for me

My Aching Soul and Your Pretty Face

 

“You should check his videos.”

“What videos?”

“Sometimes he video blogs. That rude bloke, as you call Kyuhyun, he films obviously.”

Sungmin stared at Hyukjae who was casually leaning against the doorframe and smiling stupidly – knowingly - at him.

“Did you… why?”

Hyukjae shrugged. “I was curious to see why Hyungsik likes him so much. I mean, he is cute, nice and polite but Hyungsik adores him, I could call him a fanboy.”

Sungmin bit inside of his cheeks and tried not to sound too bitter.

“So was he any good then?”

“He is marvelous. You have seen how adorable he can be, all the smiles and chit chat and that awkwardness. And then add almost like pure professionalism towards food to it. He knows what food is good.”

Sungmin stopped cutting the cucumber.

They stood in silence for a long time, Sungmin trying to calm his raging heart and Hyukjae studying him.

“If it makes your decision any easier, it bothers me why he hasn’t done a post about us.”

“I know”, Sungmin murmured, letting go of the knife and hiding his face behind his hands.

“Are we that bad?”

Hyukjae snorted. “Most likely not but I think he has some personal reasons for not to do so.”

“…if you start him liking me…”

“I don’t know, it’s just a hunch”, Hyukjae interrupted, lifting his hands like he was surrendering. Sungmin groaned and leaned against the table. He needed a break.

“You should ask.”

“Why won’t you?” Sungmin shot back and Hyukjae smiled sadly. “He likes you.”

“Oh God, go away.”

 

***

 

After the news of Ryeowook being a food blogger, Sungmin had started to avoid working at the counter, leaving it to Hyungsik and Hyukjae to deal with. Shindong questioned his choice for a while but Sungmin had just hissed and Shindong had given up. Sungmin overheard him and Hyukjae talking about how he would eventually face his feelings but not quite yet so Sungmin kept avoiding the front and working at the counter. He worked at the kitchen, making pastries for next two weeks, sinking into a work. He wasn’t totally out of it and he would hear when Ryeowook visited, Hyungsik was too vocal about it and some days Hyukjae wasn’t any better, asking “chocolate chip cookies for you know who likes them almost as much as they like you”. 

 

***

 

“Are you sure it is wise?”

Sungmin glanced up from the muffins he was making and met with curious eyes of Shindong.

“What is wise? If it’s about Hyungsik and—“

“I mean is it wise to keep avoiding him like that? He is our regular and will eventually catch up with this. Hyukjae told me they have been busy with exam season so that’s why he is so out if at the moment to realize what you’re doing.”

Sungmin blinked at his friend who was staring at him. He had known Shindong almost as long as he had known Hyukjae, they were close friends and maybe it was time to surrender, Shindong at least wouldn’t be a about it.

 

“Do you think it makes any sense?” Sungmin finally started, wiping his hands on his apron. Shindong smiled and walked closer.

“Love never makes sense.”

“I don’t love him.”

“That’s not what I’m saying. You barely know him.”

Sungmin pouted and Shindong sniggered.

“But you find him interesting, don’t you?”

“Well, yes but…”

“He is young, yes we all know how you feel about his age… or your age but you could at least give him a chance.”

Sungmin sighed and rubbed his eyes. He had been thinking about this a lot, about Ryeowook and his blog and everything around that matter. He felt Shindong’s hand on his shoulder.

“And stopping the avoidance would be a good start, don’t you think?”

Shindong tried to take a taste of the muffin dough but Sungmin slapped his hand away.

“It’s not for you.”

Shindong grinned. He turned.

“You owe me a dinner!”

They could hear Hyukjae’s curse and Sungmin wailed.

“You are horrible friends! Go home!”

Shindong laughed and said his goodbyes and when he left the room Hyukjae tiptoed in the kitchen where Sungmin had resumed to baking.

“Are those for him then?”

“Probably.”

Hyukjae nodded, inching closer, like fearing Sungmin’s outburst.

“I just… I’m almost 30, he is so young.”

“He likes his men old. Or then it has nothing to do with ages. I think they think we’re like year or two older than them, max three.”

“Have you been eavesdropping on them again?”

