Melbourne

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the shoot wrapped the following day, the Running Man members filed out of the hotel, ready to depart for Melbourne's domestic airport. They would be flying internally into Sydney before boarding a connecting flight back to Seoul. Ji Hyo and I, having extended our stay for a few days, bade the members goodbye. “Mong Ji, Mong Ji, Mong Ji! Today isn't Monday so I guess it's fine to go have fun without me!” Gary teased in a sing-song voice.

 

I felt a pang of guilt. Perhaps, if I had not said anything, they'd still be dating. He really would be the better partner for Ji Hyo. As if sensing my dark thoughts, the rapper came up to me and clapped me on the shoulder. “Reg, I trust you'll show Mong Ji a good time? I'm sure she's been a good host to you in Seoul, so it's time for you to return the favour.”

 

He kept his tone light, but I sensed a deeper meaning behind it. I felt that he was, in his own way, telling me to take care of the actress, as she had for me. And he was trying to show me, that he was okay with this, with us. I shuffled my feet about, staring down at them self-consciously, before meeting his eyes. “Yeah, I'll try.” I mumbled in reply.

 

I felt Ji Hyo come up next to me, pressing herself against my arm, offering silent support. At this, Gary smiled kindly at Ji Hyo and I. “Good!” He chirped, before turning to Ji Hyo and giving her a friendly hug. “I'll see you next Monday.” He muttered as he broke the hug. Then turning to me, he embraced me as well. I was surprised by the action but returned the hug. “Love is something that can't be earned. How nice would it be, if love is something that you can earn? If everyone gets the love they want?” He breathed against my ear. I recognised it as the lyrics from his song, and caught the meaning behind his words.

 

Then, breaking the contact, he grinned impishly back at us. Winking, he turned and boarded the van. We watched him go before I faced the actress. “You know he's a great guy, right?” I asked softly.

 

“Yeah, I know.” She answered quietly, refusing to look up at me. “But he isn't the one in my heart.” She added, before lifting her eyes to meet my gaze. “Come on! You promised to bring me around and show me a good time. Let's go! Go! Go!” She declared.

 

Shaking my head, I led the way out of the hotel and flagged down a cab.

 

 

Immersing ourselves in all things Melbournian, I brought Ji Hyo out to brunch to a great little café called Seven Seeds. Seven Seeds, like many of the city's best eateries, was tucked away in one of the many backstreets and alleyways of Carlton. If you weren't a local, you'd be hard-pressed to find the place. The café was located in an old brick warehouse, down a side street with absolutely no signage on the front door.

 

Entering the once familiar café with it's brick walls and wooden tables, I inhaled deeply, taking in the inviting scent of freshly roasted and grounded coffee beans. Finding an empty table, we took a seat and a server immediately came up to us with a bottle of iced water, cups and a menu before telling us he'd be back for our orders. The prompt, polite and laid-back Aussie service, brought me back in time. Back to when I was still a student coming here for my morning coffee. I felt at home right away, the familiarity of everything put me at ease and I found myself relaxing and letting down my guard. It was almost as though I was shaking off some invisible bonds that chained me.

 

Turning to Ji Hyo, I smiled. “Seven Seeds is really close to Melbourne University. I used to come here most mornings for my morning coffee. It's become an institution of sorts for students studying at the University. We all know the place... despite it's lack of signage. So, whoever wants great coffee, comes here. To Seven Seeds.” I explained.

 

She smiled back at me and after looking through the menu, we placed our orders. In lieu of Ji Hyo's usual Americano, I ordered a Long Black, the Australasia equivalent of the Americano. A Long Black is similar to an Americano, but because it is made by pouring a double-shot of espresso over hot water, as opposed to an Americano, which is made by adding hot water to the espresso shot, the crema remains intact. Therefore making it more strongly flavoured than an Americano. “No worries! I'll place your orders and I'll be right back with your coffees.” The server informed us cheerfully, as he collected our menus after taking our orders.

 

“Ta.” I said in reply, thanking him.

 

As the café gradually got busier, the friendly and efficient staff bustled about amongst the groovy inner city hipsters. The familiar greetings of, “G'day!” or, “How ya goin'?” filled my ears.

