Euphoria

Secretly In Love

The lunch break bell just rang and as usual, the students were in a hurry trying to leave class to go straight to the canteen. Chanyeol was about to take a quick nap when suddenly a figure stood in front of his desk. He lifted his head. It was Sulli.

“ Chanyeol, can I ask you a favour ?” Please say yes. We are running out of time.

“ Sure. What’s the deal ?” Chanyeol asked halfheartedly. It was not that he wasn’t really sincere in having to help Sulli, he just wanted to have a quick break. His big eyes were squinted as he looked at Sulli.

“ Would you like to join the musical club ? We have to present a play this upcoming month, but we’re short of members.” Sulli bit her lips in desperation as she explained. She knew well enough that Chanyeol is an outgoing guy that is kind enough to help others. She figured it’s not a waste to try her luck, right ?

Chanyeol wrinkled his forehead. He stared at Sulli while slowly tilting his head to the left. That was his thinking face. Fifteen seconds passed and he was still in that state.

That does it. “ Yah Chanyeol!  What’s that face for ? Do you think that I will fall for you with it ?” She blurted it out loud. It was a joke, but somehow it sounded serious enough to make Chanyeol laughed.

“ I’m sorry. That was just my thinking face. Okay Sulli. I’ll do it.” What do I have to lose, Chanyeol thought to himself.

Chanyeol’s words lifted up a smile on Sulli’s face. She clapped her hands and jumped a few times. “ Thanks, Chanyeol. Just remember, the practise is on every Wednesday after school, okay !”

Chanyeol nodded his head in acknowledgment. “ What do I have to do ? I don’t want to have parts in the play okay. I only want to help behind the scenes, okay !”

“ Don’t worry about that. You just need to come on Wednesday and then we’ll know. Thank you sooo much, Chanyeol. I owe you one.” Sulli said before she ran off and left Chanyeol on his desk.

“ She’s cute.” Chanyeol heard a deep voice from behind. Without even looking he knew it was Kris.

“ Yeah, I guess.” You said that to almost every girl you met, Kris. Grow up already.

“ Are you guys dating or something ? Or perhaps, do you like her, bro? “ Kris asked while nudging Chanyeol’s back with his fist.

Chanyeol took a deep breath. Here we go again. “ No I am not dating anyone. But Sulli is a great girl and if you think of playing with her heart, then I will have to say no to it.”

“ Chill bro. I was just joking.” Kris mumbled under his breath. What’s with this guy today ? Is he having a PMS or what ?

 

Kris was actually Chanyeol’s bestfriend despite his player persona. He was not really a player, he don’t actually date girls a lot. It was just the way he talks and acts around girls which made everyone think so. Living in Canada before, Kris was used with ‘kissing-cheeks-to-greet’ and ‘extremely-good-manners-to-strangers’ and all sorts of skinships. It was how he was brought up. Chanyeol always warned him that he could breaks girls’ hearts just by glaring at them, so he should cut off the excessive acts, but he just shrugged it off. He had his own way of his life.

 

“ Chanyeol.” Kris called. No response.

“ Chanyeol-ah.” Kris repeated. Still no response. He was going to open his mouth again for the third calling but then Chanyeol groans.

“ I am trying to take a nap here. Why can’t you just leave me alone, Kris ?” He murmured in his sleepy voice.

Kris ignored Chanyeol’s avowal. He can’t help to notice the girl on the other corner of the class. “ Don’t you think it’s weird that every girl would risk to take a chance just to talk to me but—“ Chanyeol rolled his eyes. He was used to Kris being narcissist, but sometimes it just get on his nerves. “—that Sung Ah never even bats her eyes on me.”

Upon hearing that, Chanyeol eyes went wide and he stood up straight on his seat. “ W- what did you just said?” Please don’t tell me you’re gonna go all ‘Hi-I’m-the-irresistable-Kris’ all over her. Please.

Kris smirked. Now I got your attention, huh ? “ Why can’t you just admit it ? I know you had a crush on her.”

It was actually true. Kris noticed Chanyeol silent stares on her. How his big, Dumbo ears twitched everytime he heard her name. And Kris definitely noticed how Chanyeol always blush when Kris said anything about her to him.

