in love?

My Aching Soul and Your Pretty Face

Oh wow.

It had been ages, hasn't it. Life got a hold of me and I haven't had time to write anything for long time. And when you come back to something after so long time, you go "...what is this bull I have been writing?" Hahhaha. xD But the continuation is here! 

Enjoy!

______________________________

The ceiling was moving, gently from side to side and Sungmin closed his eyes. Siwon was snoring quietly next to him. Sungmin could hear small clangs from the kitchen and for a moment he wondered who else was there with him. It took couple more minutes until he opened his eyes again and when he was sure the ceiling wasn’t moving anymore, he crawled out of the bed; Siwon didn’t even stir.

 

When he made his way out of the room he recalled bits and pieces of the weekend. It had gone past fast with catching up with Siwon and Junsu. Heechul had invited himself to their dinner date yesterday and later dragged them to the dance club. And now, Sunday was welcomed by with a horrible hangover. Sungmin sometimes forgot how badly sparkling wine (he was more a friend of red wine anyway) made his head hurt.

 

Heechul was at the kitchen, frying something on the pan and Hyukjae was lazing on the couch, buried underneath the blankets. Sungmin noticed his phone by the counter (the green light was blinking at him) and took it.

 

“I have seven missed calls from Ryeowook.”

“Oh, he called, you answered thinking a club was a perfect place to do so. And I think someone interrupted the call”, Hyukjae helped, peeking at him underneath the blankets and Sungmin groaned, rubbing his eyes. He dialed the number and it took three rings from Ryeowook to pick up.

 

“Hey.”

“Ah, hey. Are you okay, it seemed like you had a rough night…?”

Sungmin tried to laugh but it come out more like a mix of snort and groan.

“Yeah, remind me never to go out with my friends ever again.”

Hmm I will try.”

“So how was your stay at Kyuhyun’s?”

Oh, it had been fun so far. Kyuhyun’s mom’s food is the best but Kyuhyun himself is annoying.” There’s some commotion on the other end and Sungmin assumed Kyuhyun was listening. Ryeowook snorted.

He made me play video games even thou I at them.”

Sungmin hummed, not really sure what he was supposed to say to that but Ryeowook kept talking.

“Although I’m pretty good at Mario Cart. He still wins, but I get to throw bananas at him.”

“That’s very nice of you. How’s the birthday party of his mother?”

“Wonderful! Lots of good food, thou I ate too much sweets.”

Sungmin laughed more naturally this time when Ryeowook whined how he needed to get on a diet when they got back.

 “You don’t need to go on a diet. What you have planned for today?”

“Some late lunch at town with his parents and sister, Kyuhyun just woke up, that lazy . And then we most likely just hang around before Kyu’s mom drops us to the station. How about you?”

“Hmm, probably just nursing the hangover. Hee—Heechul is making breakfast.” Sungmin bit his tongue when there’s a pause on the other end.

“Heechul?”

“My friend. I don’t think you’ve met him. They, he and Hyukjae crashed my place since I live near the club we’re yesterday.”

“Was Siwon there too?”

“Oh, yes he was. He and Junsu and Junsu’s crew members and I don’t even remember who. But no, Siwon is not here if that’s what you’re asking.”

 

Sungmin locked his eyes with Heechul who rolled his eyes at the white lie and Hyukjae snorted.

 

“Ah, okay. I wasn’t. But. Nice to know.”

Sungmin rolled his eyes and sighed. “How about I offer you a coffee tomorrow? Just come the café and I’ll take some time off to hang out with you.” To even Sungmin’s ears it sounded too fake, too ingratiating and he was sure Ryeowook could hear it too.

“Sure. I have to go. See you tomorrow. Bye.”

“Bye.”

 

Sungmin lowered the phone and groaned.

“Why is this so hard? I get so cranky at him everytime he even thinks something stupid like Siwon.”

“Because you have actually never dated, that’s why. And I have met him, remember that one time at the club, I told you his looked nice on those jeans.” Heechul stated, taking the pan off the oven and Hyukjae sat up. Sungmin sneered.

