orchids that stood on the table.

"Who brought them?" her sister asked

"I don't know." Chorong thought about it and smiled. Of course.. Jinyoung she thought to herself

Once she was all alone to herself she began to think to herself.

He didn't come.

Of course he wouldn't come.

Why would he?

It's not like she meant anything to him anymore.

 

Oh Chorong if you only knew~

 

MBC building

Exo was getting ready for a special guesting on a TV show. They were about to enter the studio when someone called out.

"Suho!!" 

Suho turned around to find Jinyoung running towards him. He was taken aback and stood there.

"Can we talk?" Jinyoung said to him a little out of breath as he stood in front of him

"Look if this is about what happened. I'm really sorry" Suho began to apologize 

"Yeah yeah it's cool" Jinyoung brushed it off in a rush, "but that's not what I wanted to talk about"

Suho confused "then what?"

"I know why?"

"Why what?"

"Why you were so angry that night"

Suho scoffed and shook his head. He couldn't believe how ridiculous this all sounded, he gave in, "Why?"

"Because you couldn't stand seeing her with somebody else"

That, Suho didn't expect. He was immediately silenced and looked at Jinyoung with a blank stare almost dead frozen.

"You couldn't stand seeing someone else making the one you love, smile."

Whoa Whoa. Who said anything about love? But Suho didn't say anything... uh oh.

He still stood there dumbfounded.

Jinyoung sighed and smirked shaking his head. He knew that familiar response. It was the same one Park Chorong had. Then again, Jinyoung knew his place.

"Look man, if you really love her then you'd know that she's worth fighting for. But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.. so don't be an idiot and wait around for someone else to take your place."

Jinyoung patted him on the back and walked away. Suho stood in the same spot where Jinyoung left him. Taking in all that was just said to him.

Show Champion Dressing Rooms

B1A4 were getting ready to leave and just headed out their dressing room.

"Jinyoung oppa!!" 

Jinyoung turned around to see Chorong running towards him. She held onto him out of breath and smiled, "How about that coffee?" 

He smiled and laughed, "Okay then. You're treat right?"

Chorong nodded and laughed, "Yeah yeah. You won fair and square."

Once at the coffee shop they took their drinks and sat at a table next to the window. 

"So how are you?" Jinyoung asked

"I'm good. I've been eating.. if that's what you're aiming at" Chorong smiled

"You read my mind" he chuckled "but that's good to hear"

Chorong smiled, "Oh by the way thankyou for the flowers! They're beautiful"

Jinyoung confused "Hmmm?"

"The flowers.. the orchid ones? You brought them to the hospital" Chorong looked at him with worry

"Mmmm... no.. I didn't bring any flowers" Jinyong shook his head

"Huh? Well if you didn't then who did?"

Jinyoung shrugged, "Beats me"

Chorong blinked still thinking. She shook her head at an utter loss. She had no idea.

Gaon Chart Kpop Awards

Most of the idols were gathered yet again. Once everyone was awarded by the end of the show all the artists gathered for a group photo on stage. It was a difficult task getting all of them together and in the frame but it was all made possible. 

After the photo, some stayed on stage talking to other fellow idol groups. From the side Suho caught a glimpse of Apink. He saw Chorong laughing and smiling with her other members. 

Unknowingly a smile formed with his lips too. This didn't go unnoticed by Chen who nudged him as he stepped beside him.

Suho looked at him

"Go over there and just talk to her. You know you want to." Chen tilted his head towards where Apink was standing

Suho smiled and sighed, "Aniyo. I think we're good where we are" he glanced back at her once more and nodded as he walked away off stage.

As he was approaching the exit, a little girls voice called out to him. 

"Oppa! Suho oppa!" he quickly turned to the familiar voice and saw Soohyun running up to him with a bouquet of flowers in her hands

He bent down to her level opening his arms as she ran into his embrace. He smiled wide in disbelief. 

"Soohyun! What are you doing here?!" he said as he picked her up in his arms

She giggled "Omma and I wanted to surprise you."

"Omma? You mean?" 

"Surprised?" his aunt's voice spoke up as she approached the two smiling

"Auntie!? How'd you guys?" Suho still at a loss for words

"You're manager got us seats at the front."

Suho was still in disbelief his manager never said anything

"But how'd you guys know about the event?" he asked

"I think you're forgetting that my brother's a manager for one of these idol groups too"

Ah. Yes how could he forget..

Suho nodded "Oh yeah" he gave a small smile "Well I'm just glad to see you here!" he looked at Soohyun and tickled her in his arms

She giggled "Oppa. You looked so cool up there!!" 

"Oh yeah? Well thanks" he smiled

Mrs. Lee looked at the two of them and smiled, "You'll be coming home with us tonight."

Suho looked at her surprised, "What? Waeyo?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter