The Plan

Hidden

 

The king has finally arrived” I muttered to myself. Dreading this day I looked at Chae Won who has the same stunned expression. We know that the little time that we had has already come to an end.

There will be a celebration this evening for the king’s return, and he has specially requested your presence tonight, Suk Yong Chae Won.” Jin Kyung said. Chae Won only managed to bow in response.

Jeul Ki, please prepare her for tonight’s event” and finally Jin Kyung left us. We were silent for what seemed like years, until Chae Won faced me with impending tears in her eyes.

Ottoeoke?” she worriedly uttered, and I immediately gathered her in an embrace absentmindedly thinking if anyone would see us. Neither of us said a word, but we knew exactly what the other felt – fear. I distanced myself from her and looked intently into her now tear-stricken eyes.

Tonight. We will elope tonight” I told her.

But how? Did not you hear what Jin Kyung said? The king is requesting for me. They will surely look for me first.” Chae Won has a point. I honestly still do not how to pursue the plan, but I have to elope with her at all costs.

I will make a way. For now stay in your room until I return, understand?” Chae Won nodded and embraced me once more before retreating to her room. “Be careful, my love” was her parting words.

I made my way to the hallway in deep thought of how to carry out our escape until I heard a faint voice.

I saw you” to my horror it was Hyo Joo, I was about to answer her when she said, “I saw you with Suk Yong Chae Won, in the woods and earlier outside her room. Tell me the truth Jeul Ki, how long are you planning on betraying the kind like this?” her eyes were piercing through my very being.

Brought by instincts I dragged her into on corner and covered with my hand. “Hyo Joo-sshi, it’s not like what you are thinking. We are not betraying the king, Chae Won and I, we have been together even before coming here in the palace. Hyo Joo-sshi, please do not tell this to anyone.” I pleaded her and kept myself from breaking into tears. She managed to release herself from my grip.

Now isn’t it easier to speak in your real tone huh? You easily fooled us from being a woman, now, how I will trust you in this situation?” she said in an accusing tone.

I only did all of these for Chae Won. Haven’t you loved someone that you will do everything for that person?” Hyo Joo was taken aback with my question. Gungnyeos are not allowed to fall in love more so enter into a romantic relationship because they are raised and trained to be servants in the palace. I took her reaction to my advantage.

So I believe your silence means a ‘yes’. Is it anyone here in the palace? A seongsangnim, a solider, or perhaps the king?” she gasped upon hearing my latter statement.

I smirked, “By sending your reaction, you are in love with the king.”

And what is it to you if I am?” she battled back.

Is that why you want to confront me? You are jealous of Chae Won because she has the king’s favor, while you have been serving him all your life?” She might have felt insulted by my words as I felt her cringe with every word that I said.

I’m very sorry Hyo Joo-sshi, I did not mean to offend you. It’s just that I’m desperate. I was a fool not to have taken the chance to escape with Chae Won, but I do not know if it is too late now.”

What do I get in return?” she blatantly said. My brows furrows in confusion.

I mean, what do I get if I help you and your lover elope from the palace?” She gave me a grin.

---

Chae Won

It has been quite a while since Joong Ki left me in my room. I cannot seem to manage my uneasiness. I fidgeted on my hanbok. Numerous possibilities were running in my head – what is we fail to escape again? The king will ensure that he gets what he wants from me tonight, and the thought disturbs me. I cannot be with a man other than Joong Ki, I just cannot. Or if we will be able to escape, where will we go and how will we escape from the pawning eyes of the people? I am sure the king will order his soldiers to look for me. My thoughts were disrupted when the door opened ajar revealing Joong Ki’s figure. I immediately stood up from my spot and approached him.

Joong Ki-sshi, what happened?” I worryingly asked seeing his stern expression.

I already have a plan, but this one is very risky and you have to listen to me carefully.” I paid close attention as he went about his plan. I was scared but I know that we have to do this carefully, otherwise it will be the end of us both.

Evening came and the palace center was adorned with colorful lanterns and joyful music was played. The seongsangnims were seated in one row facing the platform where the king and his family are. While the hugungs were seated on each end of the area. I was seated at the far end of the hugungs row. I tried to distract myself by setting my eyes on the performance but I could still feel the stare coming from the king.

Before the festivity ended Jin Kyung called my attention as I about to be presented to the kind. Similar to the previous night she clothed me in a special sok ot and Joong Ki fixed my hair. Braided it nicely and adorned it with small flowers. Our actions were minimal, but for me we already have an understanding of what will happen next. I just hope that everything will go as planned.

I was brought to the same room where I met the kind, and to my delight he was not yet there.

