Chapter 25

Illusions

Alone in her bedroom, Charmaine laid in bed staring up into the darkness. The memory of her encounter with Raymond remained fresh in her mind. She absently touched her bruised elbow and flinched at the sudden jolt of pain. She never thought that he would hurt her physically but after tonight, she wasn’t sure anymore. All the things that he had done so far showed her how ruthless and cruel he actually was. Knowing this, how can she still harbor any feelings of love for him. Yet, when she thought about it now, the look on his face when he realized what he had done was not something you can fake. Raymond had looked ashamed, upset and heartbroken. Maybe this was just her imagination that he looked heartbroken but he definitely looked ashamed. She sat up in bed and switched on the lamp on her nightstand. Opening a draw she pulled out a small photo album. In it were the pictures she had taken with Raymond during their short-lived marriage. She stared at the faces in the pictures and thought they looked happy. Slowly she went over Raymond’s expression in every picture. She had to stop thinking about him. It wasn’t doing her any good. Obviously he had never felt anything for her except responsibility for their baby. The moment she lost the baby he didn’t want to have anything more to do with her. That was a fact in that he never contacted her during these five years. With teary eyes she closed the album and returned it to her draw.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond sat behind his desk in his home office twirling a glass of wine that he barely drank. His thoughts kept returning to images of Charmaine staring back at him with wounded eyes and accusation. He didn’t know what possessed him to hurt her like that. It has been five long years and he still can’t erase her completely from his thoughts. During these years, he kept himself busy so that he won’t have time to even think about her. He thought he had succeeded but the moment he saw her again it all came flooding back. At times he hated her with a vengeance but then whenever he looked into her mesmerizing eyes, he would feel his heart flutter and the love that he once felt for her would rekindle. He laughed at himself for being a lovesick fool. No more was he going to let her get away with disrupting his life. He had been more than willing to forgive her and forget their past. But then she had the business deal that he had been anticipating pulled from underneath him. Apparently, going their separate ways wasn’t enough for her. She was out to get him and he wasn’t going to let her succeed. For every blow she dishes out, he would strike back twice as hard.

“Raymond, I’m coming in,” Frankie called from the door and then it was opened and he stepped in with a grave expression.

“You look like hell,” Raymond commented, thoughts of Charmaine forgotten, as he took in Frankie’s disheveled appearance.

“I just got a call,” Frankie said slowly, his face leveled on Raymond’s, “Steven’s father just passed away.”

Raymond stood up abruptly, his heart slamming at the news, “How?”

“He had a heart attack. He didn’t even make it to the hospital,” Frankie said as he slumped down on a nearby chair.

Raymond was visibly upset by the news. Steven’s father had been like a father to him. He had given Raymond the opportunity that no one in their social class would have done. Without him, Raymond would not be the successful man he is today. Sitting back down in his chair he asked, “Does Steven know?

Frankie nodded, “He should. I asked someone to notify him.” He looked at Raymond thoughtfully then said, “There’s something you should also know.”

“What?” Raymond asked.

“Now that Steven’s father passed away, the company will be under Steven. Their company has been on the verge of bankruptcy for the past year. Basically Steven would be taking over an empty shell with a dozen of creditors on their back. What I want to know is whether you plan on helping him out, for the sake of his father.”

Raymond already had the answer to that. With a slight smile he said, “You know I will. Although I dislike Steven I wouldn’t want him down in the dumps. After all, his father had been extremely generous with us and I owe him that much.”

Frankie nodded with approval, “I knew you would. First thing tomorrow I’m going to make some calls to the creditors and see what type of arrangements we can agree to.”

“It seems you already have everything planned out. You’re always one step ahead of me, as usual,” Raymond said with admiration. The two brothers shared a chuckle.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Steven closed his phone, his face ashen by the news he was just given. He turned to Mr. Seh, grief and misery all over his face, “My father just passed away,” he said numbly.

Mr. Seh was stunned by the news but it didn’t defer him from his reason for calling Steven over, “I’m sorry to hear that but we have more important things to discuss.”

Steven was shocked by Mr. Seh’s cold attitude and was angered by the man’s indifference upon hearing the news, “My father just passed away,” he repeated more slowly.

“I heard you the first time,” Mr. Seh retorted as he stared hard at Steven daring him to challenge him. “And like I said, we have more important things to discuss.”

Steven shook his head with disbelief as he backed towards the door, “Nothing is more important than me going to see my father for the last time.”

Mr. Seh slammed his fist on the desk causing Steven to involuntarily jump at the loud sound. He pointed a finger at Steven, his eyes menacing as he snidely said, “You don’t leave until I say you can. If you do I promise you’ll regret it.”

Steven gave him one last look then without another word turned and left, slamming the door behind him.