“Oh, yeah, that time. Name calling and all that. And I have dated.”

“Well, I wouldn’t call those relationships. Those were all about . This is different. This might actually lead to something nice.”

“The Heechul?”

“What he is trying to say it that Ryeowook wants the whole you, not just the part. And you don’t know how to deal with it because previously if someone was unpleased with you, you seduced them and had .”

“I did not!”

“Yes you did. Or there was the mutual understanding of ing with other people.”

“You make it sound like I was some sort of !”

Both Heechul and Hyukjae stared at him and Sungmin groaned.

“Okay! I was young! That is past!”

“Now Sungmin, darling”, Heechul coated, pushing him down on the chair. “ what Hyukjae here is saying, is that previously you didn’t care nor did your partner care what kind of person you’re. This time Ryeowook cares and to you maybe too much.”

Sungmin opened his mouth to comment but Heechul hushed him.

“So, my question here is what you want from this boy? What was that Siwon deal all about?”

Sungmin pouted and refused to answer so Hyukjae helped and revised what had happened earlier, causing Heechul to burst into laughter which eventually woke Siwon up and Sungmin wasn’t pleased at all. As soon as Siwon had coffee in his system, he had three idiot friends to deal with.

 

“This Ryeowook is the cutest. Have you seen him?”

“Oh I have and I must say his looks very nice in tight jeans.”

“Guys!” Sungmin groaned and he was tempted to throw his omelet at Heechul. Hyukjae was sniggering on the other side of him and Sungmin kicked him under the table.

 

Heechul’s question was forgotten until later that day Sungmin sat alone on his bed, wondering what the hell he actually wanted.

 

***

 

Sungmin didn’t really have any answer to what Heechul had said and when Monday rolled by, he had slept badly on previous night and the day didn’t start off well at all. Sungmin was groaning inside when Ryeowok followed him out of the café, still hastily pulling the jacket on. They kept walking, Sungmin kind of fuming, until he stopped and turned to Ryeowook who almost crashed with him, his hands flat against his shoulders to prevent the collision.

“Do you have any… preferences where to go?”

“Well, I thought we were staying at yours and now I thought you were… I… yes, actually, I have this one place in mind…” Ryeowook walked past him and started to lead the way, Sungmin hunching his shoulders, followed. The morning had been horrible with burning breads and he might have snapped at Ryeowook who had just assumed they’re staying at the café but Sungmin had wanted to get the hell out of there and it all had come out of kind of rude and now Ryeowook was pissed off too.

 

The café Ryeowook led them in was actually pretty small, hidden from the busiest streets but there’s a nice amount of people inside that made the café feel like home. Ryeowook smiled at the lady on the counter and chit chatted with her as Sungmin went through the pastries on display.

“Their strawberry muffins are delicious!” Ryeowook piped and Sungmin, grinding his teeth, ordered two of them and two lattes. Ryeowook seemed to be on a better mood and almost skipped towards a free table.

“Ah, this is my safe haven right after your place!” Ryeowook stated, taking off his jacket yet again and Sungmin sat down, getting rid of his own. Sungmin wasn’t sure but his annoyance was coming back with tenfold and he clicked the spoon angrily against the mug. Ryeowook groaned.

“Hey, why are you cranky? This was your idea?”

“I’m sorry, I’m just… you bring me to your safe haven, are you afraid of being seen with me?”

Ryeowook blinked at him, pursuing his lips.

“Well you didn’t want to stay at yours, did you?”

“You come there often enough to people know you and I think the stunt you pulled when Siwon was there was enough for everyone to know where we stand.”

“So it’s my fault?”

Sungmin sighed. “No, I didn’t… Ryeowook, listen.” Sungmin reached out and took Ryeowook’s hand in his, like wanting to prevent him for running away. Headache was coming, he could feel the little pulses on both side of his head. Heechul’s words rung inside his head.

“I just wanted to bring you from our regular hangout place to somewhere where people could see us. I thought… this was badly executed, considering I had the most horrible morning and this was an idea of mine but actually… now that I think about it, the fact that you brought me here, to your save haven, must mean something. Like you trust me.”

