-X-

Ruining the Happy

 

"I'll see you in the future when we're older
And we are full of stories to be told 
Cross my heart and hope to die
I'll see you with your laughter lines"

"Laughter Lines" -Bastille

***

 

Sungmin ended up falling in love with Siwon. It took three years of dating, one living together and half to get Siwon down on his knees. Even Hyukjae could say, when he spotted Siwon looking at Sungmin and Sungmin catching up with it and stupidly in love smiles on both of their faces, that it was good.

 

It was good to be in love with the one who loved you back the same amount.

 

***

***

 

Sungmin smiles and Hyukjae is laughing at him, how stupidly in love he still looks and Sungmin laughs with him, showing off his finger and the ring in it. He is happy, he has his friends and family around, Siwon is there, and smiling at him (Sungmin catches him looking from the other side of the room).

 

The doorbell rings when the engagement party is on a full swing, and Lee Sungmin almost doesn’t want to get up from his spot from the couch but his fiancé is busy to entertain some of his friends so he really didn’t have any choices. Hyukjae snorts and pats his when he stands. Someone steals his place and Hyukjae is pulled into another conversation when he makes his way to the door. And when he swings the door open, he doesn’t know what he was expecting but definitely not this.

 

Kyuhyun stands there awkwardly, offering a wine bottle. Sungmin blinks at him, remembering sending the invitation to the younger man too. Kyuhyun scoffs.

“Can I come in or not?”

Sungmin grins and is about to move away when Siwon is there, coming up behind him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“And who we have here?”

“Just Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun is grabbed into a hug and Sungmin saves the bottle with smiles as Siwon leads the other man inside.

“I haven’t seen you in ages! Sungmin told me you’re travelling around!”

Kyuhyun laughs awkwardly and tries to get away from Siwon’s hug but it’s useless and the taller man drags him into the living room. Sungmin closes the door and returns to his guests. Hyukjae grins at him, pointing the direction to where Siwon has pulled Kyuhyun. Sungmin shrugs and is pulled along with Yongwoon who thinks it’s the time to recall the disaster company party where Sungmin and Kyuhyun had been so wasted. It’s one of those memories that Sungmin has locked away in his heart but Yongwoon still finds it hilarious how “that one Kim Heechul had poured all the water from that flower vase all over Sungmin!” The story ends up someone stating that wasn’t it the first time Siwon and Sungmin had met? Might have been. Then it could have been love at the first sight.

 

***

***

 

It’s kind of funny how years change a person. Kyuhyun had traveled around the world at least twice if Sungmin was right and the younger one had just gotten back from his travels to pay a visit to his sister who had recently gotten married, without his brother at his side. Some things hurt when missed and somehow it felt like he owned this to his sister, to pay a visit and at least be there for his niece’s birth.

 

Kyuhyun had known about the engagement for a long, it was him who Sungmin had actually called to the France when it had happened. Kyuhyun was happy for him, he truly was, Sungmin if anyone was worth of all the happiness he was getting thrown at him by Siwon.

 

 It had felt like they could be the best mates once again.

 

***

***

 

It’s not until three hours later when Kyuhyun slumps next to him on the couch, a plate full of food in his hands.

“God, I didn’t remember him being so pushover. That dancer dude had to save me. God these are good.”

Sungmin laughs and turns towards the younger male as he stuffs the pastry in his mouth.

“I had Zhoumi to bake them for us.”

“What? He doesn’t glare at you anymore? Ahra made me go there for a dinner and damn, that man is unforgiving!”

Sungmin snorts. “Well he lost a hell of a cook because of us but not that much anymore. He and Siwon started some sort business together couple of months ago, catering or something for Siwon’s business meetings or so. Siwon declared his love for Zhoumi’s food and you know Siwon, he charms everyone.”

Kyuhyun snorts, poking his food with a fork.

“Who wouldn’t be charmed by Siwon? Or, considering all these people here, who wouldn’t know Siwon?”

Sungmin nods, turning to look around the room. There’re his friends too but many of them had first been just Siwon’s friends and companions. Siwon had connections and he was adorable person to talk with so maybe it came to Siwon naturally to have many acquaintances.

“Oh. Hangeng, is that Hangeng?”

Sungmin nods and Kyuhyun leans forward a little.

“They’re business partners. We did invite Heechul too but as expected, only Hangeng turned up.” Kyuhyun nods, resuming his eating.

 

Sungmin doesn’t ask if Kyuhyun knows anything but then again Kyuhyun doesn’t ask either.

 

***

***

 

Hyukjae thought it was kind of cruel, not to tell. The circles were so small when you talked about Siwon and his acquaintances. Siwon had business everywhere and it hadn’t been that of a surprise to see Siwon and Ryeowook to talk with Hangeng about Heechul’s entertainment business matters. 

 

He had, for a long time, thought that Siwon didn’t really know who Ryeowook had been to Sungmin but he had, once again, underestimated his former object of adoration.

 

It had been Siwon, who had given the invitation to the engagement party to Ryeowook, personally almost pleading him to come.

 

***

 

“It is good to have you here. You have been back in the country… how long?”

“Three weeks, it’s so weird to get used to stay put. And well you invited me anyway, so I couldn’t not to come.”

Sungmin smiles gently.

“It was you who came anyway.”

Kyuhyun doesn’t really smile but the corner of his lips curves up.

“Yeah. You’re a great friend if nothing else.”

Sungmin snorts and their conversation drifts into comfortable zone, Sungmin tells him about their lives, Kyuhyun tells him about his travels and how boring it is to live alone. Their communication through e-mails and postcards had become almost like a habit when they grew up. Kyuhyun had been the first one Sungmin had called.

 

The night gets darker, more intimate, only for the closest friends and Siwon pops the new wine bottle, offering a glass to Kyuhyun. They laugh, they joke and Sungmin is happy. Like they used to be when they’re still roommates.

 

***

***

 

Hyukjae didn’t want to leave, because Donghae wasn’t there yet, but as Hangeng was making his way to the door, around 2am or so, Hyukjae took that as a lead to leave too.

 

But it isn’t yet too late.

 

***

***

 

They night is on the better half when there is a ring from the door.

 

Sungmin freezes, thinking that one of the neighbors has came and is about to complain the noise. From their spot they can’t see to the door but they hear Siwon open it, assuring Hangeng and Hyukjae that it’s okay if they still wanted to stay and then a new voice picks up and Sungmin vaguely recognizes it to belong to one of the Hyukjae’s dancer friends.

 

Sungmin isn’t sure if he is there to pick up Hyukjae but soon the man is on the door of the living room, spotting him and Kyuhyun. He grins like child and glances somewhere next to him, hidden behind the wall and reaches out a hand.

“Oh, sorry to interrupt you this late! You must be Kyuhyun, right?”

Sungmin smiles politely, wondering why it’s suddenly so silent in the corridor and why did Siwon stay behind?

Kyuhyun nods and Sungmin feels him tense, sensing that something was up. The man turns to the hiding someone, tucking gently.

“I’m sorry, I brought a visitor with me.”

Sungmin is ready to say, it’s okay, more the merrier but his words die down when the person is pulled free.

 

It’s almost like déjà vu.

 

Sungmin freezes and he can feel Kyuhyun to stand up.

 

Kim Ryeowook beams at them, smiling shyly, and a laugh escapes his mouth as Kyuhyun crosses the little distance between them and pulls him into a hug and flings around. 

______________________

And thus ends "Ruining the Happy." 

Thank you for subscriping and commenting and everything! 

This had been a wild ride, really. This story wasn't supposed to end like it ended but sometimes characters and plot don't work as they're supposed to. xD It's up to you if you think KyuWook did indeed was in contact during the time Kyuhyun travelled but I personally think they didn't. Ryeowook most likely got the gossips from Hyukjae and/or Siwon. Sungmin, as far as I'm conserned, probably told about everything about Kyuhyun and Ryeowook to Siwon soon after they started dating seriously, to avoid all the mess later. That's why Siwon himself ended up inviting Ryeowook to the party. And most likely they all end up happily friends after that. KyuWook maybe more but that's up to you. BD