Chanyeol took a deep breath. He fidgeted before slowly turning himself to look at Kris on his back. Kris sat on his seat with his only his left corner of his lips lifted. He put his right arms on top of his arms and put his chin on it. “ Come on. You know you can trust me,” he said.

“Okay okay. I admit it. But it was just a crush okay ! Now just promise me you won’t approach her like you did to all the other girls.” Chanyeol regretted his words just after it slipped right off his tongue. He’s gonna tease me all the time for this. He bit his lower lips.

“ I knew it ! You should’ve told me earlier. I can help introduce you to her,” Kris suggested. He chuckled when Chanyeol widen his eyes again after hearing what he said.

“ Didn’t you hear what I said ? Don’t approach her. Ever. Whaddaya mean you want to introduce her to me ? I bet she doesn’t even know your name..” Chanyeol mumbled the last sentence.

Oh really? Kris thought. He looked at Chanyeol with a smug. Then he turned his head to the left corner of the class and kinda shout “ Hey Sung Ah !” Sung Ah who was concentrating on her English homework startled at first, and then she looked Kris and replied “ Hey Kris,” with a smile. She even waved back at Kris. Then she continued doing her work, unconscious about Chanyeol’s eyes which were almost popping out due to the shock of seeing what just happened in front of him. Then he noticed Kris was giving him a smug face.

“ Told ya I can introduce you guys.” Bet you didn’t see that coming.

“ W-What just happened ? I mean, how did she even know you ? When ? W-Why ?” Chanyeol can’t help but stuttered throughout his words. He was still shocked. He tried everything but he still can’t comprehend the fact that Sung Ah knows Kris. Why don’t you know me ?

“ Whoa whoa. Hold on there, Dumbo. One question at a time. What happened was, she called my name, smiled, and even waved at me. We knew each other because she bumped into me and I helped her pick up her books which she dropped accidentally because of the incident, which happened yesterday and that was how we started talking and that’s how we knew each other. By the way, if you weren’t too busy staring at her secretly while I’m talking to you yesterday, you should already knew about all of these,” Kris lifted his left eyebrows just to mock Chanyeol. Chanyeol, who were still in a perplex condition, didn’t even blink while listening to Kris’ explanation.  How he wished he was Kris who bumped into Sung Ah accidentally.

KRRRINGGGG!’

“ Great. I swear recess time are getting shorter everyday,” Kris mumbled under his breath. He leaned on his chair while putting both of his arms at the back of his head. Seeing Kris was trying to sleep before the teacher came in, Chanyeol slowly turned to his his desk.

 

 

It was raining and Chanyeol were rushing to Kai’s café. He was holding a rolled magazine in his left hand and he was protecting his head from the rain with his right hand above his head. He reached at a pedestrian crossing in a half-drenched work uniform. He was waiting for the traffic to stop when suddenly an umbrella was held above his head. He lifted his head to take a look at the transparent umbrella and turned left to take a clear look of the owner of the hand who was holding it. He received an instant electric shock when he realized whose hand was it. Park Sung Ah.

Upon seeing Chanyeol’s reaction, Sung Ah smiled and offered the umbrella to him. It took a while for Chanyeol to decipher, but then he understands. “ W-why are you giving me your umbrella. Y-you will get wet.” After he realized how he stuttered, he wished Sung Ah thought that he was stuttering because he was freezing. 

“ I wasn’t offering it for you. I was asking you to hold it.” Chanyeol gave her a blank face. She then pointed to his feet. She was tiptoe-ing to make sure that the umbrella could reach above Chanyeol’s head. Only then, Chanyeol realized that Sung Ah’s height only reached a little above his broad shoulder.

“ Sorry,”Chanyeol muttered while grabbing the umbrella from Sung Ah hands, his cheeks were turning red as his hands brushed off slightly with Sung Ah’s as he did it.

“ The traffic had stopped. Gaja !” They both crossed the street together. Chanyeol however, can’t stop wondering why did she helped him at the first place.

“ W-why did you help me ?” he asked after they crossed the road.

“ You’re Kai’s staff right ? I am heading to Kai’s too,” she said while pointing at his uniforms.

“ Oh,” he replied. Of course it’s the uniform! I thought she recognised me. He can’t help but feeling a little down about it.

