Chapter 16

Illusions

Raymond walked into the restaurant and immediately located Bosco. He was in deep conversation with a pretty woman who seemed to hang onto his every word. With a grin he walked over, “Hey Bosco.”

Bosco hugged his friend and slapped his back, “You’re late! For a second there I didn’t think you would come.”

Raymond looked at his watch and chuckled, “Actually I’m right on time. You said 6:30 pm.”

Bosco looked behind him, “Where’s Frankie? This party is for him too.”

“He’s running a bit late. You know what a workaholic he is. He needs to finish reading a document before he can relax,” Raymond said as he took a glass of champagne from a passing waiter and surveyed the spectacular room. “This is a nice restaurant. You really went out for me. I told you you didn’t have to.”

Bosco smiled warmly as he said, “I know but I want to. What are friends for?” He turned to Selena, “I want you to meet Raymond Lam. One of my very best friend.”

Selena extended her hand towards Raymond’s, “Nice to meet you. Bosco speaks very highly of you.”

Raymond shook her hand and laughed softly, “Bosco? You mean he didn’t describe me as an ugly duckling with an IQ of a five year old?”

Bosco laughed and teased, “Would I do that to you? Give me some credit. I know when to lie.”

Raymond smiled at Selena, “Good luck with him,” he warned and the three of them laughed.

Selena took a sip from her glass and asked, “How are you enjoying Hong Kong so far?”

“A lot of things have changed since I was last here and yet they still seem the same.” He lifted an eyebrow at her, “Does that make any sense to you?”

Selena giggled as she searched his face, “Yes it does. The place is still the same only you’ve changed. From what I heard about you from the news you were very poor before you left for the states.”

Raymond nodded solemnly, “I was. I don’t deny that.”

Selena looked at him then said, “I really haven’t been following the news about you. Only bits and pieces since the announcement of your return, which by the way is huge news to us here. Do you mind telling me yourself how you became one of the top ten wealthiest men in the world? Maybe I could learn a thing or two,” she added with humor.

Raymond could not help but like her. Not romantically but he felt that she would make a great and loyal friend. She seemed so genuine and real, unlike all the women he had transacted with since making it big. “Perhaps we can meet again another time and I’ll give you a few pointers,” Raymond said with a wry grin. “Are you available for dinner tomorrow night?”

Selena knew from the smile on Raymond’s face and the warmth in his eyes that he was merely being friendly and not hitting on her. She didn’t know why but Raymond gave her a feeling of brotherly love which she found puzzling since she just met him and she didn’t have any brothers to compare him to. She gave him a wide smile to match his and replied, “I’ll make myself available for you.”

Hearing her response, Bosco made a face and whined, “Hello??? I’m still standing here.”

Raymond turned to Bosco and leaned in and whispered into his ear, “She’s a gem. I say keep her.”

Selena couldn’t hear what Raymond said to Bosco but by the sudden flush on Bosco’s face, she knew it was about her. She stood with hands on hips and demanded of Raymond, “What did you just say to him?”

Before Bosco could utter a word his attention diverted to the entrance of the restaurant. He took Selena’s arm and with a nod gestured for her to look, “There’s Kenneth and Charmaine.”

Raymond turned towards the same direction and his heart slammed against his chest. He couldn’t seem to be able to breathe as he struggled with each breath he took. Standing before his eyes was the woman who tore his life apart five years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Charmaine walked into the restaurant with Kenneth and she had an uncanny feeling that something was amiss. She held back and Kenneth turned to look inquiringly at her, “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“I don’t know. I’m getting a bad vibe,” she said and by the look on Kenneth’s face, she knew she sounded silly.

Kenneth squeezed her hand and said reassuringly, “It’s just a dinner party and most of the people you know.”

Charmaine looked at him and said forlornly, “I know. I guess I’m just overworked and stressed out.”

Kenneth patted her hand, “I promise I’ll drive you home right after dinner.”

“And dinner for a week,” Charmaine reminded him with a chuckle. “My choice of restaurants.”

“Yes, Yes,” Kenneth put in, “You’ve been mentioning it all through the ride here. Women are such nags!”

Charmaine smiled and said, “And you have to include Selena too.”

Kenneth turned to her with a gleam in his eyes and teased, “Ok, anything else my King?”

Charmaine lifted her nose and said, “That’s all for now my lowly servant.”

Kenneth laughed at that remark, “Servant huh?” He turned when he heard someone calling his name. He saw Bosco and beside him was Selena and even from the distance he could see their clasped hands. So that’s who she is seeing, he thought to himself. Standing on the other side of Bosco was a man that looked vaguely familiar to Kenneth. He remembered seeing him some place before but can’t quite put his finger on where or when. He placed a hand on Charmaine’s back as he began guiding her towards Bosco, “I know who is Selena’s secret boyfriend,” he said softly. “They’re over there.”

Charmaine looked and halted in mid-step. Raymond! What was he doing here? She felt her stomach turn at the sight of him. She never wanted to see him again for as long as she lived! She clenched her fists to fight down the urge to run up and slap him. In a voice she hoped would conceal her raw emotions, she said, “Kenneth, I’m not feeling well right now. Do you mind if I left?”

Kenneth turned to look at her with concern, “What’s wrong?”

“I-I…” Charmaine began but didn’t get a chance to finish because Selena and Bosco were already upon them and two steps behind was Raymond staring coldly at her with a deadly expression on his face.