RicSyung : Behind the mask

Friends, Crush, and Anything Nice

 

Today is like any other day. Hyesung goes to the practice room, wearing his favorite hoodie and track pants. And of course, a mask and a pair of sunglasses. As soon as he arrives, Andy greets him.

"Hyung, did you sleep well?" Andy asks when Hyesung is putting down his stuff at the side.

"I slept just fine, Andy-ya. Thanks." Hyesung smiles, but Andy doesn't see it, so the maknae just walks away to take his own place. When the dancers finally gather, they get ready to start their dance practice.

 

After a while, Hyesung gets tired so he stops dancing and grabs a water bottle.

"Hyesung-ah. Is everything okay?" Minwoo asks.

"Yup. Everything's good." Hyesung goes to sit at the side, for he suddenly feels his head heavy. He asks Minwoo for a break, which Minwoo immediately agrees. Hyesung then lies down on the floor, and shuts his eyes for a quick nap. He does not fail to notice Minwoo is being exceptionally nice to him today. He wonders why.

 

 Later that day, Hyesung is practicing his moves at the side when Dongwan walks in.

"Sung-ah! I thought you wouldn't come today!" He runs to hug Hyesung.

"Of course I'd come. We are practicing for our concert." Hyesung calmly replies, which surprises Dongwan. The latter then smiles and walks towards Minwoo and Andy at the other side of the room. Hyesung shrugs and continues perfecting his dance moves with a few dancers.

 

Junjin comes after an hour, because he has another schedule earlier. When he sees his favorite hyung, he grins and slowly walks towards him.

"Hyesungie hyung! How are you feeling today?" Junjin asks with the grin still lingers on his face.

"I feel good. A little tired. But nothing unusual. Why?" Hyesung replies while looking at the younger guy. The latter just shakes his head, smiling. Hyesung feels something is fishy, especially when Junjin too walks towards the other three. Not wanting to think much about it, he continues going through his lyrics.

 

The dance practice is finally over, and now it's time for their recording session. Hyesung is packing his stuff when Minwoo leaves for the studio with the others. On his way to the studio, he sees Eric at the hallway.

"Yo Eric." Hyesung greets him, but Eric just nods and continues walking to the studio. The feeling of something fishy returns, so Hyesung runs to catch up with the leader. "Is everything okay?" He asks Eric.

"Yeah." Eric replies, while looking to the front. Hyesung notices Eric is walking fast, which is weird. But he shrugs, and just let Eric lead the way.

 

When Hyesung opens the studio door, he sees all five are already there. He then takes a seat at the sofa beside Dongwan. The moment he looks up, four pairs of eyes are looking at him.

"What? Is it my turn now?" Hyesung gets up with the lyrics in his hand, but Andy stops him.

"We haven't started yet." Minwoo replies.

"Then what? Why are you looking at me like that?" Hyesung asks, looking at each one of them. Seeing one person is not looking at him, he calls. "Eric-ah, what's wrong with them?" But Eric just shakes his head, his back facing the other five.

"Guys, he seems to not remember anything about it. Just let it pass." Dongwan suddenly speaks.

"Yeah. Minwoo hyung, let's start recording." Andy adds, tugging Minwoo's shirt.

"What? What is it that I don't remember?" Hyesung asks. Junjin wants to answer, but Minwoo stops him.

"Let me handle this." He says to his friends, and looks at the confused Hyesung. "Are you okay?" Hyesung nods. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm just fine. I feel good. That's what I told you and Jinnie earlier."

"How was your sleep?" Minwoo asks again.

"Andy-ya, I've told you this right?" Andy nods. "I slept just fine."

"Are you sure you don't remember what happened last night?"

"We had dinner together. Right? So what? Am I in trouble?" Hyesung is starting to worry.

"No, no, no. Don't worry." Junjin replies, but Andy nudges him.

"When you woke up this morning, how did you feel?" Minwoo asks.

"My head felt heavy. It still feels heavy now. Why?"

"Hyung, that's enough. We should be glad he doesn't remember." Andy says.

"Last one." Minwoo looks at his friends. And when they nod, he looks back at Hyesung. "Why are you still wearing your mask?" Hyesung furrows his brows.

