to love you?

My Aching Soul and Your Pretty Face

Sungmin waited until Hyukjae was back behind the counter to glance at him questioningly. His friend sighed.

“They are fighting.”

“About what?”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes. “He didn’t say it but I assume about you.”

Sungmin froze. “What?” he gasped out and turned to look at Kyuhyun who was sulking at the one of the corner table, hidden from the curious looks of the other customers. It was hour ago when he had stormed in, his eyes so wide and wet that Sungmin had been sure he would start crying but instead the youngster had demanded a cup of the strongest coffee they had all while glaring at Sungmin nastily. Hyukjae had gotten him to the table and sat down with him to consult about what was going on. And Sungmin hadn’t been excepting this.

“He kept blabbering about the videos and food and how he doesn’t cook and how the way to man’s heart is through their stomach and yeah, I kind of read between the lines.”

Sungmin just stood there, blinking at his friend who was now gathering up something for Kyuhyun to eat.

“And how did you exactly…What?”

Hyukjae turned to look at him and snorted.

“They fought about you. “

“That makes no sense.”

“You’re just blind, that’s why.”

Sungmin watched as Hyukjae rushed back to Kyuhyun with a glass of juice. Kyuhyun took it without really looking at Hyukjae but the nod of thanks was seen. Sungmin just didn’t get it. Why would Kyuhyun and Ryeowook fight about him? Of course Kyuhyun had always been a little wary of him but he had never thought that he would opposite Ryeowook’s feelings for him. And why now, was Ryeowook planning something?

His musing was stopped by Kyuhyun who was suddenly standing in front of him on the other side of the counter.

Kyuhyun was staring at him grumpily.

“Two coffees and muffins to go”, was all he said when Sungmin took a notice of him with a small nod. Sungmin hummed and turned to fix the drinks. It was an awkward silence and when Sungmin gave the drinks to Kyuhyun, other one lifted the lit to check them. Sungmin could see how the youngster clenched his teeth together. And when Sungmin gave the box with the muffins in it to Kyuhyun, the other’s eyes met Sungmin’s.

“I will be watching you, .”

Sungmin blinked after Kyuhyun, wondering if it had been wrong of him to make their favorites drinks. Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were his regular customers; he knew what they both liked the best. He sighed and Hyukjae was by his side as soon as Kyuhyun had left the café.

The other man didn’t say anything and Sungmin was thankful for that. He felt kind of bad for Kyuhyun to not to like him. Sungmin glanced at Hyukjae who had started to serve the customer who had come up to the counter. He waited until the other one was done before he opened his mouth.

“Do you think this is a good idea?”

“What is?”

“The thing.”

Hyukjae blinked at him and Sungmin puffed his cheeks, annoyed.

“Oh, you mean the thing. You asking Ryeowook out, that thing.”

“Yes, what else!”

Hyukjae laughed. “Of course it’s is a good idea. Go for it.” There was something in Hyukjae’s eyes that told Sungmin the other one wanted to say more but kept it to himself.

 

And Sungmin didn’t ask.

 

****

 

Sungmin wasn’t sure what he was expecting but when he next saw Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, they were like Kyuhyun’s kind of hysterical burst into their café never had happened. Maybe the coffee and muffins helped then, or it was something Hyukjae had said or then it was just how the duo worked: they fought, they forgave.

 

But Sungmin was still wary of Kyuhyun since the younger man kept glaring at him behind Ryeowook’s back. And it wasn’t anything big, only when Ryeowook wasn’t looking. Kyuhyun kept looking at him, like he was waiting for something, anything but Sungmin couldn’t figure out what.

 

He hated the look Kyuhyun kept sending to his way every time the duo visited them but it all stayed as it had always been: Ryeowook kept awkwardly talking with him and Kyuhyun was always rolling his eyes at his friend and Hyukjae made stupid jokes and Sungmin was obvious to it all.

 

And for a moment Sungmin wondered, why he would want to change it. Why would he want to ruin everything.

 

Hyukjae slapped him gently and Sungmin blinked at him.

