like fools

My Aching Soul and Your Pretty Face

“Actually last time I… there was one time I went to the supermarket and Ryeowook told me to buy him bananas. I bought them but he didn’t even eat one!” “I did!”

 

“We eat spicy hot pot, so we’re happy.”

“So you are happy?”

“What about you?”

“Me? So so.”

“So so? Why? You ate it recently?”

“I eat it every day!”

“Every day? Why didn’t you ask me?”

“I kept it from you and ate it myself secretly.”

 

“Don’t you think that’s a bit creepy?”

Sungmin paused the video he was playing and turned to glare at Hyukjae, who was standing near the oven, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

“Keep baking.”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes.

“Breads are in oven, there’s little I can do.”

“Do the dishes.”

Hyukjae groaned but moved towards the sink. He had stopped arguing against Sungmin two days ago. Hyukjae needed to know there’s going to be consequences if he was going to ruin his dates more. Sungmin wasn’t going to let Hyukjae go so easily. As he was the boss of their café, Hyukjae got to work horrible shifts next few weeks while he let Hyungsik take days off as the youngster had worked hard for couple of weeks. He also ignored Hyukjae most of the time, chatting away with costumers and Shindong who laughed at Hyukjae’s misery as his best friend was ignoring him.

 

“You get other chances with him!” Hyukjae wailed, his hands in the water and Sungmin snorted.

“But that was the first date.”

“Well, you should just be pleased that I had Kyuhyun here with me than somewhere else,” Hyukjae moaned and Sungmin rolled his eyes.

“Yeah sure. Why was he here at the first place?”

Hyukjae stared at him and sneered.

“You think I will tell you after you have treated me so badly? Never.”

Sungmin sighed. “Whatever, keep doing the dishes.”

Hyukjae mumbled something Sungmin didn’t catch but he was already focusing on the video on the screen. He was going through Ryeowook (and Kyuhyun’s) blog and he had found some interesting stuff. It seemed like those two had done this for at least three years, so it was no wonder Ryeowook had a solid fan base. Sungmin was even more surprised to find out that those two had visited Taiwan and Beijing. It was surprisingly nice to watch those two interact and Sungmin learned something new from every video he watched. Ryeowook was sassy and kind of an idiot at times but it made him even more adorable. And Kyuhyun didn’t seem so rude at all.

 

And Hyukjae only accused him for being creepy because he had done this for a couple of hours now, the same amount of time Hyukjae had been baking and now doing the dishes. The main point of all the video watching was to get some ideas for his and Ryeowook’s dinner date.

  

 “When is the next date anyway?”

Hyukjae’s question stopped Sungmin’s musing and he hummed.

“Ryeowook is busy with school this week but we talked about next week, it should be easier for him.”

Hyukjae nodded as he moved to check the breads in oven. Sungmin’s phone vibrated on the table and he reached for it, hoping it would a message from Ryeowook. It wasn’t but a smile crept to his face anyway.

“Junsu is back in town.”

Hyukjae spun around and stared at him. “Really? You got a message?”

Sungmin nodded, scrolling down the message on the screen.

“They finished their tour and Junsu says he has couple of days free. And wants to meet up.”

Hyukjae pulled a chair for himself and nodded eagerly. “Tell him I’m free whenever he wants!”

Sungmin smiled and started to tap a message until he stopped after a little while and glanced up at Hyukjae.

“Do you regret it?”

His friend blinked at him, clearly confused. Sungmin took a deep breath.

“When you stayed with me and not—“

“Sungmin.”

Sungmin stopped talking and Hyukjae sighed.

“No, I don’t regret it. We have talked about this. I choose you, I choose this café and I don’t regret it.”

“But you loved dancing.”

“So did you.”

“But it wasn’t my passion. It was yours.”

Hyukjae smiled.

“Don’t pity me. I can dance whenever I want, you know that and I love working here, you know that too. What happened with Junsu… that’s past and this is now. You and this café is now, I don’t regret this.”