 

“The people here are so friendly and cheerful.” Ji Hyo marvelled, as she smiled in acknowledgement at an older couple who had greeted us. “Ya! Why are you always so grumpy then? You were born here!” She admonished playfully. Grunting, I ignored her. When our coffees arrived, she lifted the cup to her nose and breathed deeply of the coffee before taking a sip. “This coffee is really daebak!” She remarked.

 

“As an undergrad in Melbourne, I've found that many gems of Melbourne are hidden in the backstreets and lanes. Seven Seeds is no exception, serving some of the best coffees in the city.” I related, smiling fondly at the actress. Further chatter ceased as our orders arrived and we tucked into our meal.

 

After brunch, Ji Hyo suggested that since we were near my old University, that we take a walk around the campus grounds. I suspected it was more a case of the actress wanting to find out more about my life here, but I happily obliged. Heading north, I brought her through University Square, en route to the faculty of Business and Economics, where I had read for a Bachelor of Commerce. The school's various ivy-clad stone and brick buildings were beautiful this time of year, all green and lush. Crossing the square, I pointed out the line of maple trees which I used to study under on crisp autumn days to Ji Hyo. “I have lots of fond memories here. I used to revise under these trees on beautiful autumn days.” I said, patting the trunk of a nearby tree, watching as the actress nodded.

 

“It was also where I had my first kiss.” I revealed, grinning cheekily.

 

“Your first kiss was in University?” She asked, a stunned expression on her face.

 

“Why do you seem so surprised?!” I retaliated, slightly defensive. Feeling as though some secret cool code had been impugned.

 

“Nothing. I was just surprised that you'd have your first kiss at such a,” She trailed off, searching for the word. “At such a late stage in your life?” She decided tentatively.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks.” I muttered sarcastically and she laughed softly.

 

“Hey, at least you remembered yours. I don't even remember when I had my first kiss.” She mused.

 

“It was that bad, eh?” I drawled teasingly, while Ji Hyo shook her head in amusement.

 

Her interest however, had been piqued by my revelation. “Was it with a guy?” She asked.

 

“No. It was a girl. I knew early on that I was gay. And in case you were wondering, it wasn't psycho!” I declared fervently. Ji Hyo watched me, her eyes twinkled with mirth and I suddenly felt a little sheepish for my outburst. I shrugged, “She wasn't even a girlfriend. We were young. Didn't know half of what we were doing. Just call it a passing crush.” I offered, scratching the back of my head self-consciously. She smiled and nodded in return.

 

We spent the next couple of hours just wandering about in the city. What was unique about Melbourne, is that although it is a cosmopolitan city, its population was relatively small. Therefore, you have the benefits of a very diverse city, without the problems of a more densely populated area. Thus, Ji Hyo and I were able to wander around in relative peace and comfort. Being a compact city, it was also very walk-able. As we walked, I found that almost every street, every alley had a story, held a memory – The Hungry Jacks at the corner of Elizabeth Street brought back memories of regular late night/early morning food runs. A lifesaver for when we burned the midnight oil studying for our finals.

 

Passing the apartment that I used to rent with a couple of mates, I recounted my life as a student to Ji Hyo. How, like most students, I lived in a perpetual state of messiness (as much as my laziness afforded). The electrifying feeling one got being amongst friends, who were similarly getting their first taste of freedom. How liberating it all was. It was like we were playing grown ups away from our parents and reality, with only brief interludes on this fantasy world being holidays back home.

 

And lastly, of how during the long weekends, we'd jet off to Melbourne's sister city, Sydney. Or take trips to the nearby ski slopes. Ji Hyo smiled at the little anecdotes that I was sharing. I felt bad as I seemed to be hogging the attention and tried to stop, but she only encouraged me by asking more questions, seemingly delighted that I was revealing so much of myself to her. So I continued, regaling the actress with stories of my time here.

 

Cutting back across the University campus, we headed to Melbourne’s very own little Italy on Lygon Street. I brought her to Koko Black, a chocolatier which had some of the best European chocolate in Melbourne. She loved the chocolates there, and I found it especially sweet when she bought a few boxes of chocolate to give to the Running Man production staff for their hard work.

 

After having a cup of iced chocolate, we decided on a late lunch as we hadn't had anything to eat since brunch. Lygon Street is one of the great food precincts of Melbourne and has its origins in the early immigration of Italian migrants to Melbourne. As such, we decided on Italian for lunch. Dozens of quaint Italian restaurants

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter