RicSyung : I have a lover

Friends, Crush, and Anything Nice

 

One nice winter day, Hyesung was sitting alone at a cafe, enjoying his cup of coffee. All the time, he was looking outside the glass window, observing people walking in the snow.

"Hyesung hyung. Sorry I'm late." Junjin greeted as he took a seat in front of Hyesung. The waiter came and took his order.

"Is everything okay?" Hyesung asked while Junjin sipping on his own coffee which had just arrived.

"Yeah. Andy only needed me to help him with the furniture."

"Glad he finally has his own place now." Hyesung smiled at his friend.

"And we don't need to disturb his housemates anymore." Junjin laughed. "So, how are you and Eric?" Junjin asked, eyeing Hyesung.

"We're just fine." Hyesung looked back outside the window.

"I heard he got himself a girlfriend." Hyesung felt a sting in his heart.

"Yeah. It has been a few weeks now. He even said he would introduce her to me someday." Hyesung continued sipping his hot coffee.

"Are you okay with this?" Junjin asked, slightly worried. But Hyesung just smiled.

 

It was the weekend, and Andy invited his friends over for a little housewarming party. Being the closest to Andy, Hyesung came earlier to help preparing food for the guests.

"Eric hyung said he would come." Andy suddenly spoke.

"Great." Hyesung replied short, not wanting to continue talking about it.

"But he won't bring his girlfriend." Andy the brilliant maknae added. Hyesung just sighed.

Later, Junjin came, followed by Minwoo and Dongwan. They each brought snacks and drinks, for Andy had decided to cook the main food. With Hyesung's help, of course.

"Is Eric coming?" Minwoo the ever so loud asked. And Andy nodded.

"It is late already. And I'm starving." Junjin responded. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Andy ran to open the door.

"Guys! Sorry I'm late." Eric shouted as he walked in, bringing a cake with him.

"Hurry. We're starving." Minwoo spoke, while eyeing Eric who immediately took a seat beside Hyesung. The latter flinched.

"So what are we waiting for?" Eric asked when four pairs of eyes were looking at him.

"Light the candle first." Dongwan ordered, earning a chuckle from Eric. All this while, Hyesung just kept quiet, not wanting to attract Eric's attention. But who was he fooling anyway.

"Hyesung, help me with this." Eric handed him the candles while he himself set up the cake. The four people were still staring at them. "Done." Eric smiled and brought the cake to the middle. The party started with Andy's short speech, which followed by his brothers' cheeky remarks about the new house. "Hyesung, you're up." Eric's voice brought Hyesung back to reality.

"Uh congrats Andy, for finally getting your own place. I would definitely come here often." The other five clapped their hands after Hyesung's speech, for it was finally time to eat.

 

Hyesung was trying hard to control himself from drinking too much, which he succeeded. He was sitting on the sofa, watching television, when the drunken Dongwan came to him, asking for a kiss. He carefully pushed him away, but Dongwan didn't budge.

"Hey. Stay away from my Hyesungie." Eric suddenly shouted and pulled Dongwan away from the sofa. Hyesung just shrugged, and back to watching television, when this time the slightly drunk Eric came to him.

"What? You want a kiss too?" Hyesung bravely asked, for he knew Eric was not really drunk. To his surprise, Eric nodded while grinning. "Crazy." Hyesung pushed him away too.

"Please..." Eric pleaded, blinking his puppy eyes which Hyesung had missed so much.

"No. You're drunk." Hyesung complimented himself for being able to resist those adorable eyes.

"If I'm sober, would you then?" Eric's sudden question earned a glare from Hyesung.

"No, definitely not. Never." Hyesung got up from the sofa to walk away, but Eric grabbed his wrist.

"You used to kiss me a lot before, be it when you drunk or sober. So why is now any different?" Eric asked; his grip on the wrist tightened as he started to pull Hyesung close to him.

"I have a lover now." Eric's eyes widened upon Hyesung's reply. He was not that drunk, so he heard it perfectly. He looked at Hyesung who was looking everywhere but him.

