A Promise

Hidden

It was a fine spring day in the Joseon dynasty.  

I leaned under the oak tree, the place which served as my sanctuary for the past years.  Gazing up to the sky, I dreamt about flying and touching the clouds. Under this tree, I can dream just about anything, I can be whoever I want to be with no one interfering me.

I savoured the peaceful atmosphere as I felt the sun kiss my pale skin. I deeply inhaled the fresh cool air that reminded me of the newly blossomed flowers. I was slowly drifting off to my afternoon nap when I heard my horse neigh.

“Thank you for reminding me that I have to go home” I sarcastically said to him.

We were strolling the dust-filled road towards our village, when I heard a smile cry somewhere behind another oak tree.  Curious as I was, I jumped off from my horse and slowly neared the tree. I carefully picked up a fig just in case the crying creature behind the tree decides to attack me.

With each step, I can hear the cry louder, and when I was already inches behind the tree, I caught a glimpse of brown fabric. Leaning closer, the figure of a small girl was revealed to me. As if sensing my presence, she stopped crying and turned her head to my side.  Her pained eyes locked with mine, and I suddenly felt my face flush at her sight.

“Oh, my apologies, I didn’t mean to interrupt” embarrassment flooded me, but she kept on staring at me without uttering a word.

“I-, I just heard you while I was on my way home. I better go, sorry.” But when I was about to leave, I hear her soft voice.

“I’m scared to be alone. Can you stay with me?”

I stopped on my tracks and turned to her once more.

“Are you sure? But I’m a stranger to you.” My expression in agape. Her lips turned into a small smile.

“Then let’s be friends. I’m Moon Chae Won, and you are?”

“Joong Ki, I’m Song Joong Ki” I answered with a smile.

That one fine spring day I gained a friend, for the first time in my life.

----

“Oppa! Hurry up!” I hear her beautiful voice calling out to me meters away. I gaze at her direction, and I all I can feel was gratitude and contentment. It has been ten years since our first meeting under the oak tree, and our friendship has blossomed into something deeper, that is, on my side.

It was not a surprise when I realized that my feelings for Chae Won were no longer like that of a friend or a brother. She was the sun that brightened my life, the flower that made things beautiful in my sight, the breeze that calmed me in the storm. Indeed, she was the best thing that happened to me.

I do not know if she feels the same way, I do not even have the courage to ask her. I’m afraid that she might reject me, and walk away from my life. I just cannot bear the thought of losing her. Hence, I just have to settle with what we have.

I did not realize that I was in deep thought until Chae Won called my name, now in an annoyed tone.

“Do I really have to call you more than once before you appear?” She pouted and glared at me. I chuckled and patted her head, “Is that the way to speak to your oppa? May I just remind you that I am still a year older.” She just scoffed, not admitting defeat. This is very like Chae Won, the strong yet sweet girl that would brace anything just to have what she wants.

“Give me your hand” she ordered. I furrowed at her sudden demand. She still can be unpredictable even after ten years of friendship.

“Song Joong Ki oppa, I said give me your hand” she was getting more annoyed by the minute. Without hesitance I extended my right hand to her.

She then took something from the sleeve of her jeogori. Chae Won placed it on my hand and folded it before taking large steps away from me. In my confusion, I looked at my closed fist and slowly opened it. To my surprise it was her favorite butterfly-shaped norigae.  I lifted my eyes to find her but she already made quite a distance from me.

She was facing the oak tree when I approached her. “Do you still remember oppa? This is where you found me.”

“Of course, it was the day when I found a crying girl who cannot stand being alone.” I answered feeling nostalgic about that beautiful day.

“I’m glad you found me”

“Likewise” I answered. She turned to face me, and that’s when I saw her flushed face.

“Promise me that you will never leave me” She said with her pleading eyes.

“That’s already a given Chae Won-sshi. But why did you give me your favorite norigae?