"I always wear mask. Today is no exception." He nods at his friends. "But now that you ask, today is an exception." The four widen their eyes. "My lips were swollen. My cheeks too. And I got red marks on my chin, my neck. I don't know why. What did I eat yesterday??" He asks his friends, but their eyes become bigger. Hyesung glances at Eric, who stays still in his favorite chair. "Eric-ah, what did I eat last night?" Eric feels his cheeks burn. When Hyesung hears his friends' giggles, he turns to them. But they immediately freeze.

"Let's start recording." Minwoo announces, holding in his laughter. Hyesung sees this, he gets up and grabs Minwoo's collar.

"What are you hiding from me?" He asks, angry. But Minwoo just grins. "Did I eat something funny?" Minwoo shakes his head. Suddenly, Eric gets up and leaves into the recording room. Minwoo and the other three laugh. Hyesung knows something is definitely wrong. Seeing Eric tries hard to ignore the matter, that means something wrong is involving them two. Hyesung quickly presses the intercom to talk to Eric. "Eric-ah." Eric looks up, and their gazes meet. "What did I eat last night?" Hyesung sounds serious, as if it is a matter of life and death. Eric knows he couldn't run away now. He curses himself when he sees the other four are now laughing like crazy.

"You wouldn't want to know." Eric finally speaks through the microphone. Then Hyesung realizes Eric too is wearing a mask, which is super weird.

"You ate the same thing too?" Hyesung asks, earning louder laughter from the other four. And of course he doesn't see Eric's red ears because of the beanie he's wearing. 

"Let's just talk about this later." Hearing Eric's answer, Hyesung gets up and walks into the room Eric is in. Minwoo, Dongwan, Junjin, and Andy are watching the two from the large soundproof glass that separates the two rooms.

"Great. Now we won't hear what they are saying." Dongwan speaks, disappointed.

"Now tell me. What did we eat?" The four widen their eyes excitedly when they hear Hyesung's voice. Each flashes a grin which the other two don't see.

"Um..." Eric looks away from Hyesung, but the latter grabs his collar.

"Tell me Eric-ah." Hyesung speaks in a soft tone, which makes Eric blush.

"Um... You ate me." Eric whispers, blushing hard.

"I'm serious here. What did I eat yesterday??" Hyesung threatens.

"I'm serious too. You ate me." Eric suddenly pulls down his mask. "See?" Hyesung sees Eric's swollen lips, red marks on his lower cheeks and chin. He could even see the marks on Eric's neck.

"Crazy. Why would I eat you? Tell me the truth now." He grabs Eric's collar even tighter. Eric sighs and leans closer.

"You were drunk. So you ate me." Hyesung's face turns red. He is blushing. He tries to remember what happened last night.

 

They were having dinner after the meeting ended.

"I'm going home." Hyesung spoke as he got up to leave.

"But hyung, you're drunk. Stay a little longer, and then I'll send you home." Junjin said.

"No. I want to go now." Hyesung left the place.

"Eric-ah, go home with him." Minwoo suggested.

"Nahh. I still want to drink." Eric replied. Minwoo then hit his shoulder, hard. "Fine." Eric eventually got up to leave.

"Be good." Dongwan reminded, earning giggles from the other three. But Eric ignored them and walked fast to find Hyesung.

"Hyesung-ah!" Eric shouted when he saw his friend getting out from a convenience store.

"Oh Eric, my best friend." Hyesung smiled.

"What did you buy?" Eric took the plastic bag from Hyesung's hand. "More beer? We just had some." Hyesung's smile turned to a grin.

"I wanted to drink more. But I'm afraid I would be too drunk to go home. So I bought some to drink later. You want to join?" Eric felt tempted to join for he was still sober.

"Let me take you home." He grabbed Hyesung's arm and took him to his house.

"Ahh it's good to be home." Hyesung exclaimed as he settled on the couch. He then grabbed a can of beer and drank.

"Hyesung-ah." Eric tried to stop him, but it was too late.