"Really? Since when? Why I don't know about it?" The grip on Hyesung's wrist loosened, so he quickly freed himself.

"You never care to ask." Hyesung replied, and left the housewarming party that had turned cold.

 

Since the party, Hyesung kept himself busy with his job as a vocal teacher. He only left the school when the day turned to night. One day, he got a text message from Eric.

Are you free today? I want to treat you to dinner.

Hyesung wanted to have dinner with Eric. But thinking that Eric might be introducing his girlfriend, his heart hurt. Then Eric sent another text message.

Just the two of us. :)

Hyesung felt relieved. He asked Eric for the place and time, and promised to meet him there.

"Hyesung, you came." Eric greeted when he saw Hyesung took a seat in front of him.

"I am hungry." Hyesung smiled at Eric, for he had missed that person a little more than usual.

"I know. That is why I told you to come here, your favorite restaurant." Hyesung felt touched. He would never get tired hearing Eric's sugar-like words. But something was bothering Eric's mind, for his smiling face had turned sour.

"Is something wrong?" Hyesung couldn't help but asked. His eyes fixed on the man in front of him.

"Nothing is wrong. Why would you ask me that?" Eric now was looking at Hyesung, his smiling face was back. Hyesung was confused.

"You seem to be thinking about something. Should I know about it?" Hyesung carefully asked. Eric put down his utensils and looked fondly at Hyesung.

"Tell me about your lover." Hyesung choked on his food. He reached his hand for his drink, which Eric gladly responded. While drinking, Hyesung peeked over at Eric, and saw his friend was still waiting for his answer. He took a deep breath.

"Why do you want to know?" Hyesung asked, trying to avoid answering.

"I should know who my best friend is dating." Eric flashed a smile, and Hyesung knew Eric would not let go of this topic, not tonight.

"What do you want to know?" Hyesung asked, looking down at his food.

"Who is she, where she works at, when you guys met; things like that." Hyesung gulped. How could he tell Eric all that? "That is if you don't mind telling me."

"First of all, it's a he, not she." Hyesung looked at Eric, and saw his change of expression. Hyesung felt his heart broke when Eric seemed displeased over what he had just heard.

"Go on." Eric muttered. Hyesung knew Eric was now faking his smile.

"We met a few years back. We started off as friends. After a while, I fell in love with him." Hyesung explained, and Eric just nodded while chewing on his food. 

"If you've known him for a few years, that means I know him too, right?" Hyesung's eyes widened. What excuse should he use now?

"You don't know all of my friends." Hyesung flashed a fake smile, while his heart was beating rapidly.

"Make sense. So tell me more about him. Is he working at your school?" All of a sudden, Eric seemed interested. Hyesung tried to work his mind, to come up with strong but reasonable traits of his so-called lover.

"Nope, he owns a music company." Hyesung cursed himself for spitting that kind of words.

"Really? What is his name? Who knows, he might be one of my business partners." Eric's face looked happy, while Hyesung felt sad.

"I should not tell you then." Hyesung sipped his drink, ignoring Eric who was batting his eyelashes. "And I certainly don't want you to go around asking people if they know me or have any relationship with me." Eric laughed seeing Hyesung’s serious face.

"Ahh I was just thinking of doing that." Eric wiped the few tears in his eyes. "When would you introduce him to us then?" Once again, Hyesung choked. Eric got up from his seat and patted his back.

"Someday." Hyesung spoke the moment he recovered. Eric returned to his seat and continued eating.

"I'll be looking forward to it then." Eric said, making Hyesung all fidgety in his seat.

 

A few weeks had passed. Hyesung was at Andy's house, with Junjin. The two of them wanted to learn cooking from the younger one, which Andy gladly agreed.

"Hyung, I heard you have a lover now." Andy suddenly spoke, killing the somewhat happy atmosphere.

"Really hyung?" Junjin seemed shocked.

"Who told you that?" Hyesung asked; he himself was surprised.

"Eric hyung. Why does he know but we don't?" Andy looked sad. Junjin turned to him, and patted his shoulder. Hyesung just smiled.

