The Wonder

Secretly In Love

You were sitting on your table while waiting for class to start. Kara’s Step Up is blasting from your headphones. Once again, you were thrown deep inside your world, ignoring all the people around you. Right then, someone tapped on your right shoulder. You turned your head to the right and smile seeing the familiar face. Sulli was frowning. Her forehead is wrinkled.

“Ya Sung Ah! I’ve been calling your name for five times already!” Sung Ah took off her headphones.

“ Mianhae Sulli. My mp3 was on full blast,” you let out a grin.  The girl in front of you shook her head, and sat on the table besides you. She has a long brunette hair, a fairer complexion, and a smile on her eyes. Despite being a really tall girl, she is a really cute girl with lots of aegyo. Sulli was your classmates since you enter the school, and she had a totally opposite character than you are. She is an extrovert person, drawing people’s attention without even trying, and she is the type of girl who everyone wants to be close to. Funny how she chose you to be her closest friends since you have nothing in common with her. Well, except the love towards music, of course. Sulli is an active member of the school’s musical club. Sometimes she would ask you to keep her company when she practised in the school theatre.

 

“ You should turn down the volume, ya know. It’s not good for your health. You can turn deaf one day !,” Sulli babble. She stopped when you only smiled to her. She knew you will not listen because this was not the first time she said that.

 

 

“The teacher’s cominggg !” The boy who sits near the door, yelled. All the students in the room scampered to their own places. The class grew quiet. A man wearing blue shirt entered the class.

 

“Okay guys. Before we start today’s class, let me take your attendance first,” said Mr. Hwang, your class teacher. He started calling the students name by alphabetical order. One by one, the students raised their hand. You were looking through the windows. Adoring the blue skies and listening to the sweet sound of birds chipping. This is your routine everyday while waiting for the teacher to call your name.

 

“Park Chanyeol !” Mr. Hwang called. No response from the students.

“Chanyeol ?” Second call. Still no response. The teacher was about to continue calling the next name on the list when a boy appeared at the front door.

“ Seongsaengnim, I’m here,” he said while smiling.

“ Ah, Chanyeol. I forgot that you’re in charge of the school gate today, right ?” The boy just nodded numerous time, jovially. “Okay, okay. Go and take your seat. And thanks again for volunteering.”

 

 

The boy goes to the right corner of the class. He sat on his place and put his bag under his table. He turned his head to the left, to the opposite corner of the class. He watched the girl who sit there staring outside the windows.

“Park Sung Ah!” The teacher called a name. The girl startled, and the slowly raised her hands. Seeing that, you chortled before you channel your attention to the teacher in front of the class. The same thing every morning eh, Sung Ah ? Only the teacher calling your name will draw your attention from the window on your left. When will you turn to this right corner of the class and notice me ?

 

 

The school bell rang. The class was finally over. Sung Ah was ready to go to Kai Café’ which is only then minutes away. She was thinking about the sweet creamy taste of the hot chocolate that she will definitely order upon arriving when suddenly, someone grabbed her wrist from behing.

“ Sung Ah, did you forget? Today is Wednesday.” Sulli said after letting go of her wrist.

“  Ah, right. I kinda forgot about that. Gaja !”  You mentally slapped yourself. You were supposed to accompany Sulli every Wesnesday. Here goes two hours sitting on the corner of the school theatre, you thought to yourself.

“ Sung Ah, the musical club is short of actress. Why don’t you join us ?” Sulli asked, trying to supress a giggle. You looked at her a disbelieved face of yours. Your eyes were wide open.

“ What ?! Are you kidding me, Sulli ? I can’t even sing. Or.. or act ! Writing is the only thing I’m good at and—“ You suddenly stopped after hearing Sulli laugh. “Urgh. I thought you were serious,” you glanced at Sulli before letting out a relieve sigh.

“ I was just joking around with you. You should look at your own reaction just now. It was hilarious ! You’re always with your intense, serious face. You should smile and laugh more often you know.” Sulli said. You know what Sulli said was right, but you said nothing.

 

Upon arriving at the school theatre hall, you searched a place at the corner of the hall, took your books from inside your bag and started doing your homework. Sometimes you take a glance on the stage upfront, only when you heard Sulli’s voice, just to watched her practised. Other girls on the stage look at Sulli in admiration while some of the guys were even drooling. Yepp. That’s my Sulli. Always attracting others with her bright personality, good looks and wonderful voice. You can’t help to feel proud over your friend. Which also reminds me of Juniel. Ah, matta ! I have to tell her that I will be back in two hours. You search for your handphone in your pocket and typed a message.

 

Be back in two hours. Not going to the café today. Sent.

Jun Jun : Today’s accompanying Sulli day huh ?

Yupp. Sent.

 

 

 

In Kai’s Café, the ambiance was quiet and calm. There were not many customers since it was still office time. A boy wearing the café’s uniform was staring at the door. He looked like he was waiting for someone. After staring for ten seconds, he realized he had works to do. No Sung Ah today, I guess, Chanyeol said to himself. He went to the café’s kitchen. The sink was filled with plates and dishes. He reached out for the sponge on the side of the sink and turn on the tap.

