Rest while you can

Shades of the Diviner

 

 

Seeing the homestay and my text pal Ailee, has got me feeling great! I don't know what to expect from staying in this place, but at least someone I know is here. Maybe this place won't be so bad after all.

"Hyemin-ah, is this your friend?" My mom asked.

"Yes, this is my text pal, the one I've been telling you about." I said, gesturing to her.

"Ah... you must be Ailee then. Hi, I'm Hyemin's father." My father said.

"And I'm her mother." My mother said, both bowed, and Ailee bowed as well.

"It's nice to meet you both." Ailee said.

"Well, we have to go now, call us if you need anything." My mom said, turning to me.

"Yes, I will. Bye!" I waved to them.

They waved back. 

When they left, I turned back to Ailee and asked, "So what do you think of this place?"

"Well, its looks pretty nice and comfortable." She replied.

We both looked at the homestay we'll be staying in. A pretty nice place indeed.

"Heads up!"

Before I could react, I see an orange blob come hurdling toward me. Then, it hit me on the head.

"Ouch!" I groan in pain at the impact.

"Kai! What was that for?!" I heard her yell at someone.

I look in front of me and I see a calm young man walking towards us. Is he the guy Ailee was talking about? Even if he seems handsome, troublemaker is written all over him.

His tanned skin and blue and white tank top, dark blue baggy pants, sneakers, and to top it off, his hair is a mess.

"Oh, I'm sorry noona, I didn't see you there. But I only did what you told me to and that was to play with my ball." Kai tried to sound all innocently fake on purpose. 

I could still feel the pain throbbing as I touched the spot the ball hit.

"And who are you supposed to be?" Kai looked at me.

How rude!

"Is that how you talk to people older than you?" I asked.

If there's one thing I hate in people than all other things is people who don't show respect! Respect to anyone and any age.

"Why? How old are you supposed to be? 30?" He asked, making a smirk.

My face getting red, "I'm only 25!" I yelled at the boy.

"Wow, you are old. You're even older than Ailee." He said, when he put a hand in his pocket.

"No honorific?!" I yelled at him again, this guy really has no respect.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I don't even know you're name. Maybe I should call you ahjumma."

"Kai! You're going too far!" Ailee screamed at him, but Kai paid no heed.

"Yeah?" I said, upping my game, "Well, you clearly don't know my name isn't ahjumma but its clear that yours is kkamjong!" I said that with the confidence I'm known for. And the look on Kai's face was obviously stating he wasn't happy with the name I just gave him.

Just the way I like it.

He started giggling, then that smirk turned into a grin. I looked at Ailee, and she looked panicked there. I tried to grasp why it looked like she was panicking but before I could, Kai spoke.

"Girl, we just met, and I'm already pissed at you." He said, while taking a step forward.

"Same here. Just looking at you makes me want to run to the end of the earth." I said, I also stepped forward.

"Well, why don't you? That way I won't have to deal with such an annoying person like you." He took another step.

"And I wouldn't mind doing it, if it means I don't have to see a kkamjong like you and smell stinky perfume!" 

We were face to face now, trying to intimidate the other. I'm quite used to these kinds of battles, had them a lot during High school years. Ah, good times, good times. When those girls ran in fear of me because I punched the queenka that was bullying my friend. I miss those good times.

Before we could insult each other more, an old voice cutted in.

"Oh! Looks like all my guests are here now." An old lady maybe in her 60s came down and up to us. "Hello there children, I'm Kim Sura, the owner of the homestay. But the people call me Old Lady Ra." She bowed to us.

She had short and frilly hair, slightly gray and brown, a blaxk shirt with a velvet vest, a long dark green skirt and brown flats. She looked quite her age.

We all bowed to her in reply, I saw even Kai bowed. Guess he has maybe 5% respect.

"Now come on, I'll show you all to your rooms and I'll explain the rules of this house. Even though there aren't that many." She said, as she slowly walked back to the house.

"Well that's good. Now I don't have to break that many." Kai said, as he folded his rams back.