"I was planning to tell you guys, but I accidentally told him first during your party. When he asked me again, I just told him the truth." The other two did not seem to accept his excuse. "What else did Eric tell you?"

"He said you have known him for a few years. Is it true?" Andy earned a nod from Hyesung.

"Wow hyung. I had never imagined you would keep this a secret. And for years." Junjin pouted. Hyesung felt worried for lying to his precious brothers. But he had to finish what he started.

"Sorry guys." He patted both backs, while trying to calm himself.

 

Hyesung was relaxing in his house on Saturday night, when suddenly someone rang his doorbell.

"What are you doing here?" He asked when he saw Eric outside his house.

"I just wanted to hang out with you. I brought beers." Eric flashed a smile as he let himself in. They both settled on the sofa, watching television while drinking beer. Hyesung reminded himself not to drink too much, because he would not want to be drunk with Eric around.

"Why did you come here?" Hyesung finally asked when Eric seemed slightly drunk.

"I missed you..." Eric replied, leaning closer to Hyesung.

"Why?" Hyesung calmly asked, while Eric was already hugging him.

"Because you are my best friend in the whole world." Eric replied, smiling.

"Is that the only reason?" Hyesung fixed his eyes on Eric, and the latter nodded. Hyesung let out a sigh.

"Hyesungie, tell me about your lover." Hyesung was shocked. How could Eric remember about it in his drunken state? "I want to know who is the person who has taken away my precious Hyesungie's heart." Hyesung's heart felt weird. He did not know whether it was happy, or it was sad.

"He is a good guy. He always treats me nice. He takes me to shopping, amusement parks, and good restaurants. He knows all my favorites. Being a busy person, he would find some free time to spend with me."

"He sounds like a nice person. Tell me how he looks like." Eric asked again.

"He is taller than me. His skin is a little darker, which makes him stand out among the crowd. He is handsome. If you look once, you would think he is a foreigner. But he is a true Korean. When he smiles, it is like the sun shining bright at me. His body is fit; whatever he wears makes him looks like a model on a runway."

"He is like someone I know. Are you sure we never met him?"

"I am positive." Hyesung replied; his hand was unconsciously playing with Eric's hair.

"Okay. Tell me more." Eric spoke as he snuggled closer to Hyesung.

"We met during an audition years ago. We started become friends since then. And I do not know since when did my feelings start to change."

"Does he feel the same way?" Eric asked, making Hyesung flinched.

"Of course. If not, we would not be together now." Eric smiled hearing Hyesung.

"I'm starting to feel jealous. I hope I get to see him soon." Eric muttered, with his eyes closed. Seeing Eric had fallen asleep, Hyesung ruffled his hair one last time.

"You see him every day, every time you look into the mirror, for the last 35 years." Hyesung softly said, so Eric would not hear him. He then got up and took a blanket to cover Eric who was sleeping peacefully on the sofa.

 

A month later, Hyesung's school was holding a performance night, where it would showcase its students' talents. Hyesung too would perform, that was why he invited his best friends.

"Hey. Are you nervous?" Dongwan asked Hyesung, the latter just nodded. "Good. Then you'll do well. I always felt nervous every time before my musical starts. And you saw how well I did right?" Dongwan flashed a really wide grin, even his eye wrinkles doubled.

"Hyung, all the best!" Andy patted Hyesung's shoulder, trying to calm him down.

"I'm going to record, so don't forget to look at us later." The genius Junjin showed them his newly bought camera. Hyesung just smiled, but his eyes were wandering around the hall.

"Eric will be a bit late. He went to see his girlfriend." Minwoo explained, for he seemed to know who Hyesung was looking for.

"Is your lover here yet? I want to meet him." Dongwan suddenly spoke, earning nods from the other three.

"He said he would be late." Hyesung smiled at his friends. "Okay guys. I need to go now." He said, as he turned to walk to the waiting room. His friends quickly went to their reserved seats.

Hyesung's turn would be during the second half of the show; that made him less worried for Eric to make it there. Hyesung was putting on his suit when suddenly a staff came into his room.