“No, I just think what I would think if I was him.”

“Our lives are so different. I’m a man with a café, he is a student, his whole life open ahead of him.”

“And he might want to share it with you. I tell you, now is the best time to try. He hasn’t graduated yet.”

Sungmin turned to Hyukjae who was smiling at him gently. Sungmin gulped.

“It’s the worst time. If…”

He couldn’t say it. He was afraid; he had never dated anyone who was this much younger than him. Siwon had been only two years younger and most of his one night stands had been older or the same age.

“Why is it the worst time? I mean, he is not going to go anywhere yet.”

“You don’t get it. What if… what if I fall for him and then he suddenly decides that he wants to see the world or..”

“Stop thinking so much of the future.”

Hyukjae closed his arms around Sungmin and Sungmin lifted his to answer the hug.

“Just stop avoiding him and see where it goes. He looks actually pretty lost when you’re not serving them. Maybe you could crack a smile out of him. Or Hyungsik will try.”

Sungmin snorted. “He isn’t even his type.”

“Whose type?”

Sungmin stared hard at his friend, whose face broke into a smile.

“Oh, Lee Sungmin!”

“Shut up! Wasn’t that the subject you bet on with Shindong anyway, so don’t look so surprised.” Sungmin hissed. “No it wasn’t, it was about how you would stop the avoidance…Oh God!” Sungmin groaned and he let Hyukjae stay with him as he finished the muffins. Maybe Sungmin should just stop thinking too much into it and just see where it would go if he opened up to Ryeowook a little.

 

***

“The youngster is here!”

Sungmin groaned and took a step out of the kitchen where he had been hiding and took the drink Hyukjae had prepared and snatched couple of muffins before heading towards Ryeowook. He hadn’t seen the kid for almost three weeks now and the boy had dyed his hair, Sungmin noticed first. It was black before but now it was more brownish and lighter, almost a little red. Also the cut was different, a bit more graphic than it used to. The boy was tapping away with his phone to notice him but Sungmin noticed how the other worried the lip between his teeth, like he was annoyed.

“Did someone dump you? But that looks good on you”, Sungmin said, causing Ryeowook to jerk a little.

“Ah, no… I… we… thanks…”

Sungmin cursed himself for such a stupid statement and put the drink and muffins in front Ryeowook on the table.

“Here. Muffins are for an apology because I have been avoiding you.”

Ryeowook blinked at him, putting the phone face down on the table.

“Well that was easy to dig out from you then”, Ryewook murmured, taking a hold of his mug with both of his hands. Sungmin stood there, until Ryeowook lifted the mug to his lips, not until then Sungmin slipped in to the booth with him. Ryeowook took a sip and Sungmin tried to avoid his gaze but it was useless. Ryeowook sipped from his drink and Sungmin didn’t really know what he was supposed to say now. He had kind of apologized already but should he say it again or what? But it didn’t seem like he was unwanted company since Ryeowook kept glancing at him and the boy was the one to break the silence between them.

“Is there any reasons why you were avoiding me?” the question was so timid that Sungmin was sure Ryeowook didn’t really want to know the answer but he kind of needed to know.  He sighed, rubbing his eyes.

“I have been just stressed, that’s all.” Kind of true but not really.

“Oh. Really? Work related?”

“Kind of. “ Well, Ryeowook was his regular customer so almost true again. He could now spill the beans and ask about the blog and all but he couldn’t. He wanted to but he just couldn’t.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Ryeowook asked, lifting one of the muffins. His phone puzzled against the table, Ryeowook ignored it.

“Not really.”

The phone puzzled again.

“I hope it’s nothing bad. I mean… finances or anything… these are good!” Ryeowook moaned and Sungmin gulped.

“No, we are fine economically.”

“Is this a new recipe? I don’t think I have tastes this before!”

Sungmin nodded, watching how Ryeowook’s eyes lit up, how pieces of muffin were stuck to the corner of younger’s mouth, his mouth forming into a smile.

“Both of them are new ones.”

“Really?!”