“We were through this already. Why are you so insecure?”

Sungmin bit his lip, thinking of Kyuhyun’s angry glare but decided to ignore it and speak out the thought he had been having for a long time now.

“Why he likes me? I… barely talk with him.”

Hyukjae sighed, rubbing his forehead. Hyungsik was the front leaving them to work in the kitchen.

“It doesn’t mean you have to live the rest of your life with him. As you said, you barely talk. After a one date you know if you have anything else than food in common.”

Sungmin puffed his cheeks and Hyukjae rolled his eyes.

“You’re such a wuss.”

“Shut up.”

“You asked.” Hyukjae leaned on the wall behind him and gave Sungmin a pointed look.

“I mean, if it doesn’t work, you can be what you’re now, barista and his regular customer. Nothing more than that.”

“But…”

“But if you want more… you can’t get more if you don’t go on a date with him, idiot.”

Hyukjae was getting frustrated with him, Sungmin could tell and he groaned. Maybe he was being pessimistic because of their age difference, thou six years wasn’t that much but it still was. Would Ryeowook find him boring or would he grow bored of him later?

Sungmin sighed, rubbing his eyes.

“I just… Kyuhyun bothers me.”

Hyukjae tensed and leaned away from the wall.

“How so?”

“I don’t know. He is important to Ryeowook and if he doesn’t like me… is it pointless then? I don’t want to break their… friendship.”

Hyujae’s face was unreadable when he said: “Then meet up with Kyuhyun, make it clear what you want.”

Sungmin snorted. “He is not Ryeowook’s father.”

“Think about it. If he bothers you so much, then… you have to make it clear with him first. At least I think so. Because if you really want to make it work with Ryeowook and if you are bothered by Kyuhyun then… it won’t ever work.”

“When did you become so good at this?”

Hyukjae grinned stupidly. “I watch dramas too much I guess.” Sungmin rolled his eyes. But Hyukjae got a point. He should get some kind of agreement from Kyuhyun that they wanted the same thing, Ryeowook’s happiness and if Kyuhyun wasn’t okay with him asking his best friend out, then it wouldn’t work. 

 

But it wasn’t actually that easy. He rarely saw Kyuhyun alone and he just couldn’t call him up for a talk or whatever.  

 

And maybe again Sungmin was faced with the forever going dilemma of his: was this all the worth of it?

 

***

 

“Are you a or what?”

Sungmin blinked at Heechul who sighed and stomped past him to his apartment.

“Well, nice to see you Heechul!” Sungmin retorted and after closing the door followed his friend inside the apartment. Heechul had taken a spot from the couch and was removing his jacket. Sungmin rolled his eyes.

“Do you want something to drink?”

Heechul nodded and Sungmin walked to the kitchen to get some juice. When he was back again Heechul stared at him, waiting.

“What?”

“Are you doing this just because he has a crush on you? We might joke about you fancying him but this is stupid, even from you.”

Sungmin groaned. “What Hyukjae said?”

Heechul leaned forward.

“I don’t reveal my sources. But are you?”

“What?” Sungmin spat and Heechul rolled his eyes.

“A ? Are you going to ask him out just because he likes you? Out of courtesy?”

Sungmin stood there, blinking at Heechul.

“What? No.”

“Are you sure because to me it looks like it.”

“Why would I ever do such a thing?”

“Because you’re an .”

“I’m not! Heechul, seriously, what the ?” Sungmin snarled and Heechul stared at him nastily.

“You keep saying he likes you and that dating would be cool but then again, you say nothing about your crush on him and if you just dated him because he likes you, that my friend would be a nasty thing to do to that young boy’s heart.”

“I would never…” Sungmin took a deep breath. “ I would never do such a thing. I want him to be happy.”

“But would you be happy dating him? Are you forcing yourself into this?”

Sungmin sat down next to Heehul who gulped his juice down with one go.

“Why now?”

“As you said, Hyukjae blabbers. He is worried… about you and that kid too.”