"Kai!" Ailee yelled at him again.

"What?" Kai said, clueless.

Looks like I've found that one thing— no, person that will be ruining my stay here.

. . .

We entered the house, it looked even nicer on the inside. The pure white walls matched with painting of nature and plants hanging by the windows, black couches, a wooden table, a slim TV, a simple but beautiful chandelier and everything that screams simple but beautiful. We all looked in awe. I didn't expect a homestay to look so beautiful. 

I kept looking around when my eyes caught a peculiar portrait. A portrait of a young asian girl's face. The clothes weren't shown, only the head.

"Um, ahjumma?" I said.

She turned to me with a smile. "Yes?"

"Who's this girl in the portrait?" I asked.

Old Lady Ra looked at the portrait I was pointing at and gave a nod.

"Ah, that is my ancestor from long long long ago, my child. This portrait has been in my family for generations." She replied.

We all looked at the portrait. The portrait seemed kind of eerie. For one thing, the eyes seemed to look straight at you. Another thing was that it's a painting portrait. And the portrait didn't have a smile. I couldn't stare at it for long.

"But why does it have a western style?" Ailee asked.

"That's because my ancestors used to serve under the westerns." 

My attention came back to the portrait. There was definitely something about this portrait that makes me feel... uncomfortable. I was going to ask another question when the kkamjong butted in.

"Aren't there other guests here at the homestay?" He asked.

"There are. But all three of them are out right now. They should be back by tonight. Now come, no more dilly dally. I'll show you to your rooms."

...

We walked up the stairs, our steps making the steps creak as Old Lady Ra explained the rules.

"Rule number one: You must take care of the room we gave you, I don't mind a simple scratch or crack but anything major, you have to pay for it.
Rule number two: No stealing or vandalizing anything that belongs to the Homestay
​Rule number three: Please don't use that much of electricity
Rule number five: Don't complain where you're put, you're where you are for a reason. Whether it was your own choice or not. 
My room is at the end of the hallway, if there's anything you need, don't be afraid to ask me.
"

Kai groaned at the last rule. While me and Ailee giggled and he gave us a death glare.

When we got to the hall way upstairs, where most of the bedrooms are, it was Kai's room first.

"Here's your room, young man."

Old Lady Ra opened a light brown door with a key. When the door opened, it revealed a white room, with a wooden floor, a closet, drawers, two windows, a bedside table with a lamp, a fluorescent light bulb and a white bed for one.

Kai entered without a second thought and laid down on the bed. Three seconds later, we hear snoring coming from his mouth.

"My my, you're friend must be very tired." Old Lady Ra said.

"Yeah, let's go with that." Me and Ailee said in unison.

Next up was Ailee's room. We walked down the hall and Old Lady Ra opened another light brown door with a key on the left. The door opened and revealed a room that was no different from Kai's.

"Here's your room, young lady."

"Thank you Old Lady Ra. I'll see you later unnie. I'm gonna unpack." Ailee waved at me.

"Sure." I waved back.

Old Lady Ra led me down the hallway more. My room was actually almost all the way at the end. 

Another light brown door that was soon opened and of course, another similar room. I didn't feel anything because all rooms were the same and would only become different once we start to decorate them. Nothing a little neon can't fix.

"Thank you, Old Lady Ra." I bowed to her.

"No need to thank me my dear. Just let me know if you need anything." She said with a smile on her face.

"I think I'll rest before I unpack." I said.

"Of course." I heard the door creek, indicating it was about to close when I heard something.

"Rest while you can..." Or something like that.

 


I'm so sorry to you guys for not updating for like, a month now, but I've just been busy with my finals and there were times when I didn't really feel like I wanted to do it and times when I just really couldn't do it.

But now its here!

Sorry I got rusty at this, my horror feels isn't really on yet. 

But I can promise better on the following chapters!

Thanks again to all my subscribers and readers! :) ~

Don't be shy to subscribe, comment, or upvote, you can even just bookmark it if you want! (XD)

I'd love to hear your opinions on how to improve!~