Artificial Love (Aoi - GazettE) Chapter 13

Artificial Love (Aoi - GazettE)

Artificial Love: Chapter 13

Kimiko’s POV

Hiroto kept staring at the lady in front until he looked away for the last time and face me. His grip tensed and pulled us towards the balloons. “C’mon Kimiko, we have to find the balloon fast” he searched within the piles of distorted balloons. I nodded my head still a bit confused what had just happened, but I set that aside and focused on what I was told to do. Soon after Aoi and that strange woman got the same idea and went into the pile searching for that one specific balloon as well. Opened hands were pushing away the crowded spaces of balloons; our eyes looked up, down, and side to side. Our faces appeared so frustrated when about 5 to ten minutes had passed.

“Oh Hiroto I’ve found it! Romantic Heart!” I claimed happily. A grimace appeared onto his lips and took of hold of the inflated balloon, putting it between us.  “Now let’s pop it!” he said hugging me so close and tightly for the balloon to choke up. It wasn’t easy as we thought. 4 attempts were already made and we still haven’t popped it yet.

“This is harder than I thought, considering we can’t use one of our arms” he laughed sheepishly. It was startling both of us how awkward the situation feels, but he didn’t show much negative reaction.

“Aoi I found it!~” the woman from the other side shouted happily. He smiled at her kindly taking the balloon from her hand and putting in between them. “This might hurt but bear with me” he muttered under his breath. With the opened arm, his hand trickled up to her spine pulling her closer to him. With an instant, the balloon popped at the first attempt. Those lips of his parted gently into light laughs, curving up to release his bright megawatt smile. “Good job Aoi! Hurry lets go~!” the woman cheered on. They removed themselves from the court running towards the judge to confirm their separation for the track race. With their hands untangling, he ran towards the finish line which looked miles away from where you and Hiroto were.

“Hiroto! They’ve already popped their balloon! We have to hur--” I looked back at Hiroto whose head pointed downwards at the ground as if he were hurt and disturbed.

 “Hiroto? Are you al--” The moment Hiroto raised his head up I was greeted with those familiar eyes with the warmth it gives out, his lip curved a soft smile. “Come on! We can still catch up with them and win this!” his delightful voice rang into my ears. His delicate fingers slithered the middle section of my back and held me close.

“Now, hug as tightly as you can Kimiko!” he said. I did as I was ordered to, pulling him closer than ever. Before we knew it, a loud pop echoed between us. He withdrew another smile, “Yes finally! Let’s go Kimiko!” he pulled me a bit too quick. Once the judge confirmed our separation, we ran quickly towards the track, “Go get em okay?!” I cheered on, he looked down at with those glossy mesmerizing eyes then came down on one side of my face, “Give me strength.” he whispered softly into my ears almost tickling me. He pecked a quick kiss on my hand then gently released it and made a run for it after Aoi.

Misaki’s POV

I once Aoi had departed from me, I cheered on and on. I admit that today was going to be a fun day if he and I were to win this race. “Gooo Aoi! Go!” I shouted and clapped my hands together. 

“Go get em okay?” a woman’s voice came ringing into my ears next to me. It was Hiroto and his partner. My eyes widen in shock mixed with the feeling of hurtfulness, like a knife stabbed right through me. His lips kissed her knuckles; it looked more than just a mere act of kindness he was giving to her. He gave her a thumb up along with a killing smile of his and ran off passing me. It wasn’t like Hiroto was giving me a divided attention after the encounter back at the court, but it seems that I’ve taken my feelings the other direction, turning it into slight jealously. My eyes swayed towards his partner.

“Go go go! Hiroto you can do it! GO!” she shouted happily. Her long pig tails flowing down perfectly, her natural long curled eyelashes, her smile showed her white teeth that shined crystal clean. The attire she wore was a bit strange but cute, strange considering it was way different than mine, compared to me, her style seemed a bit plain and tomboyish, but you can tell it had a little hint of feminine touch to it. She was a very pretty woman who looked strong willed and caring. When her eyes adverted to me, mine quickly turned away. I went back to cheering Aoi.

3rd Person POV

It was now just between Aoi and Hiroto, Aoi running in first followed by Hiroto. Both men ran for their lives towards the finish line that was just a few yards away. They popped the throttle going into this fast raced race until their feet fell off from their body. The crowds roared in excitement and chants, it was incredible how they found it so entertaining. Hiroto having to fasten his pace a little more due to the lack of pressure of popping the balloon, he finally found himself meeting Aoi close next to him.

