restart

ESCAPE [discontinued]

The guard checked his reader once more to make sure that he hadn't misread anything. He was to ascertain that all the new candidates for the Games were in their correct cells. Four persons per cell, sixty candidates in total, thirty-two of which were to be eliminated before the official broadcast would start.

"I can't believe they bought all the slaves that Kris Wu guy offered them," he muttered. "He can't even take care of his ship."

He looked through the mirror glass window of Cell #12. The four guys inside looked particularly miserable.

"I think he figured that the guys who almost got the better of Kris Wu probably were worth the money," his colleague shrugged.

The guard browsed through their files and frowned. "They don't sound too special though, considering they're Korean. Water, wind, earth," he read out loud. "Light. You think he's going to try and blind his opponents to death?" he chuckled.

His colleague yawned. "I heard those guys were a bargain and well, you never know. Remember that illusion guy who got his opponent to scratch out his own eyes?"

"He didn't even win that fight though."

"Whatever," his colleague said and walked on. "It was still a classic and that's what counts."

The guard went to Cell #13, the first of those with special security measures.
There were the Russian twins that were sentenced to death because they poisoned  half their village and the other two Kris Wu guys. One of them was asleep, the other seemed to inspect the cell.

"Look, they're the real deal," his colleague said and pointed at the guy who was now crouching on the floor and scratched the tiles. "I heard that guy electrocuted a bunch of normal people."

The guard wasn't very impressed, mostly because the guy didn't look very dangerous. He wasn't so stupid to think that inconspicuous guys weren't good fighters but as a viewer he always preferred the bulky guys with scarred faces. And this was just a short skinny youngster.

"What about him?" he asked and pointed at the sleeping guy.

"I heard he's a trained assassin or something," his colleague said. "He can teleport, that's why they put him in there."

The guard pulled a face. "Did Kris Wu say he was an assassin? There's nothing in his files."

His colleague shrugged again. "I guess."

And the guard shook his head. It was always the same. It was the fourth time now that Kris Wu sold them potential candidates and ever since that Korean bone crusher two years ago had made it to the finals, the buyers seemed to blindly trust him, no matter how often Kris Wu obviously exaggerated in his offers.
The guys Kris Wu brought usually looked young and useless and most of them were just what they seemed but every once in a while there was someone who not only succeeded but also gained a huge followership among the viewers. Personally he didn't like it but the makers were the ones who made the profits, so all he could do was to watch and enjoy the show as much as possible.