Sungmin wanted to say “just for you” but he couldn’t. The phone puzzled and Ryeowook groaned, picking it up. “I’m not done yet, I will… oh, hi mom. Sorry, I thought it was Kyuhyun…”

Sungmin smiled as Ryeowook munched his muffin and talked with his mother. “Okay… I will come. At the corner of that Irish pub and… yeah, I know. Okay, see you.”

Ryeowook jammed the rest of the first muffin into his mouth. “I have to go. Mom’s picking me up instead of Kyuhyun.”

“That’s fine. I will pack this one up for you.” Sungmin stood but Ryeowook stopped him.

“No, I’m okay with how it’s now. I’m going to eat it anyway on my way. Is it same?”

Sungmin shook his head and Ryeowook grinned. “I love your muffins. Thank you! And oh!”

Sungmin tried not to be bothered by how Ryeowook’s hand slid down on his arm, squeezing his wrist gently.

“I’m happy you are not avoiding me forever. Just tell me when you’re upset, okay?”

Sungmin hummed and nodded. Ryeowook smiled and jogged out of the café. Hyukjae was on his side instantly.

“So? Did you ask—“

“Shut up.”

“God, are you blushing?”

“I said, shut up!”

 

***

 

Sungmin was middle of getting out of his bed on his rare day off two days later when his phone went off and Hyukjae was calling. Sungmin was ready to go to work if needed but instead the call went more like: “He loves you.”  Sungmin groaned and sunk back into bed.

“Hyukjae, please…”

No, he really loves you. And! I don’t want to spoil it for you but his recent vblog… go watch it.”

“Hyukjae, what---“

Do it. I’m calling back to you later so be sure you have watched it.” And the line was cut. Sungmin stared at the phone until he dropped it in the bed. He had to get up to get his lap top and a cup of coffee until he was back in bed. He reached out for his jeans lying on the nearest chair and fished out the crumbled piece of paper. He typed in the address and the site that opened up was exactly what he had assumed it to be. It was like Ryeowook: bubbly, lively and happy. He scrolled down for couple of posts, posts about some bakery near the train station and something about instant noodles and Kyuhyun’s clumsiness. He also saw couple of videos but ignored them and went to the most recent video, titled “Happy again.”

 

Sungmin took a sip from his coffee, thinking what Hyukjae said and clicked the play button. He was already too deep into this to stop.

 

The video was filmed in (Sungmin assumed) Ryeowook’s (and Kyuhyun’s, Sungmin recalled, grimacing) room. He couldn’t make a lot of it, just a bed behind Ryeowook, who was smiling at the camera in his stupidly big sweater.

“Hi! Sorry I haven’t been able to make videos for such a long time. My friend has been busy with his school so we couldn’t have gone together! If you have any places in mind you want us to go, tell me! “

Sungmin wanted to hide behind his pillow and scream into it, Ryeowook was acting so cute and nice he wasn’t sure if he deserved to see this.

“But the point of this video isn’t just to tell you that. Something really nice happened today, and because it includes food, I wanted to make a video without my friend’s help to share my happiness with you. I did mention couple of posts back that I was a little bit moody because of this one person but he surprised me today and I just… oh God. Do you know this feeling? You already know that the person is nice and everything but then they do something that makes you---“

Sungmin paused the video. Even thou excited and blushing Ryeowook was nice to watch at, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to continue. He picked up his phone and called Hyukjae. Right after the call got through he opened his mouth, not letting Hyukjae to speak.

“Does he confess on the video?”

Kind of.”

“Kind of? What’s that supposed to mean?”

Watch it until the end. And read the comments.”

Sungmin groaned as Hyukjae hung up on him and pressed play.

“—fall more for them? Okay, that’s cheesy and I don’t think he likes me the way I like him but anyway. I’m just happy that he is talking to me again and…”Ryeowook smiled at the camera, like he had the sweetest secret to share. “He baked for me. He didn’t say it but I know what they have in their cafe.”

 

And the video was cut. Sungmin whined (not knowing why actually) and started to go through the comments. Some of the people were happy for Ryeowook, some were asking about this mysterious person, some giving  recommendations of places to visit and one asking why haven’t he visited his crush’s place. Ryeowook had answered to that: “I don’t like sharing~ : ) “.