Aoi took a glance realizing the same thing, when he fastened his pace more, Hiroto would do the same. It was right then they both realize the finish line was right there in front of them, but Hiroto, feeling like he was going out of breath and almost about to collapse any time soon, he slowed his pace leaving Aoi back to first place.

Hiroto closed his eyes for a bit then reopened them as he heard his name across from the other side. The gentle commanding voice that seek his name and cheered for him, Kimiko displayed absolute sincerity like she always appeared to be. His eyes remained fixated to her; the hope that he promised her of winning the race was all over her face. “Don’t give up! You have to win”

[Flash back]

“Let’s do the race” he said out loud, her expression of confusion painted across her face, “eh?” was the only sound that came out of . His fingers curled gently as he turned his body in front of her with a flushing expression.

“I really want to win that Teddy Bear for you. Please, give me a chance to thank you for all you’ve done” he said looking away from her dazzling eyes. Again, he’s left her somewhat flustered. “Thank m-me? w-what have I done? I should be the one thanking you for treating me --”

“Onegai shimasu!” he bowed to her. “I mean, you’ve been so kind and I keep taking your time away from your job every time you stop by at my house for my milk. And plus you always bring snacks for Ryu, so…” he discontinued his sentence figuring she might know what he’s trying to say, and she did. A smile creased from her lips, “Alright then” she said. “Let’s win this race then okay? No excuses.” She added. He lifted his head with a smile, “Right!”

[End of flashback]

“Right, I have to win…” he mumbled to himself. Hiroto returned to his usual cunning attitude, and ran into a faster pace once again, only this time he ran towards the point where he felt he had no control of his legs as they continued to lead him forward. The last thing that went on his mind was that there was absolutely no way he could let Aoi win, especially if he were to do it for Misaki. No, not for her, she has no right to win this competition he thought.  

Aoi, thinking that he was surely going to win fastened his pace to get this race over with and win the reward for Misaki. It was the only thing that matter to him, seeing her smile with the prize in her hand, that’s what he wanted to see, her happiness. Suddenly to his surprise, he realized Hiroto was right next to him again. His eyes adverted towards his own with determination in his eyes, it was like saying ‘There’s no way I’ll let you win’.

Hiroto’s eyes then turned away seeing the finish line right before him, he found it hard to breathe all of a sudden, the air too choking, or perhaps his own tears had clogged him up from within, preventing him from attaining oxygen just to breathe, just to breathe normally again. But despite that, it didn’t matter to him. “KIMIKO!” he screamed her name on top of his lungs towards the point where it hurt this throat. It had frightened and surprised Aoi, leaving him in shock as Hiroto passed right through him almost at the speed of light. “Kimiko!” He heard Hiroto yell once more. He bit his lop continuously, chewing it so hard it could bleed.

The crowds roared with anticipation and clapping their hands Hiroto smiled and made a jump for it. It was like slow motion, his body was flying across through the thin rope, ripping it pass the line. “WOOOOOO! YEAAHHH! WOOOT!” the crowds cheered on.

Kimiko’s POV

My eyes widened, Hiroto had won, he won!”Hiroto!” I screamed his name with tears in my eyes. I ran to him as he slowly slowed his pace coming towards me. “HIROTO YOU WON YOUWON!!~” I shouted in a happy tone, my arms stretched towards him. His stiff yet trembling legs suddenly lose their balance and immediately collapsed as he landed into my arms. “Hiroto! Oh my gosh, Hiroto! Are you alright? Oh no, you shouldn’t have overworked yourself.” His breathing was hard; his eyes loomed over as the small droplets of salty sweat dripped down against the sides of his face.

“No its okay, we won Kimiko, that’s all that matters. Now we can get that bear you wanted right?” He breathed smiling. For some reason, there, deep inside, my heart was fluttered and was beating fast, I knew exactly what this feeling was; suddenly I broke into a wider smile, “Thank you…very much” I said quietly almost about to cry myself.

The announcer came to us to see if everything was alright, once we made our answer she went up towards the podium and took the microphone into her hands, “EVERY BODY, GIVE IT UP FOR HIROTO AND KIMKO FOR WINNING TODAY’S ROMANTIC HEART RACE!” she congratulated us along with the huge crowds that watched from the very beginning, even his band mates were there, cheering us on.