Remember what I told you. You are brave and wise Chae Won, you can do this. I love you very much.” Joong Ki whispered as soon as Jin Kyung left us. He kissed my forehead before leaving me alone in the room. I sat on the edge of the bed anticipating for the king’s arrival. I could feel my heart thump fast but I tried to remain calm, or at least look like one.

Finally after a few moments the door slid open and the king entered the room. He was already wearing his sok ot, looking ready for whatever he was planning to do tonight.

Congratulations on your victory and for your safe return in the palace, Jusang Sang Wook.”

Thank you Chae Won, and as a welcome present I believe we have left some unfinished business” he reminded me with a smirk on his face, it seemed to me like he was a predator about to devour his prey. I gulped at the sight, but before he was able to touch me I muttered, “Jusang, sorry for keeping you waiting, but, can we keep the lights off?” I flashed him my innocent smile.

I mean, would it be better if we keep the lights off?” He seemed surprised at my request, but gladly he obliged. I blew off the candles in the room and requested him to lie on the bed.

I do not know what you are planning Chae Won, but I am looking forward to it.” He said with ahint of excitement in his tone.

I will ensure that you will be very much pleased Jusang Sang Wook.” I tried to answer him in a seductive manner.

---

Joong Ki

I was restless as I waited for Chae Won. The kind has already entered the room moments ago, and she should have already carried out the plan since I noticed that the lights went off. To my relief Chae Won emerged from the room a little while later and took my hand.

Kaja!” Chae Won whispered in an urgent tone. I made her wear a jangot in order to cover her figure from others. The next thing we knew, we were already running to the palace garden.

We finally found a small gate where two soldiers were stationed. I threw a stone on the other side of the garden to distract them before we sneaked through the gate. We carefully passed our way to the town, hiding from one corner to another until we found an empty cabin where could possibly change our wardrobes.

I things go as planned, the kind would not notice your absence until before sunrise.” I said as I handed her an layman’s hanbok.

We should forever be grateful to Hyo Joo-sshi” Chae Won remarked. Indeed, Hyo Joo did a very risky thing in order to help us escape the palace. Although I know part of the plan was for her benefit. I recalled my previous encounter with her.

What do you have in mind?” I asked Hyo Joo.

It is simple, I will take Chae Won’t place on the king’s bed.” She confidently said, this woman was fiercer than I thought.

And how do you plan to do that?” I skeptically asked.

The king must first get the bait of seeing Chae Won on the bed. Before he makes a move on her, she must request to take the lights off. That is when I will come into the picture. You will elope with Chae Won while I will please the king.”

But what if he noticed that you are not Chae Won?”

I will do my best not to get caught. I will leave the room once the king is asleep and the sunrise. By that time you should have already fled far from the palace. So, what do you think?” Desperate in leaving the palace I agreed to her offer, trusting that things will go well.

---

Chae Won

We should be able to leave the kingdom before sunrise. I could carry you on my back.” Joong Ki offered seeing the tiredness on my face. But I refused him and insisted that I can still walk. We have been through a lot today and I do not want to further burden him.

We have been walking for hours and I believe we have already gone far from the town proper. Streaks of light started to illuminate the sky indicating that it Is already sunrise and any moment the king will notice my absence in the palace.

We reached a river side where we decided to rest for a while.

I know you are thirsty Chae Won, let me get you a drink.” Joong Ki took a bottle from his bag and went to the river. My sight was fixed on him feeling grateful that we are still together after everything. Then suddenly my vision started to blue and everything turned into black. The last thing I remembered was Joong Ki worryingly calling out my name over and over again.

***

Mini Glossary:

Sok-ot  (속옷) - undergarments

Usang jeonha (주상 전하). The term is used to address the current king. Jusang (주상) is the title used for the current king or sovereign, with the style ‘His Majesty’ or jeonha (전하).

hugung (후궁, 後) - concubine

Gungnyeo - maid

(seon-saeng-nim)(선생님) - teacher

Jangot (장옷) is a clothing used by women as veil to cover their faces. It is almost the same as jeogori and durumagi, but it is longer and it has collar. It is worn over the head, covering the head, body, and face.

(credits to The Talking Cupboard)

*****

Anyeong dear readers!

Once again my apologies for the slow updates. Our place just experienced a strong typhoon so things have been quite difficult. But during our no-work holidays I took the opportunity to write this chapter. 

I made a major revision in the plot in the hope oe of sparing you from a major heart break (shout out to my partner in crime mlenil for threatening me, kidding! Thanks for convincing me to change it partner haha)

Anyway I hope I was still able to sustain your interest in the story :) As always, please let me know what you think! :)