0000QA

Marketplace Layouts How-To

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

Updated: March 10th, 2014

There are currently 30 questions and answers in this section. If you ask a question, I will probably give you an answer. Use CTRL+F to find keywords.

 

Do the content tags have to be all in uppercase?
Yes, in this situation, always.

What are content tags?
Refer to UNDERSTANDING CONTENT TAGS.

Do you take layout requests?
Feel free to throw suggestions at me but no, I do not take personal requests (unless you are that one person).

Do you make shop layouts?
What are those? No.

Will you make specific instructions for other users' layouts?
No. I am not obligated to do so.

Can I apply the layout to my profile or blog posts?
No. Currently, you can only apply the layout to description, foreword, and chapters.

What do I do if the layout has more than four content?
First, read a FOUR CONTENT TAG LAYOUT, then add start tags and end tags for additional contents (ie. [CONTENTID5] [/CONTENTID5] [CONTENTID6] [/CONTENTID6]) Insert your text as you would the other tags (between the start tag and the end tag). If you still need more references and examples, read UNDERSTANDING CONTENT TAGS.

What do you mean by start tag and end tag?
Start tags do not have the slash symbol (ie. [CONTENTID1], [CONTENTID2], etc). They begin your content. End tags have the slash symbol (ie. [/CONTENTID1], [/CONTENTID2], etc). They end your content.

I followed the instructions but I still can't get rid of the [CONTENTID2] [CONTENTID3].
Go back to your editing mode and double check that you typed in all the tags correctly. They must be in all CAPS (uppercase). There must be a start tag and an end tag for all contents. The most common mistake is forgetting the slash in the end tag (ie. [/CONTENTID1]).

Is there a way to delete layouts that I bought but no longer want?
Currently, no.

Can I style my text... like change the font, make it bold, or change its size and color?
Yes. Do it as you normally would but be discreet about it. Be sure the content tags are clear of any styling. To clear styling/format, highlight the tags and click "Remove Format," the Tx button in the editing tool bar (it is located at the end of the section with Bold, Italic, Underline).

How do I make it so my text looks like the text shown on the layout in the Marketplace?
Highlight everything including your text and the content tags. Clear all format by clicking "Remove Format," the Tx button in the editing tool bar (it is located at the end of the section with BoldItalicUnderline).

Will there be any free layouts?
Most likely. I sometimes set a layout to FREE! for a while (up to a week) before setting it at 10 karma points like the rest.

Will older layouts become FREE! in the future?
No. Once they hit "10 karma points" status, it is final.

Why do you charge karma points for your layouts? They're so simple! Other people have more complicated looking layouts and they're free.
Feel free to use other people's layouts or make your own. I set my layouts to 10 karma points because I have been doing so since I started. It is also to discourage freeloaders and people who go down the list buying every FREE! layout simply because it is FREE! I sometimes set a new layout to FREE! Get lucky and catch those if you are low on karma points.

What stories are those in the layout previews?
Layout #1-96: They are old one-shots and abandon stories written by BleedLikeMe (the stories that are not posted on AFF). Do not post it elsewhere without her consent. She can take comfort in the fact that they now serve a greater purpose... by being my text holder. I prefer it to the generic "lorem ipsum" and the idiotically dull "text here, text here, words, words, words." The stories can also be found at the following locations: One // Two // Three. Layout #97+: Expired copyright classics.

What if it shows [CONTENTID#]Your text here.[/CONTENTID#] in the marketplace layout? Will it also work?
No, that layout will not work. It must be in this format: {CONTENTID#}.

Can I be your friend?
Why would you want to?

I tried everything you suggested in making the text look exactly like the one in the marketplace. Why does my first line (first paragraph before skipping a line) look different than the rest?
Go to source and delete the start span tag and the end span tag surrounding your first line (first paragraph). Change all div tags to p tags.

For fonts, what is the difference between Serifs and San-serifs?
Serifs have little details on the edge of the letters (ie. Times New Roman, Georgia, Cambria, Lucida Grande). San-serifs do not have little details on the edge of the letters (ie. Arial, Verdana, Tacoma, Trebuchet MS). For readability, you are suggested to use Serifs for Small, Medium, Large, X-Large text and San-serifs for X-Small and Small text.

Will you be posting tutorials on how to make layouts?
No, those tutorials already exist. Plus, I am an amateur and will always be an amateur.

Do I need to credit you for the layout in my foreword or description if I use it?
No, you are not required to.

What does 'Mobile-friendly' mean in the layout description?
Mobile-friendly means the width of the layout will resize according to your screen width.

What program/software do you use to make your layouts?
I use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Lite for animated gif making, general manipulations, and texture. I use Live Brush for some drawings. Structuring the layout using html/css, I just type it all in, in one big paragraph. If you check the source code, you'll know what I mean. The wife sometimes draws in Live Brush, Doodlers, something on her Kindle, and a very old version of Adobe Illustrator with a Wacom graphic tablet. Then, I borrow it. YOLO.

Can you send me the raw codes for the layouts? I already bought them.
No. Use them in the way they are meant to be used. 80% of my layouts have elements that will not save properly for re-editing, background images will disappear and styles will warp.

Do you make apply fic and roleplay layouts?
What are tho—No.

How do I leave a CONTENTID# (text area) blank?
Leave a space where your text should go (ie. [CONTENTID1] [/CONTENTID1]). You probably do not have to leave a space but doing so will help remind you the chosen content tag is empty.

Why aren't you accepting my friends request? I want to be friends.
I only accept those who know the wife (so I can stalk them too).

After applying the layout, my comment area looks messed up. How do I fix it?
There is probably a start tag for p, span, bold, italic, underline, etc. without it's corresponding end tag. Select all your text including the content tags and clear style/format. To clear styling/format, highlight all text and click "Remove Format," the Tx button in the editing tool bar (it is located at the end of the section with BoldItalicUnderline). If the problem persists, copy and paste your source (accessed by clicking "source" on the editing tool bar) onto pastebin.com and send me the link.

Where do you find the animated gifs for your layouts?
I animate all the gifs myself. I am tired of seeing the same animated gifs used over and over again (especially the rain one and the sakura petal one... you should know the ones I am referring to). The only way to change it up is make them myself and that is what I do.