Sungmin almost wanted to cheer when the tenseness on Ryeowook’s face vanished almost instantly after his words. He had said something right at least.

“I’m sorry. Like I said, the morning has been disaster.”

Ryeowook hummed, intertwining their fingers together.

“I forgive you. But, I told you before. You can always talk to me when it’s too tough at work.”

Hint: make me part of your world.

Sungmin smiled gently, and without letting go of Ryeowook’s hand, tried to sip from his drink with his free hand.

Question: Was Sungmin ready for it? Was this what Sungmin wanted?

Ryeowook beamed at him and at least the little brushes of Ryeowook’s thumb against Sungmin’s knuckles were nice.

 

***

***

 

 It went down the hill after that.

Sungmin wasn’t really used to dating a person who was… well, like Ryeowook, always there, asking, wanting, needing him. He was used to people calling him once or twice in a week or so, but Ryeowook’s morning texts and everything made him anxious. Sometimes he didn’t even answer those messages, making Ryeowook annoyed at him in turn. To his words Kyuhyun was like annoying father-in-law everytime Sungmin messed something up, telling him to man up. It was ridiculous and it escalated soon enough after Sungmin had ignored Ryeowook for four days and Ryeowook confronted him on busy Friday at the coffee, the only place from where Sungmin couldn’t run away.

 

Sungmin rubbed his eyes as he leaned against the table of the back room. “I’m not good at dating. Contract to popular belief, I didn’t date a lot when I was younger. I don’t… know what to do.”

“With what? I think you pulled our first date off pretty well. You did great if you ask me.” Ryeowook pouted, grossing his arms. “What the hell changed?”

“Well maybe the first time charm crumbled”, Sungmin snapped and Ryeowook glanced at him, pursuing his lips together. The gaze held so much in it and Sungmin was almost afraid of what was going to come out from Ryeowook’s mouth next.

 

“Sungmin, do you even like me?”

 

The question Sungmin wasn’t expecting and it held so much and Sungmin couldn’t read the tone with what Ryeowook had said it. He didn’t have time or energy to even consider trying to figure out it, he was too pissed off to care.

“Well, yes, of course I do like you. I don’t think I need to be asking what and with whom you’re hanging all the time to prove I like you.” Ryeowook puffed his cheeks in anger and Sungmin groaned. “I’m not that insecure of myself to need to know anything about your ex-boyfriends.”

It might have been a wrong thing to say, considering Ryeowook stared at him, his eyes widen and jaw tensed.

“Are you saying that I am insecure for wanting to know your past? To know you?”

Sungmin sighed, rubbing the brick of his nose.

“You know I don’t mean it like that.”

“It sounded like it!”

“Guys.”

Both of them turned when Hyukjae peaked inside the kitchen, looking rather uncomfortable.

“You’re being pretty loud here.”

“Leave it. I need to get to back to work anyway”, Sungmin snapped and Ryeowook groaned, stomping without further words out of the kitchen, and most likely out of the café. Hyukjae made a face.

“You okay?”

“Sure.” Sungmin stated, walking towards his friend, who moved from the door and let him slip through the door. There’s normal puzzle of people and noises but Hyungsik and couple of customers by the counter looked at him and soon averted their eyes as he made the contact with them. Sungmin sighed and smiled, yet again ready to serve the customers.

 

It was a long day and Sungmin snapped once or twice at both Hyungsik and Hyukjae during the day. Shindong made him stay at the back for the two last hours and when the café was finally closed, both Hyukjae and Shindong cornered him before he could run away to do chores.

“It bothers you, doesn’t it?”

“Sure, why wouldn’t a little argument with my… whatever he is bother me!” Sungmin snapped and his friends looked at each others, Hyukjae’s eyes comically wide.

Sungmin groaned, leaning heavily on the table with both of hands. “He is so childish. I mean, seriously, why would jealously factor be the indicator of a nice relationship? And then he accused me for not being properly involved in this because I’m not remotely jealous over his… past love life!”

“Are you?”

“Hyukjae, you know I don’t care!”

“But he cares.”

