Chapter 9

Illusions

Raymond stared unseeingly at the ceiling above in the near darkness. Charmaine lay beside him with her back to him. He replayed the scene with her father and Mr. Seh’s words echoed in his ears. Mr. Seh was right. How can he give Charmaine all the things that she deserved. He had been concentrating solely on keeping her and their baby by his side that he didn’t stop to think whether she would be content living with him. Charmaine didn’t have any idea how he really felt about her and their baby and he was afraid to open up to her. He knew she was going through a lot of changes now, with living away from home for the first time and being pregnant. Telling her how he felt might add to her already flowing burden. Besides, he couldn’t bear to hear her tell him that the only reason they got married was because of the baby. She did say that she wanted a divorce right after the baby was born. But that was before they spent the past few days together. Raymond hoped that somehow she was beginning to have deeper feelings for him. He was already in love with her. Had been since their first night together. He turned his head slightly to stare at the back of her head.

Charmaine turned over and through the sliver of moonlight illuminating the room, she saw that Raymond was still awake and looking straight at her. She snuggled close to him and placed a hand on his chest, “Can’t sleep?”

Raymond clutched her hand with his own and leaned his head down on top of hers. “I was just thinking.”

“About what?” Charmaine asked.

“About us,” Raymond said then lifted himself away from her. He leaned on an elbow to look down at her, “I know you said you wanted a divorce right after the baby is born, do you still want that?”

Charmaine was surprised by the question. It was true that she once said that but now a divorce was far from her mind, “Why are you asking this?"

Raymond looked away from her as he sat up, “I’m just thinking that if we do get a divorce after the baby is born, how will we share custody.”

Charmaine was alarmed by his words. He was already thinking about leaving her . He’s regretting everything already and so soon. She felt sick at the prospect of not having him in her life anymore. Their time together was short but to Charmaine, it had been the most meaningful and happiest time in her entire life. Struggling to control her emotions she softly said, “I’ll think of something tomorrow.”

Raymond heard the crack in her voice and turned to look at her. She avoided his eyes and mumbled, “I need to use the bathroom.”

Raymond reached out grabbed her hand pulling her back down onto the bed, “Why are you crying?”

Charmaine brushed his hand away, still refusing to meet his eyes, “I’m not. I’m just tired.”

Raymond didn’t believe her and placed his hands on her shoulders, “Can you tell me how you’re really feeling?”

Charmaine shook her head then suddenly she fell into his arms, her hands wrapping tightly around his waist, “I’m scared,” she cried.

Raymond held her as he soothingly rubbed her back, “Don’t be scared. I’m here. I’ll always be here for as long as you want me to.”

Charmaine pulled away to look at him, “Do you really mean it?”

Raymond smiled at her, a glint in his eyes, “Nothing can tear me away from you.” He hugged her to him then whispered into her ear, “I promise.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

After Raymond and Charmaine left, Mr. Seh made a phone call requesting the person to meet him at his house as soon as possible. A knock on his study door informed him that his guest had arrived. He called out “Come in.”

Steven walked in with a grin on his face. “What’s the urgency in me coming here so late Mr. Seh?”

“Have a seat. I have something to discuss with you,” Mr. Seh motioned for him to sit down.

Curiously, Steven asked, “About?”

“Charmaine,” was all Mr. Seh said.

The name caused Steven to frown in confusion, “Charmaine? What does she have to do with me?”

Mr. Seh smiled and ignored the question. He stood up and walked over to the mini bar pouring himself a hefty shot of brandy then offered a glass to Steven, which he declined. When he was again seated back in his own chair, he asked conversationally, “How are things between you and your father these days?”

Steven looked gloomily at Mr. Seh as a sour expression set on his face, “The same. My father has become so unreasonable that I don’t even want to talk to him anymore.”

“Your father and I are good friends you know,” Mr. Seh stated slowly. “I may be able to put in a good word for you and change the impression he has of you.”

Unsure as to why Mr. Seh would do that, Steven asked, “Why would you do that for me?”

Mr. Seh looked pointedly at Steven and said, “I have a proposition for you. I can make sure that your father signs everything over to you in no time if you do me one little favor.”

Steven’s interest was piqued since he couldn't fathom what Mr. Seh needed of him, “What do you want me to?”

Mr. Seh sat forward in his chair as he stared intently at Steven, “I want your help in getting back at Raymond Lam.”

“Raymond Lam?” Steven repeated then said, “He’s just an employee of my father’s. What has he done to you?”

Mr. Seh was never one to mince words. He stared at Steven and said coldly, “Whatever transpire between us tonight will be kept a secret. Do we understand each other?” Steven gulped at the coldness in the other man’s eyes and nodded. “Raymond and Charmaine are married.”

Steven was shocked by the news, “What? Married?”

Taking care to control his fury, Mr. Seh continued, “He got Charmaine pregnant. You and I both know how gullible she is. She doesn’t know that men like Raymond Lam are money-hungry lechers. I want your help in breaking them up.”

“But, she’s pregnant. Don’t you want your grandchild to have a father?”

“No,” Mr. Seh said roughly, “Because there won’t be a grandchild. When the time comes, you just make sure that Raymond believes that Charmaine had an abortion and I'll take care of the rest.”

Steven felt a tremor hearing Mr. Seh's words. Slowly, he nodded his head in consent.