When my eyes looked around the course, I spotted the disappointed Aoi with his partner next to him. It seemed that she was trying to tell him it was alright, but Aoi didn’t seem to take it in very easily until somehow with a killing smile of hers, he seemed to melt to it and let it go just like that. It was strange to me now more than ever, is she that girl Aoi longed for?

[Fast Forward]

It was already seven pm, the sky was dark but it was filled with shinning stars with the full moon lighting brightly. I found myself walking around with the huge teddy bear in my arms feeling happy as ever. “Thank you so much Hiroto, I’ll treasure this forever!” I said ever so happily.

“No problem, you know you don’t have to say thank you anymore, it’s been said a couple of times already throughout the day, this was the 17th time you’ve said it to me” he chuckled.  

“Still, you had to go through with all that running and ended up falling… speaking of which, are you sure you’re alright? I mean with the leg and all?” I asked worriedly. He kneeled down a couple of times and stretched his legs, then jumping up and down once. “Does that answer your question?” he asked, light chuckles slipped out of me as I laughed at his postures mini exercise moves.

“Yes it sure does” I nodded while still laughing. We ended up at the entrance of the subway station knowing it was time to depart from each other to go home. “You sure you’ll be fine on your own?” he had asked worriedly. “Yep, don’t worry, I’ll be fine, I’m a strong girl, if anyone tries to kidnap me I’ll crush them within seconds” I proudly said, which made him chuckle for a moment. “Alright then, I guess I have nothing to worry about then” he said.

 “Yeah, well, I guess this is goodbye then” I bowed at him, “Thanks for today, I had a wonderful time.” I added.

“I’m glad you did, and you’re welcome.” He grinned; his soft brown orbs peered back into mine with a sincere look. He inched himself slowly over to me. “Well…”A smile tugged at his lips, “Goodnight then…” then he was leaned in closely towards one side of my face, a soft moisture of his warm lips pecked a small kiss on my cheek. My own eyes slowly widened as my head turned downwards. My chest sped up, my own heart beat, and I felt like I was going to die at any moment.

“See you in the morning” he waved off with a smile and walked away. Plainly, I waved back at him and whispered to myself goodbye to him as he went into the crowds and disappeared from my sight. My hands enveloped the teddy bear tightly.

“I’ll definitely treasure today…” I smiled to myself, blushing madly.

“He’s quite a gentleman isn’t he?” voice came out of nowhere.  I looked towards the side, finding the woman who was with Aoi from earlier in the race next to me. She withdrew a smile and held out her hand, “Sorry, I didn’t introduce myself, I’m Misaki. Koyama Misaki” She greeted me.

“H-Hello” I greeted back, as I almost took her hand she pulled it away very quickly. “Oh sorry I mean…” he exchanged the handshake to a proper bow. “I’m sorry, I been to the states for quite too long… haha, must have gotten used to of the whole hand shaking thing. Sorry!” she apologized. 

  “N-no no, its fine, I understand.” I shook my hand. There was an awkward silent for a moment. So she was Misaki after all I thought. I realized she was very soft spoken, and quite shy.

“If you don’t mind, would you like to go get coffee with me?” she asked.

[Fast Forward]

 I found myself sitting with Misaki inside a magnificent looking café just a few blocks away from the station after the ride here. The place was relatively small, but it was doing good business I assumed. Tables were stretched out evenly, the tea cup sets looked expensive. But other than that, I was stuck in an awkward moment between Misaki and I, so awkward I decided to lift my tea cup and took a sip from it and wander my eyes for a bit a couple of times, until she ‘ahem’ randomly, breaking the silence finally.

“So, um, miss…”

“Kimiko, Horiuchi Kimiko” I answered rather quietly. She smiled at me with an embarrassed face, “Miss Horiuc--”

“Please, call me Kimiko, it sounds a bit weird when I’m called by my last name” I chuckled a bit awkwardly. With a warm smile she nodded her head and chuckled as well, before she were to continue on, she took a small sip of her cup.

“Um, I know this whole situation is weird and all, you know, since we’ve just met today and…” she paused looking away from me and started to fiddle her fingers together nervously. “Well, I know this might sound a bit rude for intruding into your personal life, but I just wanted to know, what’s your relationship with Hiroto?” she asked.

My eyes slightly widened to her question, “Why do you want to know?” I asked, she bit her bottom lip while her eyes swayed away from mine timidly. “Oh well that is, he’s…I…it’s hard to say.” She said softly.

