Anything for you

Hidden

It was one ordinary day during autumn. I was under the oak tree that has been my sanctuary ever since that fateful day when I met Joong KI. The oak tree was where we agreed to meet every afternoon after doing our chores. He tilled in his father’s farm, while I assisted my parents in our small textile shop.

Growing up in a merchant family enabled me to acquire different items from neighboring villages, which I gladly share with Joong Ki. He was my best friend, and my first love.

I wrapped my arms around my folded knees as I gazed into the horizon, it has been a long day and I just want to end it with him. I was lost in my thought when I heard soft footsteps nearing me.

 “Chae Won-sshi, is there something wrong?” he asked worriedly as he took a seat beside me.

“You are late” I frowned at him

“My apologies, I had to ask other merchants to buy our harvest since our usual buyer did not want to pay for it.” He calmly explained. I suddenly felt guilty for thinking that he forgot our deal. I studied every feature of his beautiful face, obviously exhausted from the day’s work.

“No, I should be the one to apologize. Of course you had to help your family, and I just thought that you forgot our deal.” Joong Ki’s lips curved into a smile, one that made my heart flutter.

“How could I forget that we have to meet at this time every day? We have been doing this for ten years now.” His eyes now glued into mine.

“I know. I just could not imagine myself being far from you” I felt my face heating after saying those. I was never good with words, but here I was opening myself to him.   

“I feel the same way Chae Won-sshi” and then he enveloped me in a warm embrace.

“Never leave me oppa” I whispered through his ear.

“Never, Chae Won-sshi. I promise” and I felt him kiss my hair.

His assurance was the only thing I could hold on to.

---

But now all I could do was reminisce the times that we were together. I stared back at a wooden wall with no idea of what might happen next. After the abduction, I was brought to an old cabin with a number of women and children from my village.

I feel my stomach lurch out of hunger. Despite this, my thoughts were on my family and Joong Ki oppa’s whereabouts. Where are they now? Did they survive the attack?

“Unnie, I am hungry” Young Hee, a young girl from our village, told me with her pleading eyes. My heart sank seeing her at this state; she used to be a joyful kid who frequented our shop. I caressed her hair and held her near me.

“Patience my dear, everything will be fine soon. Why don’t you just go to sleep?” she nodded, and I placed her head on my lap then hummed a song for her to sleep.

Moments later I heard a commotion from outside, followed by a loud thud on the door. The armoured men, who I supposed were soldiers, entered the cabin and called everyone’s attention. They arranged us in such a way that the adults and children were separated. We were then forced to kneel as they enlaced our wrists with a rope. Afterwards, a man wearing a Po and Heukrip, who seem to come from a noble family, entered the cabin. He swayed his fan as he looked at each woman with his wary eyes.

I saw his feet stop before me, he leaned and titled my chin. He studied my face and smirked.

“This one will pass. She will just need a little grooming. Alright, I will take her” I heard him say.

At that instance, one of the soldiers dragged me to a wooden carriage. I cannot fathom what lies beyond.

Joong Ki oppa, where are you?

---

(Joong Ki’s POV)

It has been days since the attack in our village. Fortunately or unfortunately, I was spared from death. Right after Chae Won’s abduction, one of my village mates was able to drag me from the commotion, at the expense of killing two soldiers along the way.

I once again set my foot on the ground of our village. The once busy road full of horses, children, merchants and residents was now filled with an eerie atmosphere. There were remnants of damaged carriages and burned houses, including mine and Chae Won’s.

The smell of blood was still evident. And when I close my eyes, I can clearly see the images from the attack, houses burning, children and women crying including my Chae Won. Her cries haunted my mind until I feel tears escaping my eyes.

With my baggage I treaded my way to the mountain. If the soldiers who attacked us were from the neighboring kingdom, then Chae Won must be there.

My body was growing weary from walking, but my determination to save Chae Won kept me to go on. I promised that I will never leave her, and I intend to keep that promise.

Darkness started to dominate the sky, and I reluctantly settled myself in the forest. I was starting a fire when I heard a loud horse nigh from the road, and moments after there was a crashing sound. My instincts guided me to check what happened, and that was when I found a carriage in the creek. I glided my way down the creek to see if a person was there. To my surprise, a man and a woman were inside the carriage. I checked their pulses, but unfortunately, the man was already dead.

“Ahjusshi” the woman mumbled

“Ahgasshi, please don’t force yourself. We will search for help. Please hold on.” I was about to carry her when I felt her body limp, and her breath shallow.

“I need to serve the king” and those were her last words.

---

(Chae Won’s POV)

“She’s indeed beautiful, a good choice.” I faintly heard a woman speaking. I slowly opened my eyes to find myself in a beautifully adorned room. The sunlight softly illuminated the room, and I can see the hanboks of different color.

“You’re awake” I heard her say

“Where am I?” I turned my head to see her, a mid-aged woman in a bright blue hanbok, and her hair in keun mori, indicating that she is an elite.