Sungmin gulped and Hyukjae burst into laughter, leaning back and almost falling with his chair.

“You’re being stupid, Minnie~”

“I’ll set up a date and we can close the café for a day to hang out with Junsu.”

“Sounds like a plan. Truce?”

Sungmin took Hyukjae’s offered hand. “Truce.”

 

There’s time when Sungmin didn’t think about Junsu and their shared passion for dancing when they all had been in high school. He was totally fine by his past, his youth but sometimes, when he thought about Junsu, sometimes regrets started to nag its way to his heart. Junsu was their childhood friend with whom he and Hyukjae had once formed a dance group and shared the dream of being popular and professionals. During their time in collage, Sungmin had started to dream about his own café and other things while Junsu’s love for dancing and singing had grown, Hyukjae trying to balance between the two of them. Dancing had become just a hobby for Sungmin and Junsu had sought for other people to form group with after a nasty fight. After a while they had debuted officially, without Sungmin and Hyukjae.

 

Sungmin had felt guilty since he knew how much Hyukjae loved dancing, dancing was like the life line for the young Hyukjae and probably it still was, that’s why Hyukjae took his dancing classes seriously. But Hyukjae had decided to stick with him and the café, supporting him and Sungmin couldn’t ask for a better best friend.

 

Hyukjae blinked as Sungmin stood and pulled him into a hug.

“Oh, stop being so sentimental.”

“I don’t say often enough how much I appreciate you.”

“I know. And now when we are talking about people back in town, Shindong told me Siwon is also back. He might be the first costumer tomorrow.”

Sungmin groaned, pinching the brick of his nose while Hyukjae barked out laughter. Choi Siwon was totally another story.

 

****

 

True to Hyukjae’s words, the tall, dark and handsome man was one of their first customers next day. Siwon beamed at Sungmin as the line reached to the counter and his turn was up. Sungmin smiled politely back.

“Morning, my darling Sungmin! I see you’re doing well with the café.”

“Morning Siwon, and yes, I’m. You still drink your coffee black? Take away?”

Siwon nodded, his gaze following Hyungsik who came out from the kitchen with a tray full of pastries.

“You’ve a new employee?”

Sungmin gave a hum as an answer, filling the cup for Siwon.

“He needed a trainee place and I hired him. Hyungsik helps a lot.”

“If you—“

“Here is your coffee. Do you want some fresh baked cookies with it?”

Siwon smiled at him and Sungmin wanted to smash something into his mouth to make those white teeth disappear.

“Sure, your cookies are the best.”

Sungmin nodded and put two cookies on a small bag and offered it to Siwon who took it.

“I’ll come back for afternoon coffee. And I really want to offer you a dinner later, my love.”

“Sure, let’s see if I’m free.”

Siwon gave him a grin, paid and left the café with a wave of a hand and a flying kiss.

 

Soon after Siwon’s departure Kyuhyun almost jogged inside the café, glancing around in confusion.

“Ryeowook isn’t here?”

Sungmin blinked at him and Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, pulling out his phone to check it. Apparently Ryeowook hadn’t left any messages and the younger man huffed.

“He was supposed to come early to chat with you…”

“Well he hasn’t been here. I would have noticed.”

“Well don’t you sound naggy. Two lattes and two bagels to go.”

“Hyungsik, you heard him. Can you get the bagels?”

The boy nodded, hurrying to the showcase where the bagels were located, Kyuhyun following, muttering something to himself. Sungmin sighed and started to fix the coffees. Soon Kyuhyun was back, the bag of bagels loosely on his other hand while his other hand was holding the phone over his ear. Sungmin assumed he was calling to Ryeowook but the other one didn’t answer which made Kyuhyun to groan.

“I’m going to kill him.”

“Here you go”, Sungmin said, offering the coffees. Kyuhyun nodded, paid and balanced everything in his hands as he made his way out of the café, still trying to reach to Ryeowook.

