Chapter Four

Black & White

Sojin drowsily woke up with her arms wrapped around her legs and her back against her cold wall. She groaned in pain because she felt sore all over. It was strange how her obnoxious alarm clock did not wake her up. Rubbing her eyes, she glanced at her clock and gasped in panic. It was already 9AM. Barely washing her face and combing her hair, she quickly put on her uniform and dashed out the door. Running to school, she put all her hair into a neat bun hoping she would look at least half decent. Sojin arrived at school and walked into the office to get a pass.

"Hey," a voice creeped up from behind her. Sojin turned her head around and said, "Oh, hey."

"You're usually never late," the boy said trying to start a casual conversation. Sojin smiled and responded, "You're usually never late, either."

"Touché," the boy replied. 

"Alright, bye, Lay," Sojin took her pass and waved goodbye. He flashed her a grin showing her his dimple on his right cheek.

Lay and Sojin has gone to the same school since they were five, but never really conversed much. Small conversations were exchanged probably once every two weeks. On a good day, twice every two weeks. Lay was actually one of the few people she liked to speak to considering the fact that she was not the social type.

Since she had missed first period which was physics class, Sojin had to stay after school to make up for her time. She did not like staying in school more than she had to. Nobody does. The class had taken a pop quiz and Sojin slapped herself on the forehead. Physics was never her strong subject and she was hardly getting a C. Luckily, it was multiple choice. The teacher was on her computer typing away while Sojin was blankly staring at the paper thinking about anything but physics. All day, Kai did not escape her mind. So many questions left unanswered.

"Get working or you'll stay here forever," her teacher interrupeted her thoughts and she immediately straightned herself out and pick up her pencil.

Sojin started circling random answers in hopes that she would at least get half of them right.

"Number two is 'B' dummy."

Sojin would never have thought her teacher would call her a dummy, so there was only one person who would appear out of the blue like that. A person that she was hoping to never see again. She could actually feel all the blood draining from her face.

She took a glance at Kai who was staring at her paper and moved her chair away a couple inches away but it was no use since he would just keep going closer and closer.

"You've got all of it wrong actually," he said with his eyes still glued onto her paper.

Sojin scowled at him and ignored his remarks although she knew he was probably right. Even if he was not human. That question still lingered in her head. She went back to focusing on her paper.

"You're so cute when you concentrate," Kai had his hand on the side of his face and his elbow against the table. He was just staring at Sojin's side profile with a slight curve on his lips which made her fiddle in her seat a little since she saw him in the corner of her eyes.

"I'll give you ten more minutes," her teacher informed without looking up at her computer screen. Kai was still there looking at her. It seemed as though her teacher was not aware of his presence.

"Does she not see you?" Sojin asked referring to the teacher.

"As of right now, only you can," Kai answered.

"Are you talking to yourself?" her teacher questioned and Sojin slowly nodded.

"How?" Sojin quietly muttered taking quick looks at her teacher just in case she would question her again. Kai did not plan to answer leaving Sojin to stare at his face for an answer.

Sojin handed in her quiz and headed out the door with Kai right by her side.

"I can make myself visible to certain people and make myself not visible to certain people," he said after a while.

Just as she was going to ask something, Kai suddenly disappeared when Sojin's name was being called out.

Sojin looked around for Kai but he was no where to be found. Instead, she found a panting Lay running for her from behind.

"What are you doing here?" Sojin managed to let out a smile.

"I just got out of basketball practice. And you?"

Sojin had always admired how Lay was good at everything. Sports, academics, you name it. You can even say she was a little jealous of him.

"Had to stay after school because I was late," she responded.

He nodded, "Are you walking home?"

"Yes."

"I'll walk you home then," Lay insisted. Sojin immediately refused and tried telling him she's better off on her own. Honestly, she found it kind of strange since they barely knew each other. Lay paid no attention to all her comments and continued to walk along side with her.

He only laughed and opened the door for her, "Ladies first."


Patience my grasshoppers you shall soon know what Kai is ◕‿◕✿