Together

Hidden

*Happy new year dearest readers (I hope you are still there)! After a long hiatus I'm back with a new chapter! I've been very busy with real life stuff. Actually this story is already finished in my head but I can't find the time (and inspiration) to write. Enough of the excuses, I hopethat I'll make it up to you with this new chapter!

Special shoutout to chingus @riendonghae, @MethaAlanaSailormoon and my partner, @mlenil for patiently waiting for my update XD

Enjoy!*

I hear voices mumbling about things I cannot fully comprehend. Try as I might I cannot seem to bring myself to consciousness. However I can decipher one familiar voice – a voice that makes my heart leap with every word uttered.

Slowly, darkness was filled with light as I opened my eyes and met the gaze of the person I love the most.

“Chae Won-ah? How are you feeling?” Joong Ki asked in a worried tone and gently pressed my hand. I tried to sit but he prevented me to do so.

“I feel light headed and a little nauseous. What happened?”

“You lost consciousness while we were by the river. I was so worried, but fortunately an ahjussi was passing by the forest. He helped me to get you here.”

I then directed my sight to the old man kneeling beside Joong Ki. His white beard shows his age, similar to that of the other elders in our village.

“I suggest that you take some more rest. I will be back to bring you some herbs to help you. Your husband needs to discuss with you as well.” The old man left the room, and I directed my attention to Joong Ki.

“Husband? What does he mean to say?”

“We are already in a far-flung village.  I had to tell them that we are married. It would help us to hide from the king’s soldiers. More importantly it would spare us from people’s speculations, especially now.” He averted his gaze away from my eyes.

“I do not understand what you mean to say. Especially now, what?”

Joong Ki placed his free hand over my middle. “Chae Won-ah, you’re pregnant, with our child”.

I gasped upon absorbing Joong Ki’s words. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. We knew this would be possible, nevertheless we neglected the fact and indulged ourselves into each other in order to escape from the dreadful situation that we were in. This child is ours, Joong Ki and I, the fruit of our love. But our current the predicament is not suitable, this is not the right time to bring a child into the world.

I took in deep breaths to somehow clear my mind. Is this a dream? How I wish it is. But no, this is real. This is happening. What will we do?

I placed my hand over Joong Ki’s and lightly squeezed it. “We will get through this together, am I right?” I need his assurance.

“Yes, together.” Tears escaped from my eyes as we exchanged faint smiles.

Joong Ki

Fear swallowed me whole when I saw Chae Won lose conscience by the river.  I gathered her in my arms and called her name over and over but to no avail. I looked around but I all I see were the mountains covered by autumn-colored trees and the still clear river. Where will I ask for help? Ottoeke?

I carried Chae Won and walked down the trail where we came from. We might get caught, but I care less now, Chae Won needs help. Suddenly, as if the gods heard my prayers, an ahjussi passed by and accommodated us in his hanok. We settled Chae Won on the bed and the healer then checked her pulse.

“I suppose she’s your wife” he said while his eyes are focused on Chae Won. I was caught off guard with his question. I cleared my throat before answering, “Ye-yes, she’s my wife. How is she?” It took the healer a few more moments before he speaks.

“Let her take ample rest and feed her well, it will keep her and the baby safe.”

I was puzzled upon hearing this. Baby? Does it mean?

“Chae Won – She – my wife is pregnant?” I stuttered.

“You are not aware of your wife’s condition?” he turned to me with an accusing gaze.

“No, both of us are not aware of it.”

“Well now that you know, take extra good care of your wife and your child. By the way, what is your name? Where are you from? Why were you at the river side earlier?”

It took a while for me to answer for I didn’t know myself what I should tell him.

“My name is Joong Ki. My wife,  Chae Won, and I are from a small village in Hanbat. We are exploring the kingdoms in the hope of finding a better future.” Hanbat is where Chae Won and I were raised. I believe that this is a safe answer for now. He seemed convince at my answer, or he perhaps just wanted to dismiss the matter.

“Well you would need to settle down for good since there is a little one on the way. You may call me Min Hyuk, I’m the village’s healer.” He fixed his things and stood.

“Yes, it seems so. Thank you very much for helping us despite the fact that we do not know each other. I could not express how grateful I am.” I bowed to him.

“Well, I would need a helping hand for my herb farm for this season. You mentioned that you are looking for a place to stay. Besides I’ve encountered so many people in my old age, and you do not seem to be a distrustful man. You can use one room in this house since I’m living alone.” He offered.

I was so touched at his generosity that I fell on my knees to thank him. “Thank you, thank you very much ahjussi.  I would forever be grateful at your kind deeds for me and my wife.”

He patted my shoulder, “No need to thank me, you would be working for me anyway. Now go and attend to your pregnant wife while I go and get some herbs for her.”

And so I kneeled beside Chae Won and carefully her hair with one hand while placed the other gently over where our child should be. I will protect our little family with everything that I am, even if it costs me my life.

---

As months went by I witnessed how our child grew in Chae Won’s womb. It was one if not the most amazing things I’ve seen in my entire life. We stayed in the village under the shelter of Min Hyuk-ssi, whom we now consider as our father. The people in the village warmly welcomed us and treated us well. They would pass by our house everyday to bring something for Chae Won and the baby.