“Chanyeol.” A man who just came out of the café’s restroom was approaching him. “ I thought you were in charge of the counter today.” Kai said.

“ Oh. I swiped with Anna. She said she’s tired of washing the dishes,”  you answered, still concentrating on your work.

“ So I guess, you don’t need my help passing the treat today, huh ?” Kai asked with a mocking smile. You knew where this is going.

“ She’s not here, so I guess she won’t come today.” You glanced at Kai. He was sipping a cup of coffee while leaning on the coffee making station.

“ You realised she is my sister’s best friend, right ? I can slip this secret of yours right off my tongue to her.” Oh Chanyeol.  I still can’t believe that out of many girls in the world, you had a crush on emotionless Sung Ah. You both had nothing in common ! Kai mentally chortled.

“ Hyung, I know you won’t do that to me,” He better not. I am not ready for the whole confession and expressing my feelings thingy yet. She didn’t even noticed me and we’ve been classmates since last year !

“ Okay Chanyeol. But if you need a help or a push, you can always let me know.” Kai left his cup in the sink and gave Chanyeol a nudge.

“ Yahh hyung ! At least wash your own cups !” Aishh this hyung is killing me. He’s lucky he’s the boss. haishh. Chanyeol shook his head while continuing to wash the dishes.

 

Park Chanyeol had known Kai for the past three years. Three years ago he was searching for a job to fill his leisure time when he saw a new café on side of the road. He decided to test his luck and went in on a walk-in interview. That was how he knew Kai and his café. Since then, he had been working at this café during school breaks. He was one of Kai’s favourite worker since he was a very hardworking boy. When the school break was over, he asked Kai if he could came to work when he has free time. Kai told him that he was free to come and work whenever he wanted. So since then he had a flexible working time. He would work fulltime during school breaks and on flexible shifts during study period. Since then he grew closer to Kai and Kai treated him as his dongsaeng. One day, two girls entered the café and one of the girls seems kinda close with Kay. It turned out to be his little sister who was the same age as Chanyeol. But Chanyeol had his attention on someone else. The girl that came with her.

 

Three years ago, the girl only came once a while with Juniel, Kai’s sister. But that changed last year. She came more often but alone. She would turn on her laptop or brought out a book and did her homeworks. She ignored everyone and everything. As if nothing else exists except her. She would come straight from school, since she would still wear her school uniform. From the uniform, Chanyeol knew she came from the same school as he is and it made him wondered about her more and more. At first, Chanyeol did not even bother that much about her. She just knew her as a mysterious girl who liked to sit alone. But when he found out that they were classmates, he tried to befriend with her since he was a friendly person. Unfortunately, all of his trial failed.

 

February 26th, 2013

Chanyeol approached the girl. I’m gonna try talking to her. He saw Sung Ah slouching attentively while writing something on her book. I’m gonna say ‘Hi’. I’m gonna say ‘Hi’. Suddenly Sung Ah  lifted her head. She saw him and she smile. She smiled at me ! I’m sure she recognised me since I’ve been working here like forever. He gave her a wide grin, exposing his white charming teeth and an adorable dimple of his. Sung Ah opened and start talking to him.

‘Can I get another hot choc, please mister?’ Chanyeol was disconcerted, but he managed to still smile.

‘Su.. sure I can,” he said as he walked away from her table.

 

 

Since then, Chanyeol was pretty sure that Sung Ah never noticed his existence. He was all jolly and bubbly and he had many friends, but he always failed to capture her attention. She only knew her name one day when Kai asked him why he kept staring at his dongsaeng.

“ Do you like my dongsaeng, Chanyeol ? I can introduce you to her if you want to.” Gotcha Chanyeol, Kai thought to himself.

“ A- A- Aniya. I don’t like her. She’s your dongsaeng and I wouldn’t want to be your brother-in-law one day,” Chanyeol tried to joke around. I can’t believe this hyung was observing me all the time ! I’m in danger. Uh oh.

“ You better spill out and admit it before I called Juniel and tell her all about your crush…” Kai was half threatening Chanyeol just to play around. “ JUNI—“

“Okay, okay I tell you ! Jeez hyung. I can’t believe you’re so childish,” Chanyeol muttered under his breath. “ I didn’t like her. It was her friend that I’ve been eyeing on all the time.”  Chanyeol confessed. He can feel his blood gushing to his cheeks. He was bowing his head the whole time to avoid eye contact with Kay.

“ What ? You mean Sung Ah ?” Kai stared at him in disbelief. And the rest is history.

 

Ever since then Chanyeol picked up a thing or to about her from Kai. She used to be his neighbour, but now she’s living together with Juniel. They even share the same surname ! She is a really quiet person and even Kai said that it took a long time before she get used to Kai. Her bestfriend was of course Juniel but at school, he knew she was close with Sulli, something that made him curious even more. Sulli has the same character as Chanyeol. She was friendly and easily approachable. But Sung Ah was the complete opposite. Then how come they can be bestfriends but it was hard on Chanyeol to only get her to notice him ?