"Delivery for you, Teacher Shin." The staff smiled as he handed a bouquet of red roses. Hyesung's heart skipped a beat when he saw familiar handwriting on the card.

I'm here as promised. All the best Hyesungie! :)

Hyesung smiled as he smelled the flowers. He then put them on the table, and started practicing for the last time.

After an hour, it was finally Hyesung's turn. As the speaker announced his name, he heard his friends' distinct cheers and whistles among the applause. He chuckled, and carefully walked up the stage. He looked at the crowd, and smiled when he saw his friends waving at him. Then, he saw Eric, who was holding both his thumbs up while smiling handsomely. Hyesung nodded and turned to his microphone. He took a deep breath, and gave a signal to the pianist next to him. The crowd settled down the moment the music started playing.

You asked me, "are you still alone?", and I just laughed
I am loving someone, I have someone to love
You seem to worry about me
Telling me there is someone that you would like me to see
Do you know that I also have a great lover?
Someone that I cherish so much, that I had to hide
That someone, only I can see him
He is only visible to my eyes
I will keep him locked in my lips forever
Only the tears that fill my eyes know
That person is you
I don't want to have him, I don't want to be greedy
I just want to love him
Can you see? I am not alone
So don't worry about me so much
I'll introduce him to you someday
Can you hear what the tears that filled up my eyes say?
That person is you

Hyesung's tears were flowing down his cheeks. He felt heartbroken. It was a song that he treasured so much. When he heard applause, he wiped his tears and bowed to the crowd. He then slowly walked off the stage. His students and colleagues congratulated him for the amazing yet touching performance. Hyesung smiled and bowed, as he walked towards his waiting room.

Hyesung was shocked when he opened the door. Eric was there, standing in the middle of the room.

"Hey." Eric smiled and walked towards Hyesung who was still frozen on his spot. "That was a great performance." Eric hugged him, but Hyesung did not move. Then Eric whispered to his ear. "Thank you." Hyesung's eyes widened. He pushed Eric and looked at him.

"Thank me for what?" Hyesung was even more confused when he saw a smile on Eric's face. Eric then pulled him back for another hug.

"For writing and singing that song for me." Eric whispered. Hyesung's heart was beating crazily, and he felt it would explode in seconds. But Eric suddenly pulled away. "I know everything." Hyesung looked at Eric, and his selfish side thought Eric seemed happy.

"What do you mean?" That was all Hyesung could ask.

"I know you liked me all these years. Thank you." Hyesung wanted to cry, for Eric's words sounded like he was saying goodbye. Eric brought his fingers to Hyesung's face, and wiped the tears that Hyesung did not know already flowing.

"I'm sorry. I know you would hate me now. Don't worry. I'll leave you alone. I didn't expect you to know. But now you know, I don't expect you to retur--" Hyesung blinked his eyes when he saw Eric's face too close to him. Then he felt something moving on his lips. When he saw Eric's eyes shut, he realized what Eric was doing. His mind was telling him to push Eric away, but his heart wanted him to respond to that kiss. Oh who in the world would say no to his own heart?

 

A few meters away, behind the slightly opened door, four pairs of eyes were staring at the newly-formed couple, having their first official kiss.

"Are you recording this? I want to use this to blackmail them someday." Minwoo whispered.

"Yes, it's recording now." Junjin replied, grinning evilly at the pair.

"Hey. You didn't take off the lens cover!" Andy suddenly spoke. Junjin immediately took the cover off, and fixed the camera's angle back to the couple.

"Sorry. Now it's recording." Junjin spoke, feeling guilty for missing the earlier few minutes.

"Babo!" Minwoo hit the cameraman's head.

"Don't worry. I got it all in my head." Dongwan spoke, as he was clearly enjoying the scene.

"Could your eyes project this scene when we want to watch it later?" Minwoo asked, hitting the drooling Dongwan on the head.

"Nope. But I can demonstrate." Dongwan grinned at the mad Minwoo, just to earn another hit from Andy.

 


A/N: I love the song. I love the performance. I love Hyesung-nim. ^^