 

Sungmin tapped the table with his fingers and Hyungsik stopped next to him.

“That was odd, wasn’t it?”

“Sure. You didn’t see Ryeowook here, did you?” Sungmin asked and Hyungsik sighed.

“We couldn’t have missed him, I mean he always makes himself loud and clear.”

Sungmin nodded, worrying his lower lip between his teeth. Maybe it was nothing, maybe Ryeowook had just got distracted by something and Sungmin was worrying for nothing.  

 

The day started to roll by and after a while Sungmin decided to send a message to Ryeowook. He couldn’t just ask if the younger one was okay and if something happened at morning, so he had to come up with something else and asking if the other one wanted to see a movie at Ryeowook’s dorm or at Sungmin’s place was perfect. It took two hours to receive an answer.

It was short and said Ryeowook would text him to tell when he would be free.

Sungmin started down the phone and then turned to Hyungsik who had just finished the order.

“What does this mean?”

Hyungsik blinked and took a hold of the phone to read the message. He glanced down at the Sungmin (oh how Sungmin hated the tall youngster).

“What it should mean?”

“How should I know! He would anyway inform me when we’re going to have our dinner date but… I just... why would he answer like that if he was supposed to come here earlier?”

Hyungsik pouted, thinking.

“Maybe… he was here and… “ Sungmin got it before Hyungsik said anything from the look the youngster was giving at him, “what was that tall guy to you anyway?”

 

Sungmin slammed his face on the table.

“God, this day started off so badly if he saw that.”

“Why and who and what?”

This time the speaker was Hyukjae who had emerged from kitchen and Sungmin groaned.

“Siwon was here and I think Ryeowook might have seen him in his full glory.”

Hyukjae grimaced. “I hope the damage wasn’t done.”

“I think it was. Why is this Siwon person… like that anyway?” Hyungsik asked, giving Sungmin’s phone back to him and Hyukjae stared to explain how it was Siwon’s second nature to act too clingy and too friendly with his friends. They all used to go scollage together and they’re still pretty good friends and kept in touch regularly. Nowadays Siwon was an owner of one of the biggest café company in town and wanted Sungmin to co-operate with him, make more profit and make Sungmin’s life easier with big corporation system. Sungmin didn’t want that, he wanted to keep his café small and familiar to the neighborhood and even thou he had said no to Siwon many times, the man came back.

 

Sungmin groaned and stared at his phone, wondering what he should do now. He wasn’t usually keen to please or explain his friends’ stupid to the person he was dating but now it felt like he needed to…do something. He wasn’t sure why but if Ryeowook had seen Siwon giving him flying kisses and heard him using all those stupid pet names, it could only translate to something bad in Ryeowook’s mind.

 

Usually Sungmin wouldn’t bother but he had already started to think to gain something more out of this than just casual dating and he didn’t want to ruin it everything right after the first date. Hyungsik patted him gently as Hyukjae rolled his eyes, muttering something about him being totally whipped, and retreated back to the kitchen.

 

The rest of the day went past fast, Sungmin sinking more and more into his thoughts. He send couple of more texts, trying to subtly figure out if Ryeowook had seen them but he got almost nothing from Ryeowook’s replies. And when they had closed the café, only he and Hyukjae in the kitchen, preparing stuff for next mornign, he turned to his friend, a plan already forming in his head.

 

 “We should ask from Kyuhyun.”

“We?”

Sungmin nodded, hands on his hips.

“Ryeowook would tell him. So we have to ask from him.”

“Again, we?”

“Well, I was figuring out you would be an enough to spy his phone number.”

Hyukjae snorted, grinning at him and Sungmin groaned.

“You have it already?”

“Sure thing. I mean, we’re the best friends of you two so of course I have his phone number so instead of being miserable on our own when you end up using either their dorm and yours, we can be miserable together.”

“We don’t even live together.”

“And as I said, we are your guys’ best friends so we have to share how annoying you two are.”

Sungmin snorted when Hyukjae fished out his phone, already tapping the screen.