Sungmin rubbed his eyes and they just sat there, listening to the sounds of the cars and people walking outside the house. Heechul sighed and stood up.

“You’re a grown up man. I can’t say what to do but think about it Sungmin, really.”

Heechul run his hand through Sungmin’s hair.

“We want to see you happy too.”

 

***

 

Sungmin knew he had played this hide-seek with his… feelings or whatever too long now. He should make some decisions and when was wondering about his life choices Kyuhyun actually came alone to their café. He had a huge stack of books in his arms and Hyukjae learned that they had a huge project coming and Ryeowook was running around the campus, trying to find everything they needed when Kyuhyun himself was stuck with an assignment in musical history.  Sungmin nodded as he took Kyuhyun’s order from Hyukjae and fixed the drink for the youngster. He took a deep breath and Hyukjae flashed his thumbs up to him before he made his way towards Kyuhyun’s table. He put the drink down and sat down. Kyuhyun lifted his face from the book he was reading and blinked at him, his face changing into scowl.

“What you want?”

“I’m going to ask him out.”

That wasn’t what he had wanted to say but Sungmin couldn’t take it back anymore. He was supposed to ask politely if it was okay to date Ryeowook, not to state his mind that bluntly. Kyuhyun stared at him his jaw tensed and Sungmin was almost sure the other one was going to hit him.

 

But the hit never came. Instead Kyuhyun let out a sigh and turned his attention back to the book.

“You better not hurt him or else….” he muttered under his breath but Sungmin heard him anyway and nodded. He sat there for a moment until Kyuhyun spat him to get lost. When he was back to the counter and under Hyukjae’s curious gaze he grinned stupidly.

 

“I think he was okay as long as I don’t break his best friend’s heart.”

 

***

 

But asking Ryeowook out was another thing to do.

It would most likely to come out of nowhere if Sungmin just asked. He couldn’t do that, that was stupid but Hyukjae told him there was no other way. Kyuhyun wasn’t going to help him at all, he learned that when he had tried to ask what Ryeowook would like have as a date proposal. Kyuhyun had flipped him off and told him to figure it out by himself.

 

Sungmin wasn’t pleased and he found himself thinking about his talk with Heechul. It wasn’t like he was particularly attracted to Ryeowook but there’s something about the younger man that made Sungmin really want to spend time with him. It was kind of odd really, because they seriously weren’t more than just a barista and his customer.

 

But then again, as Hyukjae had said, dating Ryeowook would solve that problem, if there was future for them. And as time went by Sungmin was even surer that he wanted to try and figure out if he could have a proper crush on Ryeowook and maybe fall in love with him.

 

It was one of those days when nothing could really bother you when Hyungsik decided to play the cupid for him. Sungmin had seen Ryeowook to come to the café about fifteen minutes ago and the place wasn’t that busy so Sungmin stayed at the back, finishing the frosting of muffins. When he made his way to the front he could hear Hyungsik and Ryeowook talking somewhat in stressed way and Sungmin blinked at them when he pushed the door open.

 

Sungmin didn’t hear what Hyungsik was saying but Ryeowook looked a little taken back, almost ready to get a hysterical break down. He stepped closer, gaining both of their attention and Ryeowook’s eyes went wide.

“What’s going on here?” Sungmin asked and Ryeowook slammed his hands on the counter.

“Nothing! Absolutely nothing!”

Hyungsik made a weird whine but Ryeowook’s outburst didn’t stop him.

“I asked about his blog! And why he hasn’t done a post about us!”

Ryeowook let out a desperate whine and he was staring at Hyungsik like he wanted nothing more than smash his face into the nearest flat object.

 

Sungmin didn’t blame him.

 

He understood perfectly well why Ryeowook didn’t want them to find his blog (he knew they weren’t stupid) but Hyungsik was just a small fanboy who didn’t know anything at all.

“Hyungsik, let it be, okay” Sungmin said calmly which actually made Hyungsik to even more frustrated and he pouted.

“But you have been wondering it too!”

“I know but I can’t do anything about it if he doesn’t want to make a blog post about us.”

