is it impossible

My Aching Soul and Your Pretty Face

((     Ryeowook offered the drink to his friend who thanked by nodding.

“Don’t look so sullen. We will have fun!”

“I know but… seriously, you didn’t have to give him all the cookies.”

Ryeowook smiled, cupping Kyuhyun’s face as the moved forward on the street. It was awkward and Kyuhyun almost lost his footing but Ryeowook just skipped onwards.

“I left some for you.”

“Geez, thanks.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, hiding behind his take away cup. Ryeowook hummed, sipping his own drink.

“You know, he doesn’t even realize you like him.”

“I know.”

Kyuhyun his lips, trying to come up something to say to that but as always, he couldn’t. So they continued in silence, Ryeowook humming. And for a moment the subject of Ryeowook’s desires was forgotten and Kyuhyun just enjoyed the company, feeling content and happy thou somewhere at the back of his mind, the voice was screaming, wanting to ask why the other male didn’t make a proper move on the barista but he couldn’t.

 

He couldn’t break the little heaven he was in.  ))

 

***

 

Sungmin sat on the stool, watching over Hyungsik who was ordered to work at the counter. Hyukjae was puking his insides out in the bathroom and Sungmin was feeling horrible. He had known he would regret it but this was just too much. Shindong had been pissed off at them but at least Sungmin could work unlike Hyukjae. He needed his breaks and that’s why he had made Hyungsik work with him. The boy was almost hysterical but the customers were patience with him as long as he smiled gently at them and kept telling them he was new. Some of their customers commented to that, they were regulars and Sungmin was pleased to hear Hyungsik to talk with them.

 

It was already noon and but it seemed like his hang over wasn’t getting any better and Hyukjae was still hiding in the back room (Shindong had informed him that the other one was hiding in the dark broom closet) because he was unable to get home by himself. Sungmin promised to take him when they closed. Sungmin was also a little jumpy everytime the bell rung above the door and he was always a little disappointed when it wasn’t Ryeowook who had walked in. The night had been crazy and Sungmin was annoyed by his own feelings and thoughts. He kind of wanted to see what Ryeowook’s reactions were but the man was nowhere to be seen. Was it good or was it bad, Sungmin wasn’t sure but he really did wanted to see Ryeowook. He groaned and Hyungsik glanced at him.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, just tired.”

 

The day went by faster than Sungmin had anticipated but maybe it was because of Hyungsik still needed his assistance with the register from time to time. Hyukjae also emerged from the closet at some point and Sungmin was happy to notice that his hangover was nothing compared  to Hyukjae’s: his friend was looking very gray and sick.

 

It was kind of late when they finished up with the disches, he and Hyukjae sitting on the floor and leaning against the wall, Hyukjae’s head on his shoulder and Sungmin closed his eyes.  The washing machine was humming lightly, making Sungmin sleepy.

“Don’t fall asleep…”

“I won’t.”

Hyukjae grunted and Sungmin opened his eyes.

“So Ryeowook didn’t come by today?”

Sungmin grunted, wondering if Hyukjae could read his moods that well. Well, perks of being his best friend.

“He was with a friend last night…”

“Tall, his hair a little bit longer than Ryeowook’s, lanky but not too thin?”

Sungmin blinked at Hyukjae who laughed. “The dude who hangs out with him, Kyuhyun?”

“So he is Kyuhyun…”

Hyukjae snorted. “Don’t tell him you didn’t know his name? Have you even been listing to Ryeowook?”

“Well… before... I… I…” wasn’t interested.

Hyukjae glanced at him curiously but Sungmin just shook his head, trying to clear his tired thoughts. If Hyukjae kept questioning him, he might slip something he would regret.

“Do you even know what he is majoring in?”

“Music and composing, fine arts.”

“And his friend?”

Sungmin rolled his eyes and Hyukjae giggled. “He is studying audio visuals, filming and music. I think they share a room at the campus…”

“They do?”

Hyukjae smirked at him knowingly and Sungmin cursed inside his head.

“They are childhood friends. They spend last break at Kyuhyun’s place.”

“How you know so much of them?”

Hyukjae laughed, standing up with some difficulties.

“Where do you think I found out he likes you?”

“Do you spy on them when they’re here?”

Hyukjae grinned smugly.

“I’m kind of proud of that.”

Sungmin rolled his eyes, standing up.

“You’re a horrible person.”

“But you love me anyway.”

“Shut up.”

 

***

 

(((      Kyuhyun was fuming. Ryeowook was leaning against the wall and breathing heavily. Maybe the last drinks had been enough for both of them.

“We can leave if you want but I personally prefer to go back and—“

“Please.”

Ryeowook voice was weak and Kyuhyun helped him towards the cloakroom to get their coats. He could see Sungmin’s barista friend dancing at the dance floor all by himself but seemed like the man hadn’t seen them. They didn’t exchange any words as they got outside and started to walk back to the campus, Ryeowook tightly hugging himself. Kyuhyun was still fuming.

“Seriously, you should just forget him! He doesn’t deserve your time!”

“Kyuhyun, please, I’m not mood for this.”

“You never are! Mood for a reality check!”

Ryeowook groaned and stopped.

“If you don’t stop I will take a taxi and leave you here.”