Chae Won, on the other hand, handled light household tasks such as cooking and weaving with the other mothers in the village. The joy of an expectant mother is glowing from her face, and I can’t help but feel joyful as well. At times I can see her play with the village kids and I can already see how great of a mother she would be.

I still keep a watchful eye in our surroundings in the worry that anytime the king’s soldiers will find us. I heard from the merchants that Jusang Sang Wook was very furious of the escape and he sent soldiers to check each village in the kingdom. I am grateful though that this village is no longer within the scope of his power. Nevertheless, I should still be vigilant, for Chae Won and our child.

We might have been too preoccupied with Chae Won’s pregnancy  ̶  with the baby due in three months - that we forgot one important thing  ̶  and that is to formalize our marriage. And so, one spring night I took Chae Won near the river and asked her to sit down on one log. The night was so calm and serene, the sounds of the crickets accompanied the light hushes of the wind. I have already set the bon fire, some bread and tea prior to her arrival.

“What’s the meaning of this, Joong Ki? Anything special for tonight?” she curiously asked as I assisted her to sit on the log. I shrugged my shoulder and smiled at her. I took the tea cups and poured some tea for her. I took my seat beside her and we silently sipped our tea.

“Chae Won, I believe we forgot something.” I managed to speak.

“Forgot what?”

“For these past months we’ve been treating each other like husband and wife. The village people also consider us as one. I just thought that we really have not formalized our marriage.” I then took her hands into mine and looked into her eyes.

“Moon Chae Won, will you take me as your real husband?”

Undeniably she was surprised by my question. She remained silent for a while, and when I was about to retract my words she suddenly beamed a sweet smile.

“Why shouldn’t I Song Joong Ki? We’re almost practically married, not to mention that you are the father of my child. Of course I will be your wife and the mother of your future children” She led my hands to rest on her bulging middle.

“Right, there’s no way you can escape me now Chae Won-ah” we let out a giggle.

“From the moment that I saw you under that oak tree I knew that you were special. And I couldn’t be more grateful because after all the years and after all the trials you are still with me. I vow to spend all the days of my life, protecting, nurturing and loving you and our future children.” I could see tears falling from Chae Won’s eyes and I also realized that I was shedding some tears as well.

“You have been my companion, my friend, and my family ever since that day under the oak tree. And now I am formally taking you as my husband, my lover and companion until the day we die. I vow to spend all the days of my life, protecting, nurturing and loving you and our future children.”

We may not have a formal wedding using the traditions set out by our ancestors, but the vow sealed by our love was more than enough for us.

I captured her lips in a loving kiss. Her hands made its way to my chest up to my shoulders and finally encircled her arms around my neck. Our kiss was long, sweet and eventually heated with passion. I placed my hands on her sides, gently caressing her round belly and slowly up until I could feel her tender mounds. Our actions elicited the familiar sounds of pleasure from each other. We drew to each other closer and closer as if not wanting to part.

Realizing where we were, I reluctantly broke our kiss and rested my forehead on hers. “Sorry Chae Won, but we need to stop. The place is inappropriate and it is too cold here.” I said while trying to catch my breath.

“Why is it always you who need to interrupt the moment? Don’t you find me attractive anymore?” She pouted at me. My wife still acts like a child at times, but that’s one of the reasons why I love her dearly.

“May I just remind that you are the most beautiful woman I’ve ever laid my eyes on, that’s why I chose you to be my wife.” I winked at her, receiving a hit on the arm in return. I then wrapped my arm around her shoulder, “Come on wife, it’s getting cold here. Let’s settle ourselves in our warm bed wrapped in each other’s arms”.

I will forever treasure the memories of this night.

---

Chae Won

With each passing day I grow more elated to finally meet my child. I could feel him or her move around, it was uncomfortable but it was the proof that there is a life inside me. I speak to my child often, telling stories about my childhood with Joong Ki.

My bond with my husband became stronger after our secret wedding. We savour every single moment that we are together. We would hold hands whenever and wherever possible. Joong Ki loves to place his hand over our baby, especially now that he or she is moving around so much. Joong Ki also loves to steal kisses from me, and this display of affection is spread throughout the village thus gaining teases from our neighbors that we can have ten kids in no time.

Every day chores have been quite preoccupied but not burdensome. Joong Ki helps Min Hyuk-ssi with farming while I do the house chores. Of course, they would not allow me to do heavy tasks. I also enjoy my time with the mothers and their children when I help them weave foot wear, baskets and bags.

I wished that our lives will continue to be peaceful for the rest of our lives, far from the shadows of our past in the palace. But I guess luck was not always on our side; one morning I was outside our hanok gathering our laundry, Joong Ki came to help me and gave my protruding belly a kiss. Everything seemed to be perfect that morning, little did we know that a passing palace soldier saw us and recognized me as the missing Suk Yong Chae Won.  

-----

Mini Glossary:

Hanok - traditional houses in Korea

Hanbat - the ancient name of Daejon

___

Please let me know what you think! :D