“I think”, Shindong interrupted, staring at Sungmin “that the point of all this is, that technically, you two aren’t in a relationship”.

Sungmin stared at him angrily.

“Yeah, I know. That’s what I mean!”

“No, no you don’t. Listen”, Shindong took a step closer. “I know you don’t… do relationships. I see your point alright, I know you. But think of him. You say he acts childish but when in reality he just fears someone is going to steal you away.”

Sungmin didn’t answer and Shindong took that as a cue to continue. “We all can tell he really cares for you. You just… you care but I mean, maybe if you had a steady relationship…he is younger, young people crave for commitment or whatever. He isn’t sure if you are commitment to him as deeply as he is to you. Because you don’t feel threatened of his courters--”

“He doesn’t have courters”, Sungmin interrupted and Shindong rolled his eyes.

“He knows what he wants from you and we all know that but… do you know that? Or what you want from this --” Shindong made a vague hand movement “—thing you two have?”

Sungmin worried his lower lip between his teeth and Hyukjae smiled at him.

“I think the point is—“

“I got the point already!” Sungmin murmured, defeaded. “Close the place. I have things to deal.”

 

Sungmin didn’t turn to look at his friends as he walked past them, pulling off the apron and marched straight out of the café. He almost jogged back to his place, switched into jumper and jeans before heading out. Shindong had a point, he knew and maybe this all would be so much easier if Ryeowook was older but on the other hand, Sungmin didn’t want that. Ryeowook was what he was, no matter what age he was and this was just a stupid argument they could work out.

 

He wanted it to work out.

 

Sungmin started to regret his sudden leave when he finally reached to the university campus. Not that he hated the campus area in general, but it seemed like there’s a party going on. Drunken university students weren’t Sungmin’s favorite company to have when he needed to find Ryeowook. Who knew if Ryeowook was actually a part of the partying gang. It would probably be impossible to find him if he was. Sungmin felt so out of the place. No one looked at him twice but he still felt too old to be there. Drunken university students all around him, laughing and talking too load and music blasting through the windows, couples making out everywhere.

 

He was kind of happy that the main event wasn’t at Ryeowook’s dorms. It took him sometime to navigate to right area and someone almost bumped into him and Sungmin groaned. Sungmin wandered closer to the tables someone had carried out from the halls, to see if Ryeowook was there. People were playing some sort of drinking game around most of them or just drinking, or in one case, making out on it. He looked around, trying to spot Ryeowook. Kyuhyun was sitting by one of the tables, playing something with group of boys, some girls cheering for them. Sungmin didn’t want to talk with him, Kyuhyun would most likely rip his head off if Ryeowook had been angry when those two had met up earlier so he decided to search more.

 

He declined couple of drunken girls trying to get too touchy with him and the drink offered, he didn’t want to get spiked. He ended up by the pool area (he had no idea how it was okay to party by pools) but there people were, dancing like idiots and soon enough Sungmin’s eyes spotted one very familiar figure jumping up and down near the edge of the pool. That didn’t look good. Sungmin clenched his teeth and navigated through the people towards Ryeowook who was laughing at something the other kid with had said until he eyes met him. Sungmin wasn’t near to actually hear what Ryeowook said but his face turned sour and soon enough he was stomping away and Sungmin sighed.

 

This had been a bad idea.

 

He wasn’t sure if he should stay around and try to talk with Ryeowook later but then someone who just started to talk with him about dancing, because apparently, he looked like he danced and the boy was too drunk to care but he talked so passionately about dancing so Sungmin didn’t have a heart to dish him right away. Next hour included lots of drunken slurs and dance analyses and couple of beers Sungmin personally opened and then Kyuhyun was right beside them.

 

“Sorry, Donghae, can I borrow him?”

“Sure!” hiccupped the boy and Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin up by the elbow. Sungmin was more relaxed than earlier because of the beers and lack of food so he wasn’t really worrying Kyuhyun to lash on him. Kyuhyun lead him away from the biggest mass of the people, somewhere quieter. Sungmin blinked at him when he got a better look of Kyuhyun’s face.

 

“You’re sober.”

“Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “How the hell do you think I could win money if I wasn’t? Also, Ryeowook is wasted, he needs someone to take him home later.” Kyuhyun arched his eyebrows.

“Or do you want to?”

“We aren’t really in talking terms at the moment.”

“So I have heard. But he is, as I said, wasted and I’m sure he wants you more than anyone right now.”

Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun who was staring right back at him without hint of any kind of remorse or ill will. Sungmin sighed, gulping down the rest of his beer.

“Where is he?”

“Sitting by the stairs of our apartment building.”

Sungmin nodded and turned to walk away but stopped and turned to face Kyuhyun again.

“Thanks.”

Kyuhyun snorted, turning his face away but Sungmin caught the blush.

“Go get your princess, .”

Sungmin laughed and jogged towards the building he knew Kyuhyun and Ryeowook inhabited. He spotted Ryeowook from afar, sitting his head lowered to his knees, arms around himself. He slowed down and stopped when he was by the younger man.

“Hey.”

Ryeowook tensed but didn’t lift his head or didn’t make a move to bolt away from Sungmin. So Sungmin took it as a cue to sit down next the boy. They sat in a silence, Sungmin staring ahead, music from the party as a background noise.

Sungmin cleared his throat.

“How many did you have? Considering how you earlier most likely cursed my existence by the pool.”

“Not much, couple of shots,” Ryeowook murmured, lifting his gaze to Sungmin. Sungmin hummed but didn’t turn to look at Ryeowook. He felt so awkward, like a teenager.

Ryeowook huffed.

“I’m still mad at you.”

“I know and I deserve it all. I am an idiot.”

Ryeowook nodded but said nothing. The air grew thinker around them and Sungmin rubbed his eyes. Whole day was had been so horrible and Sungmin wanted nothing more than to be back home, in warm and away from his own problems.

“I just want to say—“

Whatever Sungmin ever wanted to say was interrupted by some drunken students, stumbling from the doors behind them. Ryeowook was hit by the door and Sungmin managed to get bucket of water poured on him. Curses were exchanged by both parties and after almost a fist fight, the bucket full of water again and party goers all gone, Ryeowook was closing their room’s door behind them. He was smiling as his fished out some shirts for Sungmin to change into.

“This is horrible, I just want to sleep”, Sungmin grumbled, weighting the shirts in his hands, trying to figure out which one would fit him. Ryeowook snorted.

“Admit it was at least a bit funny.”

Sungmin rolled his eyes, picking up a T-shirt with a Tetris reference in (probably Kyuhyun’s). He pulled the wet jumper and shirt off before pulling the comfy dry one on. Ryeowook was biting his lip, looking everywhere but Sungmin.

“Want something to drink?” Ryeowook was already turning towards the kitchen corner but Sungmin took a hold of his wrist and spun back around.

“Did you get hurt, I saw you wincing when the door hit you.”

“I’m fine, it was nothing, I will probably have a bruise on me tomorrow or so…” Ryeowook murmured, rubbing unconsciously his arm. Sungmin moved without thinking, pulling up the sleeve of Ryeowook’s shirt. True to his words, there was a nasty looking bruise already forming and Ryeowook hissed when Sungmin run his fingers over it, tensing.

 

Sungmin hated the situation more than he had hated anything for a long time.

 

“Ryeowook.”

“Yeah?”

“Do you want to be my boyfriend?”

 

***

 

Kyuhyun felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and when he pulled it out, he saw one notification from Facebook. He rolled his eyes and turned to talk with the boy next to him.

“Oi, Changmin. Let me stay at your place tonight.”

 

Kim Ryeowook has changed his status from "Complicated" to "is now in a relationship with Lee Sungmin."

______________________

 

This story was supposed to have... like three "episodes" (chapters in "When we are like this is it impossible for me to love you?" being the first and chapters in "Why are we like fools in love?" the scond part) but I'm not sure if I will pull the last part through. As I said earlier, it's tough to come back something you haven't touched in ages and the plot and all is ridiculous but I do have some parts written ages ago, so we will see if I can edit it to the way I want.

And if not, I will post those as some extra stories linked to this stories. 

:D