“So, what you want us to ask? Hey, did your best friend by the way saw this dark and handsome giving Sungmin kisses?”

“Ugh, no. Something more like… “

“Is Ryeowook avoiding Sungmin?”

“Yes. That we should ask.”

“…so he is avoiding you.”

“Shut up. It’s been only been a day.”

Hyukjae glanced at him, surprised. “And you’re bothered by it? Oh God, what has this young and lively boy done to you. But I’m glad you’re done with the denial phase for good. Okay, message send!”

Sungmin nodded, not bothering commenting his friend’s statement.

 

He wasn’t quite sure what Ryeowook made him feel. Ryeowook made him feel giddy and annoyed when he knew Ryeowook wasn’t pleased with him.

 

“Oh. OH!”

“What, did he answer already?”

Hyukjae nodded, giving the phone to Sungmin to read. Sungmin blinked at the screen.

“What is Choi Siwon to Sungmin? How does he know… Oh God.” Sungmin gave the phone back to Hyukjae and moved to the laptop, which was located to the other table and opened the lid. Hyukjae followed, leaning on Sungmin’s shoulder as the laptop hummed to open.

“What did you come up with?”

“Wait…”

As soon as the browser was ready to use, he clicked to Ryeowook’s blog and started to look through posts tagged as ‘coffee shops’. Hyukjae tensed.

“Do you think…?” “I do know they made this post about different coffee shops in the area…”

They both stood in silence when Sungmin finally found the right post and clicked the play. It took around 2.15 to get Ryeowook say Siwon’s name and Sungmin groaned as the post went on.

“I don’t know if this is because they don’t like Siwon’s company or because he saw him flirting with you or both”, Hyukjae finally said and Sungmin nodded, closing the laptop.

“Are you going to answer to him?”

“I think we should. I’ll say the truth. High school friends and so on.”

“Do that. I’m heading home. If he answers something important, tell me. Can you close up?”

“Sure. See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah.”

 

Sungmin left the café soon, leaving Hyukjae to switch off the lights. The whole day had been a rollercoaster of emotions and Sungmin hated it. He hated how Ryeowook made him feel and act. He hated it all but on the other hand he wouldn’t change it.

 

****

 

“Hi. You look tired.”

Sungmin lifted himself up from the crouching position he was on while putting the fresh baguettes on the showcase. Ryeowook stood on the other side of it, smiling kind of apologetically at him. Sungmin sighed.

“Yeah, the night was rough.”

“Sorry I was… kind of rude yesterday with the messages. I was just… stressed.”

“Understandable”, Sungmin murmured, moving to put the empty tray away. Ryeowook bit his lip.

“We can have a movie night tomorrow. I’m busy tonight and then I’m travelling to Kyu’s parent’s place for weekend and next week is actually horrible and I think we have to post pone our dinner date so—“

“Okay. You take the regular?” Sungmin glanced around, not spotting Kyuhyun. “For Kyuhyun too?”

Ryeowook’s jaw tensed but he nodded and Sungmin moved to fix the drinks while Hyungsik who was at the register glanced between them worriedly. He started up a little small talk with Ryeowook and Sungmin listened to them to talk about studying and libraries and books and Hyungsik got a little laugh out of Ryeowook. It sounded nice and Sungmin sighed, pulling the handle of the machine.  

“Do you want me to come at your dorm or do you want to come at my place?” Sungmin asked as he gave the drinks to Ryeowook who blinked at him. “For the movie night.”

“Oh. I would prefer you to come to our place since I’m most likely out later than you work and I think I’ll be hungry and want to eat first if I had to come at your place.” Sungmin nodded, smiling a little.

“Sure. Do you already know what time?”

“Ah, no. I’ll text you, alright?”

“Sure. Have a great day.”

“You too.”

 

And as it all looked so good and not so awkward anymore, it all came down when Siwon walked inside. Sungmin could see Ryeowook’s eyes narrowing as the tall man walked past him and Sungmin tried to keep his smile polite but not too fake as Siwon approached the desk.

