Chapter 26

Illusions

Raymond and Frankie walked into the funeral home. Guests have already lined up the first three rows. After paying tribute to Steven’s father, they stopped in front of Steven and bowed their head in condolences. Raymond spoke softly, “I’m sorry about your father. He was a great man.”

Steven looked up and for the first time with neither hate nor contempt at Raymond. He nodded his head slowly, fighting back the tears that threatened to shame him in front of so many guests. “Thanks,” he murmured sincerely.

Raymond and Frankie took seats towards the rear of the parlor as the next guests arrived.

Charmaine walked in with her father. She knelt beside Steven and took his hand, “How are you holding up?” she asked.

Steven lifted tear glazed eyes and smiled briefly at her, “I’m doing the best I can under the circumstances.”

Charmaine hugged him and whispered, “If you need anything I’m right here.”

“Thank you,” Steven said then squeezed her hand.

Mr. Seh didn’t utter a single word as he walked behind Charmaine to two empty seats. He felt eyes on him and he turned to locate the source. When he did, he found Raymond staring at them, his face devoid of emotion. Only his eyes betrayed the hostility he felt for them. Mr. Seh lifted his lips in a cruel taunting smile. Charmaine felt her father stall and asked, “Is something wrong?”

Mr. Seh turned his attention to her and reassured, “Of course not. I was just saying hello to someone.”

Charmaine wasn’t aware that Raymond was present. She took her father’s elbow and assisted him to his chair. Instead of sitting down, her father said, “I have to make a phone call,” then he walked out of the room.

Raymond glowered with anger as Mr. Seh walked jauntily out. The old man still hasn’t changed at all, he thought. Still snooty as ever and thinks that he’s undefeatable. His turned his gaze on Charmaine’s profile. She was sitting in a front row to his right. Her eyes stared blankly ahead, her face withdrawn. She appeared tired and fatigue, dark circles under her hollow eyes. She seemed lost in thought and he found himself wondering what she was thinking about.

Charmaine felt herself being watched. She turned in that direction and met Raymond’s unfaltering gaze. She quickly turned away and lowered her eyes. Her pulse accelerated and she felt the shortness of her breaths. She couldn’t understand why this man, who has hurt her time and time again, could have such an effect on her. Without missing a beat, she stood up and left the room.

Raymond saw her leave and nudged Frankie, “I’ll be back.”

Frankie’s hand shot out and grabbed his arm, “Where are you going?” He knew of course. The moment Charmaine and her father entered the parlor, he had seen the change in Raymond.

“I need to make a phone call,” Raymond said casually.

“Now?” Frankie persisted, “Whoever you plan on calling can wait. We’ll be leaving soon anyway.”

Raymond gently removed his arm from Frankie’s clutch and said, “It’ll only take a minute.”

“You’re going to look for her aren’t you?” Frankie accused, his eyes narrowed with disapproval. “After all the things that she’s done to you why do you keep going back for more? Can’t you just forget about her?”

“I’m not,” Raymond denied vehemently. “I have no feelings towards her anymore. I’m just going out to make a quick call.”

Frankie leaned back in his chair. He looked at Raymond with resignation and softly said, “You can lie to me all you want but don’t lie to yourself.”

Raymond knew it was pointless to argue with Frankie. Frankie could read him like a book. Instead of responding to Frankie’s comment, he said, “I’ll be back,” and headed out the door. He walked down the corridor and made a turn at the corner and found Charmaine perched on a bench by the water fountain. He stood back looking at her and felt his heart tighten. The memories of them together flashed through him along with a feeling of desperate need to be with her again.

Charmaine stared at the cup of water in her hand. She looked up when she heard footsteps approaching and saw Raymond walking towards her. Dropping the paper cup in a waste basket, she tried to breeze past him but he blocked her. She glared at him and asked impatiently, “What do you want now?”

Her glare and sharp tone annoyed him. He had been entirely forgiving for all her misdeeds and yet here she was giving him attitude. One would think that she was the injured party! Controlling his own sudden volatile temper, he said, “I want to talk about us.”

Charmaine continued to glare at him, “There is no us,” Charmaine bit out, “You made that clear five years ago.”

Raymond didn’t know why she was being so defensive when she was the one who gave up on their relationship, “You left me no choice,” he replied curtly.

“Me?” Charmaine asked in a shaky voice then fired out, “You had a choice! And your choice was not caring enough to come back and see me.”

Raymond was incensed by her senseless accusations. Did she really expected him to come back crawling after she aborted their baby and asked for a divorce? Sarcastically, he asked, “Why would I want to see you after what you did!”

“What’s going on?” Mr. Seh’s voice boomed as he quickly walked towards them. He saw Charmaine’s agitated face and placed a protective arm around her. Staring coldly at Raymond he warned, “Stay away from her or else!”

Raymond was undaunted by Mr. Seh’ threat and barely glanced at him. His attention remained focused on Charmaine. Since meeting her, his life was never the same. He hated her right now for putting the fault of their failed relationship on him but he hated himself more for thinking that he wanted to be with her again. He gave her a scathing look and said aloud, “I wonder what I ever saw in you.” He then walked away abruptly.