“Well, you are in the palace my dear” She said in a somewhat annoying tone.

“Who are you? What are you going to do with me?”

“I am Jin Kyung, I am the senior chambermaid in the palace. And may I know yours?”

It took me a while to absorb what I heard before I could mutter my name, “Moon Chae Won”.

“Beautiful name, you will indeed pass” she said with a smile.

Before I could ask further, a group of ladies in green hanbok entered the room and arranged a pile of hanboks, unhyes, and ornaments before me. My eyes grew in seeing these items, never could have our family afforded these things.

“Before anything else, clean her first.” Jin Kyung instructed. I wanted to protest, but they have already pulled me to a bathing area stripped me off my garments. A lot of questions were in my mind, but I know that I cannot do anything for now. If only Joong Ki oppa was here.

Afterwards, I was brought back to the room, and the woman selected a hanbok with yellow jeogori and blue chima for me to wear. My hair was braided and groomed with a red ribbon. And finally, a round norigae to adorn my hanbok. My heart ached as I remembered giving my butterfly norigae to Joong Ki oppa on the day when we became a couple.

“Now, you are ready.” Jin Kyung said as she turned me around as if I was her creation.

“What is this for?” I annoyingly asked

“This is all for the king, to please him” her words were like a stab in my heart. What does she mean ‘to please the king’? She must have noticed my shock, hence she patted my arm and warmly smiled.

“Consider yourself fortunate Chae Won-sshi.”

One event led to another, and I found myself walking around the palace with Jin Kyung. She carefully explained the purpose of each area. I could feel the cold stares from the people as if I was infected with a disease.

We stopped before a huge door, and Jin Kyung then turned to face me.

“Always remember what I told you earlier, consider yourself fortunate.” She offered me a smile, but I refused to return the gesture.

The door was finally opened and Jin Kyung led me inside. It was a huge room, and on the other end was an elevated area adorned with linen made out of silk and a golden throne. Seated on that throne was a man in red hanbok, and jeongjagwan. His facial features were well defined, and his eyes were fixed on me.

“Jusang jeonha” Jin Kyung carefully bowed before him, and I reluctantly followed.

“Jin Kyung-sshi, I would want to believe that you have something good for me hence you requested for my precious time” he said in a low commanding voice.

“Yes jusang jeonha, I would like to present to you Moon Chae Won, your new hugung”

I felt my world crumble upon hearing Jin Kyung’s words. I am to be one of the king’s concubines!

“Moon Chae Won-sshi, a beautiful name for a beautiful lady.  I will have to meet you one of these days, but for now, you must be accustomed to the palace.”

My mind was still in haze when I felt a nudge from Jin Kyung.

“Yes, jusang jeonha.” I struggled to speak.

“And call me, Jusang Sang Wook”

---

No wonder I received odd stares from the palace people. I am the new concubine and they despite me for that. My hopes of reuniting with Joong Ki oppa is now far from reach, and I can feel my heart breaking into a thousand pieces because of it.

Jin Kyung and I returned to the room which she said will be mine from thereon. It was nowhere comparable with my old room in the village, but the warmth it had because of my family made it much more pleasant to stay in.

“Chae Won, you are the sixth hugong of jusang jeonha, therefore, you will be called Suk Yong Chae Won.” I only nodded in response.

“Aside from having all these luxurious things, you will also be assisted by your own gungnyeo.”

Then the door opened, and when I turned my head, I felt my heart flutter at the sight before me.

The person was wearing a green hanbok, a red ribbon on the braided hair and held a very familiar smile.

 “I am pleased to meet you Suk Yong Chae Won, I am Song Jeul Ki your gungnyeo. I hope we can go along together”

I blinked several times to make sure that I was seeing correctly. The person before me wearing a woman’s hanbok is no other than my Song Joong Ki.

----

Mini Glossary:

Po (포). A type of overcoat worn over the hanbok. It is worn by scholars as their daily garment and government officers when they’re out for private business.

Heukrip (흑립) a black hat worn by upper class men

Keun Meori (큰머리): a hairstyle that can only be seen worn by people of the palace.

Unhye (운혜), shoes worn by women made from silk and decorated with colorful silk in shapes of clouds

jeogori (저고리):the blouse-like top part of the hanbok, and chima (치마)the skirt-like bottom part of the hanbok.

Norigae (노리개), a common, pendant-like ornament is tied to the jeogori’s string or waist of the chima to give a luxurious look to the whole outfit.

Jeongjagwan, another type of headdress. It is usually worn indoor and consists of several layers, whether double or triple and has pointed ends. 

Usang jeonha (주상 전하). The term is used to address the current king. Jusang (주상) is the title used for the current king or sovereign, with the style ‘His Majesty’ or jeonha (전하).

Concubine - hugung (후궁, 後), 

Gungnyeo - maid

(Credits to The Talking Cupboard)

----

Hello my dear readers! My sincere apology for updating late, I was really busy with things in RL. Hope this chapter will increase your interest in my story! As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts! :D