Under The Rain

The Love I Wanted

Sunyoung's POV

How do you know if you care or not? How do you know if there's that thing called "spark"?

"Why do you ask?" Hana asked me as we walked out of the campus building.

I just shrugged. "Just asking, though."

She pondered over it for a moment, alomost hitting a trash can and knocking an innocent lower year student out of his wits. She looked at me with a straight face. "I'm not sure."

"You're not sure," I repeated.

"Yeah."

"And you have a boyfriend."

"So?"

"Shouldn't you know?"

"Why do you wanna know?"

"Just because." And I closed my mouth. 

"Uh huh." She said, raising an eyebrow. "Just because."

I didn't bother replying anymore. If I do, I might just throw myself into the open air, wearing a guilty face and a sign that says I think I like someone but I'm just not sure.

And I'm just not sure about Baekhyun.

Yesterday, during the Photography class, he just kept taking pictures of me. The others are doing the same thing as well, but I wasn't bothered with them at all. It's really just Baekhyun's presence that fazed me to the bones. And I didn't know why.

He kept on smiling at me. He kept on taking pictures of me. He kept talking to me.

And deep inside my gut was telling me to calm down. Because I was just practically hiding my nervousness with an awkward laugh that I'm hoping no one noticed.

We were already out the gates, and we both looked up to see that the sky was already pouring rain endelessly.

"Wow."I mused. "What a wet ride home."

We both took our umbrellas out and we started to part ways to go home.

"Hey, Sunyoung," Hana called me back.

I turned to look at her.

"You'll know you care... when you care that he cares." She smiled and walked away.

I stood on my ground. A fountain of emotions exploded within me like a firework bursting into the sky. 

I'll know if I care that he cares? 

Some tip.

I unrooted myself from my spot and started walking to where the bus stop is.

Unlike most people, I like rainfalls. No, not storms. Rainfalls. The moderate fall of the precipitation from the clouds above until it falls back to the surface of the earth. 

The rain makes me feel warm. Call me crazy, but it does. It gives me some kind of an assurance that I'll be safe under the downpour, to hide my feelings under the shade of my umbrella, and to walk under the that same crying sky without anyone noticing me.

While all the other people are running or brisk walking under the rain, I, while holding up my umbrella, took my time walking across puddles. My left hand was inside my jacket pocket, and my other held the umbrella.

Someone came under my umbrella, just popping out of the blue, all doused and drenched.

"Can I walk with you?"

His hair was wet, his clothes are damp, and he was smiling apologetically and directly at me.

My heart stopped. "What happened to you?"

Baekhyun wiped the water off of him while we both walked under the safety of my umbrella. "I actually forgot my umbrella today. I always bring it. But it decided not to come with me today. Isn't that ironic?" He chuckled.

"Yeah..." I said slowly.

I was at a loss. Baekhyun coming under my umbrella was a totally surpising moment. I didn't know him much. He doesn't know me much. I only know him by name. And yet he was standing beside me, walking with me.

He pocketed his towel and faced me, one hand facing up in an offer. "I should take that." He was pointing at my umbrella. 

Before I could even answer, he took the umbrella from me, and he was now holding my safety stronghold from the rain for me.

I didn't know what to say.

"I'm really sorry," he said, but he was smiling, although still apologetically. "I think I frightened you."

He was making casual talk. I thought I should just go with it so my akwardness would just melt away. I tried to make a small laugh but seemingly ended like chortling. "Yeah, you did."

"I just forgot to bring my umbrella, and I decided to just go run through the rain. And, well, I saw you. I was hoping you could let me under your umbrella."

I didn't even know what to make of that. That he saw me and hoped I would let him near me.

"I hope you don't mind." 

I shook my head. "No, no. I don't mind."

He nodded, satisfied. "So... where are you supposed to go?"

He was actually good at this casual talking. I'm greatly thankful for it. I don't have to push myself into talking just to let the awkwardness go away. But then at the same time, I wish he could stop. The more I might talk to him, the less casual response I could think of.

"Bus stop," I just replied direct to the point.

"I see," he nodded slowly with his reply. "Would you mind if I walk with you until there? Just so I can return this umbrella back to you at the same time." He laughed.

I tried to laugh with him in a casual way, but it turned out to be a withered laugh. And then again, I'm hoping he doesn't notice. 

"Sure, I don't mind."

He smiled. "Thanks, Sunyoung."

He mentioned my name. Why did I get the shivers under my skin when he mentioned my name?

"No problem," I replied again. Casually.

And after that reply came the awkward there-is-no-topic-anymore-so-we-should-just-stay-silent-and-be-awkward awkwardness. And it's killing me.

The rainfall, that moderate rainfall that I adore, had suddenly turned into a sudden heavy downpour. My umbrella is only effective as a rain stopper if only one person is under it, but there were two of us then. And I'm actually getting my side wet.

He suddenly moved the umbrella closer to me, and pulled me closer to him with his other hand. "Move in closer. You'll get wet."

I wanted to reply that I already was, but I stopped when I saw he almost wasn't under the umbrella anymore.

"Hey, Baekhyun, you're getting wet yourself."

"Nah," he answered. "It's alright. As long as my head is under the umbrella, I'll be fine. And as long as you won't get wet too, we'll be fine."

I suddenly felt a guilt that I shouldn't be feeling. Guilty because Baekhyun ran to my aid so he won't get wet, but instead he just became my umbrella holder. The guilt trip. It .

I tried to make it sound smooth. "Lol." Seriously. I really say that word per se. "You came under my umbrella to not be wet. So you have to cover yourself with the umbrella too."

"I'll be fine, don't worry."

"It's really okay." I moved the umbrella a bit closer back to him. "You need it more than I do. I have a jacket." I pointed to my own. "See?"

He chuckled. "Okay, okay. Thanks."

Good thing, too, that I have a hoodie. I put it up and wore it over my head. 

We finally, finally, arrived at the bus stop. And right on cue, the bus came in front of us, leaving us no time to talk even more.

Baekhyun was about to close the umbrella, but I stopped him.

"What? Why?"

"Take it with you," I half-smiled. "You really need that right now more than I do." I imitated what I did earlier with my jacket. "I have my jacket."

He held up the umbrella back to his head again. "Are you sure? You need this too. You'll get wet when you go down the bus. I don't want to burden you by taking your umbre-"

The bus conductor shouted at us. "Hey! Are you riding or not?"

I nodded at the conductor and quickly looked back at Baekhyun. "Just take it. Return it to me tomorrow."

Before he could even answer, I ran and climbed into the bus.

I just gave out my security of warmth to a person I didn't fully know yet.

I must probably be a total loser.

But the again, Baekhyun cared for me with that slight moment.

And in that brief moment, I actually cared that he cared.