Beautiful Smile

The Love I Wanted

“And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.” 
― Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

 

---

Sunyoung's POV

I keep on looking at the door during that first period class.

"What are you looking for?" Hana suddenly asked me. "Or rather, who?"

I immediately glanced at her. "Huh?"

"You're looking for something?"

The professor hasn't arrived for our photography class. There were already students inside the classroom with us, waiting for our teacher to arrive. But Baekhyun isn't here yet.

"None. Nothing."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

Over the course of days and weeks that had passed, Baekhyun had proved to be very hard to ignore. Most of my classes this semester is with him. And every time I see him, I try to analayze his every move, even trying to check if he's looking at me or not from a peripheral view.

And at that moment, I was waiting for Baekhyun to arrive.

It's downright agitating. I don't know him well and I don't know him personally nor acquaintedly, but I really do want to make friends with him. I just can't approach him. Shy? Nervous? I don't know.

The professor has arrived earlier than expected that day. He started discussing about the basics of taking portrait photos using our DSLR. Personally, I don't like Photography. I'm not into this. I'm just trying to be a good student, following instructions and all, just so I could pass this subject.

I got bored out of my wits while our professor is taking different rounds of portraits of one of my classmate. I also tried not to notice that Baekhyun hasn't arrived yet. 

Why am I so agitated to see him?

We were already given the activity for the day: take a partner and take a portrait picture of him/her beside the window.

"Hana, let's go?" I asked.

We both stood up along with the others to take part in the activity by the window.

"Hey, Hana, why don't you go first as the model? I'll take pictures of you first."

She pointed at me jokingly. "Just make sure I look pretty."

And so I did try to make her look pretty.

I took a lot of shots just to get the portrait of her right. Despite of me being an amateur, I think the portraits I took of her were really good.

"Think of anything sad to make you look sad," I told her. "Think of your boyfriend dying."

"HEY!!!"

I laughed so hard. She pouted and tried to make herself grieve of that sudden news about her boyfriend.

When I was done, she told me, "Come here. I'll take pictures of you next." And then we switched places.

I tried to put feelings into my face, feelings of anger and sadness and all of those kinds.

"Think of your dog dying," she suddenly said. "HA!"

"HEY!!!" I replied, and we both laughed.

I was so into looking out the window as Hana's model that I didn't realize most of my classmates had taken me as their model too. Some of my classmates were beside Hana, taking pictures of me.

And among them, there was already Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun's POV

Everybody was already doing something the moment I arrived in class. Funny thing is, they were all huddled together and was taking pictures of someone.

Particularly Sunyoung.

After being scolded by the professor for being so damned late, I got my camera from my bag and started to join the others.

Sunyoung was blankly staring at the window, just as how she was instucted by the others.

"Think of your dog dying," I heard Hana say.

"HEY!" Sunyoung protested, but ended up laughing. She was actually laughing. And her laugh was so genuine, I just had to take that picture immediately.

She kept on laughing and laughing. And I find it kind of cute, actually. I turned to look at the screen of my DSLR. Sunyoung looks so genuinely happy.

I turned up to see that most of the students have left her already, except for Hana who was still taking pictures of her.

Sunyoung then started to become calm again and stared at the window.

Her smile.

I wanted to see her smile again.

I immediately took that moment to sit in front of her and take pictures of her. She was just staring at the window. I honestly don't know if she noticed me or not because she made no signs of  it.

But I wanted her to smile again.

I just braved it out and spoke.

"Hey, Sunyoung-shi. You look pretty when you smile. Can you smile again?" I asked her nicely.

She looked at me first, as if noticing me for the first time, and she smiled and looked out the window again.

"Think of your dog dying again, Sunyoung," Hana quipped.

And in an instant, Sunyoung laughed heartily again. And it was a chance I immediately took. I took lots of pictures, because I don't know how to make her laugh again. I checked my DSLR screen to review the pictures.

She's so happy.

She wasn't laughing anymore when I looked up, but she seemed to look like in a generally good mood. It's actually rubbing off of me, and it's already making me smile too. 

She's like a happy virus. Like Chanyeol.

I watched her as she started packing her bag. I checked my pictures again. Honestly, even though she's not celebrity-pretty, she looks beautiful with her genuine smile.

I suddenly walked up to her. "Hey, Sunyoung."

She looked up and seemed surprise, her eyes glowing. "Yeah?"

I don't know what came in to me to walk towards her. But I just suddenly spoke, like I'm on autopilot. "You look very pretty with your smile in the picture."

She immediately beamed. "Oh, thanks."

I felt awkward. Does she feel awkward too? I hope not. I just raised a thumbs up to release the awkwardness. And there again, she laughed and gave back another thumbs up.

And with that laugh, out of the blue and all of a sudden, I'm officially drawn to her.