“Sungmin darling! Can I take you out tonight? Are you free?”

“Ah…” Sungmin wanted nothing more than silence Siwon and his eyes moved to Ryeowook who was still standing there, looking back at them. To his misfortune Siwon noticed him focusing on someone else than him and soon the other man laughed.

“Who is that cutie?”

“Ah. He… He…I’m dating him”, Sungmin murmured and Siwon barked out a laugh as Ryeowook (noticing their attention was on him), escaped from the café.

“And there he goes, running away. Oh, a food blogger is a good catch. Has he already done a post of yours place?”

Sungmin started at Siwon who just started to chat away with Hyungsik who looked flustered as Siwon’s attention was on him.

“No he hasn’t and I didn’t even know he’s a food blogger.”

Siwon rolled his eyes, like he wasn’t believing but Hyungsik came to his help, telling the other man that Sungmin really hadn’t been aware of Ryeowook’s blog. Siwon stared at Sungmin with wide eyes.

“Seriously? You can sometimes be so dense!”

“Hahah you.”

Siwon just laughed, glancing around. “Is Hyukjae around? We could have a dinner together with him too.”

“Excuse me?”

They all were startled a little by Ryeowook who had come back and Sungmin was little surprised by the look on his face.

“Ah, did you forget something?” Sungmin asked, leaning closer as Ryeowook moved next to Siwon, almost like pushing him away from Sungmin a little.

“Yeah.”

And with one swift motion, Ryeowook took a hold of Sungmin apron, pulled and planted a kiss on his lips. Sungmin made a surprised noise and Hyungsik definitely dropped something but it was over as soon as it had started. Ryeowook was blushing hard but his nasty look at Siwon still held some of the ominousness.

“See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, see you.”

 

And with that Ryeowook was out.

 

They all stood there, the little clamor in the café only making it somewhat unreal. Sungmin turned to Hyungsik who had realized he had dropped the tray and was blushing hard.

“Did he just…?”

“I think he is jealous because of me. I mean, I’m handsome”, Siwon stated and Sungmin groaned as the taller man grabbed him into hug over the desk, rubbing his hair with his hand.

“Finally you’ve found someone worth of it!”

“God, let me go! Everyone is looking!”

Siwon just laughed harder and louder. And Sungmin couldn’t help but smile maybe a little bit too wide.

 

****

 

It was slightly stupid how they come to the conclusion of Ryeowook really being jealous. Sungmin had been groaning against the desk when Siwon and Hyukjae had been laughing at him for gaining a possessive candidate for a boyfriend. They both knew Sungmin couldn’t handle possessiveness, well, a healthy kind of possessiveness was okay but too much was always too much. Sungmin didn’t know which way Ryeowook would turn out to be but considering the other one had already acted out like this, what it would be in the future? Well that was Sungmin to figure out and he knew Siwon wouldn’t let it pass to tease them if he was present when they saw each others.

 

It was just a start, only time would tell. Sungmin was sure that Ryeowook just wanted to clarify his relationship with Sungmin among the strange males around them. Sungmin also knew he should talk about this with Ryeowook but somehow he didn’t want, not yet, since it was already cleared with Siwon but Sungmin knew his friends, he knew Heechul and his past with him and dear God if Ryeowook ever found out.

 

But that was past and if the topic of Heechul kissing him on the stage in collage ever surfaced… well, that was future’s problem, not the matter in hand. Now he was supposed to get know to Ryeowook, make them both feel comfortable and hope the movie night wouldn’t end up something awkward. Sungmin’s walk to the campus area was uneventful and it was super easy to find the right dorm and floor and door.

 

Sungmin blinked at Kyuhyun who opened the door and was sneering at him.

“Ryeowook is at the student council meeting. He will be back whenever they finish. He left you a note.”

