First Conversation

The Love I Wanted

Chance. That's what they keep on telling me. I should give it a chance. Give love a chance? Seems unlikely though. But maybe... should I? Should I give it a try?

 

---

 

Sunyoung's POV

The mornings aren't always the same since I shifted from my previous major to my major now. I feel like dying from all of my parents' scrutiny with my academics. I just hate how they bother to lecture me when they were the ones who got me in this academic situation in the first place.

If they hadn't pushed me to be practical.

If they hadn't pushed me to be what they want.

If they'd just let me be who I am.

But as of now, that's not the case.

"How's school?" Dad asked as soon as I arrived at the dining table the next morning.

I took a seat just opposite from him. I don't want to seat near him. I might get his "judgemental and temperamental" disease. "It's good, so far."

Mom arrived, taking the seat beside Dad. "What's your schedule this semester?"

I made myself a peanut butter sandwich. "Mondays through Fridays."

"Until what time?"

"They differ."

"How many units have you taken this semester?"

"10."

Both their faces turned sour early in the morning. It's these conversations that I really want to evade and avoid. If I can just get away easily. But they're grasp is too strong.

"From a maximum of 15? You only got 10?" Dad asked in disgust.

"Dad, it's not what you think. There are pre-requisites that I still have to take. I can't take another subject unless I finish those. And I can't finish those because I'm still way behind."

"Are you even trying to catch up?" Mom asked. "When are you going to graduate now? Sunyoung, you've been in school for 3 years now and you haven't even left the 2nd year status."

I just hate it when they start this. I want to run away. I want to just disappear from this conversation. I want to disappear now.

I didn't speak. Speaking means I want to start a war with them. Talking to them means that we, their children, are snapping back at them. Saying our rights to them means we're breaking their hearts.

It's unforgivable.

"Why can't you be like me, Sunyoung?" Mom continued. "I finished college half a year ahead of my original graduating time. And I was still in the province that time. And life is so hard! But you? You kids have everything nowadays but still you can't finish college properly."

Seriously though. She's comparing me to her. And it's not amusing.

"Why can't you follow how I did so you can be like me when you grow up?"

Be like her? How? Manipulative? Overly-sensitive? Liar? Proud?

I'm never gonna be like her.

"I'm gonna leave for school now." I stood up and took my bag. I can't take that talk anymore. A few more minutes in that conversation and I'd drop dead. Seriously.

To avoid their suspicions, I just kissed them goodbye and left without a word.

I don't need a lecture from them if all I get is a lecture of how I would become as poisonous as them.

 

---

 

"So you mean I went here for nothing?" I told Hana as soon as I saw that there were no professors inside my supposedly only class that day.

"I don't know if Mr. Kim is present or not. I just know that he wasn't in his other classes," Hana replied.

A guard passed by. "Is this Mr. Kim's room?"

We both nodded.

He opened and unlocked the door for us. We trickled inside the room along with the other few students who are brave enough to wait if ever the professor would arrive.

"I can't believe I went here for nothing," I complained.

"We don't even know that for sure."

I sighed. Knowing Mr. Kim's reputation for not attending his classes regularly, I'm pretty sure he won't appear. 

"Woah. Where did he get that?"

I looked at Hana. "What?"

She pointed behind me. "Look at his camera. What is that on his camera lens?"

I look behind me to see Byun Baekhyun talking to the others. He was holding his camera beside him, and what Hana was pointing at was something that looks like a rubber wristband surrounding the lens of the camera.

"Why don't you ask him?" I teased.

She lifted an eyebrow. "I don't even know him."

I laughed.

"Hey, guys!" Baekhyun suddenly announced. "Mr. Kim isn't arriving, but we better write our attendace. Just to be sure." 

And at his command, some of our classmates scurried to look for a paper. Hana was able to produce a paper from her bag. "Guys, I got one." Then she started writing her name.

"Write mine, too," I told her. After writing hers, she wrote mine and gave the paper to another to write his or her name.

I sighed once again. "And so another fruitless day."

"You said that right."

"I shouldn't have come."

"Then I won't have anyone with me today!"

"You can do it fine on your own."

"Hello."

Hana and I looked in front of us to see Baekhyun greeting us, his camera in front of him. 

"Are you guys going to the parade next week?" he suddenly asked with a smile.

Whenever I feel giddy and nervous, I cover it up by either laughing or just being plain stupid. And I don't even know if I'm giddy or nervous. If either, I don't even know why. "Aha... aha... I don't know. Hana... ahahaha. Are you gonna come?"

Hana nodded slowly. "I guess so. How about you, Baekhyun-shi?"

He nodded with a smile. He likes smiling, does he? "Yes, of course. It would be nice if everyone in our department could come. Remember that our color motif is brown." Then he crunched his nose. "How ironice. Arts. Then brown."

"How did we become brown?" Hana asked.

"The office already gave us that color."

I tried to look away. Baekhyun talking to us is quite weird. I don't know. I just feel it. Maybe because he's a guy I've been taking notice of the past few days, then he suddenly speaks to us like we know him.

"Baekhyun-shi, what's that on your camera?" I heard Hana ask.

I didn't bother listen what Baekhyun said. Nor did I hear it anyway. But when I looked back at them, Baekhyun was already standing up, but he was smiling at me.

I was stunned as he left.

"Ew. Why brown? I can't believe we're brown," Hana mused.

I didn't reply. I was feeling something weird inside. I don't know how to explain it. I just don't know. 

"Earth to Sunyoung?"

"Yes I hear you, Hana."

"What do you think of the color brown?"

I shrugged. I couldn't care less.

Students were already starting to leave the room after they have signed. I didn't want to leave yet because the room was airconditioned. I like airconditioned rooms.

Someone tapped me from behind.

I whirled my head around to see Baekhyun behind me, grinning, showing me the piece of attendance paper. "Have you written your name in yet?"

I tried my best not to look at his eyes. I avoid eyes. I get mesmerized looking into someone's eyes. Especially someone whom I never even interacted with before. 

But I nodded and smiled back in respect.

"Ah, I see. Sunyoung, right?"

He knows my name?

I nodded.

"Well, are you going to the parade?"

I'm not really sure exactly how I felt about the parade. I'm not really a crowd person. I avoid crowd, another one of things I avoid in my long list. But in respect, I just replied, "I'm gonna think about it."

The room has almost been vacated. He smiled this eye smile at me. "It'll be pretty nice if you could come." He turned around and headed towards the door. "Bye."

You? Me? Or you as in the plural form of you? You?

Fish sticks.

Hana and I left the classroom last. Hana was busy on her cellphone again, but I was still stuck at our conversation. I mean, mine and Baekhyun's. It was our first conversation. Pretty lame. But still a first.

I don't know why I'm counting. I just am.

Then a realization hit me. "Hana?"

She looked up from her phone. "Yeah?"

I paused for a moment. Saying this to her might make her think of anything weird. But she knows I'm not into love. And I know I'm not into love, so probably saying this would just mean as a compliment.

"Baekhyun is pretty handsome, no?"

 

 


Hallo!! I dunno where the sudden outburst of subscribers came from, but thank you for subscribing! :D

And guys! comments are much appreciated! ;A; Please comment! ;A;