 

***

 

“I need him to say it to my face.”

Hyukjae stopped shaping the cookies as Sungmin slammed the washing machine’s lid to shut.

“That he loves you?”

“Yes.”

“And what are you going to do when he does it?”

“I don’t know.”

Hyukjae groaned. “I thought you were done with this denial phase of yours.”

Sungmin sighed, rubbing his eyes.

“I kind of am, but I’m confused. I usually don’t go for cute and young guys.”

Sungmin had gone through many Ryeowook’s videos after that day. Mostly Ryeowook was seen alone in his videos, sometimes Kyuhyun was commenting something behind the camera and once or twice both of them had been staring the video. Sungmin knew it was stupid but he was kind of annoyed how close Ryeowook was with Kyuhyun. They were best friends and of course they were close, he and Hyukjae were close too. Hyukjae patted his head.

“I think you have to just ask.”

“I can’t go up to him and ask if he fancies about me.”

“You can ask him on a date…?”

Sungmin groaned. “I didn’t remember this being so hard…” Hyukjae laughed at him.

“It was never easy.”

“But now it seems so… stupid. I’m too old for this.”

“No you’re not. To be honest, I think this is like the first guy after… after… whatever his name was, who you haven’t ed first. No, that came wrong. I mean—“

“Yeah, I got that. I used be a and then I grew old and just stopped caring about finding a one true love.” Sungmin sighed rolling his eyes and Hyukja snorted and patted his head.

“This might be true love.”

“Shut up.”

“What would you do if it was the younger you? Other than him.”

Sungmin stared at Hyukjae and sneered.

“All I did was people I was attracted to.”

Hyukjae sighed. “You should just ask, that’s what I have been telling you all along.”

They fell into silence after that Sungmin watching his friend to work with the cookies.

“If you really want anything out of this, I think it has to be you who makes the first move”, Hyukjae commented suddenly and Sungmin sighed. Hyukjae might be right. To this point Ryeowook really hadn't made it specificly clear that he was having a crush on him. Maybe everything Hyukjae was saying had a point.

 

***

 

(((  “Why you did that?”

“Kyuhyun, why are you upset about the video? It was just short one, I’m capable doing it on my own sometimes.”

“It was basically a love confession to… to him!”

Ryeowook took a sharp breath in between his teeth, standing middle of their shared room. Kyuhyun had spun around with his chair and was staring at him and all the anger and hurt was seen through his eyes. Ryeowook knew his friend well and he knew how to handle angry Kyuhyun but this was totally different. Humiliated, angry and hurt Kyuhyun was something Ryeowook had never figured out how to deal with.

“No it wasn’t. I… we can’t do a post about them so I just wanted to share that info about the best muffins---“

Kyuhyun stood up so suddenly that Ryeowook jerked back, almost tripping on his feet.

“We don’t make a post about him because you don’t like sharing! What about me? I don’t like sharing either!”

“Kyuhyun, we have been through this, I’m sorry really—“

“I know you’re sorry but I don’t see the point of this. You have no plans on confessing to him and you just make me so angry!” Kyuhyun took a step closer and Ryeowook stood rooted on his spot, he knew better than take a step back.

“You just hurt yourself by running after him and you hurt me! You just hurt everybody, that’s what you do!”

Ryeowook opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out and as Kyuhyun took a hold of his hand, he realized he was trembling.

“You try to make everything so good for you that you don’t even realize how much you mess with people around you! It’s not healthy.”

“As you said, he is not even aware of my feelings so it’s mainly with you I mess around, that’s what you mean!” Ryeowook snapped and as soon as the words left his mouth he knew it was a wrong move. Kyuhyun inhaled sharply, his hold tightening and Ryeowok winced.

“Then it would be better if I stepped away from you.”

Kyuhyun let go of him and stomped towards the door, reaching for his jacket near it.

“Don’t wait me home, honey.”

The door was slammed shut and Ryeowook fell on the floor, Kyuhyun’s irritated “honey” ringing in his ears. )))

 

___________________________

Yo.

Thank you for all your nice comments, they make my days. ;;w;;

Also, chapter 4 will take a while to be updated but I promise it's all worth of the wait.