Sungmin took the note offered and followed Kyuhyun into the room. It wasn’t that big but it fit two beds and two tables in there perfectly. The beds were on the opposite sides of the room, near the window was one of the table. It had two laptops on it, one open and working and Kyuhyu slumped down on the chair in front of it. The second table was near the doorway to the kitchen. It was more like dinner table with a small bowl on it, full of fruits.

“He left some food for you, in the kitchen.”

Sungmin nodded even thou Kyuhyun couldn’t see him as his back was facing him. Sungmin stepped into the kitchen… or more a kitchenette. It did have a counter and a sink, two cupboards and oven. But it seemed like Ryeowook had equipped it well with knifes and pots and stuff. The note was stuck on the plate with a sandwich on it. Sungmin hummed as he took the plate and made his way back to the room, slumping down on assumingly Ryeowook’s bed since Kyuhyun didn’t yell at him to get out of it.

 

He munched the sandwich, wondering what he should talk about with Kyuhyun but then again, seemed like Kyuhyun was working on something. Or maybe not because he wasn’t really writing anything and Sungmin could see from his spot that the kid clicked one message window up and down constantly but nothing more really.

 

“So… how was your day?”

Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulders. “Busy.”

Sungmin nodded, finishing the sandwich.

“When are going to graduate anyway?”

“In two years. We hoped we could graduate at the same time but seems like Ryeowook’s master will take more time than mine.”

Sungmin nodded, biting his lip, thinking something else to ask. Kyuhyun on the other hand seemed like not wanting to ask anything.

“So…Choi Siwon…”

“What about him?”

Kyuhyun glanced over his shoulder.

“Just friends?”

Sungmin heard the unsaid threat and nodded.

“We go back in high school; he is such a flirt with everyone.”

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes and Sungmin rolled his eyes. “I’m not going to hurt Ryeowook with this Siwon matter, really.” He didn’t say that if Ryeowook kept acting too possessive, it could hurt not just Ryeowook but him too.

“Good”, was all Kyuhyun said and the younger one turned back to his laptop. Sungmin sighed and looked around the room yet again. There’re some books underneath Kyuhyun’s bed and on Ryeowook’s bed there’s a giraffe plushie peeking out from near the pillow. Sungmin reached for it.

“I warn you, giraffes will someday take over your shared apartment.”

“He likes them?”

“He adores them. If you can’t think anything else for his birthday, which is 21st of June, buy anything giraffe related.”

Sungmin nodded, patting the giraffe plushie’s head. He put it down after a while and wondered how long it would take Ryeowook to finally arrive. Kyuhyun groaned. “God, could you tell your stupid monkey face friend to stop bothering me?”

Sungmin snorted from his spot on Ryeowook’s bed, laying down on it.

“What he has done now?”

“Keeps sending me messages and I just don’t want to talk about you and Ryeowook! Can’t he ask anything else!” Kyuhyun whined, tapping the table with his fingers. Sungmin blinked at the young man for a moment until he fished out his phone.

 

To: Hyukjae

From: Ungmin-ee

He wants to talk about you and him, not me and Ryeowook.

 

He didn’t get a message back but he knew Hyukjae. The other one was most likely laughing his off and it took about ten minutes to Kyuhyun to straighten up and stare at the laptop’s screen until he reached over and tapped an answer.

“What did you say to him?”

Sungmin shrugged his shoulders at Kyuhyun who was staring at him over his shoulder.

“I just told him to stop talking about me and Ryeowook.”

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes suspiciously but didn’t say anything and Sungmin almost laughed out loud when Kyuhyun’s fingers started run over the keyboard. They were in silence, Sungmin listening to the little noises Kyuhyun made, little snorts and puffs as if Hyukjae’s messages were a great entertainment for him. Sungmin closed his eyes and somehow kind of fall asleep since next thing he knew, someone was running a hand through his hair.

 

Ryeowook beamed down at him when he opened his eyes. The other had his jacket still on and Sungmin smiled at him, his mouth feeling weird. He wiped it and Ryeowook giggled.

