Necessary Lies

Wasurenaide (Don't Forget)

"JYJ Kim Junsu's controversial Tweets."

From the moment Junsu posted his feelings, criticism had surrounded him. According to the media, he was an arrogant ingrate. Even his old friends from SM spoke of him in a negative light.

"Junsu yah," Yunho sighed sadly as he finished the last sentence of the article. "Why'd you do it..."

Yunho buried his head in his hands. He thought back to the hiatus days, when he hated waking up because his head throbbed with pain from drinking the night before. Even when he could finally crack open his eyes, he would sit in bed in a daze for hours, listening to the silence of the bedroom that belonged to him, and him only. If he could get up before lunch time, he would throw on the plainest clothes he could find, press an oversized cap on his messy head, and aimlessly roam the streets alone. He would occasionally hop on a subway and watch the scenery change outside the window, then get off at a random station and spend the rest of the day finding his way back.

All the while, he would listen to his MP3, filled with DBSK songs. Only the old ones, with their underdeveloped vocals and clumsy lyrical interpretations. He couldn't bare to listen to the newer ones.

"It's not the end," he would tell himself again and again. "It's a new start. If I ever cross paths with them, I'll be able to casually say hello. It's not the end."

But even though he would try to take his first step, the wretched thing called hope - hope of reuniting with the three and continuing the memories together - would often tie his feet to the ground.

It had driven the manager hyung nuts whenever Yunho went on these day-long "journeys" because he would refuse to pick up his phone. But at the same time, no one could stop Yunho from leaving the dorm. They were afraid that if they didn't allow even that, he would never recover from his depression.

But now that Yunho was back on his feet, he was obligated to do what the company would probably want him to do, and say what the company would probably want him to say. The press conference was the first opportunity to show it.

"JYJ said that they tried to contact TVXQ, but failed to reach you," a reporter asked. "Is this true?"

"It's not true," Yunho replied. "They never tried to contact me."

Lies. You recognized which texts were sent by Junsu, Yoochun, and Jaejoong. Even among the ongoing prank calls and messages from stalking fans. You had read them with agonizing difficulty and secretly deleted them so his manager hyung would never stumble upon it.

"What do you think of JYJ Junsu's tweets?" a reporter blurted out, and camera flashed incessantly before him and Changmin.

Here goes, Yunho thought. He had practiced this countless times. What to say, how to say it, using what kind of voice, wearing what kind of expression.

"I don't mind what he said about me," Yunho said, almost mechanically. "but to use the term 'enemy' against not only our staff, but our seniors as well, was not right of him."

Meehan hae Junsu yah, Yunho said in his heart, fighting to finish his answer. But I can't protect you anymore...