Kyuhyun pursed his lips together angrily but he bit back his remark and the rest of their walk to their dorm room was filled with silence.  )))

 

***

 

Ryeowook was back after four agonizing days and to Sungmin’s displeasure he didn’t seem to actually mind about their little encounter at the club days ago. The boy was smiling as cutely as ever when Hyungsik with trembling hand fixed a drink for him and Kyuhyun who was sulking. Sungmin was arranging the pastries inside the showcase by the counter. Ryeowook was chatting with Kyuhyun and Hyungsik (to Sungmin it looked like Kyuhyun was ignoring Ryeowook and giving him a silent treatment when Hyungsik was just so flustered for some reason and Sungmin was annoyed by that) and Ryeowook was trying to pull Sungmin into their little chit chatting but Sungmin was blocking the hint by concentrating on the showcase. Hyukjae came from the kitchen and saved Ryeowook for further awkwardness and got even a little snort out of Kyuhyun.

 

As they finally left the café, Hyukjae glanced at Sungmin.

“Do you think they fought or something? That was odd, I tell you.”

Sungmin nodded, rubbing his temples.

“They might have… Are you okay, Hyungsik, you were kind of off when serving them?”

They both turned to look at Hyungsik who was blushing hard and seemingly trying to contain his excitement.

 “Do you know who he is?”

Sungmin blinked at Hyungsik whose eyes were wide. Hyukjae laughed.

“He is… our regular? Both of them are. ”

“No. I mean he is that also, but!” Hyungsik turned towards him and took a hold of his shoulders, shaking a little. “Do. You. Know. Who. He. Is.”

“I must say I have no idea what you’re talking about. Do you, Hyukjae?” Sungmin stated, glancing at his best friend to see if he was with the youngster on this one, but Hyukjae shook his head. Hyungsik let out a desperate wail. “You should know! You own this place! He, the shorter one is a kind of popular food blogger!”

 

There’s a silence after Hyungsik’s statement and he groaned as he didn’t get the reactions he wanted out of them.

“You should know! Here, let me write down his blog so you can check!”

“I have never really cared about that kind of stuff”, Sungmin defended himself  as Hyungsik fished out a piece of paper. Hyukjae blinked, his smile dropping.

“Really? You are making that up, aren’t you?”

“Why would I!?” Hyungsik said and slamming the pen down after writing the address drown. “He started the blog because he loves to bake and cook but then it kind of got off tracks or something he started to make reviews of his favorite bakeries and cafes and food. He is so cute, I can’t believe he is a regular here and haven’t done a post about this place!”

“You tell me about it…” Hyukjae murmured, giving Sungmin a pointed look. Sungmin puffed his cheeks.

“I told you, I don’t care about that kind of popularity. I’m fine what I have now.”

Hyungsik gave them a lesson about Ryeowook and his blog, forcing the information at them. Hyukjae was taking in the info giving with mild interest but Sungmin, for some unknown reason, was feeling very uncomfortable.  After Sungmin had closed the café and was safely up at his apartment (he lived upstairs), he pulled the small piece of paper out of his pocket. He started at it for a while, until he put it back.

 

He really didn’t care about bloggers and stuff like that.

 

***

 

“You should ask.”

Sungmin groaned, turning to Hyukjae who was leaning on the door frame.

“I’m not going to ask anything from him.”

Hyukjae blinked at him and then a wicked smile spread on his face.

“You do care.”

Sungmin hissed and Hyukjae laughed, moving back to the front, leaving Sungmin alone in the kitchen. Hyukjae knew him way too well. Even if he really didn’t care about popularity gained by some blogger liking his place, he was still kind of bothered by the fact that Ryeowook hadn’t made a post about his café. Hyungsik had made a huge deal out of it this morning again and Sungmin hated to admit but he feared the moment when the petite boy would step inside the café that day. He grunted as one of the pastries ended up as a disaster.

 

He didn’t remember the exact date or time when he had first met Ryeowook. It had been around the time they opened the café because he remember Ryeowook being there for a long time. And because Ryeowook was a university student, he must have used their place before he started to take notion of the young man. But they never talked about Ryeowook being a blogger. He would talk about his studies and everyday life but nothing about blogging. And Sungmin wasn’t sure why it bothered him so much.

 

Hyukjae’s previous words came to his mind and he groaned, leaning on his hands. Okay, maybe he cared. Maybe he cared a little too much of it. He wanted to cry.

 

****

 

(((      “Kyuhyun, let me…”

“No! You cook everytime so let me do this now!”

Ryeowook rolled his eyes at his best friend but let him be and sat down Kyuhyun’s chair. Kyuhyun cooked rarely just because Ryeowook liked to cook more but it was nice to have moments like these, even thou Kyuhyun wasn’t the best.

“This is nothing big, I can’t make your favorite…”

“I’m not excepting anything big from you anyway.”

Kyuhyun’s shoulders tensed.

“But except it to taste good!” Ryeowook piped, trying to save the mood and Kyuhyun snorted.

“I, even thou can’t cook a , season stuff perfectly!”

“I know that!” Ryeowook was grinning. It didn’t take long for Kyuhyun to finish his noodle dinner for two and soon had a steaming bowl in front of him.

“Aaw, this is so sweet! Thank you!”

“Dig in!”

The slurping filled the air and Ryeowook was content. He was ready before Kyuhyun and leaned on the table, watching his friend to eat and make funny faces at him. He hoped they would forever be like this as he closed his eyes, letting the tiredness take over. He wasn’t really sleeping and he tried not to show it as Kyuhyun sighed, petting his air. “Would you love me like you love him if I cooked well?”    )))

 

________________

aka a part of the story I call "secrets."

BDDDDDDD