“You fall asleep.”

“Seems so”, Sungmin stated and Kyuhyun whirled around his chair, seemingly happier than before.

“You snore old man!”

“I do not!”

Ryeowook laughed at them as he made his way to the closet to hang his jacket there. Sungmin sat up and Kyuhyun sneered at him before he turned his back to him again, tapping away with his laptop. Sungmin rolled his eyes.

“I see you enjoyed my sandwich.”

“Yes, I did!” Sungmin beamed as Ryeowook joined him on the bed. The younger one smiled and Sungmin grinned back. He was still somewhat groggy and Ryeowook was warm and nice to have close at the moment.

“How was the meeting?”

“Oh, it was very good! We decided many things considering the end of the semester and some of off season events and—“

“Don’t volunteer me this time!” Kyuhyun interrupted and Ryeowook rolled his eyes. “I would never!” He mocked and Kyuhyun sneered at him. Sungmin snorted.

“But anyway and yeah, we have some big plans for Professor Kim’s retirement party too.”

“Sounds like a very productive meeting.”

“Yes. I just hate how painters are so… annoying when it comes to getting this done.”

“They are art students, doesn’t that tell you everything?” Kyuhyun stated, getting up and shutting his laptop. They watched as he walked to the closet and pulled out a jacket.

Ryeowook leaned towards the edge, like peeking at his friend.

“Are you going out?”

Kyuhyun didn’t look at them as he pulled his shoes on.

“I’m not going to stay here to watch you cuddle. I’m going to get some coffee.”

“We didn’t even cuddle”, Ryeowook pouted and Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “But you were going to”, he said, pointing at Sungmin. “I know your kind, old man.” Sungmin pretended to look insulted with which he gained couple sympathy pats from Ryeowook.

“See. You’re starting, so I’m going now. I’ll be back in hour or so. See you.”

And with that he was gone. As soon as he was out of the door, Ryeowook shot up, his grin wider than never.

“Do you think it’s a date?”

Sungmin blinked at him.

“But he was talking with Hyukjae when I was still awake.”

Ryeowook stared at him like he was an idiot and Sungmin opened his mouth but nothing came out so he closed it. Ryeowook giggled and jumped back to bed, side to side, his hand grasping Sungmin’s arm.

“I think they have a thing going on.”

Sungmin snorted.

“Kyuhyun and Hyukjae? They do hang around, yes but that they have feelings for each others? Really?”

“Well, or then it can be Kyuhyun’s evil plan to lure himself in your café and steal all the recipes and cookies.”

Sungmin stared at Ryeowook who beamed at him.

“That’s stupid.”

“But plausible.

Sungmin rolled his eyes, deciding to drop the subject.

“So did you have any particular movie in mind when you approached me with the idea of movie date?”

“Well, technically it was your idea from the beginning but not really. We have plenty, since Kyuhyun is a movie hoarder. We can go through those if we find something watchable and if not, we can go to the rental place down the campus.”

Sungmin was more than okay with the idea and they ended up setting up a stupid romance-comedy on Ryeowook’s laptop on a chair in front of the bed. Ryeowook also wiped out some snacks for them and soon the movie was running. It was actually pretty entertaining and Sungmin almost missed the subtle moves from Ryeowook but he caught on soon enough. He wasn’t sure if Ryeowook was bored with the movie and even thou Sungmin could predict how the movie was going to end, he still wanted to watch it. So he took a hold of Ryeowook’s wandering hand and entwined their fingers together. He could hear Ryeowook to whine a little but the younger settled for a head on Sungmin’s shoulder and, as the movie moved on, Sungmin could feel Ryeowook falling asleep.

 

Sungmin didn’t have anything against making out, hell, he had had his fair share of making out on movie dates. But he was still wary of this whole thing, Ryeowook being younger mostly. They’re doing good, they had fun when they met and Ryeowook’s personality was bubbly and forever surprising. But something was holding Sungmin back and he wasn’t sure what it was.

 

As said, he assumed it was the age difference but somehow Sungmin knew, there would soon be a time when he needed to come up with something better than just age different as a reason for avoiding making out. Even more if he was to talk about it with Ryeowook but not now, now wasn’t the right time. It was kind of a conflicting. Maybe they’re moving too fast or maybe they’re wanting different things like Sungmin was just looking for something but Ryeowook had already decided to want something from him already.

 

Sungmin woke Ryeowook up when the movie ended and younger one was apologizing for falling asleep and offered some late night snacks before Sungmin would head home. They sat around the table, talking kindly to each other and Sungmin wondered if they wanted to keep it peaceful around them after the two days of kind of bickering. He didn’t complain thou, it was nice to have Ryeowook get excited about his school work and Sungmin loved to listen to him to talk. He stayed longer than he thought he would and it was around one in the night when he finally pulled his shoes back on.

 

“I’ll text you. Or call, I could call. Thou Kyuhyun would keep me busy during the weekend. It’s his mother’s birthday.”

“Message me when you can, I’ll be busy with friends anyway too.”

Ryeowook’s jaw tensed but he didn’t comment, only nodded and Sungmin wanted to grab his shoulders and tell him to stop being so damn insecure.

 

And that was when it hit him. Maybe it was mixed with jealousness but what if Ryeowook was just insecure?    

 

Ryeowook bumped on his back as Sungmin stopped by the door. The younger laughed.

“I keep doing this everytime we’re about to depart”, he laughed awkwardly and Sungmin smiled at him, watching as Ryeowook averted his eyes. Sungmin turned more, now he was facing Ryeowook again and beckoned the other one to lift his gaze with his fingers. Ryeowook’s eyes were wide and he looked kind of tense and Sungmin wondered why he was so surprisingly calm but then again, he had the experience of years kissing people after dates. He took a step closer, Ryeowook breathed in sharply and Sungmin smiled, his eyes wandering from Ryeowook’s eyes to his lips. Ryeowook’s lips were nice, not too plumb or not too thin. Someone has once said Sungmin’s lips were too thin, they didn’t invite anyone to kiss them but Sungmin knew that was bull. And at least Ryeowook had nothing against the idea of kissing his lips. Sungmin’s fingers tapped gently Ryeowook’s shoulder, teasing.

“Can I?”

Ryeowook whimpered. “S-Sure.”

Sungmin could have laughed but instead he leaned in for a kiss. Not just a small and innocent like on their first date. Nor like the rushed one by Ryeowook a day before. Ryeowook relaxed almost instantly, he let out the breath he was holding and Sungmin pushed their bodies flush against each others, Ryeowook’s hands moving to behind of his neck. Sungmin’s tongue along the seam of Ryeowook’s lips, making Ryeowook to moan and open his mouth for Sungmin to deepen the kiss. Sungming felt Ryeowook’s hands in his hair, his fingers running through his locks. It was  a bit surprise how dominant Ryeowook was, even thou Sungmin was still in the control of the kiss, but the way Ryeowook’s hands moved, his body pushed back at him and the needy little moans and gasps when Sungmin would tease, bite and .

 

When Ryeowook staggered backwards, it took all Sungmin’s will not to push and lead them away from the door. Instead he let go and Ryeowook gasped, his lips red and swollen, Sungmin smiled.

“See you, okay?”

“A-ah, o-okay.”

“Have nice dreams.”

Ryeowook made a face and Sungmin laughed, finally pulling the door open and with a small wave of a hand, started to walk away. He heard Ryeowook to close the door and he almost sprinted out of the dorm building. The brisk night air hit his face and Sungmin took a deep breath in, trying to calm his nerves.  

 

Sungmin groaned, crouching down and hiding his face behind his hands.

 

He was too deep in this to make sense of it. 
 

____________________________________

Also the quotes at the beginning are from SJ-M Start Guide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg1XRXbpcKY) and all the credit goes to the one who subbed it! ;w;