Chapter Four: Jonghyun's Dream

Have we met before?

A day before Kibum’s “death”, 9:04pm

Cuddling together on the couch watching a late night romance movie, Kibum tried to take in as much as could at that moment, not anticipating what would be happening the next day.

I’d never meant to hurt you Jonghyun, please remember that. –Kibum thought to himself and tightened his grip on Jonghyun.

“Are you cold? Do you need another blanket Kibum-ah?” Jonghyun looked at Kibum with eyes of concern. Drowned in those loving eyes, Kibum merely shook his head and leaned it against his shoulders.

“Jonghyun… Just a wild question, what would you do if I died in a car accident?” Kibum started.

“Why the sudden question, love?” while he sneaked a peck on Kibum’s lips for love’s sake.

“Psh Jonghyun, come on, I’m just curious.”

“In all seriousness Kibum, I’ll die. I’d rather die than live my life without you.” He confessed, holding both of Kibum’s hands, gazing into his soul. Kibum had ended up sitting on Jonghyun’s lap, both of their faces too close.

“No you idiot, you can’t die. You have to chase your dreams, Jonghyun. Be a singer or something. Promise me, alright?”

“Geez Kibum. You speak as if you were dying soon.”

And oh did Kibum puff his cheeks up.

“But yes, I’ll promise you. Because I love you too much for my own good hehe.” And sealed the promise with another long kiss.

 We can forget everything just for that moment. Just for that moment Jonghyun, you and I can be together for sure.

 

Three weeks before Christmas, SM entertainment, 11:11am.

Jonghyun listened to every word of Kibum’s. Pursued his dream, sang his heart out, became a trainee. All for Kibum. That’s all he’s ever been doing ever since Kibum “passed away”. Training non-stop for his dream.

Grabbing his outer coat, Jonghyun made his way to meet Minho at the gate to Seoul’s dance academy, known for producing top-notch dancers after they graduate. What was he doing there you might ask?

Chasing his dream of course.

Dancing? No.

Kibum.

It had been usual for him to block out Minho’s daily conversations on the phone with Taemin. But once he knew Kibum was attending the dance school with Taemin, he pestered Minho to tag along to visit Taemin. Scratch that, he needed to see Kibum for pete’s sake. Not that he knew Pete or something. But you get it. It hasn’t been almost three days since they last met him on the plane, yet Jonghyun couldn’t get his mind off Kibum.

He wasn’t even sure what to answer Kibum if he asks him the reason why he was there. Heck, he didn’t even know if Kibum had dance classes today. But one thing for sure, Jonghyun knew he had to see Kibum.

 

Seoul Dance Academy, 11:30am.

All sweaty from dance practice, Taemin dragged himself out the studio but eyes sparkled when he saw Minho (completely ignoring Jonghyun’s presence by the way) standing by the door and threw his body on him.

“Minhoooooo! You’re here! Oomf I’m sorry, I’m really sweaty right now. I should let g- .”

“I don’t mind, Taemin.” Minho patted Taemin’s hair.

Seeing Minho like that even though he was much more of a romantic than anyone, made him nauseous.

“Taemin Catch!” A voice from behind Taemin prompted. All Jonghyun knew was a black bag was flying in his way and his only choice was to knock into the door next to him or be hit by the bag. Obviously before he could make his decision, the bag hit him hard straight up his face. Stumbling a step back, Jonghyun steadied himself and picked up the bag, suddenly clear of who the owner of the bag was.

Ah yes, fate.

“Oh my god I’m sorry I hit you. I mean, Taemin was actually supposed to catch that. But you kind of… I’m really sorry! Are you okay… Jonghyun?!”

Amused by Kibum’s reaction, Jonghyun chuckled.

“You have an amazing amount of strength, Kibum.”

Not actually understanding if Jonghyun meant to compliment or insult him, Kibum realized he must’ve hit Jonghyun pretty hard to mark a scratch or more like a wound since it was starting to bleed, most likely caused by the sharp wooden edges of the keychain on his bag.

“Oh god you’re bleeding. I’m so sorry. Come, I’ll help you with that.”

Noticing Minho and Taemin were already gone, Jonghyun found himself (gladly) being dragged by Kibum to the restroom.

 

Gents, Seoul Dance Academy, 12:08pm.

“Gosh stop moving Jonghyun, or I won’t be able to clean this wound of yours.” Kibum nagged, while Jonghyun sat on one the benches waiting for Kibum to tend to him.

“Kibum, I told it doesn’t hurt; now would you stop blaming yourself and the ‘stupid keychain’ you’ve been muttering about for the past minute.” He assured him. However, still curious at which keychain could’ve ever been that deadly, Jonghyun picked up the puzzle piece-like keychain and took a breath in.

“You know, I should probably throw that keychain awa-.”

“Don’t.”

“I mean it’s dangerous!”

“Just… don’t, it’s too beautiful to be thrown away like that.” Jonghyun sighed in relief as Kibum placed the band aid across Jonghyun’s face, suddenly realizing that their faces were too close for Kibum’s comfort, he backed away from Jonghyun as quick as a mouse. Completely unaware of the reason Kibum was suddenly so flustered, he gave Kibum a ‘What?’ expression.

“You’re right; I should probably keep it. I mean, it has my name engraved at the back of it too.”

“Yeah.” Jonghyun replied fondly. It does.

Changing the subject completely in split second, Jonghyun held Kibum’s bag and took his wrist and started to direct him out of the restroom announcing that he wanted to treat Kibum to have lunch with him.

“What? But Taemin was supposed to…”

And Jonghyun knew exactly what to do to make Kibum agree. Puppy eyes.

“But we…”

Intensified puppy eyes.

Puffing his cheeks up in defeat, he let Jonghyun drag him out after persuading him that he would be the one paying for the meal as an apology for hitting his face. However, Kibum didn't fail to notice a similar puzzle piece-like keychain hanging out of Jonghyun’s back pocket. 

 

Author's note: A little shorter than usual, but I hope it's okay! Because the next chapter would be start at a totally different place, I had to end it here. Much much love to everyone, especially my subscribers! Comment and I'll update soon alright~