“Because I want you to keep something that I cherish, because – “ she paused and bowed her head

“because it’s like you” I barely heard her statement

“Like me? How did I become like a norigae?”

“Because I cherish you oppa, because I like you” she lifted her eyes to meet mine. I cannot believe my ears, more so my eyes. I can see pure love on her beautiful almond shaped eyes. Moon Chae Won, my friend of ten full years just confessed her love to me. And when I just decided to keep my feelings in secret, she then boldly revealed her feelings for me.

“Me too, I like you Chae Won-sshi” I felt my heart swell in joy and my cheeks ache from the wide smile that I wore.

And on that beautiful day under the old oak tree, we became a couple.

----

Months after that beautiful day, we lay against the same oak tree, relishing the beautiful view before us.

“Oppa, have you ever wondered how clouds were formed?” Chae Won asked me while her head was resting on my shoulder.

“No, but I dreamt of touching them.” I simply answered.

“Isn’t it your dream until now?” she lifted her face to look at me in the eyes.

“I must have forgotten about it when a beautiful lady named Moon Chae Won confessed her feelings for me” I teasingly said. She lightly chuckled and then pinched my nose.

“Why are you so good with words? I almost believed that I’m indeed beautiful!”

“Why don’t you just believe at what I am saying?”

“Alright, I believe you. It’s just that you’re the only one who said it to me.”

“And I won’t get tired of saying it to you every day” we exchanged our loving smiles, but this time I decided to surprise her. My hands found its way on both of her cheeks. I gently caressed her delicate skin with my thumb, and slowly leaned in until our faces were inches apart. I can feel my heart throb a million times faster as I went closer. I only ignored it when our lips finally met. We were both foreign to this new feeling, but I must say that it was pleasantly good.

Together we savoured this new development in our relationship, until we heard a strange noise coming from the road.

“Stay here” I ordered and slowly peeked through the tree. My eyes widened in shock to see a flock of armoured men in horses. They were going to the direction of our village, and it was then when I realized that those men were not allies, but soldiers from the nearby kingdom.

“Oppa, what was it?” she worriedly asked.

“Chae Won-sshi, just remain quiet and hold my hand” I firmly said to her. She nodded and tightened her grip.

We slowly paved our way to the village, and to our shock, the soldiers were destroying everything that came their way.  Houses were burned, men were killed, children and women were captured. I decided to retreat to the meadow with Chae Won when I heard someone call our attention. I ignored it and dragged Chae Won with me. We began to walk fast until we decided to run. The voice became more demanding and furious until I hear a sudden shriek. I unconsciously turned to where it came from, and to my horror one of the soldiers got hold of Chae Won’s other hand.

The next thing I knew, another soldier already enlaced me with a rope and Chae Won was being dragged away from me. I reached out for her, but she was far, too far. She cried out my name, and all I can do was to call out for hers. They took Chae Won, my beloved Chae Won.

I shut my eyes open. I can feel cold sweat drenching my face, my heart throbbing fast. I rose from my lying position and covered my face with my shaking hands. It was another nightmare, but I perfectly knew that it was true. They captured my love, and I cannot bear thinking of what they might have done to her. I promised that I will never leave her. I know that she is waiting for me out there. I cannot just stand back and end my life. I will do every possible mean to have her back. I will have my beloved one back, even if it is the last thing I do. 

 

*****

Mini Glossary:

jeogori (저고리):the blouse-like top part of a hanbok

norigae (노리개), a common, pendant-like ornament is tied to the jeogori’s string or waist of the chima to give a luxurious look to the whole outfit.

(credits to The Talking Cupboard)

*****

There goes my first chapter! Glad I was able to live through the first one. Writing this story is quite interesting as I am also learning things about sageuk and Korean history.

I always imagined this story as a movie rather than a drama. So expect things to be a litle faster than my previous story. 

Kindly note that this is only pure fiction and any account similar to historical fact is purely coincidental. 

Kudos to eommoni mktb for my story poster! :D

Let me know what you think! :D