Chapter 45

Illusions

Looking in the mirror Charmaine smoothed a tendril of hair from her face. She took a step back and eyed her own reflection. Her face was aglow with happiness as she swirled to her right then her left. She rubbed her palms together in anxiety and glanced at the clock on the wall. It was time. Carefully, she lifted the hem of her dress and walked to the door. The door swung open before she had a chance to open it. Raymond stood smiling at her, handsome as ever in an elegant black tuxedo adorn with a silver cravat and matching cumbersome. The silver accessories seemed to make his eyes come to life. He walked into the room and closed the door softly behind him.

“Finally, a chance to be alone,” he said in a chiding tone as he clasped her hands.

Charmaine giggled at his comment and teased, “Just a few more hours to go and then we’ll have the rest of our lives together.”

Raymond rested his hands on her waist as he looked down at her, “Seems as if I’ve been waiting a life time for this.”

Charmaine smiled in agreement, then her face turned serious, “Thanks for forgiving my father.”

Raymond continued to stare at her, his voice husky as he said, “Don’t you know that I would do anything for you.”

“I love you so much,” Charmaine declared, her voice shaking with emotion.

“I love you too and I’ll always will.” Raymond said as he kissed her on the lips. He lifted his head and said, “Well Mrs. Lam, are you ready to come out and greet our guests?”

Charmaine brought her hands up to adjust the lapels of his tux and said, “Only if Mr. Lam is ready.”

Together they walked hand in hand out into the grand ballroom where their wedding guests were already chanting for the bride and groom to come out.