“ How long have you been working at Kai’s ?” Her questions broke the silence between them. They were walking together, sharing an umbrella. Whoever saw them probably thought that they were a couple.

“ Three years, more of less,” Chanyeol answered, trying to control his grin. She is asking about me ! ME !

“ Oh, that’s a long time. Funny I don’t recognise you since I’ve been there a lot--” she said, smiling. “ --but I am really oblivious so, please forgive me.”

“ That’s okay, Sung Ah.” Chanyeol replied. His words made Sung Ah stopped walking. She stared at Chanyeol in disbelief. Chanyeol fidgeted.

“D-id I say something wrong?”

She was hesitant. She looked like she wanted to say something but she still can’t find the words. At last, she tried to say what was playing on her mind. “ How did you know my name ?” she asked.

Chanyeol felt a pang of relief. I thought I said something wrong. But still, I can’t believe she didn’t recognise me as her classmate, Chanyeol thought, feeling down for a while.

“ You really don’t recognise me ? We’re actually classmates since last year. And I’m Kris’ bestfriend.”

Chanyeol’s reply startled Sung Ah. Her eyes and mouth were drawing an ‘O’. Chanyeol laughed seeing her reaction. “ You probably should your mouth before a fly flew in,” he said. He was actually restraining himself from cupping her small face in his hands. She looked sooo damn cutee..

Sung Ah closed . “ I am really really sorry. I really don’t recognise you. Well, actually I don’t even know most of our classmates. This is really embarrassing. You know me but I don’t even recognise you--” Sung Ah ranted, oblivious of the fact that Chanyeol was actually staring at her, not even hearing what she said anymore. She stopped babbling when Chanyeol suddenly broke into laughter. He was laughing so hard that all of his teeth and even gums were showing. He even slapped his thighs with the magazine that he was holding.

“ W-why are you laughing ? What’s so funny ?” Sung Ah asked, confused. He looked like a giant baby when he laughed. I didn’t know that he’s a really jolly person.

Chanyeol tried hard to suppress his laughter, he took a deep breath before saying, “ I never see this side of you. You were always serious and give an indifferent face. That’s why I laughed.”

“ Oh.” Sung Ah didn’t know what to say. She was thinking about how Chanyeol knows that she was serious all the time. They started walking again.

“ Can I ask you something ?” Chanyeol said, trying to engage Sung Ah in a conversation.

“ Sure.”

“ Why are you always alone ? I mean, I only saw you with Sulli and Juniel, but that’s all.”

“ Oh. I don’t really know. I think I’m comfortable being alone.”

“ But sometimes, we need someone to lean on to, to laugh with and to share stories with. Don’t you think so ?”

“ I guess. But I’m used to be a lone ranger. That’s why.” Sung Ah said. She was actually agreeing with what Chanyeol was saying. Suddenly, her eyes caught something. It was the magazine that Chanyeol was holding in his right hand.

“ Is that Euphoria ?” she asked. She had not buy this months’ issue yet.

“ What ? This magazine ? Yupp.” Chanyeol answered while shaking the rolled magazine in his hand. “ You want to read it ?” He offered.

“ You read Euphoria ? That’s amazing. Most guys are not into these kinds of mags. They only look for cars and gadgets mags.”

“ Hey. Literature are fun, okay. And I also like to read,” Chanyeol said. “ I buy this every month. There’s a slot which I really love, but I don’t remember what is the name of the author.”

Whoaa. This guy is something, Sung Ah thought. She was still amazed on how a bright guy like him loves literature and reading.

 

They keep on chatting on what they love and like to do while walking through the sidewalk. In his mind, Chanyeol was hoping that they will never reach Kai’s Café.

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________

A/N : 

hey guysss. sorry for the late update, but i just started my university life, and believe me, it was kina hactic and i dont know what to expect. so please bear with me, okay ? :)))

 

and I changed Kay into Kai coz, why not ? who didnt LOVE Kim Jongin anyway , right ? ;P

 

By the way, the chapter was entitled Euphoria because it literally means the state of happiness that Chanyeol was in , having the chance to know Sung Ah better :D teehee

 

feel free to drop any comments please~~~ kamsahamnida <3