“Are you one of his acquaintances?” I asked. She smiled unsurely, “hmm, I guess you could say that.” She said, taking another sip from her cup leading into another silence. My eyes lowered down to my tea cup, “Um, well, he and I are just really good friends, that’s all.” I answered. Her eyes sparked up in surprise.

“Really?!” she said rather loudly, her finger tips quickly reached her lips as her eyes looked around when she realized how loud she sprung up. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to be that loud” she chuckled in embarrassment.

“What about you and the guy you were with?” I asked randomly. She looked at me with those confused eyes as he tilted her head slightly. Within seconds, she knew who I was talking about and smiled.

“Oh Aoi?! He’s just a friend of mine I met years ago. He’s really a nice guy, he’s caring and quite a gentleman if I do say so myself” she answered. I nearly choked on my drink from both being surprise and from holding my laughter in.

‘NICE?! CARING?! A GENTLEMAN?! WHAT?! NOOO NOOOO!’ I laughed inside my own mind mentally. A few coughs escaped my mouth as I tried to regain my breathing from all the amusement.

“Kimiko! Are you alright? Was it something I said? What’s wrong?” she tapped my shoulder gently with a worried some expression.

“I’m alright, s-sorry” I half smiled and continued to cough lightly now. I began to position myself back properly, “I’m sorry, it’s just that, I’ve heard differently about him” I said truthfully from my own experiences with that idiot.

“Oh really? what have you heard?”

“Oh such and such, I’ll tell you this, I heard that he’s a major sore loser who’s a pain to handle, he’s such a jerk at times, if anyone who pisses him off, he’ll threaten them and make them his slaves and work them in a completely arduous manner, and he acts so pompous like he’s better than anyone which gets really annoying towards the point you want to punch him so hard that you’ll break his whole face and—“ I stopped myself from  going any further. Looking at Misaki’s expression, it was filled with horror and shock; formed a crooked smile with her eyes slightly widened weirdly.

“R-Really now? Gosh… That’s really surprising… but it’s really cruel from someone to say that about him. All those facts are wrong.” She paused. “Aoi is really an incredible guy, he’s actually very caring, and a kind person. Sure he might have his temper get the best of him but despite all that… he’s really someone who could lend you a hand or even a shoulder when you’re going through a hard time. He’s an extraordinary person and an admirable friend.” She said so defensively but in a way so light and soft.

“So do you like him?” I asked.

“Eh?” she popped her head up a bit too fast. “I never said anything like that.”

“But you did say you admire him” I shot back.

“Oh well… not in that way. Just someone to look up too I guess, I meant it as a friendly way nothing romantic.” she answered. “I actually like someone else…” she added.

“Hm? Who would that be if I may ask.” I questioned.

“Oh, just someone I knew for a very long time.” she answered. “But I’m afraid he’s looking at someone right this moment, but you know, I might still have a chance to get him.” She added with a smile. “But anyways, so you and Hiroto aren’t going out or anything? You guys are just friends right?” she asked once more.

“Nope. And yes we are really good friends” I nodded my head. “Why are you so interested anyways?”

Misaki’s POV

“Why are you so interested anyways?” she had asked me in a curious yet with an alarmed tone.

“Oh, I was just curious, you know, he’s quite famous and all, and being a friend of his, if he were to have a girlfriend, I wanted to see what kind of a person she is first… you know, just so that she’s not one of those bad girls who would ditch him right away.” I lied.

She relaxed her eyes and closed them nodding her head for the last time before getting up and ready to leave. “I see, well, it’s nice to have someone like you to look out for him.” She said kindly. “We need more people like you in this world you know that? There the people who change the world.” She complimented me.  Once I paid the bill, we headed outside where she stopped and told me it was late and time for us to separate.

“It was nice meeting you Kimiko, I’m glad we’ve met” I bowed down.

“Hai, same here, well take care now.” She waved goodbye and stared walking the other way. I lifted my arm and waved back until I couldn’t see her insight anymore. My smile faded away and my eyes went back down relaxed in disappointment when I stopped waving.

“Are you really just a ‘friend ‘of his? Hiroto’s…”  I whispered so quietly. Even so, back there… when Hiroto’s lips touch her soft pink cheeks, his eyes, and his sweet smile towards her… It looked more than just a mere friendly kiss on the cheek. My fingers curled into a grip form, I know I shouldn’t deserve him, after what I’ve done to him two years ago. But…

“I have to tell him the truth. This could be my only chance, before she completely steals his heart away.” I muttered in the cold night.

To be continued.