Sungmin could see how the color vanished from Ryeowook’s face and he looked nauseous. 

“But—“

“Shut up Hyungsik”, Hyukjae suddenly stepped in, pulling the younger one with him towards the kitchen, leaving Sungmin alone with Ryeowook at the counter. Sungmin sighed.

“I’m sorry about him. He just likes your blog and he is kind of a fanboy of yours and—“

“Did you know?”

“Hmm?”

“From the start that I… blog about food…” Ryeowook’s eyes were wide and his voice was pleading. Sungmin smiled at him gently.

“No. Only after Hyungsik started working here and recognized you.”

 

Ryeowok nodded but didn’t say anything, he kept looking at anywhere but at Sungmin and Sungmin bit insides of his cheeks before he took a deep breath and started.

“It’s not my business.”

Ryeowook’s eyes snapped to meet his.

“If you don’t like us enough to make a post about us then I’m totally fine by it.”

“No! It’s not like I don’t like your place!” Ryeowook said, panic blazing through his eyes. Sungmin smiled, leaning a little closer.

“Hey, calm down. You keep visiting us so we can’t be that bad. I told you it’s nothing and we’re—“

“I… I just… don’t like to share…” Ryeowook’s mumble was almost too silent to be heard but Sungmin did hear it anyway. The younger one’s face was red and he was again avoiding Sungmin’s eyes.

“Ryeowook…”

“I mean,” Ryeowook squeaked, his voice cracking, “everytime I visit some place, my fans go there and I can’t go there anymore without them bothering me and I just—“

“I watched some of your videos.”

Ryeowook stopped talking in that instant and stared at him wide eyed.  Sungmin braced himself.

“And those muffins were just for you.”

“Oh God.”

Ryeowook squatted down, hiding his face behind his hands. Sungmin’s lips curved up in amusement as Ryeowook started to mutter to himself.

“This is so embarrassing.  Oh my God, my crush has know all along and—“

“Ryeowook.” Sungmin murmured, cornering the counter to be next to younger man.

Ryeowook stopped talking but didn’t lift his face. Sungmin smiled and kneeled down and touched Ryeowook’s chin. The younger’s face shot up and Sungmin smiled at him, his hand cupping younger one’s face.

 

It was now or never.

“Do you like me?”

Ryeowook’s whined. “Y-yeah.”

It was now or never.

“Would you like to date me?”

Ryeowook blinked and Sungmin used this moment to lean in and gave a small kiss to Ryeowook’s cheek. He had, for a moment, wanted to really kiss Ryeowook but decided to against it. When he pulled back Ryeowook whimpered, his face red, and Sungmin smiled.

“Would you?”

“A-ah, s-sure.”

Sungmin beamed at him and took hold of his hand and stood up, pulling Ryeowook with him. They stood in silence for a moment, Ryeowook blushing furiously.

“I’m fine if you don’t make a blog post about us.”

Ryeowook let out a small whimper and the bell rung, informing them that someone had stepped into the café.

“Oh. I see.”

Ryeowook spun around and Kyuhyun’s stoic face melted into something gently as the smaller one let go of Sungmin’s hand and rushed to his friend’s side.

“Oh God, I have… to tell you something!”

“I will bring your coffees in a minute”, Sungmin told them before returning behind the counter. He couldn’t hear exact words Ryeowook used but he was sure Kyuhyun did it purposely as words “if he treats you badly, let me know. I will kill him” caught his ears. Sungmin smiled stupidly as he gave the coffees to the duo and waved his goodbyes.

 

Only when Hyungsik (who was freaking out his boss dating the famous food blogger) and Hyukjae (laughing his eyes out) were back with him at the counter he realized something.

“I don’t even know his phone number.”

“ you Lee Sungmin, you are an idiot!”

 

***

 

Ryeowook returned later that day, his face red from running, and gave him a small piece of paper with his number on it. Even more later that day Sungmin texted to the younger one and they set a day for a date.

 

___________________

Trying to make this alive again hahah.