"Drink with me." Hyesung spoke after finishing a can. Eric sighed and joined the drunk Hyesung on the couch. Hyesung then passed a can to Eric, which he gladly accepted. After only two cans, Eric felt Hyesung leaned onto him, his eyes closed. But his hand was moving towards Eric.

"Sh*t." Eric muttered when he felt Hyesung's hand already on his chest.

 

Eric's eyes are closed, afraid to look at Hyesung. When he feels Hyesung loosens his grip on the collar, he opens one eye. Hyesung is looking down, his face is red. But Hyesung in silent mode is scarier than the angry mode.

"Hyesung-ah..." Eric speaks first, for he has calmed down after explaining the incident to Hyesung. The latter then releases the collar and immediately exits the studio. Eric looks at his friends, but they just shrug. So he runs to catch up with Hyesung. He goes out of the building, but no Hyesung in sight. He goes back in and tries searching at the toilet. Seeing Hyesung isn't there, Eric goes to the dressing room for it is the last place he knows he could find Hyesung.

And he is right. Hyesung is there, lying face down on the sofa. "Hyesung-ah..." Eric calls as he closes the door. "Say something." Eric sits beside Hyesung.

"Sorry." Hyesung replies, still facing down.

"Don't be. You were drunk." Eric taps his friend's shoulder.

"Were you drunk too?" Hyesung asks, and Eric flinches in his seat.

"Err yes. A little bit." Eric replies, hoping Hyesung would buy his excuse.

"But you remember everything?" Hyesung asks as he gets up to sit beside Eric.

"You can say that." Eric answers and looks away from Hyesung because Eric starts blushing again. Suddenly, Hyesung pulls off Eric's mask from his face.

"I did these while I was drunk?" Eric nods. Hyesung then pulls off his own mask. "Then what about these?" He points at his own face. Eric feels his ears burning, his heart dropping, and his forehead sweating.

"I got carried away. I'm sorry." Eric looks down, afraid to face Hyesung for he is sure Hyesung would be mad at him. To his surprise, Hyesung gets up and locks the door.

"Can you show me how? Because I don't remember anything." Hyesung walks back to Eric, smiling. Eric widens his eyes. When Hyesung sits next to him, Eric smiles.

"I know you're going to hit me the moment I start demonstrating." Eric smirks, thinking he has crashed Hyesung's plan. But Hyesung knows better. He pushes Eric, so that Eric is lying on his back while Hyesung is on top of him.

"You did that to me while I was drunk. How dare you??" Hyesung shouts at Eric, his hands are gripping Eric's collar.

"Hyesung-ah. I'm sorry." Eric knows Hyesung is furious. And furious Hyesung is never good.

"You weren't even drunk!" Hyesung shouts again, and leans closer to Eric. Eric blinks his eyes, realizing something.

"Are you drunk?" Eric asks when he smells Hyesung's breath. He looks around the room, and he sees two empty soju bottles on the floor. How could he miss that?

"I think I am." Hyesung's calm voice makes Eric's heart beats rapidly. He inhales, and exhales, hoping the feeling would quickly go away. "Why? Are you afraid you would take advantage of me again?" Hyesung smirks. In Eric's mind, Hyesung's smirks plus his drunken state plus how close their faces are right now, equal to temptation. Eric is intrigued, which is bad. Very, very bad. In a matter of seconds, Eric and Hyesung change their position. Seeing Hyesung's grin only makes Eric's heart beats even faster than the bullet train in Japan.

"This time, I won't be sorry." Eric flashes a grin and leans closer to the drunk Hyesung, whose cheeks are now pink, lips still swollen red, and eyes sparkling like stars in the night sky.

 

Meanwhile at the studio.

"Hyung, how did you know what happened between them?" Junjin asks Minwoo.

"I don't. Eric called me last night. He was shouting, saying Hyesung forced him to drink. Then the call ended. That's all." Minwoo explains, laughing.

"So they themselves spill it to us?" Andy asks, surprised.

"Fortunately, yes." The four of them laugh. Apparently, the recording session for today is cancelled, due to the absence of the leader and the lead singer.

 


A/N: Fluff is really not my thing. I feel embarrassed/shy/awkward while writing this.